Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Sep 2009, 21:10 (Ref:2543614)   #1
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Belgian GP to be axed

according to this article (babelfish translation from Dutch) the Walloon government is thinking of scrapping the F1 GP after 2012, as part of 5-year-budget cutting plan.

of course, it's from a "leaked" document, so it's not confirmed yet.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2543622)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I think everyone on here would agree that losing Spa would be terrible. I hope it isn't true.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 21:33 (Ref:2543630)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Especialy after the Wallonia Government have invested £15,000,000 in the new Hotel !
Old 18 Sep 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2543633)   #4
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

We all know who is to blame in this one
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 19 Sep 2009, 03:58 (Ref:2543696)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
Flav or Symonds I am guessing, perhaps even Ron Dennis?
Old 19 Sep 2009, 12:29 (Ref:2543840)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
No,it's Max Mosley! It's got to be Max Mosley!

I hope that this isn't true because I can think of a good few other races I'd like to see heading the 'Don't really need to go there again' list.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2543850)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sure there's something to do with Max !
Old 19 Sep 2009, 13:40 (Ref:2543857)   #8
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya?
Old 19 Sep 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2543863)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
To loose Spa would be a travesty...
Old 19 Sep 2009, 14:54 (Ref:2543875)   #10
AUTOLEGEND
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
AUTOLEGEND should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa Francorchamps and Monaco and Monza have to keep their GPs. They are the heart of F1.

And besides, i remember reading that in the run-up to the GP that sales were sluggish but by the time Friday practice ran, they were passed 70,000 sales. Is that true?
Old 19 Sep 2009, 15:43 (Ref:2543899)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I'm sure there's something to do with Max !
You're not going to be able to say that for much longer are you?

It could be a Bernie thing or a local government thing or a 'Just what the hell is this **** that we're paying out all these millions for!?' thing.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2543901)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motominded View Post
Spa Francorchamps and Monaco and Monza have to keep their GPs. They are the heart of F1.

And besides, i remember reading that in the run-up to the GP that sales were sluggish but by the time Friday practice ran, they were passed 70,000 sales. Is that true?

Well they need 70,000 tickets sold to break even, I have not found how many they actually did sell still looking..
Old 19 Sep 2009, 16:43 (Ref:2543911)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
All I can find is this...

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html...cle&sid=117550
Old 19 Sep 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2543919)   #14
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
Flav or Symonds I am guessing, perhaps even Ron Dennis?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
No,it's Max Mosley! It's got to be Max Mosley!

I hope that this isn't true because I can think of a good few other races I'd like to see heading the 'Don't really need to go there again' list.
Aparently we don't all know... I thought Bernie for sure.

I think Mr. E should pay the bill. Realistically I think FOM could at least cover the deficit.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 17:16 (Ref:2543923)   #15
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was also rumoured that Zolder could take over as of 2013, but this has already been denied by Zolder's marketing manager Walter Goossens.

Quote:
"... Zolder is a privately owned track of grade 2. An upgrade to grade 1 is almost impossible for Zolder. ...
We aim at autosport at the highest level, but without F1. ...
Today's regulations and financial requirements make it impossible for F1 to return to Zolder. Only a drastic change in regulations and an enormous backing from the private or public sector might change our minds."

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/954/Formule...r-morgen.dhtml
Old 19 Sep 2009, 18:11 (Ref:2543948)   #16
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
To loose Spa would be a travesty...
I totally agree.

Monaco is safe, hopefully, because they don't have to pay anything to Bernie to put on the race.

The other two jewels in the crown are Spa and Monza and the loss of either or both of them would devalue the Championship.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2543955)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
You know I did not know that about Monaco!

Spa, Monza, Silverstone and Suzuka are the real racing circuits aren't they..
Old 19 Sep 2009, 18:35 (Ref:2543961)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
You know I did not know that about Monaco!
Monaco is the 'Ferrari' of racing circuits;Deeply annoying and over-hyped,but always safe in the knowledge that F1 would self-destruct without its participation.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 19:20 (Ref:2544002)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Monaco is the 'Ferrari' of racing circuits;Deeply annoying and over-hyped,but always safe in the knowledge that F1 would self-destruct without its participation.
Isn't that one thing that makes F1 unique ?
Old 19 Sep 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2544013)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Isn't that one thing that makes F1 unique ?
I would still watch without either or both.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 22:50 (Ref:2544077)   #21
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Spa, Monza, Silverstone and Suzuka are the real racing circuits aren't they..
Yes, absolutely.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 23:02 (Ref:2544081)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Mate I would have added Hockenheim to that list had it not been "altered" is the kindest way I can describe it..
Old 19 Sep 2009, 23:30 (Ref:2544095)   #23
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaffer View Post
It was also rumoured that Zolder could take over as of 2013, but this has already been denied by Zolder's marketing manager Walter Goossens.
Is Walter Goossens related to Marc Goosens?
Old 19 Sep 2009, 23:59 (Ref:2544107)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Is Walter Goossens related to Marc Goosens?
I really doubt that.
Old 20 Sep 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2544419)   #25
pdman
Racer

New Zealand
Napier
pdman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I thought it was rumoured that in order for all Countries, Organisers and Sponsers to save money Bernie has agreed to Bahrain Hosting all future F1 races. They will do this by creating circuits on the islands that make up "The World" off shore complex. With all races being held in such close proximity they will be held on a roling 3 day cycle thereby completing the whole season in just 2 months and saving millions in transport and salaries. The whole show will be recorded and played back to the general public over 8 months to keep the TV companies happy.