herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna Movie

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/0...s-this-autumn/

I can't wait...
Old 15 Jul 2010, 13:14 (Ref:2727109)   #2
stark
Rookie

stark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news on a release date? I've been scouring the interweb but had no luck further than 'Autumn'...
Old 15 Jul 2010, 13:21 (Ref:2727112)   #3
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I'd certainly be interested in seeing it. A film about the lives of Gilles and Jacques Villeneuve was mooted a few years back, but nothing seems to have come of it.

Old 6 Jun 2011, 00:53 (Ref:2891844)   #4
GerardWon
Rookie

GerardWon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I'd certainly be interested in seeing it. A film about the lives of Gilles and Jacques Villeneuve was mooted a few years back, but nothing seems to have come of it.

Ah Gilles here's one of my fav YT vids http://youtu.be/nAn_omLUO0Y

Can't wait till The Senna movie hits NY.

Sadly my copy of "Aryton Senna: The Hard Edge of Genius" was lost when we moved a while back -- in the mood to re-read that book.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 02:51 (Ref:2891869)   #5
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really looking forward to it, but no word of a release in NZ?

I enjoyed the official tribute 2disk dvd set which came out years ago, this film on the bigscreen will be good.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 07:15 (Ref:2891911)   #6
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does this movie contain much we haven't already seen?
Old 6 Jun 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2892072)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Does this movie contain much we haven't already seen?
There is some footage (specially family stuff) that only brazilians saw it, but most of it is already known.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 05:11 (Ref:2894033)   #8
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
GerardWon[/B];2891844]
Sadly my copy of "Aryton Senna: The Hard Edge of Genius" was lost when we moved a while back -- in the mood to re-read that book.
He signed the inside cover of mine at Hockenheim in 1990, needless to say it lives in a safe!

In regards to the film makers showing bias in the Senna/Prost scenario with the benefit of 2 decades worth of stories & opinions to dwell on, it's worth listening to James Hunt's comments only 2 weeks after Suzuka 1990. Until mid 1990, James was one of Senna's biggest critics & never missed an opportunity to reveal his weaknesses. However, by Estoril 1990 his comments had turned 180 degrees & certainly by Adelaide the conviction in his comments were resolute............about both Senna & Prost...........have a listen.

http://youtu.be/kjsNLEykKVA
Old 9 Jun 2011, 12:37 (Ref:2894259)   #9
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw the film Tuesday evening. I undertand a few of the comments about editing and some of the in car footage and gears being out of synch.
Some great unseen footage, Ron Dennis showing video of 1981 Austrian GP where Villeneuve and Jones drive through an escape road without penalty and Senna's reaction to the Ratzenberger crash.

I loved it and found Prost running to the stewards office laughable in 1989, and him talking to another odious human being walking in, Nigel Roebuck. I know, I'm hardly likely to be unbiased about Prost but alot of this film covered that period of F1 as it happened.
I'd forgotten about the 1989 accident between them, and even that year they had ignored Senna's request to put pole position on the left hand side.
Being a Ferrari fan all my life, I remember well, Suzuka 1990, and I wanted Senna to win, I couldn't stand Prost at all. Retribution...

Quite clever of the director/ producer to include an interview with Prost detailing how he'd finish 5th rather than race for 2nd, 3rd or 4th if it meant winning the Championship. Then later, with Senna's famous comment to J Stewart, about if you don't go for a gap, you're no longer a racing driver.

They show an alliance between Balestre and Prost, and people have said it shows Prost in poor light, yet Prost worked his political magic when he arrived at Ferrari, Mansell hated him him after their time together, yet had been friends previously.
Even Williams in 1993, Prost had Renault stating before the championship started how great it would be to have the French driver win. It was obvious that Hill didn't stand a chance.
One scene I thought very unfair because it painted Prost the human being as a very shallow person, was his interview with Selina Scott, where he's flirting and being suggestive, the producers kept in her reply about "does his wife drive"

Saddest part... his sister speaking about the evening before the Imola race, he'd turned to the bible and asked "God" a question. His reply, he was going to give him the greatest gift possible... chills ran down my spine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardWon View Post
Not sure if you're interested, I have this book in hardback and paperback, I was going to list the 1st edition on Ebay. Let me know.

Last edited by herowassenna; 9 Jun 2011 at 12:42.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2894554)   #10
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post

I loved it and found Prost running to the stewards office laughable in 1989, and him talking to another odious human being walking in, Nigel Roebuck. I
Why do you think that Nigel Roebuck is an 'odious human being'?
Old 15 Jul 2010, 13:58 (Ref:2727128)   #11
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if you've seen it but there's a 45 minute tribute made by Antti Kalhola that is absolutely brilliant. I got it 3 or so months ago, and I watch it regularly.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 19:40 (Ref:2727265)   #12
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
I don't know if you've seen it but there's a 45 minute tribute made by Antti Kalhola that is absolutely brilliant. I got it 3 or so months ago, and I watch it regularly.

