Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Mar 2002, 16:36 (Ref:244510)   #1
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ayrton Senna's FW16 finally released by the Italian authorities.

Quote:
From Planet F1
The Williams FW16 in which world champion Ayrton Senna was fatally inured in the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix has finally been released by the Italian authorities who have been holding it in a garage in Bologna, according to the Swiss publication Motorsport Aktuell.

The brilliant Brazilian's car failed to make the bend at Tamburello corner and ploughed into a wall and although he appeared to be alive when he was extracted from the car and airlifted from the track, he was later pronounced dead in hospital.

Williams team principal Sir Frank Williams technical director Patrick Head and then chief designer Adrian Newey had charges of manslaughter brought against them by the Italian authorities after a major investigation during which the car was impounded as evidence.

But the Williams trio were cleared of all charges in 1999, and it seems, according to the report, that the car will now be returned to its owners who were not prepared to comment on the matter yesterday.
RIP Ayrton...
Old 26 Mar 2002, 20:19 (Ref:244654)   #2
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose the owner is Williams?
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 26 Mar 2002, 21:12 (Ref:244695)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah. If he has any soul, he'll lock it up for eternity rather than allow a bidding war.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 21:19 (Ref:244703)   #4
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be surprised if he even thought about selling it...
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 26 Mar 2002, 22:05 (Ref:244736)   #5
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
UHH, why did they need to keep the car for three years after the court case was cleared?

Last edited by Dr. Austin; 26 Mar 2002 at 22:06.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 22:10 (Ref:244741)   #6
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hate that car.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 23:05 (Ref:244791)   #7
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frank would never consider selling it. Although, I think he wishes they would never have returned it in the first place. It leaves him in a tough situation - what should he do with it?

I think he should just lock it up in a garage at Grove and throw away the key. I dont think putting it on display or anything like that would generate a positive reaction.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 23:23 (Ref:244798)   #8
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car could always be used for reaserch on the Senna film......unless it disapears after being returned to Williams
Old 27 Mar 2002, 09:44 (Ref:244977)   #9
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, for me, Mania's suggestion is best...just lock it away in their factory and forget about it...putting it on display or selling is just not one, and I am sure Sir Frank will realise this.

RIP Ayrton, it's been nearly 8 years. We miss you
Old 27 Mar 2002, 09:48 (Ref:244982)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
just lock it away in their factory and forget about it(
destroy it is the simple answer
Old 27 Mar 2002, 11:09 (Ref:245040)   #11
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with Mania and DNQ, they should keep it in storage somewhere, never to see the light of day..

I don't think it should be destroyed as no doubt someone, somewhere, somehow would get hold of some of the parts no matter how carefully they disposed of the car. That could then lead to someone making money from the whole thing which would be damnright wrong.

At least if the Williams team lock the car away somewhere, they'll know where it is, away from the wrong hands.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 11:26 (Ref:245052)   #12
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say put it in one of those machines that crush it into a little cube...
Old 27 Mar 2002, 11:31 (Ref:245054)   #13
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
like it or not, this car is an important part of F1 history and definately should be available for public display
Old 27 Mar 2002, 11:34 (Ref:245055)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMO Sir Frank will keep it in a private room. It won't be kept in the Williams museum and he certainly wouldn't want to make money from putting it up for auction.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 11:36 (Ref:245057)   #15
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why would anyone want to see this car on display is beyond me, sure its a part of history but it would be extremely disrespectful to his family and friends for it to go on display or for anyone to profit from its use. Lock it up I say and let that e the end of it.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 11:44 (Ref:245064)   #16
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your right,the car may not be sold.
But I don't agree that the car should be destroyed,as a respect for Senna,it was his car and the only thing that we still have from his last GP.I would say lock it away but dont destroy it as you would destroy a part of Senna...
Old 27 Mar 2002, 11:54 (Ref:245078)   #17
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bury it.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 12:05 (Ref:245086)   #18
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would feel sick if someone put it in a collection to show off, but what to do with it?

Give it to senna's family, yuk.
make it a memorial from it, yuk.
Destroy it, no it is to important to F1.

My view is leave it at imola or in the williams factory not to be viewed but just stored, just so we know it is still around. It can not be destroyed as it is the last link to senna.

One thing is for sure, I would not have it in my house or want it in my posession.

Senna RIP
Old 27 Mar 2002, 12:31 (Ref:245104)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A few thoughts on "fatal" cars.

Parry Thomas was killed by his land speed record car "Babs". I believe it rolled over on top of him and killed him. The car was buried on Pendine Sands for some years. Nowadays that cars is regularly seen at VSCC race days in the UK and its history makes it a "star attraction".

Mike Hawthorn died in a road accident on the Hogs back in Surrey. His car was taken back to his garage in Farnham and cut into small pieces. The theory is that the car had been modified with a hand throttle and that this device jammed open and caused the accident. Hie loyal employees allegedly cut the car up to protect their deceased friend. People are still tyring to trace parts of that car.

I mention these two cars because no matter what we think now, at some point in the future, historians will want to know all about the sad events at Imola '94.

There are other instances of the Italian Authorities impounding racing cars. The 1971 Rindt Lotus is a case in point. I'm not sure but I believe that car is still locked away somewhere in Itlay. Perhaps somebody could enlighten me?
Old 27 Mar 2002, 12:47 (Ref:245108)   #20
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For emotional reasons, I can't say that I at one point or another wouldn't want to see that car. Just to have a look at it, and ponder... It is an important part of F1 history, but it would not be morally right to make a profit from it, and I don't think Williams will do that. Lock it away for now, but keep it intact for posterity...
Old 27 Mar 2002, 15:10 (Ref:245172)   #21
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bart_jacobs
But I don't agree that the car should be destroyed,as a respect for Senna,it was his car and the only thing that we still have from his last GP.I would say lock it away but dont destroy it as you would destroy a part of Senna...
I agree. The most horrible car in the known world should not be destroyed. I never want to see it, but to destroy it would certainly be wrong. I don't have a very good explanation for this, but it would actually hurt me to ever see the car or to hear that it had been destroyed.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 16:34 (Ref:245224)   #22
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's Frank's car so he can do as he pleases. But I don't believe the Piers Courage DeTomaso was ever seen again. The same with the Clark, Spence, Rindt or DeAngelis Lotuses. As strapped as Simtek was, I don't think they tried to slavage any of Roland's car. Unless I missed one, we, thankfully, never seem to see any of these types of cars. In the old days, some of the Indycars were so strong that they would flip it over, hammer out the dents and plug in another monkey, but modern cars a pretty destroyed in a fatal accident. I think these teams just chop them into little pieces and throw them in the ocean. Renault will probably want their motor back, though.

Safety technology has progressed way past where anything that can be learned from a stone-age race car like the FW-14 (is that right?) so there is nothing to be gained there.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 16:53 (Ref:245233)   #23
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the old days those 'indestructible' old Indy cars would burn until they melted.

Frank Williams will hate the sight of that car just as much or more than anyone here. He's not ghoul enough to put it up for auction or put it on display. I daresay he has more respect for Senna's memory than any of us have.

At least a more real one.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 19:41 (Ref:245339)   #24
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't agree with the general opinion on this point.

There must be some non-profit Senna-museum in Brazil.
I would like Frank to donate the car to such a place.
They surely can find a way to treat it without disrespect.
(Possibly in a special room with a warning sign at the outside.)
Old 27 Mar 2002, 23:41 (Ref:245510)   #25
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not necessarily a bad idea... if it can be done properly and with respect. I'm sure there are many people who would feel they needed to see the car.