Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 9 Apr 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1274037)   #1
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TWR Jaguar XJS Group A

In the Australian tourers section there has been some discussion on the
history of some of the Group A cars. Back in 1989 a TWR built Holden
Commodore VL was shipped to Australia with chassis number TWR022. Does
anybody know if this is in the same sequence that TWR used for its
preceding Mazdas, Jaguars and Rovers and subsequent Volvos and if we could get an approximate date of build? Am I correct in believing that there
were 4 Jaguar XJS' built?
Old 10 Apr 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1274739)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think TWR built more than four cars. In the ETCC they ran one car for most of 1982 and this became two at the TT late in the year. I think it was two in '83 and three in '84 (generally). Then there were the final few races (Macau '84, Bathurst '85 and Wellington '87), but these seem to be the old cars. How many were built for this task I don't know. Only two in '82, but did these cars get developed or were new ones built? TWR used to develop the same chassis in the Group C days.

The JDHT (Jagaur Daimler Heritage Trust) bought what was described as "#007" or "TWR JC-84A 007" when Tom's cars were being sold off. So I assume there were at least seven. I don't know how that number relates to the above suggestion. This car was built in Jan '84 and was used by Tom Walkinshaw throughout '84 including a win at Spa 24 hours.

The TWR JC-84A 007 contains some information. I doubt that the numbering system you mention ran through all Tom's cars, but you never know. Maybe the 007 part translates to your suggestion? However it could have got quite confusing as there was some overlap of Rovers and XJSs for instance. In 1986 TWR was running six cars at one point (Jaguars and Rovers!).

So, in conclusion, I don't know, but am interested too!

Last edited by Adam43; 10 Apr 2005 at 15:12.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 21:31 (Ref:1275881)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I meant in 1984 TWR were running...
not 1986. Sorry.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1276140)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
After disussion with toruinglegend we decided to try this one in historic
Old 12 Apr 2005, 13:14 (Ref:1276323)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know whether it has any relevance but I own the TWR BMW 335i featured in an article in Motor Sport for August 1982. I believe it was the only one built. Although it carries the original BMW 323i chassis number the engine number stamped on the block is TWR001.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1277029)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I've seen that article recently while trying to find out info on the TWR '82 XJSs. I'll have another read tonight

It is certainly possible that it falls in with the above numbering, although it is only circumstantial evidence.

Last edited by Adam43; 13 Apr 2005 at 11:01.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1277177)   #7
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Thoroughbred & Classic cars July 1989:

There were seven TWR XJ-S race cars built, and they all still exist. Chassis numbers 001, 002, 003 and 006 are retained by TWR, and it is worth noting that 003 is the car Chuck Nicholson was driving when he was caught up in the shunt in the TT in 1984; it was rebuilt and used for testing after that. Chassis 007 was sold to a Scottish enthusiast, while 005 of course is the Tony Kember car tested here. And 004? Well, dear readers, it is for sale and, as I cannot afford it, you are still in with a chance if you contact Tom Walkinshaw Racing now!"

Jesper
Old 13 Apr 2005, 16:01 (Ref:1277263)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A big lottery win would be most timely now!
Old 13 Apr 2005, 22:54 (Ref:1277642)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Jesper, thanks for that information. Odd that 007 was described as sold as this was the one sold off in the TWR auction. Although it did say to a "Scottish enthusiast"

What you need is a replica of one of these...
Old 29 May 2006, 10:31 (Ref:1621839)   #10
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the Dec 95 MotorSport Duncan Hamilton is offering a 1983 Ex worksTWR XJS.
The ad says the car has many ETC wins and is the only road registered (4 PH is the plate in the image) race car. Its still complete with Jacks cage etc.

I wonder if its still on the road?
Old 3 Feb 2007, 07:24 (Ref:1832378)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am led to believe from one of our Jag-o-phile posters that the #004 chassis has been brought to Melbourne, by longtime Jag tuner and racer Mike Roddy...

I hope it graces the circuits here, and doesnt remain a garage queen.

Do we have any idea as to the history of #004? Is it one of the three cars that made it to Bathurst in 1985?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Feb 2007, 00:27 (Ref:1833597)   #12
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
john goss raced a jag at barfhurst but i think it was a locally built car then twr came later wth his own machines
i know of 1 car in private hands
chuck nicholson i think owns his old race car

jag heritage now own 007 after stiff bidding
if 1 car004 has gone to oz that leaves 3 "missing" so what happened to the others?
if the mag article refers to 07 beingsold toa scottish enthusiast that could have meant TW himself!!
Old 1 Apr 2007, 22:03 (Ref:1881515)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Do we have any idea as to the history of #004? Is it one of the three cars that made it to Bathurst in 1985?
004 never raced at Bathurst. It was prepared for the '84 ETCC and claimed some wins and other podium places. At the TT that year it was the car that 'Chuck' lost in the heavy downpour (I was there!). It never raced after that.

In 1989 it was rebuilt by TWR to '85 specification and sold to John Crow (Southern Classics). Larry Kinch bought it and moved it to Aberdeen after which Mike Roddy acquired it and is currently restoring it.

The source for all this is Jaguar World April 2007. It carries many detail photos and promises a further report when it hits the track.
Old 7 May 2007, 09:33 (Ref:1908200)   #14
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Roddy's Jag -
Mike was about to purchase a Group 44 XJ-S until he heard of the TWR XJ-S. 004 won Donington, Salzberg and Spa. As Adam said it went to John Crow before Larry Kinch and now Mike Roddy. The Jag is being put back to running order alongside Mikes new XJ-S Sports Sedan and XJ-S Marque Sports Car. Mikes son Jordan (the same one that raced the Sports Sedan) will drive the TWR car at various event's once it is up to racing. Mike had it at the Phillip Island Historics in March and is hoping to have it running for Sandown in November from what he was saying.

