Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 22 Apr 2002, 15:36 (Ref:267462)   #1
petrobras_babe
Rookie

petrobras_babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tomas Scheckter injured

J. Lazier, Scheckter Admitted To Pa. Hospital

Indy Racing League veteran Jaques Lazier and rookie Tomas Scheckter each were admitted to Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown, Pa., in stable condition April 21 after suffering injuries in an accident during the Firestone Indy 225 at Nazareth Speedway, said Dr. Henry Bock, Indy Racing League director of medical services.

Lazier, from Alta Loma, Calif., suffered a lower spinal fracture and a concussion, Bock said. Lazier has full movement of his extremities, Bock said.

Scheckter, from Cape Town, South Africa, suffered a lung contusion and a concussion, Bock said.

Lazier and Scheckter collided on Lap 123 of the 225-lap race. Scheckter drove his No. 52 Red Bull Cheever Racing Dallara/Infiniti/Firestone under the No. 2 Menards/Johns Manville Dallara/Chevrolet/Firestone of Lazier in Turn 3, and the cars touched, sending both into the outside retaining wall.

An update of the drivers’ conditions will be provided when available.
Old 22 Apr 2002, 16:18 (Ref:267492)   #2
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the update. Jaques took a direct backwards hit, probably similar to Sam schmidt's accident. It's a pretty good testiment to the car's safety that he was injured as little as he was (compared to how bad it could have been). I am really curious if either of them was wearing a HANS.

I am still fiercely critical of the IRL for not mandating HANS usage on all tracks. With the success enjoyed in other series with the device, it is bordering on criminal that IRL drivers are allowed to let their heads flop around like ripe melons ready to be plucked off the vine. Many IRL drivers wear them on their own, so there is absolutely no excuse for everyone not having one on all the time.

No excuses. The IRL needs to wake up on this one.
Old 22 Apr 2002, 16:25 (Ref:267502)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
That is so very true.
Old 22 Apr 2002, 21:18 (Ref:267890)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Monday, April 22:
Both drivers upgraded to "good" condition, and both will be released this week.
http://sports.excite.com/news/04222002/v2890.html
Old 22 Apr 2002, 21:32 (Ref:267900)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's good news. All the best to both of them.
Old 23 Apr 2002, 02:16 (Ref:268021)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I didnt see the race unfortunately but that sounds like it was nasty , glad to hear that both of them are recovering well and dont have any serious injuries
Old 23 Apr 2002, 14:50 (Ref:268489)   #7
petrobras_babe
Rookie

Is it true that Scheckter might get suspended????
Old 23 Apr 2002, 14:58 (Ref:268496)   #8
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No you mis-heard, it was "suspenders" - apparently he was tryin to make one of his infamous financial transactions with one of the Nurses....
Old 23 Apr 2002, 15:00 (Ref:268498)   #9
petrobras_babe
Rookie

lol seriously though someone told me he might get SUSPENDED?!?!

Last edited by petrobras_babe; 23 Apr 2002 at 15:01.
Old 23 Apr 2002, 15:20 (Ref:268514)   #10
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by petrobras_babe
lol seriously though someone told me he might get SUSPENDED?!?!

http://www.indystar.com/article.php?irl23.html
Old 23 Apr 2002, 15:23 (Ref:268516)   #11
petrobras_babe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Austin

http://www.indystar.com/article.php?irl23.html
Old 23 Apr 2002, 15:54 (Ref:268531)   #12
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moreno, Papis or Beechler eh? What happened to Eddie's brother Ross, he had a run in the car last year - go on Eddie you know it makes sense. Ross was great when he raced over here, a real unfulfilled talent.
Old 23 Apr 2002, 18:46 (Ref:268693)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Love to see Moreno get "one last hurrah" at the 500. And Papis is a proven winner on superspeedways. Well, okay, he ran out of fuel at MIS on the last lap and handed it to Kanaan, but...

But I must admit, I really didn't think that Tomas was that much in the wrong when he hit Lazier. I am surprised about all this talk about a suspension. His rev-limiter excuse makes sense to me.
Old 23 Apr 2002, 19:06 (Ref:268727)   #14
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ross Cheever fell out with Eddie when Eddie insisted on a contract. Ross walked away.
Old 23 Apr 2002, 19:54 (Ref:268767)   #15
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by JR Ewing
Ross Cheever fell out with Eddie when Eddie insisted on a contract. Ross walked away.
Really? where did you hear that one? surely not - they are brothers after all....
Old 23 Apr 2002, 20:11 (Ref:268795)   #16
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Cheever brothers incident happened about 3 years ago at Indy, Ross was sitting in the car waiting to qualify and Eddie handed him a contract to sign.

Ross said "We're brothers, we don't need a contract", and Eddie replied, "Yes we do, this is business", Ross replied "Well, F*** you then, find another mug" got out and walked away.

Dr Austin, on the subject of HANS, it has been mandatory for the last 4 years in the IRL, it's CART that have mandated it for all races this year, in fact, the IRL have even mandated it in ALL testing this year as well.

I wonder if Finance Man did his lung in with his elbow?
(seriously, I mean when he hit the wall maybe he jabbed himself)

Last edited by Ian-S; 23 Apr 2002 at 20:15.
Old 24 Apr 2002, 22:28 (Ref:269878)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The HANS does look uncomfortable though, Tony Stewart has complained about it, and anyone who's ever had to wear a neck brace can probably back me up.
Old 25 Apr 2002, 02:32 (Ref:269991)   #18
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ian-S

"Dr Austin, on the subject of HANS, it has been mandatory for the last 4 years in the IRL,"

I do not believe this is correct. If you have a link, please provide it. NASCAR claimed they were the first to mandate the device on all circuits. We all know most of the current HANS development was carried out by Mercedes in CART, but i don't believe the IRL has done a study.

