Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 May 2008, 11:07 (Ref:2193699)   #26
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ITV4 is showing it in the UK [starts at 12.30 through to 17.30 again I think]. Their website says you can pick a channel to watch live [see here on the right hand side] and seems to suggest it might be slightly delayed but looks like you might be in luck - best to check it in about half an hour I'd suggest!
Old 4 May 2008, 11:58 (Ref:2193728)   #27
Zamppa
Rookie

Finland
Hellsink
Zamppa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV has a stream but it's limited to people in UK. You can get around it with a proxy if you can find one.

Rather eventful start for the race there...
Old 4 May 2008, 12:08 (Ref:2193736)   #28
racingnut
Rookie

China
China
racingnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes, i can't watch it from here...where can i find a proxy?
Old 4 May 2008, 12:58 (Ref:2193759)   #29
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ah sorry I didn't realise that.......

Let's hope the second race has less SC periods!
Old 4 May 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2193765)   #30
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hate flagged starts, there so ambiguous. Why couldn't the flag waver simply hold it up closed, then drop it ?
Old 4 May 2008, 13:16 (Ref:2193769)   #31
Suze
Veteran

England
well at least the lights seem to be working again now......

Would have been easier if he'd done as you described, touringlegend, though for the sake of argument as the commentators said, Turkington did go before it dropped. [Though in Turkington's defence he was probably fired up and just waiting to see it move]. Shame really What happened between him and Erkut when he rejoined after his drive through?
Old 4 May 2008, 15:07 (Ref:2193815)   #32
roachy101
Racer

roachy101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they collided with turkington ending in the gravel and erkut done a little priouette. both rejoined
Old 4 May 2008, 15:09 (Ref:2193816)   #33
Suze
Veteran

England
Saw them both rejoining and them in the gravel but didn't catch the original impact [well I presume they hit rather than went off trying to avoid each other?] so wasn't sure if it was a racing incident or somebody just not checking their mirrors properly?

Conditions still look "interesting", F Renault on ITV4 at the moment.
Old 4 May 2008, 16:32 (Ref:2193846)   #34
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whoops Fabrizio.

SEAT find their form with two wins and jump up into 2nd in the teams and drivers championships as Mat Jackson falls well back.

Amazing attitude from Tom Onslow-Cole there, almost has his race ruined by his team mate and takes it on the chin with no spite at all. Very impressive.
Old 4 May 2008, 17:05 (Ref:2193858)   #35
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got to feel for Onslow-Cole, fastest by far in the dry, and should have won both the first and last race's.

Good to see BTC Racing doing well again with the new car, and Stockton showing he's actually quite a good driver.

Overall, not a great weekend though. The races were a bit boring and not as much action as usual.
Old 4 May 2008, 17:12 (Ref:2193862)   #36
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the contrary I thought! Chilton/Jackson heading off together at the old hairpin, Shedden heading off down the Craners and missing the VX's by a hair's breadth etc!

Then some people just not doing themselves any favours, Mr Neal and Mr Giovanardi. Ted Kravitz said that Gio had slunk off without wanting to talk to ITV, I didn't see the problem, Gio just made a mistake. I think perhaps TOC just braked longer because of the BTC Seat off at the final corner and it caught out Fabrizio.
Old 4 May 2008, 17:14 (Ref:2193865)   #37
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Whoops Fabrizio.

Amazing attitude from Tom Onslow-Cole there, almost has his race ruined by his team mate and takes it on the chin with no spite at all. Very impressive.
Possibly realised he was holding his team mate up, despite being lighter, and should have moved over. Giovanardi was the only one of them who looked like he might pass Turner, given the chance.
Old 4 May 2008, 17:20 (Ref:2193871)   #38
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think Gio was being held up, he was just better on the brakes in that section. I imagine Gio had slunked off to apologise to the team and explain what happened, ad why he threw away what could so easily have been a VXR 1-2.

The BMW's had an awful weekend. You've got to think that if you can have weekends as bad as that just cos of a bit of moisture, surely RWD isn't worth all the hassle, and the teams could just play it safe buying FWD machinery.

Not that BMW would ever go to FWD.
Old 4 May 2008, 18:20 (Ref:2193900)   #39
btcckid
Racer

United Kingdom
england
btcckid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good races today-loads of action-feel sorry for george though cos he's got 1 less wheel with him to take back !
Old 4 May 2008, 18:41 (Ref:2193914)   #40
mosler lover
Rookie

England
8 miles from Donington, England
mosler lover should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb
Overall, not a great weekend though. The races were a bit boring and not as much action as usual.
Don't know where you were looking; I'm just back from a day spent overlooking the old hairpin where there was plenty of tin-ripping. And watching Jackson being polite but firm with Onslow-Cole after their coming together.

