Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 2 Jul 2008, 19:04 (Ref:2242428)   #26
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or maybe the major sponsor said, "NO MORE" and an alternative sponsor could not be found
Old 2 Jul 2008, 19:31 (Ref:2242448)   #27
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There wasnt a major sponser, i think Chip takes the target money and spreads it through out the two series (irl and nascar) and if they pick up one of sponsers that goes in the same pot. Reading the Sabates interview it all points to Chips basic mis understanding of NASCAR
Old 2 Jul 2008, 21:10 (Ref:2242533)   #28
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Or maybe the major sponsor said, "NO MORE" and an alternative sponsor could not be found
What main sponsor? Guitar Hero: Aerosmith Edition?
Old 2 Jul 2008, 21:24 (Ref:2242550)   #29
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Presumably he is going to give NASCAR a pass now, although, I guess, it is possible he may try and grind something out - don't think he would exactly have many options even if he had the desire.

ALMS seems like the obvious option to my mind, which would be a good thing. It needs everything it can get. Road-racing is an endangered breed in this part of the world, so I would ultimately be happier with him in ALMS.

Dario's rough run has been sad to witness, but, as others have said, it was not exactly a surprise. The NASCAR world is a heck of a tough one to crack: I often think what people seem to forget is the most of the competitors have been entrenched in such systems all their lives, working up through the ladders, so it is not like one can expect anything other than a struggle in most cases. JPM has done remarkably well, given the circumstances, but he's more of an exception than a rule.

Ah, well, who is next up for a failed assault on NASCAR?
Old 3 Jul 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2242957)   #30
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Danica with a bit of luck! I can't think of anyone more deserving of a reality check.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2242965)   #31
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
Danica with a bit of luck! I can't think of anyone more deserving of a reality check.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2243001)   #32
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair on Dario he's doing alright in Nationwide and appears to have a budget. So if he's happy to race on there I suspect he will. Sabates seems to bear this out too.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 12:44 (Ref:2243016)   #33
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
He's done DTM already - over 10 years ago. He won't be back there. WTCC's not his bag either, he'd be in Sportscars first - I don't see him leaving America at all though so that'd be ALMS.
Only problem with the DTM argument is that Dario himself has said he wouldn't mind racing it again, and that was towards the end of 07.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2243018)   #34
captain crunch
Racer

captain crunch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I notice many are mentioning alms as a destination for Dario, but in the short term, what about grand-am? After all, Chip Ganassi fields a car there as well. Combine that with a Nationwide program and wait for a cup opportunity to present itself would be the most likely option, surely?
Old 3 Jul 2008, 12:54 (Ref:2243022)   #35
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunch
I notice many are mentioning alms as a destination for Dario, but in the short term, what about grand-am? After all, Chip Ganassi fields a car there as well. Combine that with a Nationwide program and wait for a cup opportunity to present itself would be the most likely option, surely?
Sounds like a good shout, but is there a slot in the DP car?
Old 3 Jul 2008, 13:27 (Ref:2243035)   #36
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
Sounds like a good shout, but is there a slot in the DP car?
Not unless Ganassi gets rid of Pruett (not going to happen) or Rojas (slightly more realistic, but still highly unlikely). Or maybe he brings back the 02 car (also unlikely).
Old 3 Jul 2008, 14:11 (Ref:2243067)   #37
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Curt Cavin has made the observation that slots just happen to have come up in the AGR ALMS car this week. Interesting, but I don't see it to be honest. Marino F departing the AGR team happened to coincide with Dario leaving their IRL car, implying there had been something of a parting of the ways of all concerned. Obviously, a seat there would still be convenient for all parties, but I'm yet to be convinced there's a will to make it happen.

(Mods: can I pls suggest a title change to "#40 team shuts down / Franchitti's future)
Old 3 Jul 2008, 14:16 (Ref:2243074)   #38
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sound plan Mystery.

Yes, a lot of us rushed into suggesting the ALMS route, but thinking back his last few months under Michael Andretti weren't the happiest of times were they? A reunion is perhaps a step too far.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 14:52 (Ref:2243100)   #39
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
I really hope he doesn't end up riding around mid-pack in a Busch car. That would be a disservice to both him and Chip. Especially as there are a lot of drivers who could probably win in the car.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 20:21 (Ref:2243326)   #40
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Anyway - all round bad news. NASCAR again becomes an all american, xenophobic little series. A shame.
An absolutely ridiculous statement. Would it be any different if an American turned up from the USA all the sudden to race F1? No. Nascar is it's own system. Like baseball or football or rugby or any other sport. As an interloper you can't expect to drop right in and bang everything clicks.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 21:24 (Ref:2243392)   #41
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
An absolutely ridiculous statement. Would it be any different if an American turned up from the USA all the sudden to race F1? No. Nascar is it's own system. Like baseball or football or rugby or any other sport. As an interloper you can't expect to drop right in and bang everything clicks.
That's exactly it. StockCar racing is totally alien to single seater, or sportscar racing. You're working with something that is very agricultural in terms of setup, but needs a good setup to qualify (you have to be on the pace, or you're out with 45 or so cars aiming for 43 slots - plus champions provisionals in the mix!), you have to build the experience to reach the top, and although Dario understands fast, and understands setup, he relies on his crewchief's experience to learn how to work his car. And there, I feel, may be the issue.

Add the fact his team's chosen mount is a Dog, errr I mean Dodge, he was always going to be on an uphill struggle.

When he got the car right in qualifying, it'd often fall back in the race, and that comes from two things - lack of experience, and lack of understanding between the driver, the crewchief, and the car.

Look at the Ganassi cars at Infineon. Everyone expect Dario to go well, but the car was extra-loose and they couldn't hook up a lap. They say that JPM used every last ounce of his skill to qualify his mount as high as he did, and the difference between his time and Dario's wasn't a country mile.

I personally hope that he sticks with StockCars, it's good for the soul, teaches you more about your own abilities than any hypertechnical sportscar/single seater ever will. My personal wish is that he gets a drive with a Chevy or Toyota powered car for the rest of the season, but I'd be happy to see him concentrate on learning the craft in Nationwide, and learning how to "bully" other cars into wreks in CTS!!

Then come 2009, back into Cup.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 07:44 (Ref:2243653)   #42
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcat
I really hope he doesn't end up riding around mid-pack in a Busch car. That would be a disservice to both him and Chip. Especially as there are a lot of drivers who could probably win in the car.
A touch unfair I think. In several races this season Dario has been about the top non-Cup non-rookie runner so he's done about as much as could be expected there I think. Montoya has converted better sure, but Dario's been ok. Would have been interesting to have seen him run in Montreal in the NW car.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 17:11 (Ref:2244072)   #43
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Penske are possibly switching to Toyota aren't they?
No. They re-signed with Dodge along with Ganassi before the Daytona 500. I have no idea why both of them are sticking with Dodge when Toyota is out there with an unlimited budget. Look at how much Toyota has done for JGR and Red Bull.

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 5 Jul 2008, 22:33 (Ref:2244810)   #44
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68812

Dario's declared his NASCAR plans. I hope he is able to stick it out as I think he could make it work given time.
Old 6 Jul 2008, 08:22 (Ref:2244987)   #45
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68812

Dario's declared his NASCAR plans. I hope he is able to stick it out as I think he could make it work given time.
Well, those are more intentions then plans.