Tribute to whom?
Old 15 Jul 2010, 19:46 (Ref:2727267)   #13
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Antti Kalhola's work is amazing, ''Gravel for Breakfast'' is one my all time favourite youtube clips.
Old 16 Jul 2010, 01:24 (Ref:2727372)   #14
Massa_number1
Racer

Massa_number1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i still rem my father telling me in the car on the way home from football when I was 12 years old that senna had died that day i hope the movie pays respect in kind to roland ratzenberger who did become a big part in the last few days of sennas life going by his supposed reaction to a fellow drivers death.

what ever happened to the antonio bandera's senna movie that was being given the green light by the senna foundation i personally think that would have been a good film if they used real race footage woven with scenes of banderas as senna
Old 16 Jul 2010, 23:59 (Ref:2727836)   #15
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massa_number1 View Post
what ever happened to the antonio bandera's senna movie that was being given the green light by the senna foundation i personally think that would have been a good film if they used real race footage woven with scenes of banderas as senna
I don't know how true it is but I heard that the film got canned as Antonio was just about to start work on Zoro, and the production company for the Senna movie basically said, "Do it now or don't do it at all" and Banderas stuck with Zoro. Like I said though that is what I heard (Years ago!!)
Old 17 Jul 2010, 00:40 (Ref:2727844)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll be delighted if the true side of Senna's life could be featured on the movie, his childhood and teenage days that crafted the man, his family environment and the unique brazilian ways that wielded his skills and temper... the secret senna's life off track that had done so much for others without the knowledge of the marjority, like that old saying, "Don't let your left hand know what the right one is doing". This is the Senna I'd like the world to know.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 17:02 (Ref:2728538)   #17
Massa_number1
Racer

Massa_number1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I'll be delighted if the true side of Senna's life could be featured on the movie, his childhood and teenage days that crafted the man, his family environment and the unique brazilian ways that wielded his skills and temper... the secret senna's life off track that had done so much for others without the knowledge of the marjority, like that old saying, "Don't let your left hand know what the right one is doing". This is the Senna I'd like the world to know.
great idea didnt really think of that myself .it would be great if a film was done about him growing up since we all know what he did in F1 and maybe a film just wouldnt come close to the real thing since it's a great story anyway.

But if done by the right person and its not a cheese fest like "driven" was then i would love to go and see it
Old 18 Jul 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2728763)   #18
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Ayrton Senna was actually quite a private person and protected much of his private life.
He was a grand Prix driver who loved flying model airplanes and helicopters and driving go karts....But the rest of his private life was just that, private.

Granted it was a slightly different era PR wise to day when Jenson and lewis wander through a shed full of old racing cars all still owned by the team....

Ayrton's privacy added to his mystique though.... Only his friends really knew very much about him as a person.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 23:18 (Ref:2728780)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Ayrton's privacy added to his mystique though.... Only his friends really knew very much about him as a person.
No, nope, no sir...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfDvmJu7Np8

Family, family is the key... check brazilian TV specials, there's a lot there, they know so well...
Old 19 Jul 2010, 03:58 (Ref:2728831)   #20
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No, nope, no sir...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfDvmJu7Np8

Family, family is the key... check brazilian TV specials, there's a lot there, they know so well...
I can accept that we have a heap of information from family and friends in Brazil, and that historically much has appeared since his death, but to the western media and motorsport press, the informationand picture we got tended to be a lot more one or two dimensional.

You tube and the web have changed the face or communications and privacy significantly since 1994...
Old 19 Jul 2010, 21:56 (Ref:2729349)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
...but to the western media and motorsport press, the informationand picture we got tended to be a lot more one or two dimensional.
I'm lost on that, Brazil is not part of the "western civilisation" ?

EDIT :

You don't have to answer...

Heck, I'm shocked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_world

A so called "latin country" colonized by europeans in its marjority, with less than 1% of natives, the greatest catholic country in the world, most european culturally influenced...

All that they taught me was wrong

There it is, the exotic brazilian civilisation !!!!

Last edited by Bononi; 19 Jul 2010 at 22:10.
Old 4 May 2011, 12:44 (Ref:2873988)   #22
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[Hides shame at making his 2nd ever post in the F1 section of 10/10ths]

I got to see the 'Senna' film last night at James Allen's Mechanics Trust charity showing.

It was really rather good, and well worth seeing for anyone with a passing interest in motor racing and/or Senna.

We were also treated to post film Senna based recollections from M. Brundle and Prof S Watkins as well as a Q&A from the producer and director.
Old 30 May 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2888310)   #23
Martin Bull
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Martin Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'll be at the 'Motor Sport' showing of the movie at the London Everyman week after next. The Senna movie has certainly had a lot of coverage in this months motor sporting press : I'm looking forward to seeing it....
Old 30 May 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2888388)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've seen it - well almost all of it - it is rather long! Unfortunately my viewing was sans subtitles so there's a lot of foreign language that went untranslated......

I was mesmerised.......
Old 31 May 2011, 00:50 (Ref:2888471)   #25
darcia2
Rookie

darcia2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On Sundays f1 coverage on ONE HD here in Aus they mentioned the that the release date will be August cant wait....