Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 30 Jan 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1511954)   #1
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
breaking old ties

Thinking about things at Brands, and something said a while ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Harding
Most clubs will represent you for grading etc. if you are on their marshal's register and don't worry if you aren't a member.
I think I'll be dropping my primary club membership and just continue with BMMC unless somebody can convince me otherwise. I just hope the my primary club will have as enlightened a view as 750.
This decision hurts, cos my primary is the BRSCC, the club I came into marshalling with back in 89. We've had fun together for many years, I even made marshal of the year some time back, but it looks like we're drifting apart.

I still wait to hear officially what the BRSCC will be doing at Brands in 2006 - a year that looks to be the best at Brands since say 1989 (GpC and F3000).
However, looking at the provisional time table on the BRSCC SE website, it appears that they'll only be running 4 meetings of their own and at the mo, providing help with 3 others.

Of those four I'm on holiday for two, so at most I can earn £5 off my 2007 membership. As it is I'm only on £8 off this years renewal - So I'm I'll be paying £22 to attend a maximum 5 race days - bit steep.
You could tell me about the free entry to Autospurts at the NEC - but to be honest static cars and sweaty crowds do nothing for me, and I gave up going about 5 years ago.

Providing for other clubs is another issue altogether. Who profits more from the association, me or the club?

What else - oh aye, I could marshal for the BRSCC at other circuits - but I've no need, as I said earlier 2006 looks like it'll be a very juicy year at Brands and I'm only a couple of minutes away.

Lets be honest, I've about had it with the proliferation of clubs, each running their own marshal's lists/membership costs. Why cannot marshals belong solely to BMMC (or some de novo MSA approved central body)? Then just pick and choose according to our likes/dislikes from a central list such as Julian's.

The current count at Brands is that we have 9 different car clubs lined up to have race meetings (the biggies WTCC/DTM/A1GP yet to be allocated according to BRSCC site, so possibly a 10th organisation ?MSV). So far this year I've only heard from BARC & 750, OK I know I moved, but that's 4 clubs I have to go and try to get in contact with (or make my BMMC rep do it). And we wonder why it's difficult to get and retain sufficient marshals? Could it be more compex if we tried?
Old 30 Jan 2006, 15:22 (Ref:1511969)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I'm in the same position, after being a member of the BRSCC for 20 years I have not renewed this year, by and large for the same reasons as Alistair. You will need to speak to the MSA and ask them to change your primary club to the BMMC, just call Allan Dean-Lewis who is really helpful.

I was saying to a friend a few weeks ago that when I started marshalling at BH 20 years ago, the BRSCC were 'the' club to organise race meetings. Of course we had the great John Nicol back then, a sad loss to the world of motorsport. These days it has changed a great deal with BARC organising more and more meetings, and if you do enough days marshalling you not only cover the cost of membership, but get a cheque back in the post!

I suppose it's also worth saying that 20 years ago there wasn't the shortage of marshals there is now, and if you wanted to marshal the FFF then it was almost mandatory to be a BRSCC member. Not so these days.

I find the current lack of communication both annoying and distressing and wonder what has happened within the club for there to be such sudden changes?
Old 30 Jan 2006, 15:27 (Ref:1511972)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Sorry but while on the subject of the BRSCC, how would my friend get his grading/signature card (not sure of the correct term) back from Mr Sillytoes, he's had it for the best part of a year and done nothing with it. He doesn't return calls and seems pretty elusive.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 15:29 (Ref:1511976)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
If you are referring to Roger, then ask him to speak to me at the first meeting and I will get it sorted for him.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 15:50 (Ref:1511985)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Thanks Stephen.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1512022)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
Lets be honest, I've about had it with the proliferation of clubs, each running their own marshal's lists/membership costs. Why cannot marshals belong solely to BMMC (or some de novo MSA approved central body)? Then just pick and choose according to our likes/dislikes from a central list such as Julian's.
I'm only a member of one club, BMMC. Last year I marshalled for 14 different clubs, at four different circuits (a lower number of circuits than usual, for various reasons). At two of them, Oulton Park & Anglesey, as, for every meeting at those two circuits, whatever club runs them, only one volunteering form is required. The same applies to Croft, probably other circuits.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1512029)   #7
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I can associate with almost every word that Stephen has written. It saddens me greatly not to continue my membership of the BRSCC and although I stopped marshalling and clerking for them 6 years ago, I still have a lot of friends amongst the the regulars at Brands.
Both the HSCC and 750MC have 3 meetings each at Brands in 2006. The HSCC office at Silverstone or Peter Harding at 750MC would be delighted to hear from anybody who would like to come along to our meetings and I hope we can regenerate some of the old Brands Hatch spirit.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 18:47 (Ref:1512084)   #8
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When i started marshalling 5-6 years ago....i was a spectator in the crowd and wanted to marshall so i asked a few marshalls as to which club to join and got 4-5 different clubs......help
Its very difficult when you first start marshalling...and would have been a lot easier if there was one club for marshalls across the uk.
I joined BARC, just because one of marshalls who i spoke to was also a member and he came from my neck of the woods.
BARC have allways been good for me, but proberly wont join next year, for one reason only; we,ve allways been welcomed with open arms by any club......and thats just by phoneing the organising club or voluntering on-line (of which ten-tenths is brilliant for...thankyou)
Old 30 Jan 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1512098)   #9
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like I'm not the only one backing out of paying the BRSCC £30 for the honour of helping them run race meetings, Oh and make money on the day.
It realy saddens me because like nearly everyone who has contributed, I joined the BRSCC in the 80's as they were the best organised club going. They stood head & shoulders above the others that I marshalled for at that time. Not now! AMOC, MGCC, 750, HSCC, yes even BARC really look as if they are pleased to see you and know how to run a tight ship! The funny thing is the BRSCC Chiefs help run a number of the other club's meetings at Brands. Maybe it's the product!
Old 30 Jan 2006, 19:11 (Ref:1512108)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar
Its very difficult when you first start marshalling...and would have been a lot easier if there was one club for marshalls across the uk.
There is....BMMC! (Cheque to my Swiss bank account, please, Stephen!)
Old 30 Jan 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1512124)   #11
DavidBritainUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
DavidBritainUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm afraid I can only agree with Alistair, Steven and Stoowert. I started with the BRSCC back at Brands in the 80s. It was the club to be with...........but perhaps not now. I will not be renewing this year.

