Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jun 2018, 21:00 (Ref:3827264)   #1326
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
But, Peter, the CAP isn't spread evenly over the other 27 states. In fact, from memory, France is by far the largest recipient of farming subsidies from the EU, and has been for many, many years. As such, they will be the largest loser.
Probably true but the point is no country will lose such a large amount individually.

I had some figures the other day on how much trade the different countries do with the UK, the largest was something like 9%, whereas the UK's trade with the EU is around 50%.
Whatever happens will have less effect on 9% than 50%.

Don't know why I had the figures though, what I was working on involved employment stats!
Old 6 Jun 2018, 21:10 (Ref:3827268)   #1327
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Just because they might work hard in an industry, whether that be agriculture or car manufacturing, doesn't automatically mean that they are productive. And it is said, how true I don't know, that the French farmers are not as productive as those from elsewhere.

By the way, I should add that I am a convinced remainer; I see no good coming from the UK leaving the EU.
The thing with productivity is how is it measured - given the amount of land available it is possible that the French don't produce as much per square metre as some other countries but the amount per person could be similar.

And they probably don't take into account quality, as has been said the French produce tends to be good and the customers are bothered about that, some other countries are only interested in how cheap something is.

There's bound to be some good coming from the UK leaving but it's more likely to be felt in other countries - such as US exports of chlorinated chicken!!
Old 6 Jun 2018, 21:15 (Ref:3827269)   #1328
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Great selection of cars, there, Gordon.....2 Cortina Mk1 convertibles surprised me, but 2 x V8 Pilots ? Haven't seen one in years

Lancs, you are to be applauded for a brave but ultimately unsuccessful attempt to reintroduce some automobile content to the thread
Old 6 Jun 2018, 21:38 (Ref:3827278)   #1329
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Great selection of cars, there, Gordon.....2 Cortina Mk1 convertibles surprised me, but 2 x V8 Pilots ? Haven't seen one in years
Back in the 60s we had two Pilots in the family, my brother had a saloon and my old man had a "woody". I was talking to one of the owners and mentioned that we always had problems in heavy rain that would get onto the distributor caps that are very low down on the front of the side valve V8. He said it would still a problem but he will only go out in decent weather He also said that a "woody" is worth a lot of money today as not many were made, my old man took his to the local scrap yard because the big ends had gone !!!! : Hindsight
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Jun 2018, 07:03 (Ref:3827311)   #1330
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
On a more cheery note, Tim Falce tipped me off that a classic car rally was passing through my village in the UK, so I popped down and made a quick video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC9xsnZohTo&t=15s
Very nice, Gordon!

Plenty of comments about the Cortina convertibles, but did no-one notice the Lotus Elan +2 Convertible?

According to Russell Hayes' Cortina history, around 52 Cortina Mk1's were converted by Crayford, from early 1964. The work added a whopping £180 - £220 to the cost of the car! He says 30 of the cars were exported to Bermuda for use as hotel taxis. At the time of publication (2012) the Crayford Convertible Car Club had just 17 survivors on its books.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 07:18 (Ref:3827314)   #1331
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Very nice, Gordon!

Plenty of comments about the Cortina convertibles, but did no-one notice the Lotus Elan +2 Convertible?

According to Russell Hayes' Cortina history, around 52 Cortina Mk1's were converted by Crayford, from early 1964. The work added a whopping £180 - £220 to the cost of the car! He says 30 of the cars were exported to Bermuda for use as hotel taxis. At the time of publication (2012) the Crayford Convertible Car Club had just 17 survivors on its books.
Yes John, I noticed the Elan + 2 convertible. One of two really nice 105E front bumpers seen in Gordon's lovely video...
Old 7 Jun 2018, 07:22 (Ref:3827315)   #1332
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Yes John, I noticed the Elan + 2 convertible. One of two really nice 105E front bumpers seen in Gordon's lovely video...
Indeed!

My favourite was the black original Capri. Got a bit of a soft spot for those for some reason.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 07:28 (Ref:3827316)   #1333
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
We have an english couple member of our Capri Club owning what I think to be a Cortina MK1 Crayford, owner is Ron from Blackpool. Charming people.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 07:38 (Ref:3827317)   #1334
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
We have an english couple member of our Capri Club owning what I think to be a Cortina MK1 Crayford, owner is Ron from Blackpool. Charming people.
One of the few. I found a bit more on the internet that says none of the Bermuda cars have survived, so if the survival rate here is currently 17 cars out of a total of about 22, that's pretty good.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 08:48 (Ref:3827325)   #1335
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I remember taking a MK 2 Zephyr up to Crayford's to get "the chop" back in the late 60s, the firm was close to where I live and it was always interesting to see what they were up to.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Jun 2018, 09:13 (Ref:3827329)   #1336
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
That sounded painful Gordon
Old 7 Jun 2018, 09:18 (Ref:3827332)   #1337
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
One of the few. I found a bit more on the internet that says none of the Bermuda cars have survived, so if the survival rate here is currently 17 cars out of a total of about 22, that's pretty good.
Bit unkind John, I am sure there are many charming couples in Blackpool
Old 7 Jun 2018, 09:21 (Ref:3827335)   #1338
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For those of you who love such things I can advise that the 27th Festival of Transport is taking place in Luton this weekend with over 1000 classic vehicles on display. Personally the £5.0 entry fee is beyond my means so will be unable to tell you what treasures can be seen.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 09:21 (Ref:3827336)   #1339
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Talking of convertible's, I still have a MX5 that I think is one of the best reliable 2 seater sports cars that you can buy for peanuts.
I had a 60s Elan in the workshop last week and although the Mx5 was a copy it's a lot less aggro to work on !
Old 7 Jun 2018, 09:23 (Ref:3827337)   #1340
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post

