Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Feb 2017, 00:36 (Ref:3713851)   #76
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Me and Mrs MM were distinctly underwhelmed. The last bit was more like a travelogue, expected Alan Whicker to jump out at any time.

Such a shame, opportunity missed.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 22 Feb 2017, 06:35 (Ref:3713900)   #77
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The B&J's ice cream I enjoyed in the foyer was very nice!

The Film? 3 words- "Left wanting More"..... Can't have been much over 100 minutes, so no problem making the last train home. Loved the early archive footage of the circuit being built and stories of pre war racing, along the immediate post war stuff. The docu itself seemed to lose it's way after F1 stopped using the 'Ring, bit like the circuit..... Also, more footage of the 70s endurance races wouldn't have gone amiss.

Probably could have made several films- the Early days, life after F1, the TrackDay era...... For me, more concentration on the period up to the end of F1 races at the circuit would have been better. Oh, and the makers didn't bother to change the Nico Rosberg tag, describing him just as a 'F1 Driver' rather than 2017 WDC! Very rude.

Had a nice evening, but won't be getting the DVD.....
Old 22 Feb 2017, 07:07 (Ref:3713904)   #78
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quick add- I don't share comments regarding David Croft or Murray- they were both obviously reading from a script. Yes, Murray sounded his age, but still great to hear his voice again! JYS as articulate as ever, Sir Stirling just being himself as always. Jochen Mass excellent value!
Old 22 Feb 2017, 07:46 (Ref:3713907)   #79
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was about 45 minutes too long. I lost count of the number of times we were told how long the circuit is/was and how many corners it's got. I thought the story about scraping the white paint off the Mercedes had long since been debunked and as for "Englishman, Jim Clark"...

For me, Jochen Mass was the star of the show and the biggest surprise was that Sir Stirling managed to get through a whole interview without using the word "crumpet".
Old 22 Feb 2017, 08:42 (Ref:3713917)   #80
Giraffe138
Racer

Giraffe138 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw it last night and it was worth making the effort, not perfect but quite engaging.. One of the backers, the wife of an F1 team principal told me that there is also one on Monaco in the pipeline.
Old 22 Feb 2017, 09:43 (Ref:3713938)   #81
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pretty much agree with most comments, disappointing, long winded, overblown all come to mind.
Barely a mention of some of the greatest drives/drivers that made the circuit the legend that it is/was.

Very little new was learnt, and there was a sad lack of actual racing coverage from the fifties in particular, all very disjointed.

Stewart still banging on about the danger and the fatalities. What did he expect?

Moss always had the correct perspective on the dangers of motor racing. It was DANGEROUS.

No more than 5/10ths. Still it was nice to meet 43 whatsit, and his son.

Congratulations to Gerard et Jean. You saved some money.
Old 22 Feb 2017, 10:31 (Ref:3713950)   #82
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Congratulations to Gerard et Jean. You saved some money.
Yep, but I missed a good occasion to meet you "for real" which would be valuable, my dear Robert !

Nobody mentioned Niki Lauda, wasn't he supposed to make some comment too? No Bob, not the one he made when running the Schakuarrh F1 team …
Old 22 Feb 2017, 10:43 (Ref:3713953)   #83
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Yep, but I missed a good occasion to meet you "for real" which would be valuable, my dear Robert !

Nobody mentioned Niki Lauda, wasn't he supposed to make some comment too? No Bob, not the one he made when running the Schakuarrh F1 team …
Maybe Niki couldn't 'ear the question!

I was at the GP in 1976, my first 'foreign' race meeting. Nowhere near the accident though.
Old 22 Feb 2017, 11:13 (Ref:3713957)   #84
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
The different comments ring a bell. We should ask terence if this film is based on the one you can watch when visiting the 'Ring museum. If yes the archives side is great with pre war cars but from a documentary to a full length movie, there's a gap!
Old 22 Feb 2017, 11:22 (Ref:3713959)   #85
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Thanks for all the information about the film chaps. It looks like (apart from possibly some great company) I didn't miss anything and was better off stopping in to wash my hair...
Old 22 Feb 2017, 11:24 (Ref:3713960)   #86
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just been told off . You all got wrong end of the stick . I was talking about the girl comentator standing next to JYS . Certainly not Lady Helen . Apologies. From a very damp and wet Mallory Park
Old 22 Feb 2017, 12:00 (Ref:3713970)   #87
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After these reviews I don't think I'll bother.

