Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 May 2002, 05:39 (Ref:294374)   #1
PoweredByHonda
Racer

PoweredByHonda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV-" Step up there, take your trophy, and be a man."

The Thursday press conference at Monte Carlo Jacques Villeneuve commented on his amazing drive in Austria. He also gave TGF a piece of his mind regarding the farce that was Austria.

"Q: Jacques, I don't know what happened between qualifying and practice and the race in Austria, but either you were transformed or the car was transformed or both...

JV: For the last few years we've always concentrated on a race set-up and in Austria, as in past years, there were ten cars within half a second so the position on the grid made a bigger difference. Then we had a different strategy than most people on the track which allowed me to drive aggressively and I just had to go for it and have a little bit of fun. The problem nowadays is when you do that you end up getting penalties anyway, so there's not much point doing it. It was fun, it was exciting, that's why I started racing years ago, to have fun like that on the track and to play, and that's how it was last race.

Q: And yet sadly the team still doesn't have any points, Olivier has yet to finish; what's still missing?

JV: Well, we're close to where we were in '99, which is not very good. The car's not very reliable and on top of that we're not very competitive, so it's not looking very good for us. But we're working hard and we just need to get points to get a good weekend.

Q: What about these next two races, here and Canada, your home race?

JV: We did have a good race here last year. Our car seems to be better off on the slow corners than on the high speed ones compared to the past, so it should work well in Monaco, I'm looking forward to it.

Q: And they've moved wall away from the final corner (in Canada) apparently.

JV: I've hit it enough times anyway, so I'll stay far away from that one.

Q: For Jacques, last year you finished fourth and it was your best result. Do you feel that you have conquered the track?

JV: I have never had a problem with the track. The one year when we weren't quick here we started on slicks in the wet, so I don't think that was a problem with the track. But the last few years we have had good results starting quite back on the grid. It is a very different race to other ones because to overtake here you have to take chances that probably mean you are both going to end up in the guard-rail. So the key is not to get frustrated, to be there at the end and to be fast all the time. In most years that is what we did and we ended up at the front.

Q: Jacques. Have you ever had team orders in your career?

JV: No, actually, never. But it depends what contract you sign. You might sign a contract where you don't have to follow team orders and even if there are some then you don't need to follow them. If you can get into a great team that Rubens did, then you accept different conditions. Of course it is very sad for everybody when you watch a race and see the result of the last race mainly because it is so early in the season and there is no fair fight basically. Even if it was Rubens' race at the end of the day it is Michael that won and that is what goes down in the book and that is what people remember, what is written in the book and that is all that matters.

People shouldn't have been surprised. Everybody knew a situation like that would happen. I think it would have been wiser for the team to have said before the start of the season that that is what is going to happen. That way nobody would have got that angry, instead of acting as if it was a big surprise for everybody even within the team. That is a little bit difficult to then listen to comments saying it happened two laps from the end and I was very surprised when I was told that when it has been clear for a few years. So I don't really have a problem with team orders on the race track. The only thing that I felt was unacceptable was the podium situation. If you win a race, even if it is in a way that you didn't like, be a man and step on the top step and take your trophy. Even if you are embarrassed because everybody is booing at you, step up there. You accepted taking the win, you didn't slow down, you felt good about it, you raised your hand on the last lap until you heard people booing at you. Step up there, take your trophy, and be a man.

Q: Jacques and Juan Pablo. Would you have followed team orders as Michael did in that situation, and also do you think that if Michael wins the championship will this tarnish his reputation?

JV: You would be stupid not to take anything you are given, so if you are given a win then you might as well take it but then stick with it, don't fake embarrassment and wrongness and feeling bad about it and stuff like that, that's all.

Q: And do you think it has tarnished his image?

JV: Not the win, but everything that happened afterwards, yep." - Source www.jacques.villeneuve.com

So anyways, only Jacques Villeneuve, the last of the true racers left in F1 had guts enough to say exactly what was on his mind. Somehow I think if they asked a different driver the same questions, there's no way they would have openly criticized TGF like that.. Bravo JV, somehow I think his appearence on the thursday press conference wasn't just a coincedance by the FIA.

