Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 May 2014, 13:21 (Ref:3402837)   #51
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Plato found that area in Qualifying in 2012.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRV5_lQ9M4E

John Cleland found the ditch in the 90s in the Cavalier, though I can't find footage of that.

The biggest issue I feel is funds for improvement. Autosport reported in the last couple of years that the restrictive useage of the circuit means that the karting track on location open 7 days a week earns as much as the main track open for a fraction of that as noisey event days. In my opinion, armco with double or triple layer tyres and a conveyor belt is the most cost effective solution (similar to what is already in place outside of the Campbell/Cobb/Segrave complex through to Noble and Goodwood. Though this could be the result, but still better than cars in trees. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjwn-0h8ujo

At the end of the day though, no accident at that part of the track will be a small one, the solution to that would be to slow the cars down with a tweak to the layout, maybe tightening Goodwood into a right-left right chicane, similar to how Coram at goes into Murrays at Snetterton. But I think that is the last that anyone would want. Drivers like the challenge and its a track that sorts the quick guys from the properly quick ones.
Old 6 May 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3402863)   #52
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Can't remember Cleland going off there. I know Menu, Watts and Muller went into the ditch in the 90s. So did Bristow in 89.
Old 6 May 2014, 17:15 (Ref:3402936)   #53
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'd be firmly against any changes to the track itself, however improvements to the run off and barriers I would support.
Old 6 May 2014, 17:40 (Ref:3402958)   #54
CarsCarsCars
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
CarsCarsCars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I'd be firmly against any changes to the track itself, however improvements to the run off and barriers I would support.
I agree. The track itself should remain unchanged.
Old 6 May 2014, 19:24 (Ref:3403014)   #55
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah - for a track that has 'The Fastest Race Circuit in the UK' as not only its 'tagline' but also as a footer to every bit of signage in the place (even on the ladies & gents signs for the paddock toilets!), losing Church as it is would be a disaster.

Saddening to hear that the few allowed race days don't even surpass the kart activities in terms of money brought in - though I returned to Thruxton this weekend for the first time in a good few years and it was by far the most people I'd ever seen for a BTCC meet. Anyway, time to rethink the driving experience I was putting off there, I think.
Old 6 May 2014, 20:24 (Ref:3403043)   #56
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whatever happened to some catch fencing? Hardly an innovation or major expense
Old 6 May 2014, 21:44 (Ref:3403093)   #57
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Hmm:
http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/newsar...ter=1&nid=1639

and

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113806

Jim
Old 6 May 2014, 21:45 (Ref:3403094)   #58
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole View Post
Whatever happened to some catch fencing? Hardly an innovation or major expense
We dropped catch fencing about 30 years ago. Too dangerous.

Jim
Old 6 May 2014, 21:52 (Ref:3403098)   #59
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't mean catch fencing within the run off but in the end of it on top of the usual wall (with tyres in front) like all modern circuits
Old 6 May 2014, 22:00 (Ref:3403102)   #60
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Ah, debris fencing. This is not intended to protect drivers from impact but spectators from debris. No spectators there, so not really the issue.

The issue to be considered is how errant cars are best stopped from going "off-piste".

Jim
Old 6 May 2014, 23:13 (Ref:3403128)   #61
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon Belcher said on TTT that he knocked down a 15ft tree

Simon's team now have t-shirts for sale on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/smbay11?_t...p2047675.l2559
Old 7 May 2014, 06:26 (Ref:3403203)   #62
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Fencing is stopping anything to go off limits for the benefit of everyone. In this case since a car barrel rolled out of the track if anything some proper catch fencing would have stopped it. Sure there were no spectators there but there was one driver.
Old 7 May 2014, 07:12 (Ref:3403209)   #63
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The relevant parties (Thruxton, BARC, MSA, FIA) will assess the incidents and circumstances. This will determine any changes considered necessary.

Fortunately posts on here regarding "what should be done" fall on the irrelevant side.
Old 7 May 2014, 08:18 (Ref:3403236)   #64
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Simon Belcher said on TTT that he knocked down a 15ft tree

Simon's team now have t-shirts for sale on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/smbay11?_t...p2047675.l2559
Ollie Jackson also connected with a tree.
Old 7 May 2014, 08:24 (Ref:3403239)   #65
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
The relevant parties (Thruxton, BARC, MSA, FIA) will assess the incidents and circumstances. This will determine any changes considered necessary.

Fortunately posts on here regarding "what should be done" fall on the irrelevant side.
Including this post above
Old 7 May 2014, 08:58 (Ref:3403251)   #66
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I think Thruxton can count themselves very fortunate that no drivers were seriously injured. Looking at the image below that BTCC Crazy (btcccrazy.co.uk) captured from the ITV coverage it looks pretty clear that the tyre barrier there wasn't even of an acceptable standard before Nick Foster's crash. How anyone could describe the pile of tyres to the right of Nick Foster's crash as any sort of tyre barrier suitable for the environs of a 120 MPH corner is beyond me.

Plato almost launched the barrier there in 2012, so there should have been warning signs from this and by the time Simon Belcher had his crash, there was very little tyre barrier left and he was launched from the remains.

This doesn't need big money spending, it needs a properly built and more substantial tyre barrier that extends away from the tree line.

