Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Dec 2007, 21:59 (Ref:2083193)   #1726
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't he have 3 Carinas in total?
Old 7 Dec 2007, 07:07 (Ref:2083380)   #1727
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crash, I was talking to him today, he still has 2 of them.
Old 7 Dec 2007, 12:19 (Ref:2083566)   #1728
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Would these 2/3 Carina's be ex Toyota GB Supertourers?
Old 7 Dec 2007, 13:24 (Ref:2083612)   #1729
DRG
Rookie

Australia
Sydney, Australia
DRG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
G'day All,

I've been a regular "reader" of this forum for some time now and am often intrigued by some of the interesting threads. This "where are they now" thread is without doubt the one which I find most interesting and decided after reading ( and LMAO at)GTR's comments re Malcolm Rea's Carina's it was finally time to contribute. One of the most comical posts I've read for some time.

I have particular interest in the old Group C cars and was wondering whether anyone knows of the whereabouts of Steve Masterton's old XE Falcon which was so dominant at Amaroo in 1984's Amascar Series ?
Old 7 Dec 2007, 15:07 (Ref:2083678)   #1730
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What ever happened to the Corolla (mid-90s shape) Malcolm Rea built to run in Super Touring in 1997, all the running gear was from one of his Carina's. I recall an article in AA about it around the time, complete with pic & all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG
I have particular interest in the old Group C cars and was wondering whether anyone knows of the whereabouts of Steve Masterton's old XE Falcon which was so dominant at Amaroo in 1984's Amascar Series ?
They ran a story on it a while back in AMC, in the "MIA Muscle" section. The car is still around in Group C trim (unraced since 1984 from memory), can't remember off the top of my head who owns it, perhaps a former Masterton Homes associate?
Old 7 Dec 2007, 21:36 (Ref:2083952)   #1731
pete55
Veteran

The Corolla came up in conversation yesterday but i didn't have time to talk to him for long. He also told me he has just had the Supra he built there for work to be done on it. This is the car Peter Williamson raced after he wrote his orange one off at Bathurst. I think he said that someone in Toowoomba now owns it. The Carinas are for sale by the way but as for where they come from i did not get to ask him.
Old 8 Dec 2007, 03:46 (Ref:2084095)   #1732
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
This is the car Peter Williamson raced after he wrote his orange one off at Bathurst. I think he said that someone in Toowoomba now owns it.
It would be the car from this thread i presume. The owner is a member here on Ten-Tenths

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99711
Old 8 Dec 2007, 10:31 (Ref:2084224)   #1733
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Carinas are for sale by the way but as for where they come from i did not get to ask him.
And should be worth a pretty penny these days, I've got a really shiny one, can I get both cars and the spares package for it?
Old 8 Dec 2007, 18:17 (Ref:2084450)   #1734
pete55
Veteran

If you are interested David i can ask.
Old 9 Dec 2007, 07:17 (Ref:2084702)   #1735
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not, I'm always curious how much some cars are worth these days.
pete55, a post at 17 minutes past 5 on Sunday morning, I'm impressed. I was still cuddled up to the handbrake (wife) at that time.

Last edited by David Towe; 9 Dec 2007 at 07:23.
Old 9 Dec 2007, 07:59 (Ref:2084710)   #1736
pete55
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
Why not, I'm always curious how much some cars are worth these days.
pete55, a post at 17 minutes past 5 on Sunday morning, I'm impressed. I was still cuddled up to the handbrake (wife) at that time.
Had a party last night here. Was just about to go to bed. You would think i would know better at my age.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 07:10 (Ref:2085278)   #1737
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The Corolla came up in conversation yesterday but i didn't have time to talk to him for long. He also told me he has just had the Supra he built there for work to be done on it. This is the car Peter Williamson raced after he wrote his orange one off at Bathurst. I think he said that someone in Toowoomba now owns it. The Carinas are for sale by the way but as for where they come from i did not get to ask him.
Mal Rea doesn't own the Corolla, i was talking to the owner on Saturday night at the QRDA christmas party/trophy night. The car will be having it's first test session later this month. It's been a long time coming. They started with a brand new current model body shell from Toyota, it's now been supeceded a couple of times and hasn't a seen a track yet.

