Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Oct 2010, 20:03 (Ref:2775870)   #26
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Consistency ranking:
1. Race stewards.
2. FIA.
3. Fans.
4. Webber fans.

(ACO and many other series not even in the top five)
Quote:
Oh, in case you were wondering:

5. Biased British Hamilton fans.
6. Michael Schumacher Fans?
Old 16 Oct 2010, 20:54 (Ref:2775888)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
I agree that the stewards should release some kind of reasoning behind any penalties, just a few lines just so the fans could understand why .
I really don't think this would help. It would just be more words for people to pick inconsistencies in. For instance, if some one believed this:
Quote:
Perhaps this would help in stopping all this rumour about favouritism towards certain teams and orchestration of the championship ?
Then an elaboration of decisions wouldn't satisfy them. They would just read something else into it.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 21:37 (Ref:2775904)   #28
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Maybe it would help if all the incidents were consistent?

As time goes on I have less and less of a problem with all this. I watch rugby and these kind of decisions are made every minute of the game. I suppose it helps because the frequency averages them out.
I find some of the referee's decicions in Rugby Union inconsistent and I find the concept of playing the game to the referee inconsistent; the game shouldn't be dictated by the referee's interpretation of the rules and the same applies to F1.

As to the incident's in F1 not being inconsistent, I think quite a few are consistent, it's the penalties that aren't and that's what people are objecting to.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 21:58 (Ref:2775916)   #29
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I get that. I just don't think that further explanation will help. Other than to supply more words for people to get giddy about.

As in rugby many people find the rules are inconsistent depending on who is playing.

Or just their view on the rule rather than the application of it.

Also you have to accept that, as with many things, it just isn't possible to always be consistent. Unless two things happen at the same time in exactly the same manner then they are different. F1 isn't a board game. Rules, in both sport, also develop and may be applied differently from one incident to another. Especially if in the mean time we've had some public outrage!
Old 16 Oct 2010, 22:23 (Ref:2775925)   #30
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think in Rugby Union many people find the rules are inconsistent, depending on the referee; take the France v England game in the 6 Nations, Jonathan Kaplan's dedicicions (the South African ref) were very questionable.

Yes there is the human equation when it comes to giving penalties in sport but when you get situations, as in Hockenheim this year and the resulting decicision, is it any wonder people despair?
Old 16 Oct 2010, 23:00 (Ref:2775938)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Hockenhiem probably demonstrates my point.No matter what extra information (the FIA did give a full understanding of the situation) was given some people would not have liked the situation. It would also have been very difficult to be consistent with everything that had gone before.
If there had been true consistency then the rule would never have been introduced in the first place.

As for Kaplan, I consistently groan whenever I see he is about to referee a match I am about to watch.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 23:34 (Ref:2775945)   #32
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Hockenhiem probably demonstrates my point.No matter what extra information (the FIA did give a full understanding of the situation) was given some people would not have liked the situation. It would also have been very difficult to be consistent with everything that had gone before.
If there had been true consistency then the rule would never have been introduced in the first place.

As for Kaplan, I consistently groan whenever I see he is about to referee a match I am about to watch.
I think Hockenheim is a good example of the inconsistency in F1 ruling. Everyone knew what happened, even the FIA but they fudged it in order to keep everyone happy, that is everyone within the sport but it's ruffled lots of feathers. The Monaco Schumacher business did likewise and this latest business in Japan just adds more scepticism.

I know what you are saying and like with Wnut's argument about transparency I'm arguing the same point as you but from a diffrerent perspective.

As for Kaplan, I don't really get it.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 23:39 (Ref:2775947)   #33
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I get that. I just don't think that further explanation will help. Other than to supply more words for people to get giddy about.

As in rugby many people find the rules are inconsistent depending on who is playing.

Or just their view on the rule rather than the application of it.

Also you have to accept that, as with many things, it just isn't possible to always be consistent. Unless two things happen at the same time in exactly the same manner then they are different. F1 isn't a board game. Rules, in both sport, also develop and may be applied differently from one incident to another. Especially if in the mean time we've had some public outrage!
The difference is that the Referee in Rugby Union does not get to award a whole series on a single decision, and if he makes a lot of questionable decisions, then questions will be asked.

I think that any sport should strive to have the rules fairly and impartially applied. Why would you not want the stewards' decisions subject to scrutiny and the reasons published so a system of precedence is created instead of a random lottery? All the driver rep on the stewards' committee ensures is a different bias at every race.

On a side note, I must admit it doesn't worry me much when Reugby Refs screw up their decisions.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 23:48 (Ref:2775950)   #34
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Ruegby as whole has me confused.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 00:00 (Ref:2775951)   #35
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The difference is that the Referee in Rugby Union does not get to award a whole series on a single decision, and if he makes a lot of questionable decisions, then questions will be asked.

I think that any sport should strive to have the rules fairly and impartially applied. Why would you not want the stewards' decisions subject to scrutiny and the reasons published so a system of precedence is created instead of a random lottery? All the driver rep on the stewards' committee ensures is a different bias at every race.

On a side note, I must admit it doesn't worry me much when Reugby Refs screw up their decisions.
That's because one Rugby Union ref doesn't preside over every game and therefore an entire series. The problem with Rugby Union is the game is played to the ref, not the other way round. There are rules governing what can and cannot be done and they shouldn't be open to the ref's interpretation.

With F1 there are certain rules as well but they seem to deal with how many engines and gearboxes you are allowed to use rather than rules that deal with the racing itself; hence the inconsistency in the Japanese GP.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 09:43 (Ref:2776551)   #36
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I definitely agree there. I assume those who transgress get the full reasoning, but in the interest of openness and clarity, the full explanations should be freely available.
Sadly it'll never happen, you have more chance of seeing goal mouth and video reply technolagy introduced for referee's in top flight football.
Old 19 Oct 2010, 11:53 (Ref:2777078)   #37
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really understand the comparison with Rugby because the referee must make a decision there and then (with a limited video review facility at time).

In F1 the stewards have all the time in the world to come up with a good decision. Like the original poster I don't understand how Petrov got a penalty and Massa didn't.

Massa chose to drive on the grass rather than slow down and as a result of his decision he could have wiped out half the field. The fact he didn't was pure luck. If you collide because of a misjudgement (Petrov) then I can live with a penalty but I can live without. If you make a bad decision to leave the track and collide as a result that should be a penalty in my humble opinion.
Old 19 Oct 2010, 21:58 (Ref:2777253)   #38
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
I don't really understand the comparison with Rugby because the referee must make a decision there and then (with a limited video review facility at time).

In F1 the stewards have all the time in the world to come up with a good decision. Like the original poster I don't understand how Petrov got a penalty and Massa didn't.

Massa chose to drive on the grass rather than slow down and as a result of his decision he could have wiped out half the field. The fact he didn't was pure luck. If you collide because of a misjudgement (Petrov) then I can live with a penalty but I can live without. If you make a bad decision to leave the track and collide as a result that should be a penalty in my humble opinion.
I agree with your logic.

They need a better system than ad hoc random penalties driven by unclear motives!