Actually, SevenGrain probably has this information. How about it Seven?

]
Old 25 Apr 2002, 02:53 (Ref:269998)   #19
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think the HANS made it to competition in 1999 ?

I know a few drivers tested it then , HANS hasn't been mandatory for 4 years in the IRL !

its only mandatory this year in CART
Old 25 Apr 2002, 04:30 (Ref:270011)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tomas has certainly been extremely competitive for such a young rookie, but he'd better make sure he finishes some races.

He's got a bright future, but I'm sure Eddie wouldn't like the expense bill at the moment.
Old 28 Apr 2002, 18:03 (Ref:272633)   #21
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
getting my years muddled, mandatory for 2001 in all races, and 2002 in all "IRL track activity".
Old 29 Apr 2002, 15:34 (Ref:273389)   #22
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian-S
on the subject of HANS, it has been mandatory for the last 4 years in the IRL, it's CART that have mandated it for all races this year, in fact, the IRL have even mandated it in ALL testing this year as well.
Ian,

Somebody has given you a bad case of misinformation. The IRL has NOT mandated the use of the HANS Device for it's competitors. I know this because I had a long conversation about this with Buddy Lazier (who chooses not to use HANS) last May.

Just to make sure, I contacted Kim Miller in the IRL's front office and she confirmed this for me.

CART has mandated to HANS device for all oval track events and testing in 2001, and for all events and testing in 2002. NASCAR has also mandated it's use for all curcuits, but the IRL has yet to get on the bandwagon.
Old 29 Apr 2002, 16:12 (Ref:273405)   #23
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SevenGrain

"I know this because I had a long conversation about this with Buddy Lazier"

Isn't he the coolest guy you have ever met? I was absolutely stunned that he is so completely unaffected by his considerable success. I mean, the guy has won the Indianapolis 500. Plenty of the guys who have won it get all full of themselves, but Buddy just wants to win it again. Buddy is the one person on earth who personifies
the term "one of the guys."

And it is difficult to think of the word "guts" without also thinking of Buddy. No one had ever won the 500 with a broken back until Buddy did it. It is hard to imagine the kind of guts that took. I don't think anyone is racing has ever been tougher, but Lauda does come to mind.

"(who chooses not to use HANS) last May."

Anyone who watches Sam schmidt every weekend should know better than to not use a HANS. Maybe it wouldn't have helped Sam, but I sure wouldn't want to risk that if there was a chance a HANS would help prevent it.

"CART has mandated to HANS device...., but the IRL has yet to get on the bandwagon."

I remain critical of the IRL for refusing to mandate HANS. Plenty of IRL drivers currently use them so there is no excuse. No one can say the cockpit dimensions won't allow it. No one can say they can't get one. The time for excuses is long past over with. It is time for HANS. Now. HANS now!

Last edited by Dr. Austin; 29 Apr 2002 at 16:15.
Old 29 Apr 2002, 17:01 (Ref:273430)   #24
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, there is no reason not to use the HANS device. Sacrifice life or injury for comfort? insane...

The HANS is now made in many sizes and styles. There is even a child's version made for young karters.

Sarah Fisher showed me her HANS Device at Nazareth last weekend. She has a lightweight version that is more suited for her smaller frame. She told me that in a race, she doesn't even know that she has in on.

The HANS device only costs about $1275.00 and it has saved lives. Ask Mauricio Gugelmin.

The drivers shouldn't have to be told to wear one. They should be smart enough to do this on their own.
Old 29 Apr 2002, 17:28 (Ref:273454)   #25
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SevenGrain

"The drivers shouldn't have to be told to wear one. They should be smart enough to do this on their own."

Well, they should be smart enough, but they traditionally haven't been.

Remember the hassle it took to get them to wear fire suits, even after the benifit was proven? To this day, you will still see some NASCAR drivers not wearing fireproof underwear.

And NASCAR drivers are just in the last couple of years starting to wear full face helmets, a safety feature available as early as 1968. We don't know for sure if one would have saved Dale, but it would have certainly been better than hitting his bare chin on the steering wheel.

Swede Savage refused to wear fireproof shoes, preferring to use tennis shoes. It is believed that when he refused to have his burned feet amputated, complications from that caused his demise. And recently retired Dave marcis never wore anything but red wing leather work shoes.

And gloves? Denny Hulme severely burned his hands when he chose flamable leather over readily available nomex gloves.

It can't be up to the drivers anymore. Safety is too important to throw away just because a driver doesn't like the way a HANS feels. The competitive disadvantage is the same for everyone. I remember in the NHL, they grandfathered in the helmet law and allowed veterans to not use them because they claimed they had played their whole life like that and it was too big of a disadvantage compared to guys who grew up wearing them. Then there was only one guy in the league left not wearing a helmet, and I don't remember his name. But I did see the game where he was the only guy skating around with his noggin exposed. And, of course, he got his skull whacked. Dumbass. Thankfully he wasn't hurt too bad, but a helmet would have prevented it.

Make the damm thing work. Do like cheever and put in some extra padding. After he did that, he liked the way it more evenly spread out sholder belt pressure. He says he is now more comfortable with it than without. I am sure some of that is from peace of mind.

But, as to my original premise, yes, they should be smart enough to take responsibility for their own safety, but historically, they haven't been.