Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 10 Nov 2008, 08:21 (Ref:2331384)   #1
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Super Touring Register

Im sure everyone is aware of this site http://www.supertouringregister.com/ however having a spare hour I decided to give it a good look clicking on all the history of the cars that back then I found fasinating.

Firstly a great thanks to whoever has put this together and tracking down the history of the cars, my excitment was short lived when looking at some of the history to these wonderful machines though with many sitting unused or dismantled, what a shame.

As these cars represent part of the BTCC heritage I would have thought more interest would be there to restore them, some owners have done a restoration project restoring back the liverys as they would have been and this is fantastic for us fans.

One situation drew my attention in the Renault 19 which the owners club have purchased which is a great idea, maybe such a plan could be copied with a BTCC fan based fund?

The Mansell Mondeo was the star for me and I'm pleased to see it in the same livery as when it left WSR's hands, could this be the most valuable super tourer in BTCC?

Any thoughts from others on how we can preserve these cars and bring them out of barns/garages for us to see?

With the up coming revival planned at Silverstone in 2009 maybe this will create more interest to do something?

Last edited by Icebaby; 10 Nov 2008 at 08:31.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 09:20 (Ref:2332335)   #2
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its Nigel Clark who is behind that excellent site, he is a frequent member of this forum.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 09:26 (Ref:2332337)   #3
Icebaby
Veteran

Thanks for the info and to Nigel for putting in such a great effort to bring this information to us.

Suprised to see no updates to the WSR MG's, anyone know their fate as i don't think they were used outside the BTCC, Leggette and Hughes have 1 and WSR have one at their factory but what of the other chassis's made?

Also the Seat Toledos ?
Old 10 Nov 2008, 09:50 (Ref:2332348)   #4
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The MG's (BTC) are not of Super Touring-specification, nor is the Seat Toledo's (S2000).
Old 10 Nov 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2332460)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Thanks Icebaby. It's been far more work that I had originally expected and it's still nowhere near finished. There's currently just over 200 cars listed and I suspect there's as many more still to be discovered.

Some of the current owners have been very helpful but often it's a case of getting small snippets of info and trying to join them together by working out which bits refer to the same car. Sometimes I can find a reference on another website but unless it's in English I've got no idea what it means.

The original idea was to cover just Super Touring (1995-2000) but I've included a number of earlier cars built to Class 2 regs as many were converted to full ST-spec. I've got no plans to include any of the later BTC-T and S2000 cars.

J, that reminds me, you were going to get me some more info on Flash's 2 Volvos.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 13:53 (Ref:2332465)   #6
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Sometimes I can find a reference on another website but unless it's in English I've got no idea what it means.
If you need help translating from German into English, just send a PM.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 14:07 (Ref:2332474)   #7
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
J, that reminds me, you were going to get me some more info on Flash's 2 Volvos.
What do you need?
Old 10 Nov 2008, 17:01 (Ref:2332562)   #8
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
The Mansell Mondeo was the star for me and I'm pleased to see it in the same livery as when it left WSR's hands, could this be the most valuable super tourer in BTCC?
I wouldn't say so. The car was a dog. I'm fascinated by Nigel's website, I like seeing where cars have been and raced after their time in the BTCC and other ST series.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 17:12 (Ref:2332565)   #9
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great site!

I will see to, that a further BMW 320 STW ex-Cecotto is added. The car is currently in DK, looking for a new mum and dad
Old 10 Nov 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2332568)   #10
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know Nigel puts a lot of work into his site. Sometimes I wonder if he has taken on too much as it seems a Monster of a job!

But he has produced a fantastic site for anyone interested in the Supertouring era!

Keep up the good work Nigel!
Old 10 Nov 2008, 17:47 (Ref:2332590)   #11
Icebaby
Veteran

Hopefully by keeping this website in the spot light will prompt owners of the cars Nigel still needs info and photos on to get in touch.

Its sad though that so many are stripped of parts and not being restored, I really would have thought more preservation would have gone into them. Volvo have at least kept the 850 estate on display but suprised other manufacturers have not who had so much success.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 18:31 (Ref:2332614)   #12
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeissner
What do you need?
Pictures, race history (with dates, venues and results if you have it), the keys and a couple of hours at a local track

Aslak, that would be great, thanks.

If anyone else can help filling in a few gaps do please let me know.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 20:23 (Ref:2332671)   #13
THIM
Racer

Poland
THIM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
Great site!

