Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Nov 2017, 18:20 (Ref:3781067)   #776
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hope the context in which he said that doesn't make him look as bad as that looks when viewed in isolation. It is not necessarily a joke if he is still quick enough, and Juan-Pablo could easy end up with egg on his face.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 01:31 (Ref:3781155)   #777
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Montoya not convinced:

"Kubica is a joke!"

http://en.f1i.com/news/285872-montoy...iams-joke.html
What is Mr Villeneuve’s view? Take whatever he says, and know the opposite is absolutely true

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 18 Nov 2017, 21:34 (Ref:3781378)   #778
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
F1.com writes this on Villeneuve's views...

Jacques Villeneuve has blasted Robert Kubica's comeback attempt, believing the Pole doesn't deserve an F1 seat after six years out of the sport.

Kubica's sensational return to the pinnacle of motorsport, after a rally crash halted his career in 2011, is in a final 'make or break' stage.

The 32-year-old tested for Renault at the Hungaroring just before F1's summer break and undoubtedly demonstrated his ability to perform behind the wheel of a 2017-spec F1 car.

The French team still appears to have reservation however about Bobby K's prospects, contrary to Mr. Villeneuve who is crystal clear about what he thinks F1 should do with Robert Kubica.

"I honestly don't understand," the Canadian said in an interview with F1nal-lap.be.

"Who ever got a comeback offer after six years?

"At the end of his career, he was struggling against Petrov. He won his race [in Canada in 2010] like Maldonado, and what did he achieve after that?

"Add the fact that he hasn't recovered 100 percent of his ability, and one wonders how he could cope? Or perhaps the cars are just too easy to drive.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 23:36 (Ref:3781402)   #779
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I think in this instance Jaques and Monty are on the right track.

Other than the fairy story, is Kubica bringing serious money to the deal?

Is it just a pay drive deal?
Old 18 Nov 2017, 23:55 (Ref:3781405)   #780
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i would think there's money going williams -> his insurance company rather than kubica -> williams?
Old 19 Nov 2017, 00:28 (Ref:3781411)   #781
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I expect JV is still bitter about losing his seat to Kubicia as well
Old 19 Nov 2017, 00:45 (Ref:3781412)   #782
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1302 View Post
I expect JV is still bitter about losing his seat to Kubicia as well
Jacques bitter?? Nooo way!
Old 19 Nov 2017, 07:44 (Ref:3781443)   #783
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Other than the fairy story, is Kubica bringing serious money to the deal?
About 8million more than DiResta http://en.f1i.com/news/285872-montoya-kubica-williams-joke.html
Old 19 Nov 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3781459)   #784
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Jacques seems to have a selective memory. Kubica actually won in Canada 2008 and he was hardly struggling against Petrov, he was getting the car further up the grid than it had a right to
Old 19 Nov 2017, 11:48 (Ref:3781464)   #785
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm undecided on Kubica, myself. I do however have a long-held view that F1 should try not to look back as much as it does, because there's plenty of talent swimming around just out of view and it's those drivers that should be given the chance. They just don't carry the money with them...

The big problem is the $$$. Kubica would be a massive feelgood story, and there'll be plenty of sponsors happy to hitch their horses to that particular cart.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 12:34 (Ref:3781479)   #786
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I'm undecided on Kubica, myself. I do however have a long-held view that F1 should try not to look back as much as it does, because there's plenty of talent swimming around just out of view and it's those drivers that should be given the chance. They just don't carry the money with them...

The big problem is the $$$. Kubica would be a massive feelgood story, and there'll be plenty of sponsors happy to hitch their horses to that particular cart.

I think that helps, the extra publicity it would give Williams
Old 19 Nov 2017, 13:04 (Ref:3781481)   #787
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But the $$$'s aside, I'm with Greem on this. We should be looking forward not backwards. Had he been the best there was at the time he had his accident (making it sort of a Moss-like comeback, if you like), that'd be different. He was good, but but not that good.....
Old 20 Nov 2017, 19:15 (Ref:3781770)   #788
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
RTL are reporting that Kubica has signed with Williams for 2018.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 20:37 (Ref:3781807)   #789
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Really.......?
Old 20 Nov 2017, 21:10 (Ref:3781821)   #790
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Sportowe Fakty are also claiming that NBC are running with the story.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 21:55 (Ref:3781832)   #791
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It says Kubica has signed a two-year contract with Williams...
Old 21 Nov 2017, 00:26 (Ref:3781850)   #792
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I think I'll go with Monty and Jaques on this one - JOKE.

Should we start betting on how many races it will last?
Old 21 Nov 2017, 08:58 (Ref:3781909)   #793
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
There were reports in the French media last week that a deal has been done with Williams.

Click bait??
Old 21 Nov 2017, 09:49 (Ref:3781911)   #794
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Just read those links above. So... an announcement WILL be made during the Abu Dhabi GP??

