Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 24 Aug 2011, 10:05 (Ref:2945033)   #1
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Global Rallycross Championship 2012

So, as with last year, a flashy new marketing leaflet has hit the internet in anticipation of the 2012 GRC series:

Global Rallycross 2012 Brochure

Assuming I am reading it correctly (page 7) it seems there will be 7 events in the 2012 season:

21/04/2012 - Las Vegas
05/05/2012 - Chicago
20/05/2012 - New York
02/06/2012 - Atlanta
30/06/2012 - Los Angeles (X-Games)
01/07/2012 - Los Angeles (X-Games)
15/07/2012 - Dallas ("X-Games rallycross"?)

This leaflet is showing two classes for next year (limited and unlimited - page 13), but doesn't seem to mention the 2wd class we saw in the GRC this year?
Old 24 Aug 2011, 11:17 (Ref:2945073)   #2
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems interesting, I prefer the cars in Global Rallycross than european series that's for sure.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2945089)   #3
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! Very impressive marketing material, looks to me like there is some serious money going into this. Very interested to see how this develops, they seem to have cottoned on to the fact that to appeal to the younger market you need to use modern media, something that most other forms of motorsport have been very slow to react to. Hopefully, they'll make full use of You Tube, at least I'll get to see some of it then. Unless highlights turn up on Motors that is.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 12:46 (Ref:2945114)   #4
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a very practical schedule. Races every two weeks may work elsewhere but not in a country the size of the US. Also, from a sponsor viewpoint - and we had no input into this despite being the biggest sponsor (with Rockstar this past year) - we can't activate around the events so close together.

Sponsorship and expectations from it are very different over here and we expect the same output and results as we get from NASCAR......

.....now talking of NASCAR who saw the 'leak' on "Jayski" that spoke of Ford working with NASCAR to take over rallycross in the US?!?!?!? Now we sponsor the #43 Ford Fusion of Petty Motorsports in NASCAR Sprint Cup but that isn't the reason why I have been to far too many NASCAR events this year!

I can't confirm rumors but I can say as a sponsor and a fan I want to partner with NASCAR. 2012 will be exciting.....

Mark
Old 24 Aug 2011, 13:00 (Ref:2945118)   #5
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting comparisons between it and other championships. The only thing that comes close is the WTCC. Great to see them sticking with the ERX regulations as well, because if this thing is to work as a next world championship then they going to need to attract drivers from from as many national championship from around the world as possible. Plus unlike touring cars which has championships running to different regulations, creating one global regulations should help to create a global market for buying second hand cars. I do hope in a few years time as well we see a Super 1600 class in the GRC. This should allow for rookies to see how they do at the highest level.

It's interesting looking at the stats as well. I think they should develop rallycross in South America next after looking at the viewing stats.

So I'm left wondering, when GRC finally becomes international, would there be a national US rallycross championship in its place? It would give new drivers and teams a good starting platform and when there's a GRC round nearby they could mix it up with the GRC drivers similar to when the ERX goes to countries with national championships and the locals take part.

As for the jumps, I'm hoping that they don't over do them. It's a great feature for a few tracks, but I can see it working for every track...
Old 24 Aug 2011, 17:10 (Ref:2945234)   #6
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Global views…
BTW, is the Irwindale vs Global/ESPN/RallyCar issue off the table now?
Old 25 Aug 2011, 08:14 (Ref:2945490)   #7
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The close proximity and huge distance between events does seem a bold move as the only regular competitors are going to be the big dogs of the GRC.

The NASCAR association is interesting to hear. I can't see any information on "Jayski's" site, so I assume the "leak" got pulled?

Can you confirm that the 2wd class has been dropped for next year USRallycross? Whats up with the second "X-Games Rallycross" in Dallas as well? Any details at this stage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik
Great to see them sticking with the ERX regulations as well
If I understand correctly there are some aspects of the GRC cars that would not comply with ERC regulations? rx-guru or one of the other long-termers may be able to confirm that though.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 11:19 (Ref:2945581)   #8
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AFAIK they only follow the ERC rules rather freely. Some cars are not homologated with FIA and not on the 'Eligible for RX' list of FIA, therefore they do not comply with our rules in the first place. Saw pics of cars with spaceframe parts that would also not be allowed in the ERC. However, as I have never been over I do not know much about the cars of the US boys.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2945697)   #9
USRallycross
Racer

United States
I was not consulted on the GRC release so cannot speak to the X Games in Dallas although this looks like a typo. Given how much ESPN covet X Games, I am pretty sure that is not impressive.

I think there will be a 2WD class and have spoken to 2 manufacturers who aren't in rallycross right now who want to run works teams but will only compete in 2WD.