As someone above said, the ex-Williamson Supra now lives in Toowoomba and is owned by a 10/10 member, it was built by Tom's GB, not Mal Rea.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 08:08 (Ref:2085297)   #1738
pete55
Veteran

Well Malcolm said to me that the Supra 'he built' was sold to Peter Williamson to run after the orange one was written off. As i was concentrating on other things at same time i may have misheard some of what he said but he did say that he had the car he mentioned in his workshop recently for work to be done on it.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 11:29 (Ref:2085443)   #1739
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well Malcolm said to me that the Supra 'he built' was sold to Peter Williamson to run after the orange one was written off. As i was concentrating on other things at same time i may have misheard some of what he said but he did say that he had the car he mentioned in his workshop recently for work to be done on it.
I won't argue with you Pete, because i'm not certain that i'm right. I'll do some research and get back to y'all.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 08:02 (Ref:2087043)   #1740
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
ART Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supra

The Supra is a bit of a mixture of both. Malcolm built a bodyshell for a Group A Supra in 1986 which he intended to finish and run at Bathurst 86 if he could get a start but he was not given an entry, so he never finished it. When Peter crashed the car at Bathurst 86 in practice, he tried to sell the remains and his spares to Malcolm, but he couldn't afford them. To assist with the rebuild of the Supra, Peter Williamson bought Malcolm's body, and this formed the basis of the rebuilt car. How much of Malcolm's car was used is a matter of conjecture: certainly not the cage, roof, front or rear. Malcolm says the body is mostly his, Peter Williamson's panelbeater said the car Malcolm built was so bad that they used the floorpan and firewall and rebuilt the rest; I wasn't there so I don't argue the point, and there is so much repaired damage on the car that I wouldn't know where to start. The mechanicals (where possible), most of the interior, pedal box, tanks etc etc all came from the crashed car, in fact lots of the parts still had orange overspray on them and still do as I didn't clean it off deliberately. Car is accepted by CAMS as being the one car from the 1983 TTGB car brought out to Australia in 84 to the car last raced in New Zealand in 1989, as it was raced on one logbook with a reshell noted in 1986. Car is back in its 1986 colours as that is the way I remember it, although Peter Williamson says he thinks it looked better white.

Both of Malcolm's Carinas are ex TOMS cars from memory, I think the newer one was the last TOMS car built (No 17?).

John
Old 12 Dec 2007, 08:08 (Ref:2087047)   #1741
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ART Racing
The Supra is a bit of a mixture of both. Malcolm built a bodyshell for a Group A Supra in 1986 which he intended to finish and run at Bathurst 86 if he could get a start but he was not given an entry, so he never finished it. When Peter crashed the car at Bathurst 86 in practice, he tried to sell the remains and his spares to Malcolm, but he couldn't afford them. To assist with the rebuild of the Supra, Peter Williamson bought Malcolm's body, and this formed the basis of the rebuilt car. How much of Malcolm's car was used is a matter of conjecture: certainly not the cage, roof, front or rear. Malcolm says the body is mostly his, Peter Williamson's panelbeater said the car Malcolm built was so bad that they used the floorpan and firewall and rebuilt the rest; I wasn't there so I don't argue the point, and there is so much repaired damage on the car that I wouldn't know where to start. The mechanicals (where possible), most of the interior, pedal box, tanks etc etc all came from the crashed car, in fact lots of the parts still had orange overspray on them and still do as I didn't clean it off deliberately. Car is accepted by CAMS as being the one car from the 1983 TTGB car brought out to Australia in 84 to the car last raced in New Zealand in 1989, as it was raced on one logbook with a reshell noted in 1986. Car is back in its 1986 colours as that is the way I remember it, although Peter Williamson says he thinks it looked better white.