By the way, Does anyone know where i could get recordings of the press conferences? Video, or audio? thanks.
Old 24 May 2002, 07:26 (Ref:294412)   #2
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that Villeneuve agrees with what happened 'during the race', going against what most people were complaining about. His only problem was with the podium celebration.
Old 24 May 2002, 09:11 (Ref:294515)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with JV all the way here - the team orders are not forbidden (although so early in the season and with such a huge technical advantage there was absolutely no need IMO) but if Ferrari want to do things like that they shoud take it on the chin and swap trophies in private.
Old 24 May 2002, 09:26 (Ref:294524)   #4
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You really have to be in TGF's shoes to really understand why he did that.
Old 24 May 2002, 09:36 (Ref:294533)   #5
Fluffster
Rookie

Fluffster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
You really have to be in TGF's shoes to really understand why he did that.
I doubt the bugger will let go of them easily, but I wouldn't fit in them anyway. I think he uses size 40.6(european) or something like that(ca. 6.5 UK, 7.5 US).
Old 24 May 2002, 09:43 (Ref:294541)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jukebox

Indeed, for all we know the podium debacle was Schumacher's way of making the team look silly. Not very well thought out though!
Old 24 May 2002, 09:51 (Ref:294552)   #7
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good one JV!!!
Old 24 May 2002, 09:52 (Ref:294553)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JV speaking his mind, and the truth, like usual
Old 24 May 2002, 10:48 (Ref:294629)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques is gambling that no one will give him a race ban for speaking the truth this time -- not when he's the only one who is! He does have a good point. If TGF thought he was right to steal Rubens' race and pretend he won it, then why did he crumble as soon as he saw nobody else believed him? Or perhaps he thought Ferrari would stand in front of him and tell everybody to leave him alone.

Jacques is saying what I said. TGF is a coward.
Old 24 May 2002, 11:05 (Ref:294662)   #10
Fuel
Rookie

Fuel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, it is all well and that everyone is booing ferrari now, but where will you all be when michael wins the drivers championship in 2002, i'll bet joining in the celebrations.
Old 24 May 2002, 11:27 (Ref:294712)   #11
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not me baby, not me. The patronising podium behaviour was a rediculous debacle from someone who believes the normal rules do not apply. Fame itself will be the downfall of Schumacher M. And his belief in the public persona he has developed. Not much use when credibility flies out the window.
Old 24 May 2002, 11:27 (Ref:294714)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be watching the American Le Mans/Champ Car race in Miami so chances are if I hear about the rigged racing finale it'll be a matter of no interest to me.
Old 24 May 2002, 11:32 (Ref:294722)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Damn, Moffat, I hate it when I agree with you-it makes me question my sanity.

But as far as I am concerned, TGF is a brilliantly talented driver whose accomplishments will always be questionable.

I think I have reconciled myself to the fact that Team orders are fact of F1, and have been for many years. My objection remains the very clumsy way they were administered.
Old 24 May 2002, 11:56 (Ref:294751)   #14
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO

But as far as I am concerned, TGF is a brilliantly talented driver whose accomplishments will always be questionable.

That's it in a nutshell. How history will see the accomplishments of this guy. The thing is, he is not convinced he is worthy enough himself, hence the snearing, hence the smugness and hence we witness the behaviour of someone who is insecure in the light of their success.
Old 24 May 2002, 16:11 (Ref:295129)   #15
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: JV-" Step up there, take your trophy, and be a man."

Quote:
Originally posted by PoweredByHonda

By the way, Does anyone know where i could get recordings of the press conferences? Video, or audio? thanks.
PBH, try www.f1press.com

I also agree that MS' accomplishments are tainted. This latest episode is just further proof. As usual, only someone like Jacques has the kohones to say what everyone else thinks.
Old 24 May 2002, 17:01 (Ref:295166)   #16
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques is the man on and off. And yes, he's the only one with cojones in F1 it seems
Old 24 May 2002, 17:11 (Ref:295178)   #17
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I preferred JPM's comment:

"I was a bit surprised, because it was not the first time that it had happened,’ ‘I've got to say I was a bit surprised, but I did enjoy that. It was a good laugh to be there!’

I am liking this guy more and more with each passing race. Yup, I am ready to admit it - I was wrong to think him just another CART guy.
Old 24 May 2002, 19:41 (Ref:295291)   #18
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! That is exactly what I was saying in my post about the whole mess. There are so many teams that want just one win for the year. Hell, so many teams that just want a podium. MS and his team made the race and the accomplishments seem trivial. Its as though they were thinking, "its just another race won". They should have respected the race, the venue and the fans. To me it looked like MS was giving away what every other driver on the track could only wish they had. He did it in a casual and irreverent manner.
Old 24 May 2002, 20:19 (Ref:295322)   #19
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
To me it looked like MS was giving away what every other driver on the track could only wish they had. He did it in a casual and irreverent manner.

And to listen to him tell it in the post race conference, where he said that Rubens drove so well, he aimed to make sure that Rubens won races this year, it certainly sounded that way. How magnanimous of him! The best part was, he was serious! There's a man who knows what he's got, and isn't afraid to abuse it!