Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 25 Sep 2016, 03:25 (Ref:3674876)   #26
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
He's not the only source, though. There's thousands of people who attended. I don't just take one person's view. That's why I asked if any here attended.
So just to clarify, you think more than 70,000 people attended?
Old 25 Sep 2016, 07:33 (Ref:3674881)   #27
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Just so we’re all on the same wavelength, standard procedure for U.S. sporting events is to report attendance based upon the number of tickets sold, not the number of people through the turnstile.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 09:19 (Ref:3674886)   #28
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Just so we’re all on the same wavelength, standard procedure for U.S. sporting events is to report attendance based upon the number of tickets sold, not the number of people through the turnstile.
If that was the procudere in this case, TheMightyM, consider:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC365
One source indicated to Sportscar365 there were only 8,500 tickets pre-sold prior to the weekend.
(source)

...which would mean (assuming SC365's source is true) the track managers are seriously telling us that there were some 60,000+ tickets sold the weekend of the event. It seems to me they are using a different, say, """metric""" (I should add some more quotes to this)
[PS: IMO it would be nice if a bored mod would move this sub-thread of the discussion to the cota race thread]
Old 25 Sep 2016, 11:00 (Ref:3674893)   #29
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems as if Silverstone now is settled as the season opener; I think the August B/H weekend would be better, but that's just me. I still think an earlier start to the season and another race before Le Mans is needed, but there must be a reason why there isn't.

The WEC is still in its infancy, so they are doing the best thing and taking small steps. You'd hope that in 5 years or so there would be another few more rounds - and hopefully less Tilke-droms.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 14:38 (Ref:3674989)   #30
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Were any of you there? I saw on other forums from people who were there saying the attendance was bigger than last year. Some say you didn't see many because the heat was so oppressing they were taking shade instead of staying put. Maybe they're lying, or someone is trying to make the event look bad/good.
I was there, and have been at COTA every year since the WEC started there. I thought the biggest uptick in attendance was between 2014 and 2015, this year it seemed very close to what I saw last year in terms of numbers of people there.

There are places to get out of the heat, the VIP suites, and behind the main grandstand in the Velocity Lounge.

FWIW, the line for the tower was much, much longer this year than i have ever seen in years past.

If the series wants a round at COTA they need to move the date, plain and simple. It will never be truly successful in September, much too hot, and college football.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 16:42 (Ref:3675089)   #31
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I do know the grand stands were empty-ish for the imsa race, and completely packed for wec
Old 26 Sep 2016, 00:14 (Ref:3675162)   #32
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
So just to clarify, you think more than 70,000 people attended?
I don't know how many people attended. Some out there are saying it was 10,000 at best. But the track is saying 6-7x that. So how did that difference come about?
Old 26 Sep 2016, 02:33 (Ref:3675183)   #33
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know how many people attended. Some out there are saying it was 10,000 at best. But the track is saying 6-7x that. So how did that difference come about?
I suspect they are lying for their own appeasement. There were not 70k people there. Not even half that. It's going to be a ghost town next September....

I know Hindy and GG pled on MWM last week that if you don't attend, it'll go away.

Frankly? I don't care. Whilst I love the WEC, I have less than zero desire to go to COTA. The track doesn't interest me..at all. I think it's a boring, uninspired Tilkedrome. It has no historical significance, and I don't think the racing has ever been all that special. I'd rather go to Montreal or another fly-away race like Spa.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 26 Sep 2016, 03:16 (Ref:3675189)   #34
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
COTA hasn't had a great race for the WEC since 2013's speed and strategy duel that Audi Sport and TMG engaged in. That was actually an interesting race. 2014 ended up being a straightforward Audi romp after Porsche and Toyota had their early race challenges blunted by a severe thunderstorm and resulting track flooding. Even one Porsche's outside change at a win faded fast due to hybrid or engine problems with a couple of hours to do.

2015 was an equally straightforward romp by Porsche, and 2016 was an Audi clinic for the first 4 hours, then a Porsche romp for the final 2 after Audi, as at Nurburgring, found themselves on the wrong end of a FCY/green flag pit stop exchange. But without that, or without the #7 Audi getting taken out of contention in an accident shortly after the FCY and the #8 having electrical problems, it would otherwise have been an Audi Sport romp from start to finish.

COTA might be one of Tilke's more interesting and inspired tracks, but outside of that, it hasn't produced a great WEC outside of 2013. Also, I've heard and read that Epstein has been basically neglecting the track. The midway isn't in good shape and has been uninspired/never really been anything special to begin with. Also, part of at least one walkway in the track is an engineering disaster waiting to happen, as it might become a sinkhole with a good enough rainstorm or two.