Aside the from the risk to driver safety, we have also had 4 cars written off in two weekends at huge costs to the teams and drivers, again at Donington why any concrete wall that can be hit by a car is left unprotected by tyres is crazy. The BTCC has been lucky in the last two weekends and it is a testament to the safety of the cars and driver safety equipment, but luck runs out and both the above examples are not expensive or complicated fixes IMO.

Old 7 May 2014, 09:24 (Ref:3403260)   #67
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
The BTCC has been lucky in the last two weekends and it is a testament to the safety of the cars and driver safety equipment, but luck runs out
Extraordinarily lucky. We need to be very thankful that we've not been discussing the unthinkable these last few days.
Old 7 May 2014, 09:36 (Ref:3403266)   #68
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post

You're aware that this is a discussion forum right?
Old 7 May 2014, 09:53 (Ref:3403272)   #69
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
You're aware that this is a discussion forum right?

Jim
Old 7 May 2014, 10:02 (Ref:3403276)   #70
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsCarsCars View Post
Maybe a high-grip tarmac like is used at Paul Ricard. With a small strip of grass between it and the track, to prevent people using the run off to gain speed. They may not be able to stop in time, but at least the speed would be greatly reduced and less chance of rolls than with gravel
afaik, this highly abrasive tarmac stuff doesn't actually slow off-track excursions in practice, especially at high speed. it's pretty though.

was it at church that a f3 car landed in the hedge too? i want to say it was dirani in a carlin car in about '05, there was certainly a great photo of it landing in the foliage with the driver still on full "I'VE GOT THIS" opposite lock.
Old 7 May 2014, 11:31 (Ref:3403298)   #71
CarsCarsCars
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
CarsCarsCars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
afaik, this highly abrasive tarmac stuff doesn't actually slow off-track excursions in practice, especially at high speed. it's pretty though.

was it at church that a f3 car landed in the hedge too? i want to say it was dirani in a carlin car in about '05, there was certainly a great photo of it landing in the foliage with the driver still on full "I'VE GOT THIS" opposite lock.
But the highly abrasive tarmac would give a better surface to brake on than grass
Old 7 May 2014, 12:08 (Ref:3403314)   #72
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Aside the from the risk to driver safety, we have also had 4 cars written off in two weekends at huge costs to the teams and drivers, again at Donington why any concrete wall that can be hit by a car is left unprotected by tyres is crazy. The BTCC has been lucky in the last two weekends and it is a testament to the safety of the cars and driver safety equipment, but luck runs out and both the above examples are not expensive or complicated fixes IMO.
In the specific case of Donington, it's a mixed use circuit - lots of bike meetings aswell as cars. The concrete wall that got hit has little room for two rows of tyres and conveyor belt in front of it (specifically there, not generally) as that would encroach into the gravel trap and/or grass that runs down the drivers' left at Hollywood. That means less room to run wide and more of an obstacle, which (for cars) would likely see tyres & banding dragged off the wall and those then needing maintenance. For bikes who go wide there and recover (or stop in the gravel) it would reduce the space available and possibly cause more - and worse - incidents.

The law of unintended consequences was demonstrated very clearly at the weekend. Let's not go knee-jerking and making things worse.

I can't comment on the Thruxton incidents as I've never been there, but it's worth remembering that the various sanctioning authorities - MSA, FIA, ACU and so on - inspect circuits fairly regularly and approve them for racing or demand changes to allow continuation of the circuit licence. The MSA have already said that they'll investigate the weekend's incidents; I'm happy to let them get on with it.
Old 7 May 2014, 12:43 (Ref:3403329)   #73
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
In the specific case of Donington, it's a mixed use circuit - lots of bike meetings aswell as cars. The concrete wall that got hit has little room for two rows of tyres and conveyor belt in front of it (specifically there, not generally) as that would encroach into the gravel trap and/or grass that runs down the drivers' left at Hollywood. That means less room to run wide and more of an obstacle, which (for cars) would likely see tyres & banding dragged off the wall and those then needing maintenance. For bikes who go wide there and recover (or stop in the gravel) it would reduce the space available and possibly cause more - and worse - incidents.
My simple solution then. Get rid of bike racing.
Old 7 May 2014, 13:32 (Ref:3403346)   #74
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsCarsCars View Post
But the highly abrasive tarmac would give a better surface to brake on than grass
honestly, from the state of a couple of the cars that found a wall to hit during the elms test at ricard the other week, it really doesn't make a difference, not over standard tarmac.

and turning much of thruxton into asphalt isn't really an option.

perhaps the issue lies with what's driving on the track rather than what's off it?
Old 7 May 2014, 16:50 (Ref:3403420)   #75
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
honestly, from the state of a couple of the cars that found a wall to hit during the elms test at ricard the other week, it really doesn't make a difference, not over standard tarmac.

and turning much of thruxton into asphalt isn't really an option.

perhaps the issue lies with what's driving on the track rather than what's off it?
It doesn't need any tarmac at Thruxton, just a better tyre barrier. I'm amazed the MSA sanctioned that piece of tyrewall as it looks barely capable of stopping a pushbike at speed....

It needs to be twice as high and three times as wide. And as for the pile of tyres arranged 'scrap yard' style under the tree, what are they doing there..?