Also John Goss is trying to get a log book for his XJ-S however he hasn't got a certificate of description yet and there is some argument as to if it was actually ever raced...

Edit: I presume we can put pictures up here? If so I have a couple I can put up
Old 7 May 2007, 10:15 (Ref:1908218)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullett
Edit: I presume we can put pictures up here? If so I have a couple I can put up
Of course. Either go to advanced and use the manage attachments option, or post them using the IMG tag, e.g. [ img]http://www.pictures.com/mypicture.jpg[/ img] (no spaces in the tag). Usual forum rules apply to pictures.
Old 8 May 2007, 12:04 (Ref:1908948)   #16
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
I have some more on #004,

“The first of the four chassis constructed by TWR that won the 1984 European Touring Car Championship for Jaguar. The chassis’ race record looks like this:
Wins: x3
Seconds: x2
Thirds: x1
Other 1 x 5th
The most successful result was of course the Spa 24 hour race where this was the sole Jaguar driver by Walkinshaw, Win Percy and Hans Heyer. For a majority of the season the car was used by the pairing of Chuck Nicholson and Win Percy featuring with a win at the Donnington 500”

Source Mike Roddy

Old 8 May 2007, 12:09 (Ref:1908951)   #17
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
The John Goss XJ-S wasn't a TWR chassis but was a TWR team car in Australia.

John Goss Group A XJ-S

P.S. Mike Roddy has actually been involved in the restoration of this car as well.

“John Goss' car is chassis “#101” which was built in 1980 by Jaguar at Browns Lane. It was originally developed as a Group C car by ‘Goss Motorsport’ and competed in the 1983 Bathurst 1000 by John Goss and Bob Tullius of Group 44.
In 1984 it was further developed and driven in the 1000 by John Goss and Tom Walkinshaw. In that same race it was recorded at a stunning 183 Miles Per Hour down Conrod Straight, the highest speed ever by a Touring Car down Conrod.
In 1985 Group A regulations were introduced, #101 was then developed as the back up car for the Bathurst 1000 which of course was won by a TWR XJ-S.” #101 now lives in the final configuration it ran in as a Group A XJ-S from 1985 still owned by John Goss

Source John Goss

An interesting story from John himself is that back at the 1000 they blew an engine up, they went and bought a new one from the nearest Jaguar dealer and just attached the management units and extractors etc. and away they went, they didn’t do anything to the internals such was the ability of the Jag's standard internals.

Hope this has been of some help
Old 13 Oct 2007, 07:01 (Ref:2039031)   #18
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
For anyone interested, Mike Roddy will be racing TWR #004 at the Sandown Historics on November 9-11 in Group A & C Touring Cars.
Old 9 Dec 2007, 07:41 (Ref:2084707)   #19
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Im suprised no one has added to this, but it has been confirmed by many that #004 is in fact the Bathurst winning car and also the car Denny Hulme crashed in NZ.
Old 9 Dec 2007, 08:05 (Ref:2084712)   #20
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the Goss car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullett
The John Goss XJ-S wasn't a TWR chassis but was a TWR team car in Australia.

John Goss Group A XJ-S

P.S. Mike Roddy has actually been involved in the restoration of this car as well.

“John Goss' car is chassis “#101” which was built in 1980 by Jaguar at Browns Lane. It was originally developed as a Group C car by ‘Goss Motorsport’ and competed in the 1983 Bathurst 1000 by John Goss and Bob Tullius of Group 44.
In 1984 it was further developed and driven in the 1000 by John Goss and Tom Walkinshaw. In that same race it was recorded at a stunning 183 Miles Per Hour down Conrod Straight, the highest speed ever by a Touring Car down Conrod.
In 1985 Group A regulations were introduced, #101 was then developed as the back up car for the Bathurst 1000 which of course was won by a TWR XJ-S.” #101 now lives in the final configuration it ran in as a Group A XJ-S from 1985 still owned by John Goss

Source John Goss

An interesting story from John himself is that back at the 1000 they blew an engine up, they went and bought a new one from the nearest Jaguar dealer and just attached the management units and extractors etc. and away they went, they didn’t do anything to the internals such was the ability of the Jag's standard internals.

Hope this has been of some help
I seem to remember Goss running the XJS after winning Bathurst in the TWR car - Citibank colours / anyone ?
Old 18 Dec 2007, 10:34 (Ref:2091151)   #21
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
I seem to remember Goss running the XJS after winning Bathurst in the TWR car - Citibank colours / anyone ?
That is highly likely to be the car Goss is claiming as the TWR XJS he own...
Old 18 Dec 2007, 10:57 (Ref:2091166)   #22
A9X05
Racer

A9X05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah in 1986 he raced it with CITYBANK warpaint I have read that This same car has been brought back to life and repainted as the REPLICA of the TWR No.10 1985 Bathuurst winner! Gossy runs it at Historic Events!
Old 20 Sep 2008, 04:50 (Ref:2294082)   #23
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Muscle Car Masters downunder

2 x XJS out at the Muscle Car Masters meeting : the TWR XJS now owned by Mike Roddy & the Aussie built ex Wilmington version.
Old 20 Sep 2008, 05:30 (Ref:2294091)   #24
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
2 x XJS out at the Muscle Car Masters meeting : the TWR XJS now owned by Mike Roddy & the Aussie built ex Wilmington version.
and the John Clinton Group A XJS ?
Old 20 Sep 2008, 10:11 (Ref:2294117)   #25
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
on a slighty different note
1 of the XJ12C Gp 2 car was sold at Goodowood yesterday£80k