COTA isn't helped in that there's other tracks in North America that are better or at least just as good and appealing without the dark and negative overtones of what might be going on behind the scenes. Add to that the fact that COTA isn't really popular for track days or teams for private testing. Only Audi Sport on the sportscar end has done any serious testing there from the WEC/IMSA crowd, and that was back in early 2014.

Audi and Porsche might be down with running on NA Grade 2 tracks, but we know that the WEC is highly indifferent to such tracks. Teams also might find it inconvenient to drive cars to the garage area for repairs due to mechanical problems or accident, or to do so during practice just to make set up changes vs having the garage stalls being basically part of the pit box. Also, it'll make things more difficult for teams to use their current procedures for the one wheel gun at a time tire changes rules in the WEC. Yes, Audi did run at Sebring in 2012 and '13, but those races were run as part of the ALMS, which used IMSA's pit rules, which allowed two wheel guns to be used at the same time during tire changes.

It also doesn't help that the ACO/FIA are trying to create an identity for the WEC separate from IMSA, and it's ALMS and Grand Am predecessors. Fact is that though the ACO haven't exactly covered themselves in glory with North American marketing for the WEC (and IMO have relied too heavily on Audi and Porsche doing the work for them, al la the ALMS in 2006-08), you do have to ask if it's mostly a COTA problem. After all, 15 million people live within a three hour driving radius of the Austin metro area. But even allowing for sportscar racing being a niche cult sport in NA, and football being king in Texas this time of year, you almost have to say that COTA's got problems.

And with the scheduling issue, a change of date might help as far as looking for better weather and avoiding the football crowd. But in fairness, other than really shuffling the WEC schedule, where is a good place to put COTA's date? The WEC have staggered their races to have the UK/EU races happen in on part of the season, NA to happen in another part, and Asia-Pacific/Middle East happen in another, with having the races relatively close to each other as far as geography goes.

All I can say is that unless COTA gets bought by someone who gives a damn about the track and fan and series/team experiences, even allowing for September in Austin being hotter than the 4th and 5th circles of hell from Dante's Inferno, or the ACO broker deals with Indy or Montreal, or some owner of a Grade 2 tracks makes certain concessions to the ACO (like updating, even if temporarily, pit and garage facilities to WEC preferences), I'd have to say that unless something changes soon, Mexico City might be the only NA WEC race come 2018.
Old 26 Sep 2016, 06:59 (Ref:3675202)   #35
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Because the track has a vested interest in portraying the event as a success, especially given it had local support in the form of IMSA this year, and next year it doesn't.
Old 26 Sep 2016, 07:42 (Ref:3675208)   #36
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was not there but if you had a line of people standing single file around the track that would add up to about 10,000 people.
Old 26 Sep 2016, 11:52 (Ref:3675238)   #37
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post

COTA might be one of Tilke's more interesting and inspired tracks, but outside of that, it hasn't produced a great WEC outside of 2013. Also, I've heard and read that Epstein has been basically neglecting the track. The midway isn't in good shape and has been uninspired/never really been anything special to begin with. Also, part of at least one walkway in the track is an engineering disaster waiting to happen, as it might become a sinkhole with a good enough rainstorm or two.

COTA isn't helped in that there's other tracks in North America that are better or at least just as good and appealing without the dark and negative overtones of what might be going on behind the scenes. Add to that the fact that COTA isn't really popular for track days or teams for private testing. Only Audi Sport on the sportscar end has done any serious testing there from the WEC/IMSA crowd, and that was back in early 2014.

Midway at COTA is fine, I'd even say that it is good. They've made good use of the space behind the grandstands at turn 15. Tons of food trucks, manufacturers displays and vendors, plus there's the pond thing which is kind of nice. Not sure why you'd classify it as being not in good shape.

And BTW, Nissan did a great deal of testing of the P1GTR at COTA, so it's not true that Audi has been the only team to test there.

I'm not some COTA shill BTW, nor do I have a vested interest in the place. It just seems that a lot of the negative talk that I hear of the place is from people who have never even been to it. How about this, all of you fans who are invested enough to spend hours on an internet forum, go visit the place in person, then complain if you want.

Not meant as an attack at you, Chernaudi, I'm just constantly seeing comments made of the place by people who have never even been to it. It's insulting when here I am using my own money and time trying to do my part to make the place a success.
Old 26 Sep 2016, 12:26 (Ref:3675249)   #38
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Having just returned home from the race, I've got to say Scott nailed it on the head. I didn't really care for the track at all. I figured this was the last year for wec so I might as well go.

It's no road America/Atlanta, but it's definitely not an awful place. Facilities were nice and the track layout has some good characteristics that I couldn't muster the criticism while I was actually at the track. I'm convinced most tilke tracks are terrible to watch on tv, but for trackside race fans you hardly notice any of those things that make it difficult to watch.