Looking at the listings, it may well be the best year since the 80s. So, I will still be marshaling at Brands, just not contributing to the BRSCC.

See you around the track somewhere!
Old 30 Jan 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1512125)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
On its way David
Old 30 Jan 2006, 19:30 (Ref:1512126)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBritainUK
I'm afraid I can only agree with Alistair, Steven and Stoowert. I started with the BRSCC back at Brands in the 80s. It was the club to be with...........but perhaps not now. I will not be renewing this year.

Looking at the listings, it may well be the best year since the 80s. So, I will still be marshaling at Brands, just not contributing to the BRSCC.

See you around the track somewhere!
But will they be run by the BRSCC you have to ask yourself?
Old 30 Jan 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1512128)   #14
DavidBritainUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
DavidBritainUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
But will they be run by the BRSCC you have to ask yourself?
They might, but that will be my choice. As Stoowert pointed out, many of the 'Other' club meetings are run by the BRSCC 'Front-Team'. I look back with a little sadness, but forward to a good racing season.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1512129)   #15
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with alot that was said by other "ten-tenthers"! Since 1966 my primary Circuit was Silverstone, and I eventually Clerked for the BRDC for over a year; !!!!
However, my daughter whom you all know well, said "lets join the BRSCC as they put on some fantastic meetings at Brands, and it is a lot nearer Essex. (not a F1 Test Circuit either) so we did. I have continued to assist the BRSCC (SE) wherever possible in my other employment (buses for the A1GP etc) but not able to actively Observe so much.
However, the crunch point - £28 a year (2005) to Marshal when I am free?? I think not, so, as others, I did not renew my Membership for 2006- Sorry, Guys (and Girls, especially!!)
Old 30 Jan 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1512130)   #16
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think this is just an isolated thing. Members must be leaving all clubs in higher quantites. I have left the BMMC this year and dont plan on joining any club as to be honest I dont see the point. I can still marshal, and it doesnt make me any better or worse at it if im a member of a club.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1512131)   #17
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey, I thought I was in a minority of 1, I'd already decided not to renew in May when it's my turn, looks like i wont be` alone.
I'm still in the BMMC, BRDC MC & 750MC so don't think I'll be missing out on much.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1512146)   #18
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must be the only one who had joined more clubs this year than last!! BARC SE is the new one for me along with the BRDCMC!
Old 30 Jan 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1512148)   #19
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A definite echo in here..

I've not renewed any memberships this year, (a) for financial reasons, and (b) I didn't see any benefit from it last year. I'm not grading for anything in particular, most of the chief marshals at the many circuits I go to know what I can do, and allocate me accordingly. It costs enough getting to these places to then to spend an extra £xx.xx on being a club member to do exactly the same thing as non members.

Al.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1512150)   #20
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
I must be the only one who had joined more clubs this year than last!! BARC SE is the new one for me along with the BRDCMC!
Splendid!, but have you joined (renewed) with the BRSCC(SE), and more importantly, the BMMC!!!
Old 30 Jan 2006, 20:25 (Ref:1512156)   #21
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not just marshals, as a driver I have not renewed my racing membership with BRSCC. A lot of drivers are fed up with racing membership AND registration fee to a championship on top. It often costs over £200 just to get some entry forms.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 20:47 (Ref:1512177)   #22
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, we've renewed our memeberships of BMMC and BARC Midlands.
We are members of BMMC because of Steve being Donington ES and Rescue, and me being on the BMMC Midlands Committee and BARC because they have always been very good to me. In fact if it hadn't been for BARC I would not be a Chief Pit Marshal or a Clerk of the Course (Speed). I owe them a huge amount.

We gave up on BRSCC two years ago.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 20:50 (Ref:1512181)   #23
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Why do you have to pay to join these clubs? Surely as you are all volunteers membership should be free as should insurance.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1512184)   #24
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by archaic gold
Splendid!, but have you joined (renewed) with the BRSCC(SE), and more importantly, the BMMC!!!
Nope. I think they are enough for the moment. Although i need to put my 7oaks&DMC membership in the post!
Old 30 Jan 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1512191)   #25
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Why do you have to pay to join these clubs? Surely as you are all volunteers membership should be free as should insurance.

Ah Tim, if we join the marshal's club, we are contributing towards the door to door insurance for all marshals. As for paying to join BARC, if you do enough meetings for them your membership fee is either greatly reduced or free.