I will see to, that a further BMW 320 STW ex-Cecotto is added. The car is currently in DK, looking for a new mum and dad
One of those, also ex-Cecotto, is being displayed in BMW Museum in Munchen. As I remember, it's STW title winner.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 13:10 (Ref:2333083)   #14
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by THIM
One of those, also ex-Cecotto, is being displayed in BMW Museum in Munchen. As I remember, it's STW title winner.
Presumably the '98 STW winner, driven by Fredrik Ekblom in STCC '99? It was supposed to go the museum after the STW title win but Mr. Jönsson-Wigroth at West Coast Racing persuaded BMW to use it in order to defend their '98 STCC title.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 13:17 (Ref:2333088)   #15
SEATFreak
Racer

Spain
SEATFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As someone whose childhood "difficulty" means his intellectual capacity for information as well as stats and facts rates, on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest, probably closer to 1 than 10, I find that already the site is a very valuable asset which I hope can grow very big.

And with www.supertouring.co.uk the future of information on the Super Touring era looks very good indeed.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 13:38 (Ref:2333106)   #16
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Prodrive still have "live" examples of the Accord and Mondeo in their museum - I think I have pictures somewhere of these but no details as to chassis numbers.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 18:27 (Ref:2333250)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great site, I followed Class 2/Supertouring from start to finish.

If only current cars sounded llike this http://www.supertouringregister.com/videos/trxCgy-Oqa4 and this http://www.supertouringregister.com/videos/zvcv3gtYFp4 .
Old 11 Nov 2008, 20:20 (Ref:2333325)   #18
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Great site, I followed Class 2/Supertouring from start to finish.

If only current cars sounded llike this http://www.supertouringregister.com/videos/trxCgy-Oqa4 and this http://www.supertouringregister.com/videos/zvcv3gtYFp4 .
These STW cars just sound so naughty, also did the BMW E36 STW, which I supported in DK. The backfire and the fullthrottle was amazing
Old 11 Nov 2008, 21:05 (Ref:2333352)   #19
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Prodrive still have "live" examples of the Accord and Mondeo in their museum - I think I have pictures somewhere of these but no details as to chassis numbers.
Found the pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
accord.jpg   mondeo.jpg  
Old 12 Nov 2008, 08:03 (Ref:2333576)   #20
Icebaby
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Found the pictures:
Thanks for the pictures, if only we had chassis numbers so they could be added to the site, an email to Prodrive maybe Nigel?

Does live examples mean they have run recently or simply that they are as they finshed the season but not run since?
Old 12 Nov 2008, 10:09 (Ref:2333611)   #21
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
They are fully working and are used for things like the Goodwood Festival Of Speed - their race days are over but they can be fired up whenever required.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 12:48 (Ref:2333676)   #22
avro
Racer

avro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you will find most of the manufacturers cars held in museams are not able to be run.

At Goodwood Nissan used a 1999 Primera that is owned by Pro Motorsport, Honda use a 1999 Accord owned by JAS Motorsport (and shipped it from Milan), and Ford used a 2000 Mondeo owned by Alvin Powell.

The Prodrive cars dont move !!

Watch out for LMA Eurosaloons in 2009 with a good chance there will be a Super Tourer Cup,held over 4 weekends with 8 races, already 8 Super Tourer teams / drivers have verbally committed.

I will post more news when we get confirmation from LMA.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 13:20 (Ref:2333705)   #23
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by avro
The Prodrive cars dont move !!
Not what we were told whilst at Prodrive - they said that all the cars in that part of the musuem with the exception of the F1 car were in full working order and could be driven (the 6R4 recently had been judging by the dirt!).

Good news about the LMA stuff though I caught them at Brands this year and enjoyed seeing the Super Tourers in action
Old 12 Nov 2008, 13:50 (Ref:2333716)   #24
redshoes
Veteran

You need to look at any static cars as not everything is what it seems. Often teams would build a 'show' car with little more than the basic running gear. Sometimes it will be newly built but I have seen occasions where they will use an old race shell and whatever running gear is going spare. As long as the livery is correct and the aero package looks roughly right most people won't tell the difference.

Vauxhall used to have a 94 Cleland Cavalier which if you looked close enough was obviously a stripped out road car. Not SuperTouring but more recently the Alfa that Team 48 had at the media day this year was an old shell and bitsa special.

In the case of the two Prodrive cars I believe that both are/were genuine race cars, although neither has been near a track for many years.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 14:12 (Ref:2333725)   #25
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
I've got a tonne of pictures for you on our 850 and our S40, where do you want them?