Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 19 Feb 2017, 19:25 (Ref:3713191)   #1
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2017 World Superbike Championship.

The 2017 season kicks off next weekend at Philip Island. How is Bradl going to fair in SBK? Has Melandri still got it? van der Mark vs Lowes looks like tantalising! Chaz for the title?

Here are a couple of links to bike launches:

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2017...Honda%20Launch

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2017...ing%20liveries

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2017...2017%20colours
Old 20 Feb 2017, 05:48 (Ref:3713254)   #2
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
still think its gonna be Rea vs Davies
i'd be a bit surprised to see somebody else challenge the entire year

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Feb 2017, 15:13 (Ref:3713409)   #3
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Honda will have Nicky Hayden and Stefan Bradl.
Ducati will have Chaz Davies and Marco Melandri.

How do you rate them?
Old 20 Feb 2017, 19:18 (Ref:3713487)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Let's hope Rea has more challengers this season. I can see Hayden with a season under his belt being more of a threat
Old 20 Feb 2017, 20:26 (Ref:3713511)   #5
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
don't see big improvement for Honda .. despite good riders

for sure .. we need more challengers for Rea and for the whole season not just some races

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Feb 2017, 21:01 (Ref:3713518)   #6
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Let's hope Rea has more challengers this season. I can see Hayden with a season under his belt being more of a threat
I think Chaz might be the man to take it to Jonny. He was unstoppable towards the end of last season.
Old 20 Feb 2017, 21:03 (Ref:3713520)   #7
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
...How is Bradl going to fair in SBK?...
Oops, silly typo, I meant fare. Can't be mangling the Queen's English like that!
Old 25 Feb 2017, 12:08 (Ref:3714660)   #8
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
it was a bit strange race but with a result no quite so
was not expecting to see the Yamaha and MV so close to Ducati and Kwaka

Ciao Marco
Old 25 Feb 2017, 21:52 (Ref:3714731)   #9
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race one was great entertainment with the top 6 swapping places just about every lap. Not so sure about the grid reversal for race 2, it's very devisive but I guess it'll make for an interesting opening couple of laps. Great to see Lowes and Camier at the pointy end.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 15:30 (Ref:3714850)   #10
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty impressive ride from Melandri and Lowes behind Davis in the second race. Hopefully if Davis gets a better start to this season than last then Rea will have a real challenge on his hands this year.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 23:50 (Ref:3715229)   #11
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Race one was great entertainment with the top 6 swapping places just about every lap. Not so sure about the grid reversal for race 2, it's very devisive but I guess it'll make for an interesting opening couple of laps. Great to see Lowes and Camier at the pointy end.
In total agreement, I think it would be misleading to just glance at the results sheets and think 'same old winner'! I feel both races were really good; so tight and very close racing. The Panigale has quite some speed down the straights!

Good to see Leon shine again (I would love to see him on something a little quicker before it's too late), Lowes had a mature ride in both races and Honda and Ten Kate have some work to do!

Supersport was insane! Couldn't separate the winner and runner up, must have been mere microns between them. I didn't know about the Cluzel and PJ 'bike swap', the former's high-side was horrendous, poor fella. Rea's awful race luck continues and PJ must be wondering if his season is going to be dogged by the MV gremlins.

Fantastic ride by Westy too from 20-something on the grid.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 23:52 (Ref:3715230)   #12
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
...Has Melandri still got it? ...
I'll answer my own question, shall I? On current evidence, it's yes, yes and yes. Class is permanent I guess; pounding around in testing is one thing but racing is another, he really shone.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3715265)   #13
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I still think Chaz has got the better chances of winning races and a title challenge.

Melandri has proved himself a little flaky in the past so we will have to see.

Emperor's new clothes for me with the rules and grid changes, and it's Phillip ISland, racing is nearly always good there.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 07:54 (Ref:3715266)   #14
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
I'll answer my own question, shall I? On current evidence, it's yes, yes and yes. Class is permanent I guess; pounding around in testing is one thing but racing is another, he really shone.
No doubt that the guy has skills but for my money he's a dangerous rider perfectly capable of taking out an opponent with outrageous manoeuvres. Reminds me of the Roman emperor, one Max Biaggi. Quite a number of top riders have fallen foul of his outlandish tactics.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 08:15 (Ref:3715267)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indeed, I think he is easy to rattle, and when he was last in a championship struggle he completely crumbled! Was quite funny actually. Made loads of mistakes and just resorted to dive bombing other riders motocross style.

