Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 15 Sep 2006, 16:21 (Ref:1711207)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Raymond Baxter

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/5350436.stm

A real broadcaster, who acheived so much before he went into braodcasting. He then built on the experiences to be one of the best commentators. Sadly missed.

Last edited by Adam43; 15 Sep 2006 at 16:26.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1711208)   #2
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Raymond Baxter

Just heard that Raymond Baxter has died.

Spitfire pilot, broadcaster, race commentator and latterly a great and illustrative describer of Spitfire displays at Goodwood.

I last heard him on the Saturday of the Revival, sadly he was too ill to attend on the Sunday.

A gentleman and professional to the end.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1711221)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I have just learned this, too. Sad, but not entirely surprising given his age and the frailty that became public knowledge at Goodwood. He certainly packed in a full and exciting life and not only did he do all the things you mentioned, John, he also raced and rallied cars as well. To me, he has always been around, involved in aspects of life that I had an interest in, including the successful 'Tomorrows World' programme that he presented for so many years.

Thanks for all the pleasure that you have given to so many for so many years, Raymond.

RIP

(I'll leave this here for a while but it should go eventually into the Tributes forum)
Old 15 Sep 2006, 16:52 (Ref:1711228)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bugger!
A real pro broadcaster!
I used to love watching and listening to his aviation stuff.
Excellent on Tomorrows World too

RIP
Old 15 Sep 2006, 17:04 (Ref:1711235)   #5
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Raymond Baxter was part of my childhood with the racing commentary, Farnborough Airshow and Tomorrow World. He always seemed very calm when talking, was very knowledgable and came across as one of lifes Gentlemen!

RIP
Old 15 Sep 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1711372)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Raymond Baxter

Sad to hear that he has died (84,good innings).The man before the 'Murray' no less.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/54516
Old 15 Sep 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1711437)   #7
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad indeed. My condolences to his famliy.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 22:19 (Ref:1711444)   #8
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An Amazing man. Spitfire Pilot to commentary box. In so many ways be broke new ground in TV with Live broadcasts and his work on Tomorrow's World.

He and his incredibly evocative voice will be greatly missed.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 00:56 (Ref:1711511)   #9
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSCC Clerk of the Course John Smith told me earlier that Raymond Baxter had died.

Very sad news indeed.

I grew up listening to his wonderful commentaries on Television and he inspired me in many ways.

I last saw him at the Goodwood Revival Meeting in Sept 2003 and he was in wonderful form.

Rest in peace Raymond.

Paula Hamilton
Old 16 Sep 2006, 01:39 (Ref:1711518)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
A fitting tribute to the man.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=29338
Old 16 Sep 2006, 06:52 (Ref:1711604)   #11
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm old enough to remember him on TV as a kid - in its glorious black and white days. Fantatstic live demos on Tomorrow's World and that famous laugh at himself presenting the string sketch in a string vest.

He was part of a broadcasting era where presenters were knowledgeable and figures of respect, unlike many of the mad, shallow self-made celebrities of today who clamour to host the next celebrity roller skating knock challenge.

It's not until someone dies that you remember that their voice was a notable part of your past - in my case whilst I was in short trousers in the 1960's.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1711942)   #12
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jarce
I'm old enough to remember him on TV as a kid - in its glorious black and white days. Fantatstic live demos on Tomorrow's World and that famous laugh at himself presenting the string sketch in a string vest.

He was part of a broadcasting era where presenters were knowledgeable and figures of respect, unlike many of the mad, shallow self-made celebrities of today who clamour to host the next celebrity roller skating knock challenge.

It's not until someone dies that you remember that their voice was a notable part of your past - in my case whilst I was in short trousers in the 1960's.
That sums it up for me too (being born 1950)
I've been in Canada for 35 years and I must admit I had forgotten all about him, but after reading this I can hear his distinctive voice like it was yesterday.

Cheers Raymond
Old 16 Sep 2006, 18:40 (Ref:1711960)   #13
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh no, that's so sad. He will be missed terribly, for his knowledge, personnality, impeccable presentation and diction and the voice that was instantly respected and listened to with pleasure.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Ian
Old 16 Sep 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1711991)   #14
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was only ever one gentleman (I use the word "gentleman" deliberately)who delivered his commentary in that delightful way - Raymond Baxter.

Raymond was the emitome of the commentator's art (I recall he used the word "epitome" often - I associate it with him always).

RIP
Old 16 Sep 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1712047)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jarce

Very eloquently put Hugh. I was born in 1950, growing up in London I remember him as a kid on Tomorrows World ..RIP Raymond Baxter
Old 17 Sep 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1712320)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep I recall him on the old B&W TV.

Calmness personified, I will regret his passing but still enjoy the memories of his shows and commentaries.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 09:35 (Ref:1712746)   #17
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
About 15 years ago I attended a British Aeronautical Society meeting where Raymond spoke of his experiences. An audience of about 200 people and yet, he had that uncanny knack that he was speaking to me personally. A true gentlemen in an age where the term has become devalued.
RIP
Old 22 Sep 2006, 12:05 (Ref:1716293)   #18
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Alas, I just found out about Raymond... Sadly missed, but as said previously, I can 'hear' him now, talking about WD40, and LCDs, (uses of string while wearing a string vest, for The Goodies) and the like on Tomorrows World, plus his commentary on TV of Ray Hannah in a Spitfire at Biggin Hill. Sadly, Ray's dead too.

In this talk, did Raymond talk about when he was flying over a Belgian forest in early 1945, when a V2 came up right in front his aircraft?
In that dry way of his, he said
"I fired at it, and missed... It was only when I landed that someone pointed out I'd by flying with a halo if I'd hit all that explosive at 50 yards range!"
Old 22 Sep 2006, 22:45 (Ref:1716766)   #19
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having just returned from holiday and catching up on the news, we were saddened to learn of this.

RIP Raymond
Old 13 Oct 2006, 00:40 (Ref:1736713)   #20
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC 2 Tribute - Oct 12th 2006

I grew up watching Raymond Baxter commentating on Motor Racing....

He was an awesome individual and will be very sadly missed.

I thought that last night's programme was very good but could have been longer, I feel.

Paula Hamilton
Old 13 Oct 2006, 13:39 (Ref:1737186)   #21
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paula,
I'm with you all the way. Great programme, should have been longer, about a great man and one of lifes true characters.
Thank you Raymand, Rest in Peace.