But what about the lack of Shardlow beer at Starkey's Bar? Sod the fancy decking, get some decent beers in!
Old 4 May 2008, 19:22 (Ref:2193931)   #41
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely, loads of great racing and a bit of the weather to spice things up. Ginetta's are becoming my favourite support race though, Dino Zamprelli is silly quick! Still not convinced with the Porsches though, the second race for them helped a lot with the 6 car train, but the distances are too long, especially when the field stretches out.

It did seem like none of the BMW's got a handle on the weekend, VXR and Seat were just on the button.

Quote of the day though:

Hyde to Gow on the grid for race 3: ''What about the weather Alan, did you plan it?''

Gow: ''Its mega!''

BTW, anyone got info on that quick Transit that was out during the lunch break, we missed it but snapped some pics in the holding area.
Old 4 May 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2193932)   #42
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
I hate flagged starts, there so ambiguous. Why couldn't the flag waver simply hold it up closed, then drop it ?
Why can't the MSA change the rules so that instead of using a flag, they go for a start behind the safety car if the lights fail? It would probably be slightly quicker, too ...
Old 4 May 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2193971)   #43
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, great days racing. Good to have the big screen there this year, also nice to see the improvements they're making to the venue. From where we were watching at the Old Hairpin we were not impressed with Chilton's driving, although having watched the ITV coverage now maybe we were being a bit harsh.

Thought Onslow-Cole's save after Gio punted him was a superb bit of control (we were lucky enough to be watching at the chicane for the final race), and he was pretty cool about it in his interview too. Starting to be very impressed with him. Andrew Jordan gets my driver of the day though - unlucky in race 3, but brilliant in 1 & 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by medius
BTW, anyone got info on that quick Transit that was out during the lunch break, we missed it but snapped some pics in the holding area.
From memory, it's pretty much a Jag XJ220 with a Transit body!
Old 4 May 2008, 20:30 (Ref:2193978)   #44
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc
From memory, it's pretty much a Jag XJ220 with a Transit body!
Better looking than the XJ220 too...

An entertaining day's racing, viewed from the outside of the Old Hairpin - gives you a fantastic view of the various lines taken through Craner ... some a little more conventional than others!
Old 4 May 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2194060)   #45
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb
I think you're on your own with that opinion.

Are you sure you weren't watching the A1 GP Sprint Race? (or an F1 race)
Old 4 May 2008, 23:58 (Ref:2194078)   #46
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Why can't the MSA change the rules so that instead of using a flag, they go for a start behind the safety car if the lights fail?
If they can't even turn a lightbulb on, what is the chances they will be able to start up the safety car?

In any case, GREAT racing, and I'm thrilled to see so few incidents that could even plausably be seen as deliberate, especially at the front in the very tricky weather conditions. Definitly a positive trend lately in BTCC on that end, even among the old infamous naughty boys.
Old 5 May 2008, 07:52 (Ref:2194206)   #47
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Why can't the MSA change the rules so that instead of using a flag, they go for a start behind the safety car if the lights fail? It would probably be slightly quicker, too ...
That would encourage some vandalism. Any FWD-team will want the lights to fail at the start. For fairness, they should have rolling starts.
Old 5 May 2008, 08:15 (Ref:2194217)   #48
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good days racing and glad I was by the old hairpin where many incidents happened.

Team RAC had a mare of a weekend , I still stand by my judgement of Jelley, he's had enough time to prove himself and has 1 point, it just cant go on.

Colin seemed upbeat about the flag situation but I rekon he was furious behind the scenes.

Tom Chilton and Matt Jackson Incident seemed 50/50 although I quite enjoyed the friendly talk afterwards!

Rob Collard was waving at Toledo driver who punted him off the lap before cheering him on which was very nice to see....

Shame on Alison as he looked strong all weekend only to go off hard in race 1 never to be seen again.

Good clean drive by Plato, Gio seemed mistake prone and Neal founf himself doing well until Tom Chilton saw a gap....

As the Independants in BMW's had bad days Adam Jones just kept banking the points and giving racing room out on track to avoid damage or Incident, if it keeps raining at these rounds he could well be the man to win it.
Old 5 May 2008, 08:36 (Ref:2194226)   #49
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So £10 on Adam Jones for the Independants title?

[

Last edited by Icebaby; 5 May 2008 at 08:46.
Old 5 May 2008, 09:42 (Ref:2194271)   #50
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius
Was it this one?

That's the Ford Transit Supervan 3, originally had a Ford V8 Formula 1 engine in it, but for convenience reasons it was later replaced by a V6. For more info:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/to...Supervan-3.htm