You have to remember what he did with Aprilia in MotoGP, he basically gave up before the season had even started, should never be allowed to be paid to ride again for me.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 21:46 (Ref:3715392)   #16
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Melandri is a bottler and dangerous at times. It looks like it's between Davies and Rae. Hugely disappointed in Laverty. Savadori was miles faster, not good. Lowes was impressive, needs to stay on the bike though! Camier was superb too, he should squeeze a podium out of that bike this year and if conditions are right, maybe a first win...?
Old 1 Mar 2017, 11:16 (Ref:3715513)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Watched the highlights on ITV4 last night. Once again Phillip Island provides great racing, although once again Rea managed to outsmart them all. Great to see Melandri back at the front, even if he does make unnecessary mistakes at times
Old 1 Mar 2017, 21:25 (Ref:3715659)   #18
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post

Emperor's new clothes for me with the rules and grid changes, and it's Phillip ISland, racing is nearly always good there.
Very true, best not get too carried away. Several seasons have like this and then fizzled out somewhat with dominance from one or two riders.

I didn't realise the general sentiment towards Melandri was not a great one!
Old 1 Mar 2017, 21:36 (Ref:3715661)   #19
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
...Hugely disappointed in Laverty. Savadori was miles faster, not good...
Likewise with Laverty, it's early days and I hope I'm wrong. Perhaps superbike riders should be a little weary of the allure of MotoGP; what's the point of making the jump onto the big stage on lacklustre machinery and getting nowhere? Perhaps it's a calculated risk that they can shine enough to be picked up for bigger and better things but the numbers just don't stack up.
Old 2 Mar 2017, 08:11 (Ref:3715724)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Strange comment cg but I see your angle.

Laverty was very well respected in MotoGP, as was Rea when he tried to get in. Eugene was getting some superb results on a rather old bike, and the only reason he came back to the far smaller world of superbikes was money and to ride a bike he went well on in the past, the Aprilia.

His place was taken by that astonishing talent Abraham! What would you rather do, stand the chance of getting points and impressing MotoGP team managers as he did last year? Or go back, earn a bunch of cash in a championship that is nothing like as competitive.

I and lots of others simply did not understand the decision. He was doing a fabulous job and seemed to leave because he couldn't get the promise of a better bike, almost a hissy fit in my eyes. He was doing brilliantly on what he had!

The team he was riding for was Spanish, they wanted a top Spanish rider on their bike and got Bautista, a good deal. Laverty was never going to get that bike, but could have stayed where he was and probably made Alvaro look bad.

Eugene had already done his time in Superbike, and proved himself over again. No need to come back until there were no seats offered.
Old 2 Mar 2017, 21:05 (Ref:3715925)   #21
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Strange comment cg but I see your angle.

Laverty was very well respected in MotoGP, as was Rea when he tried to get in. Eugene was getting some superb results on a rather old bike, and the only reason he came back to the far smaller world of superbikes was money and to ride a bike he went well on in the past, the Aprilia.

His place was taken by that astonishing talent Abraham! What would you rather do, stand the chance of getting points and impressing MotoGP team managers as he did last year? Or go back, earn a bunch of cash in a championship that is nothing like as competitive.

I and lots of others simply did not understand the decision. He was doing a fabulous job and seemed to leave because he couldn't get the promise of a better bike, almost a hissy fit in my eyes. He was doing brilliantly on what he had!

The team he was riding for was Spanish, they wanted a top Spanish rider on their bike and got Bautista, a good deal. Laverty was never going to get that bike, but could have stayed where he was and probably made Alvaro look bad.

Eugene had already done his time in Superbike, and proved himself over again. No need to come back until there were no seats offered.
Well, that's me told! I'll get back in my box! Good points well made too. I guess my comments stem from a degree of ignorance of the goings on in the MotoGP paddock these days; I used to follow things closely but ever since Moody and Ryder left Eurosport I've slowly been left behind other than watching race highlights. Frrom what you're saying, he (Laverty) did pretty well last season.
Old 2 Mar 2017, 21:42 (Ref:3715936)   #22
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Eugene had a stellar year last tyear on a 2 year old Ducati, got some top 10 results and was doing better than a lot of people expected.

I guess if you don't see the races it's hard to judge. But it was a shock to everyone, media, tv when he decided to go back to superbikes on a non works bike.

Would you ride for Muir after last year? I certainly would think twice.
Old 11 Mar 2017, 18:29 (Ref:3718025)   #23
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Masterful performance from Rea in the first race in Thailand.
Old 11 Mar 2017, 21:09 (Ref:3718061)   #24
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Woefully dull race, glad I only watched 5 mins highlights of this one.
Old 12 Mar 2017, 06:06 (Ref:3718121)   #25
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
need more proof that it's still gonna be Davies vs Rea?

Ciao Marco