I left race weekend with good memories of watching the race.
Old 27 Sep 2016, 06:43 (Ref:3675466)   #39
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't visit any races because one, I can't afford to, and two, I don't do well with traveling, along with cost and getting time away from work to do so. But I've heard/read people who've been to COTA be pretty critical of the track, and I'd have to say that even if a lot of what they say is biased or hyperbole, COTA definitely isn't being run at present as a good business model. Without government funding, COTA wouldn't be solvent as a company/business right now.

Only argument that I'd make with Nissan doing a lot of testing at COTA is that their LMP1 program was genuinely not even half-arsed to begin with, and all that testing got them no where. That's a scathing indictment of the team, not the track. But I doubt that even with all the money that Nissan blew on testing the GT-R LMP1, I doubt that COTA got any profit from it, because of losses elsewhere. If more teams tested there, they might get a bit more income.

Overall, I'm not feeling any good vibes for COTA under their current administration. Everything I've heard about Bobby Epstein and his management team has been indifferent at best, and scathing and cynical at worst.
Old 27 Sep 2016, 12:31 (Ref:3675495)   #40
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
There really are three interrelated concerns with COTA:

1. That it draws so poorly that the WEC goes someplace else, though there’s no obvious alternative for the WEC at the moment.

2. That it draws so poorly that COTA dumps the race as the WEC doesn’t draw well enough to cover the sanctioning fee and other costs so that the track loses money on the race.

3. That COTA can’t support three major sports car racing weekends a year including two events two weeks apart in September when it’s still real hot and football season is on.

While #1 and #2 are what we’re debating here, I certainly can’t imagine IMSA, PWC, and the WEC all continuing with their current COTA schedules over time. The question is just who jumps first.
Old 27 Sep 2016, 19:14 (Ref:3675573)   #41
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
most of the 2017 calendar ought to be more visible in TV and the net: the exclusivity clause (with eurosport, at least) will be dropped (MST, german): Infront (the WEC marketeer)-made contracts no longer will carry an exclusivity clause, except for the 24h of Le Mans
Old 28 Sep 2016, 16:15 (Ref:3675734)   #42
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So in other words Eurosport only cares of Le Mans, which has been more or less known ever since 2008 (their coverage for LMS back then was just as non existent as for WEC now), and probably won't cover the rest of the season now at all with the "contractually obligated" exclusivity gone (?)

I don't understand the European Eurosport exclusivity for WEC given that Motors TV was fully live covering the 6 hour races anyway.
Old 30 Sep 2016, 10:01 (Ref:3676087)   #43
zere
Rookie

Germany
zere should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
March 24-25 — Prologue (Monza) ... now that's interesting.
In 2013, the first round of F3 Euro barely went through on the 23rd, after they needed to cancel the pre-season testing on the 18th due to snow and freezing temps.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 00:59 (Ref:3683498)   #44
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Is it possible to buy the WEC subscription streaming package for a PC/Laptop or is it restricted to mobile devices?
Old 28 Oct 2016, 05:53 (Ref:3683529)   #45
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Is it possible to buy the WEC subscription streaming package for a PC/Laptop or is it restricted to mobile devices?
Yes. The same purchase works in both.

e. I use PC streaming all the time, because my tv and ipad don't like each other.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 06:39 (Ref:3683540)   #46
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I use both. I bought it on a PC and used it on a PC. The website also works through an Xbox, so I can use it on that. For races during the night I use the app in the morning for the replay and that works.

Live Streaming works on both the app and the PC/Laptop website.

Race replays works on the app on the phone only.
Old 31 Oct 2016, 22:36 (Ref:3684404)   #47
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Can you guess a potential 2017 LMP2 entry list to be specific? I think LMP1 and GTE Pro are kinda clear at this point.
Old 4 Nov 2016, 09:24 (Ref:3685279)   #48
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Can you guess a potential 2017 LMP2 entry list to be specific? I think LMP1 and GTE Pro are kinda clear at this point.
Most LMP2 teams havent announced anything yet, seeing as the new cars has just started to make laps its not that surprising. We do however know a few teams are leaving, so could potentially be quite thin feild (compared to this year).

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...-round-up.html
Old 4 Nov 2016, 12:35 (Ref:3685304)   #49
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
Most LMP2 teams havent announced anything yet, seeing as the new cars has just started to make laps its not that surprising. We do however know a few teams are leaving, so could potentially be quite thin feild (compared to this year).

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...-round-up.html
Thank you for the link. SMP going back to GTE from LMP2 is cool. I don't mind that.
Old 4 Nov 2016, 13:56 (Ref:3685315)   #50
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Even with the Rebellion guys in LMP2, the full season WEC grid for that category could be about 9 cars. GTE might be looking good. I think they could get a good 15 full season entrants in total. (pro/am combined)