Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 25 Dec 2011, 11:15 (Ref:3004122)   #1326
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Robert Doornbos to ELMS?
Old 25 Dec 2011, 11:49 (Ref:3004131)   #1327
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Hmmm, he changed his mind very quickly. A couple of weeks ago he said he would quit racing if he couldn't race in F1 or Indycars.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 12:42 (Ref:3004267)   #1328
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Karun Chandhok considering a move to sportscars here. If so it could start some serious interest from India in the WEC too. Presumably the Buddh circuit would be under consideration for future schedules.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 13:33 (Ref:3004273)   #1329
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's good to hear. Seeing as F1 seems to be overflowed right now with young drivers that are struggling to find seats, maybe WEC and GTWC can present a good alternative for them.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 15:17 (Ref:3004287)   #1330
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Karun would do good in sportscars and I like his humble approach to it.

Also, like Rosputnik said, it's nice to see that there seems to be a big intrest in WEC among drivers.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 15:35 (Ref:3004288)   #1331
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well done to Karun for retaining his F1 Third Driver role but at the same time consider going into the WEC, I like to see that he wants to race not just do First Practice for Caterham F1 (Team Lotus).

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 26 Dec 2011, 17:11 (Ref:3004308)   #1332
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would be great to have Karun in the WEC!
Old 26 Dec 2011, 17:27 (Ref:3004312)   #1333
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Good to hear that other F1 drivers are seeing that a good motorsport career can be had outside Bernie's paddock.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 17:39 (Ref:3004315)   #1334
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Every driver thinks they only need one big F1 opportunity to prove to the world they're a World Champion in waiting.

Trouble is ex-F1 drivers are ten a penny these days, how many from Kristensens era are long forgotten, yet still have lots of driving in them. F1 is the pinnacle for a driver, but only if you make your mark, if you're an also ran you're far better forging a career in sports/touring cars, being well paid by a manufactuer, and becoming a major part in the history of the sport like Bell, Stuck, Wolleck, Mass, McNsh, Kristensen, Schneider etc, even drivers who had a decent F1 career enhanced their reputation greatly with success elsewhere, i,e Brundle.

Last edited by JAG; 26 Dec 2011 at 17:46.
Old 27 Dec 2011, 15:43 (Ref:3004540)   #1335
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Karun's a nice chap, but he has never shown any real speed in his career. He had no chance in the HRT in F1, but his GP2 career is less than stellar. Being able to bring interest from India is about the only card he holds, along with being popular for his 5live commentaries and general amiable character.
Old 27 Dec 2011, 16:14 (Ref:3004544)   #1336
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
I wouldn't write him off just like that. Lots of drivers who didn't do anything in F1 turned out to be great sports car racers.

Just look at Ant Davidson. He never really made it further than being a backmarker in F1 and he's an absolute star in LMP1 right now.
Old 27 Dec 2011, 16:27 (Ref:3004548)   #1337
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
In many circles , F1 is considered to be the pinnacle of motorsports , stands to reason that any driver who gets a chance , nomatter how small in F1 , isnt a bad driver . Ok , some have been horrors , but in general , their bloody good .
Old 27 Dec 2011, 16:45 (Ref:3004555)   #1338
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I wouldn't write him off just like that. Lots of drivers who didn't do anything in F1 turned out to be great sports car racers.

Just look at Ant Davidson. He never really made it further than being a backmarker in F1 and he's an absolute star in LMP1 right now.
Yeah, but Ant had the pace without the machinery when he raced in F1. The only competitive F1 cars he ever drove were from the position of test/Friday driver. However, now that he's jumped at the Peugeot opportunity and grasped it so well, I don't think he's looking back.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 01:32 (Ref:3004692)   #1339
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Really off topic but relevant to the current subject, I really hope Schumi returns to sportscars after his F1 career is over or maybe drive an SLS GT3, that would be great!
Old 28 Dec 2011, 02:17 (Ref:3004696)   #1340
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
If so it could start some serious interest from India in the WEC too. Presumably the Buddh circuit would be under consideration for future schedules.
Narain Karthikeyan did some LMS races for Kolles in the R10. It's not like Indians in modern LMP1s is unprecedented, but Narain's run (or lack there of) at Le Mans was hardly noteworthy! Anyway, I don't know if any of Narain's legions of Indian fans cared about his Kolles voyage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
In many circles , F1 is considered to be the pinnacle of motorsports , stands to reason that any driver who gets a chance , nomatter how small in F1 , isnt a bad driver . Ok , some have been horrors , but in general , their bloody good .
It just depends on the driver. Some F1 drivers are essentially gentleman hack drivers. Some are ride buyers who actually have talent. It just depends. I don't know anything about Chandhok, but he could probably do a good job for a privateer team as long as he does not hit anything.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:21 (Ref:3004762)   #1341
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My memory might be off but didn't Chandhok do at least as good as Bruno Senna and the others at HRT last year? FWIW..
Old 28 Dec 2011, 11:01 (Ref:3004776)   #1342
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post

You could probably say the same thing about Sebastien Bourdais and Franck Montagny, hell even McNish's stint in F1 wasn't anything to write home about.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 11:04 (Ref:3004777)   #1343
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
You could probably say the same thing about Sebastien Bourdais and Franck Montagny, hell even McNish's stint in F1 wasn't anything to write home about.
Not to mention Jan Magnussen and Tom Kristensen...
Old 28 Dec 2011, 11:11 (Ref:3004779)   #1344
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think Tom had any real kind of 'stint' in F1, did he?
Old 28 Dec 2011, 11:14 (Ref:3004780)   #1345
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You could continue this list all day. The truth is that most top-line sportscar drivers are (in the nicest possible way) failed F1 drivers. And we know there are some very good failed F1 drivers.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 11:18 (Ref:3004781)   #1346
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
He only got as far as testing for Michelin and for Williams at the start of the BMW contract.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 12:43 (Ref:3004796)   #1347
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
He only got as far as testing for Michelin and for Williams at the start of the BMW contract.
He never started a F1 race, but did a long testing job for Michelin.
He was supposed to race a Minardi, but the lack of money (or another driver with even more) costed him the seat.

I mentioned Jan M and Tom K because they are, for me, the true reason why many never shine in F1.
The lack of money and connections to the top teams eliminates them and never give them the opportunity to get a competitive team and get a car designed for them. (something which has proven it's self very important in reason years).

But this is going of topic.
My point is simply that we can never measure Sportcar drivers performance on how well (or far) they got in F1!
Old 28 Dec 2011, 13:57 (Ref:3004808)   #1348
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Great bit of news courtesy of Hindy who just tweeted:

Quote:
Third 03a Honda Racing P1 for Wec and Le Mans with "a surprise GT team" more to come on this after Jan 1st
Old 28 Dec 2011, 14:05 (Ref:3004811)   #1349
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
You could continue this list all day. The truth is that most top-line sportscar drivers are (in the nicest possible way) failed F1 drivers. And we know there are some very good failed F1 drivers.
In the nicest possible way , I think thats a terrible label to paste on any driver . Bet you never met a race driver and said that to him ..... I could imagine the retort .....
Old 28 Dec 2011, 14:07 (Ref:3004812)   #1350
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Great bit of news courtesy of Hindy who just tweeted:
3rd ...... meaning Strakka , Picket and a GT team stepping up to P1 ..... wow , wonder who that could be ?

JMW anyone ?