NASCAR is a very exciting option......
Old 25 Aug 2011, 15:53 (Ref:2945737)   #10
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross View Post
Not a very practical schedule. Races every two weeks may work elsewhere but not in a country the size of the US.
But Nascar does races nearly every week for 10 months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
I think they should develop rallycross in South America next after looking at the viewing stats.
No matter what our politicians claim and our militants desire, South America isn't a unified continent like Europe or North America. This year, the South American Rally Championship cut from 6-8 races to 4 because very little entries got to be at all races. This year grids grew a lot, but there isn't much media coverage.

Chile has a very healthy championship because of Mobil backing, Argentina now has locally-built cars (Fiat, Chevrolet, Ford, Peugeot) as the main class rather than Mitsus and Subarus... but this goes very slow. We don't have as many bold investors as in North America. And Brazil is a continent itself, we Spanish-speaking countries don't get much news about them, including rally.

The only way for rallycross to grow here is to partner ESPN or Fox Sports, and host the races together with existing rally championships. Chile has a super stage final event in Santiago. Buenos Aires, Rio and/or Sao Paulo could have one. Córdoba, San Luis and Curitiba could as well, but no matter the large motorsport crowds, they are rather low density places.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 16:27 (Ref:2945760)   #11
USRallycross
Racer

United States
And as a result the cost of competing in NASCAR is excessive for many sponsors and forgot independents......
Old 31 Aug 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2948965)   #12
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
It may be internet BS, but I see comments over on Special Stage and several other US car forums (linked in from the SS forum) that the GRC has left a debt in its wake from 2011?

Not a good rumour to see flying around with talk of the 2012 season only just beginning.
Old 31 Aug 2011, 20:03 (Ref:2949041)   #13
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Since ESPN is backing it, I believe it could stand on red for two more years.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 09:57 (Ref:2949288)   #14
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
can i just say that when i watched the US round on espn i must say the commentator was absolutely diabolical of the highest order,

one of my issues with him when he was talking about gronholm taking his joker lap as follows

first lap "gronholm must take his joker lap, (later on in the lap), he didnt take his joker lap he must take it before the end of the race or risk being dq'ed (next lap) will he take his joker lap NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO, he has to take his joker lap the next lap or the lap after." eventually he did it was even worse than hearing americans on football i ended up switching it off. i turned it back on and had the rest of the programme on mute.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 14:24 (Ref:2949908)   #15
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Well, Andrés Agulla and Alex Pombo were amazing as usual for us Spanish-speakers.
Old 18 Sep 2011, 06:44 (Ref:2957487)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Meanwhile, on GRX official website...

Old 18 Sep 2011, 22:25 (Ref:2957802)   #17
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Who ever set out the leaflet needs to do their research.

Jason Plato's 2010 BTCC S2000 Chevy Cruze isn't a World Touring Car

That's on Page 23 of 29
Old 19 Sep 2011, 08:05 (Ref:2957900)   #18
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Meanwhile, on GRX official website...

Very true!
Old 19 Sep 2011, 16:48 (Ref:2958126)   #19
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
They can't wait until late April to kickstart the show again! I hope that at least at 2012 Aspen they do some event about GRX having an Andros-style ice race in 2013. Speaking of Dirt 3, they could do that at Monte Carlo!
Old 20 Sep 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2958481)   #20
USRallycross
Racer

United States
I know no news is frustrating but things are moving along in a very exciting manner. It is all taking longer than anyone would like but the output should be very cool.

Be patient - just a few more weeks.

Mark
Old 21 Sep 2011, 00:15 (Ref:2958857)   #21
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Who ever set out the leaflet needs to do their research.

Jason Plato's 2010 BTCC S2000 Chevy Cruze isn't a World Touring Car

That's on Page 23 of 29
Well, it is, as it was built for and raced in the WTCC in 2009.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2960028)   #22
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross View Post
Be patient - just a few more weeks.
Will do!

Will there be any kind of season review programme/DVD for the 2011 GRC season?
Old 4 Dec 2011, 22:51 (Ref:2995239)   #23
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So has anything come up with the GRC then? I was flicking though that PDF and apparently they are aiming for 14 events for 2013...

I also came across this interview with Tanner Foust.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 00:20 (Ref:2995286)   #24
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Six events in 2012 starting in Las Vegas on April 15 and ending on July 15, probably in Dallas.

The 13 events referenced for 2013 are a combination of the US events and the non-US events that will be part of the GRC.

Mark
Old 6 Dec 2011, 15:23 (Ref:2996037)   #25
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
It seems that Verena Mei could run in GRX.