Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Feb 2016, 00:29 (Ref:3618332)   #51
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I'm pretty sure there were no more than 5/6 on circuit at any given time today, just as well there weren't more cars testing than turned up! With a fuller grid you would have been lucky to get more than 3 stints, seems crazy but I guess it's down to noise restrictions? I noticed quite a number of competitors with secondary silencing to comply with the circuit limit.
Local noise limits means that they can't have more than one 'loud' car on track at once. So if you are marginal on the 105db limit you have to wait until others have finished, so for the big bangers last year such as my Attila, we sat there waiting to go out whilst others queue jumped as they were 'quiet'
Old 28 Feb 2016, 11:09 (Ref:3618383)   #52
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Goodwood is the pinnacle of Historic racing.

Along with Le Mans Classic!

Certainly those US events are good but the racing is not as spirited as our side of pond and along with some very historic cars there are some iffy jobs.

Who won the Easter F1 race in 65?
Pity Jim Clark always seemed to be at Pau GP!
More money for Chunkey?
Old 28 Feb 2016, 20:57 (Ref:3618483)   #53
Middle_BBG
Racer

Middle_BBG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just as an aside, I'd like to see a more "clubbie" line up of races, better to remind me of what race meetings were like when I was a younger man.

I'd like to see races for FF1600, FF2000 and Special Saloons/Modsports so the Members Meeting stands as a separate event rather than a mini Revival. On the other hand, if I'm fortunate enough to be selected to marshal, I'll be happy enough just to be there.
Old 28 Feb 2016, 21:20 (Ref:3618493)   #54
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Goodwood, It's all about organising races for the maximum appeal as they see it.

The results show they do a superb job on behalf of Charles March

May not be what petrol heads want buts it as LMC is a business!
Old 28 Feb 2016, 23:18 (Ref:3618519)   #55
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Organising races for the maximum appeal of who really?

80 plus sterling is not perhaps anyone, it is a select group of people.

They are only targeting the meeting at them, no-one else.

If they were targeting anyone they would price more competitively. I fear they do this to prevent massive crowds and therefore a massive increase in expenditure from their point of view in terms of security and outlets etc. Maximise profits from those that would pay 200 quid to turn up and watch this stuff no matter what the weather or anything, minimise the costs to them.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 06:46 (Ref:3618570)   #56
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

As long as they fill the place with people does it matter who or what they are from the organisers point of view?

They cannot shoehorn in anymore at either FOS or Revival.

It's a business success.and that's the judgement.

99% of racing these days are produced by people who do it for a living.

The days of clubs running racing series are few and far between.

That's life.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 21:31 (Ref:3619419)   #57
Normal Bloke
Rookie

Normal Bloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The general public will not spend £80 to watch some physio from Luton go fast but they will certainly pay that figure, or more, to watch Rowan Atkinson, Paul Hollywood, Chris Hoy or Jamie Martin go 2 seconds slower.
It's quite simple really. I don't get invited because....
a) I'm not famous and
b) I'm not a professional, or even semi-professional, driver/racecar preparer.

Although....I can't wait to see their faces when David Beckham turns up.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 21:36 (Ref:3619422)   #58
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Only two seconds a lap slower!

Why do people share their cars with D list people?

Never understood that.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 22:54 (Ref:3619436)   #59
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post

Never understood that.
Because if they did not agree to that then they (and their car) would not get to be part of the 'pinnacle' event

Simple as that .........
Old 3 Mar 2016, 07:43 (Ref:3619496)   #60
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Understand that ,but why? I don't understand what makes owners star struck.Not as though any of these people are going to set the Nationals alight! The people on celebrity big brother are better known!

Most of these guest drivers don't care about the cars they drive and owners are just used.

Been there with them trying to play with my bags of bolts.Didnt happen.

Interesting thinking.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 08:16 (Ref:3619499)   #61
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I never understood why people get ex has beens to scrawl all over their cars with marker pens.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 08:33 (Ref:3619501)   #62
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John you are in the lucky position of having the choice of quality race meetings to take part in. The "celebrity" system allows many mere mortals into that Club. Heck we can't even join GRRC as a member at the moment can we? Let alone be on the "inside" at one of the biggest historic happenings.

The Revival may not be my cup of tea, but it is to many others. If sharing with a "sleb" is the price to pay, I can see the attraction.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 08:37 (Ref:3619502)   #63
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Not sure we are on Goodwood invitation list!
Old 3 Mar 2016, 10:52 (Ref:3619513)   #64
mikenunn-78
Racer

United Kingdom
mikenunn-78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know who is testing today?
Old 3 Mar 2016, 11:56 (Ref:3619521)   #65
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Probably not now!
Old 3 Mar 2016, 12:22 (Ref:3619526)   #66
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Its not difficult to get pushed off the ladder

Quote:
Old 5 Mar 2016, 15:04 (Ref:3620222)   #67
Normal Bloke
Rookie

Normal Bloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Only two seconds a lap slower!

Never understood that.
......because, John......the A listers tend to wrap them up.....e.g. Chris Hoy in that rally car last year at the Fest, and Daley Thompson in every single motor race he ever drove in.

At least the D listers, Martin, Hollywood (is that his real name?) et al tend just to pootle about at the back and not get in anyone's way.

The only celeb I've ever let in my car won Le Mans outright once .......and even he buggered the crank/flywheel taper by "crashing" the box!
Old 6 Mar 2016, 08:31 (Ref:3620469)   #68
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having just been granted a 24 hr pass from high command to attend I was gutted to discover that it was sold out
Does anyone have 2 tickets they want to sell ?
Old 6 Mar 2016, 10:25 (Ref:3620511)   #69
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When do we get to see the entry list, or am I looking in the wrong place?
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 6 Mar 2016, 12:42 (Ref:3620540)   #70
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lol. Don't start that again!😆
Old 6 Mar 2016, 12:50 (Ref:3620543)   #71
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Not JT as well!
Old 6 Mar 2016, 19:13 (Ref:3620595)   #72
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
When do we get to see the entry list, or am I looking in the wrong place?
John,
I'll try to be slightly more helpful than those two.

Someone asked the same question on the event's Facebook page on 2nd March and Goodwood replied that it would be published either later that week or the next. So presumably that means in the coming week.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 08:17 (Ref:3620802)   #73
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sorry if it was asked before. I am getting senile! I'm afraid I don't do facebook. Someone has now kindly furnished me with an entry list which I cannot disclose 'cos, I'd then have to kill you all!!

I'm concerned at the contents of one of the races, since a few of them are in our Tom Cole Trophy Race at VSCC Spring Start in April so I'm praying for no incidents or mechanical woes!!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 7 Mar 2016, 09:09 (Ref:3620819)   #74
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Someone also asked in this thread.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 09:32 (Ref:3620827)   #75
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yeah, I guessed that, but idleness prevented me from turning back the pages!!