I must agree Delta, although I have not undergone the treatment myself.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 09:27 (Ref:3827339)   #1341
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

I must agree Delta, although I have not undergone the treatment myself.

Go on, give it a go, Bob! Must be quite a few 'professionals' in your neck of the woods who could help.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3827342)   #1342
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I remember taking a MK 2 Zephyr up to Crayford's to get "the chop" back in the late 60s, the firm was close to where I live and it was always interesting to see what they were up to.
Back in the 70's there was a Crayford Mk 2 Cortina with a Jeff Uren Savage (3 litre V6) conversion. this wasn't a convertible though, I think they called it a coupe. They cut the 'C' pillar and moved the rear window forwards so that the 'A' & 'C' pillars were the same width. At the time I thought how smart that looked (probably helped by the colour scheme, silver roof and metallic maroon body), and more like a 2002 BMW.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3827347)   #1343
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Back in the 70's there was a Crayford Mk 2 Cortina with a Jeff Uren Savage (3 litre V6) conversion. this wasn't a convertible though, I think they called it a coupe. They cut the 'C' pillar and moved the rear window forwards so that the 'A' & 'C' pillars were the same width. At the time I thought how smart that looked (probably helped by the colour scheme, silver roof and metallic maroon body), and more like a 2002 BMW.
That too is in the Russell Hayes book. It does look a little odd!

He describes it as a Crayford V6 Coupe & says the rear window was made with a Cortina windscreen. Apparently it was advertised as a Lotus-eater.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 10:24 (Ref:3827352)   #1344
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
That too is in the Russell Hayes book. It does look a little odd!

He describes it as a Crayford V6 Coupe & says the rear window was made with a Cortina windscreen. Apparently it was advertised as a Lotus-eater.
Thanks John, I think I'll be treating myself to a copy of that book, it's only £9.99 from Amazon.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3827357)   #1345
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Thanks John, I think I'll be treating myself to a copy of that book, it's only £9.99 from Amazon.
I bought it really for the Lotus Cortina section & haven't read the whole book but it's pretty comprehensive, with a lot of interesting photos etc. Covers the Corsair as well as all the Cortina variants.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 13:24 (Ref:3827396)   #1346
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yes it took about a year to walk properly
Incidentally the Zephyr (although thinking back it could have been a Zodiac ?) was two tone red and black , I've no idea what happened to it afterwards but I was impressed with the work at the time.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 7 Jun 2018 at 13:35.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 13:46 (Ref:3827399)   #1347
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yes it took about a year to walk properly
Incidentally the Zephyr (although thinking back it could have been a Zodiac ?) was two tone red and black , I've no idea what happened to it afterwards but I was impressed with the work at the time.

2 tone would suggest Zodiac.

There was a black Mk2 something (Possibly a humble Consul) around this way a few years back. May still be around of course but I don't often go to places where I might see it.
Old 8 Jun 2018, 13:00 (Ref:3827649)   #1348
bauble
Veteran

England
Does anyone else get emails from CD Write?

GATOR ATTACK

Florida Woman Stops Alligator Attack Using a Small Beretta Pistol (the right to bear arms)

Perhaps - A good reason to have a concealed weapons permit.

This is a story of self-control and marksmanship by a brave, cool-headed woman with a small pistol against a fierce predator.

What's the smallest caliber which you would trust to protect yourself?

Here's her story in her own words:

"While out walking along the edge of a pond just outside my house in Lakeland with my soon to be ex-husband, discussing property settlement and other divorce issues, we were surprised by a huge, 12ft alligator, which suddenly emerged from the murky water. It began charging us with its large jaws wide open. She must have been protecting her nest, because she was extremely aggressive. If I had not had my little Beretta .25 caliber pistol with me, I would not be here today!

Just one shot to my estranged husband's kneecap was all it took. The 'gator got him easily and I was able to escape by just walking away at a brisk pace. The amount I saved in lawyer's fees was really incredible. His life insurance was a big bonus!
Old 8 Jun 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3827653)   #1349
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Women… never lose self control!
Old 8 Jun 2018, 14:11 (Ref:3827659)   #1350
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Does anyone else get emails from CD Write?

I'm pretty sure that I went to school with Seedy Wright. Scruffy fellah, from memory!
Closed Thread