Both of Malcolm's Carinas are ex TOMS cars from memory, I think the newer one was the last TOMS car built (No 17?).

John
Did Williamson run the car after 1986 or was it sold to NZ?
Old 12 Dec 2007, 08:10 (Ref:2087052)   #1742
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz
Did Williamson run the car after 1986 or was it sold to NZ?
Tried to qualify it at Bathurst in 1987... while "Willo" was successful, his codriver pair werent... engine power the big issue. Did Mr Rea do any engine work for this car?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 12 Dec 2007, 09:04 (Ref:2087071)   #1743
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great info ther ART Racing, can't wait to see it out on the track again - loved that car when I was a kid! Also remember when it rolled at Oran Pk at later collected by Mike Quinn in Corolla - who was related (by marriage)!!!

BTW, we have a fair idea where most of the corolla/sprinter/levin hatchback & liftbacks are - anyone know what happened to the coupes that ran '85-'87?
Old 12 Dec 2007, 10:54 (Ref:2087120)   #1744
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Tried to qualify it at Bathurst in 1987... while "Willo" was successful, his codriver pair werent... engine power the big issue. Did Mr Rea do any engine work for this car?
He also ran it at Amaroo & the Oran Park ATCC round in 1987, i'd have to check but maybe the Sandown 500 as well.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 10:59 (Ref:2087123)   #1745
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan
BTW, we have a fair idea where most of the corolla/sprinter/levin hatchback & liftbacks are - anyone know what happened to the coupes that ran '85-'87?
I think there were only two coupes, one is now in the Bathurst museum and i heard that the other was destroyed in a road accident.

One of the Bob Holden Sprinters is in my shed, well it was an hour ago when i was out there working. The other one is being restored by TerryO. The first TTA Sprinter is being restored by a bloke down south whom i've conversed with by email. I don't know where any of the others are, but i'd sure like to.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 13:40 (Ref:2087214)   #1746
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
ART Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supra

Quote:
No, the only part of the car that Malcolm had anything to do with was the body, all the mechanicals were the original ones or Willo's spares. After the late 86 rebuild the car ran twice at Amaroo, then at Adelaide and Oran Park before Willo took it to Bathurst which was the last time he drove it, John Sax then took it to NZ for Nico Seling. Willo lost the Toyota dealership during the year which can't have been good for his racing, but he does say that the 87 configuration of the car was definately the fastest, despite the 87 Bathurst engine problems.

Engines were built by various people - the original engine was built by Arden Conversions in the UK, then once out here some were built in house by Willo's staff, Bo Seton did a couple and Roy Goodman built the last ones. The engine in the car when I bought it was an original race motor from here; I don't know what happened to the other 2 race engines it went to NZ with but am still looking... Race parts for 5MGEs aren't exactly easy to come by. Car will be out racing next year, just doing some final electrical work on it. Hope it brings us more luck than it has for any of its previous owners!

John
Old 13 Dec 2007, 21:23 (Ref:2088222)   #1747
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brock Group C in Darwin?

Can anyone help?

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/200...44_ntnews.html
Old 13 Dec 2007, 22:38 (Ref:2088265)   #1748
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz
Is there anyone still around from the HDT days who would have the records for these things? I presume the logbook doesnt put you in the picture?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 Dec 2007, 03:01 (Ref:2089277)   #1749
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brock NT

Quote:
Is there anyone still around from the HDT days who would have the records for these things? I presume the logbook doesnt put you in the picture?
Brocks Brother Phil races up there and runs an Auto electrician business in town?? .
Old 18 Dec 2007, 20:30 (Ref:2091502)   #1750
adz_34
Racer

Australia
Somewhere out there
adz_34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heres a curly one. I was looking at the James Hardie 1000 book from 1981 and saw a little Mitsibishi Colt that raced in the 4 cylinder class that year. I dont know what history the car has prior or after that year.

Any ideas? Where is this car today?