There will be no announcement at this weekends GP. Fake news.

Click bait.

Even though Kubica is believed to be the front runner for the Williams seat, the negotiations continue. Expect an announcement after season's end, or even early into the new year. Will it be Kubica? Or someone else? Or both?
Old 21 Nov 2017, 10:14 (Ref:3781921)   #795
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Just read those links above. So... an announcement WILL be made during the Abu Dhabi GP??

Click bait.

Even though Kubica is believed to be the front runner for the Williams seat, the negotiations continue. Expect an announcement after season's end, or even early into the new year. Will it be Kubica? Or someone else? Or both?
So at the moment - what do we have?

Julien Febreau seems to be the original source for this 'rumour' (which would fit quite well in this thread given the title).
This rumour was then picked up by NBC's Jason Swales - although still without reference to a source for confirmation.
Dutch and Polish media (amongst others) then reported this as news.
Now a lot of media are reporting the story about the rumour, including:
dailyautosport, F1Today, TheJudge13, Globo Esporte, Diario Motorsport, Autosport.....

Williams are dismissing the story, but take a look at the words they are using:

'Although conversations are ongoing with Kubica, it is still yet to be finally decided who will replace Massa. We will make an announcement when we have something to announce but nothing is planned this weekend in Abu Dhabi.'

They are not denying that a contract in place - it is highly possible that there is a contract, but that it has caveats based on the outcomes of the test after the Abu Dhabi GP.
In that case:
- They are correct in saying that they have not finally decided, because the decision rests on the test results.
- They are correct to say nothing will be announced this weekend, because the test takes place afterwards.

What is not being confirmed or denied is whether Kubica has a [caveat-laden] 2-year contract.

Dismissing the story as Fake News is a bit much at the moment, and isn't every publicised story on the internet 'click bait'? - Or do the media outlets not want people to visit their pages?
Old 21 Nov 2017, 22:12 (Ref:3782068)   #796
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Agreed, click bait is one of the dumbest statements that have been used in recent years. Like crmalcolm says, it's literally what keeps online news sites alive. No clicks = no visits = no ads = no money = goodnight.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 23:43 (Ref:3782090)   #797
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
and isn't every publicised story on the internet 'click bait'? - Or do the media outlets not want people to visit their pages?
In my opinion, absolutely not and people know the difference. Having an appropriate and catchy headline is productive to pull viewers in, but there clearly is a category that goes beyond. Headlines such as "Man runs into childhood sweetheart, what happens next is stunning!" is a modern example.

To use a food analogy... All candy is food, but not all food is candy. Same goes for headlines (food) and clickbait (candy).

Motorsports sites are not immune to "clickbait" types of headlines. Especially when it comes to reporting rumors.

Richard
Old 22 Nov 2017, 02:51 (Ref:3782108)   #798
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Meanwhile,

Giovinazzi still in the frame at Sauber with a possible hint of Alfa:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/s...umours-980978/

Sirotkin now in the frame for Williams? Seems strange to give him the Abu Dhabi test if it is a one-off and not a measuring stick for Kubica/straight shootout:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/s...e-test-981207/
Old 22 Nov 2017, 04:35 (Ref:3782119)   #799
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Dismissing the story as Fake News is a bit much at the moment, and isn't every publicised story on the internet 'click bait'? - Or do the media outlets not want people to visit their pages?
Did you read my post?? Here it is again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post

Click bait.

Was simply pointing out that the reports stating that announcement WILL be made this weekend is fake news. Where did I say Kubica has not signed with Williams???? I even stated Kubica is believed to be the front runner for the Williams seat. But wouldn't expect an announcement until seasons end or early next year.

Whoever Williams decide on, be it Robert Kubica, or Bob Kubica or that other talented driver Robbie Kubica, I hope they make the right choice.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 06:13 (Ref:3782131)   #800
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
In my opinion, absolutely not and people know the difference. Having an appropriate and catchy headline is productive to pull viewers in, but there clearly is a category that goes beyond. Headlines such as "Man runs into childhood sweetheart, what happens next is stunning!" is a modern example.

To use a food analogy... All candy is food, but not all food is candy. Same goes for headlines (food) and clickbait (candy).

Motorsports sites are not immune to "clickbait" types of headlines. Especially when it comes to reporting rumors.

Richard
I agree entirely that there are misleading headlines, which lead a media consumer along a path where the results are not what they may expect.
If that is referred to as 'clickbait' in terms of it being a negative term - then I don't feel that is the case with the articles being published.

The RTL headline is that Kubica will drive for Williams in 2018. Something that may be true, and in the article the reasoning for making this claim is given. - Therefore (IMO) not fake news or clickbaiting.

The Sportowe Fakty headline is that Kubica is sure to return - a beautiful story. Again, something that may be true, and so not a clickbait or fake news.