Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jan 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1202879)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Slip, sliding away at Barcelona

The BAR-Honda team did the initial shakedown runs of its new car at Barcelona on Sunday and then packed up the car and headed off unexpectedly to Valencia, reporting that the new surface at the Circuit de Catalunya offered no grip at all and was therefore useless for testing.

Takuma Sato explained that the surface has no grip at all.

"They've resurfaced it all and oil is coming up," he said. "Maybe they need to make the surface a bit rougher. Off line it is unbelievably slippery, which is very dangerous."

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns14101.html

It will be interesting to see other teams verdicts on the surface, as de-camping to Valencia may not be that representative as the track is not particularly suited to new car evaluation, throwing up some curious results.

You may remember that the ill fated 2004 McLaren did a lot of testing at Valencia where it proved to be fast, a performance they were unable to repeat anywhere else.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1202906)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's interesting, I was under the impression that a lot of teams use Valencia for testing. In any case, I'm sure the track will be fine by the time of the race.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 13:10 (Ref:1202956)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Valencia is commonly used for testing. However, it is a far tighter circuit if i'm not mistaken and hence, while it's a useful track for testing, it isn't as good as Barcelona..

Didn't some engineers claim that if you have a car fast for Barcelona, you have a fast car for most tracks on F1 calendar.

But i don't think the cancellation of Barcelona testing in the next week will hugely affect the programs of the teams. They'd be back once the problem settles.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1202972)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!

Valencia is more akin to circuits like Monaco and Hungary(not my favourite circuits)and as such is OK for their data but not much else,i hope Barcelona gets the problem sorted otherwise some teams will be wondering why they are so far behind.Hopefully it wasn't resurfaced by the local gypsies.

Last edited by Marbot; 17 Jan 2005 at 13:49.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1202984)   #5
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey - it was probably resurfaced with Ferrari backing! They will go and be happy at Fiorino and Mugello, whilst the other teams get knoocked off their programs at Valencia.

Makes about as much sense as some of the conspiracy theories!
Old 17 Jan 2005, 14:25 (Ref:1203004)   #6
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They may have discovered the secret in getting better racing at Barcelona - turn it into a skid pan.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 14:27 (Ref:1203008)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a bit embarassing to be honest...
Old 17 Jan 2005, 14:30 (Ref:1203012)   #8
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hmm
isnt it great? the new regulation is meant to make the car less grippy..and with the new surface..teams would be confused and try doubly hard to regain grip..and hence..presto..come melbourne on normal surface...they'd have very grippy cars...
Old 17 Jan 2005, 15:23 (Ref:1203036)   #9
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How long is the track going to be like a pizza-faced teenager for then? Is this a normal post-resurfacing sweatage period? Hmm...
Old 17 Jan 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1203044)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Renault have also moved their test to Valencia.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 15:59 (Ref:1203053)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Apparently the cars that have run at Barcelona were some 20 secs off the expected pace, hence move to Valencia.

According to Autosport, Ferrari, Toyota and Williams may still run, but with that discrepancy in lap times there seems little point unless the track rubbers up quickly, which it won't do without more running on it and I can hardly imagine the teams buring cash to help the circuit out!

With the new regs every test mile is very important as the teams wait to see if the wind tunnel numbers produce the same effect on the track.

However, McLaren has booked Valencia for it's exclusive use later this week....

Info from www.autosport.com
Old 17 Jan 2005, 15:59 (Ref:1203054)   #12
Dog Faced Boy
Racer

England
Kingston upon Hull,Laaandon Essseeeeeexx
Dog Faced Boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My god!!! Ferrari the scoundrals have done it again, scuppering pre season testing. Now all we have to do is pin the Kennedy assasination on them and we have close racing next year. Who's with me?
Old 17 Jan 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1203142)   #13
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to admit I am concerned about this. I am due to be at Valencia from the 25th for the test session but it worries me that as teams have moved to Valencia this week then they won't want to be there the week after (e.g. the week I arrive).

Alex
Old 17 Jan 2005, 18:34 (Ref:1203154)   #14
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I guess that Valencia is the only other viable option then?

Another (small) setback for Sauber and JV; with their limited practice budget all laps are crucial to them at this point. Barcelona would be much preferred for productivity sake.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1203189)   #15
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It means that there will be a rubbish race at Barcelona this year when no one will try to overtake because its slippy offline.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1203197)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmot
It means that there will be a rubbish race at Barcelona this year when no one will try to overtake because its slippy offline.
No change there then.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 21:21 (Ref:1203267)   #17
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing is, how the hell could it be slippery offline if no cars have raced there since it was resurfaced? Logically, it should be slippery all over the place...
Old 18 Jan 2005, 01:04 (Ref:1203400)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The new cars are supposed to slide about. Maybe it's not the track and they haven't realized?
Old 18 Jan 2005, 01:11 (Ref:1203404)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
The new cars are supposed to slide about. Maybe it's not the track and they haven't realized?
And they are only 20 seconds off the pace.

Last edited by Marbot; 18 Jan 2005 at 01:12.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 02:41 (Ref:1203439)   #20
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its gotta just be an issue with the surface not fully curing yet...ashphalt does have a lot of oils in it beign that is made of crude oil....probably just some of the surface remnants fully curing and coming to the surface to evaporate/be washed away
Old 18 Jan 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1203703)   #21
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Webber, who so far has done 31 laps this morning, has been about 6 seconds slower than the unofficial record set by Sato last year. They're lapping in 1:19 at best, while pole for last years' race was 1:14.
Red Bull have stated that they would run and are now making a decision. No word from Williams, Toyota or Ferrari. Williams couple have been atop. MS did a 1:23, and Ralf and Jarno were on the 1:25s.

Not 20 seconds, but about 7 seconds slower.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 13:09 (Ref:1203735)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Cool, does this mean that the track surface is no longer as abrasive?
Before the race was always a 3 stopper as the track was always so grippy/harsh.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1203737)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well it won't be a 3 stopper for tyres next year whatever!

Jordi, it was reported to be 20s yesterday, I guess it is getting better or that was a little OTT...