How can there be a film about the proper ring without mentioning Niki Lauda?

I'll stick with my memories of racing there in the early 80's and scaring the c..p out of myself.
Old 22 Feb 2017, 12:37 (Ref:3713984)   #88
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
After these reviews I don't think I'll bother.

How can there be a film about the proper ring without mentioning Niki Lauda?

I'll stick with my memories of racing there in the early 80's and scaring the c..p out of myself.
Lauda's accident was covered quite graphically, albeit briefly. The man himself did talk about some aspect of the circuit at one point, but in German, which I thought a bit odd, seeing as his English is very good....

I think the documentary is trying to be too many things to too many people. From several comments on here sounds like a lot of us would have preferred a more in depth look at the early history, say up to the end of F1 at the circuit, and are less interested in watching youtube touristenfahrten accidents!
Old 22 Feb 2017, 19:16 (Ref:3714079)   #89
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I enjoyed it. So did my son. In fact, it was a very pleasant evening, with a meal beforehand. Unlike others, I would have been happy with less F1 and certainly more from the early Group C era. If I had minor gripes, they were:-

1. Not enough sports car footage
2. Bearing in mind that the majority of those who spoke in German and were voiced over speak very good English, I would have preferred to have them speaking in English. Guys like Mass, Lauda and especially Stuck are always good value....
3. Nowhere near enough in car footage. I fully expected in a film of this length to get a full in-car lap at serious pace from someone....
4. Occasionally the music was intrusive - especially when I was loving hearing the turbo flutter of the 956.....

But, as I say, I enjoyed it. I may not buy the DVD, but I'm pleased I went to see it.
Old 22 Feb 2017, 19:16 (Ref:3714080)   #90
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Someone onserved that the Hitler Years got scant coverage.
It was of course made by a German company so you couldn't mention the war. It did once and I think it got away with it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 22 Feb 2017, 21:00 (Ref:3714095)   #91
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Quick add- I don't share comments regarding David Croft or Murray- they were both obviously reading from a script. Yes, Murray sounded his age, but still great to hear his voice again! JYS as articulate as ever, Sir Stirling just being himself as always. Jochen Mass excellent value!
Thanks Mike, that's exactly my point; surely as highly experienced professionals they should *not* have sounded like they were reading from a script....
Old 22 Feb 2017, 21:13 (Ref:3714097)   #92
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, of course, the highlight was meeting bauble !

Curate's egg as has been said elsewhere. Interesting archive footage, the paint scraping "story" (which we know isn't right), Alfa DTM cars, Group C, interviews with Mass, Stuck and Danner which made a change from the usual JYS and Moss on these things. Seemed a little disjointed from time to time, but overall worth going to watch.

Brought back good memories of our first visit to the Ring last year for VLN (when it was hot and sunny all day !)
Old 23 Feb 2017, 06:29 (Ref:3714168)   #93
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
1. Not enough sports car footage
2. Bearing in mind that the majority of those who spoke in German and were voiced over speak very good English, I would have preferred to have them speaking in English. Guys like Mass, Lauda and especially Stuck are always good value....
3. Nowhere near enough in car footage. I fully expected in a film of this length to get a full in-car lap at serious pace from someone....
4. Occasionally the music was intrusive - especially when I was loving hearing the turbo flutter of the 956.....

But, as I say, I enjoyed it. I may not buy the DVD, but I'm pleased I went to see it.
Agree with those points. A full in car lap in something quick would have been good and totally appropriate!

I'm pleased that I took the time to watch it on a big screen with decent sound.

And dwh43's comment 'a little disjointed from time to time' is IMHO pretty much spot on as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Thanks Mike, that's exactly my point; surely as highly experienced professionals they should *not* have sounded like they were reading from a script....
Ah, got you!