Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 10 Jan 2017, 10:36 (Ref:3701556)   #2026
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Really makes you wonder why they've gone down that route rather than take a stock P2 car. Hope it works out for them though.

Must say, from the testing footage it's a great looking field this year. Big fan of the PR1 livery personally too.
Totally agree, but perhaps ESM saw the writing on the wall for the Gibson engine, therefore ESM wanted a motor which is proven, lowly stressed and reliable from Nissan, who they seem to have forged good ties with over the past year, they certainly migrated well away from Honda, especially after MSR got the full blown NSX deal.

In testing the standard LMP2 route has worked a treat for Dragon-Speed and Rebellion.......but will they really go the distance for 24 hours?.....I really doubt it with the Gibson V8.....my money is on the Cadillacs for a win, and the ESM nissan should go the distance for a sneaky podium, on the basis that they are both low-stress engine options......being blisteringly fast in practice and qualifying means almost nothing for a 24 hour race.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 10:41 (Ref:3701559)   #2027
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
If the Gibson can't last 24 hours then they really shouldn't have been given a contract to make engines for LE MANS prototypes! Surely that was point #1 in the specification for that engine and for the new cars?

(Sorry, those are fairly rhetorical points and it was historically an issue with P2s, I realise it's the first public outing for the engines and cars)
Old 10 Jan 2017, 11:40 (Ref:3701572)   #2028
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Yet the last few times it was run at LM, the 4.5 Gibson LMP1 engine didn't have major issues, and we have to remember the TMG 3.4 V8s that for sure revved higher than any of the Gibson purpose built LMP engines, though the TMG engine was developed from Toyota backing.

Though it should also be said that the Toyota V8 was a Formula Nippon engine that only ran sprint races until Toyota started running it in the Rebellion Lolas and the TS030.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 15:30 (Ref:3701609)   #2029
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Though it should also be said that the Toyota V8 was a Formula Nippon engine that only ran sprint races until Toyota started running it in the Rebellion Lolas and the TS030.
I think you forget that it won the Suzuka 1,000km and the Super GT championship. It was jointly developed for Formula Nippon and GT500 so it was designed to do more than sprint races.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 19:12 (Ref:3701652)   #2030
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
I think you forget that it won the Suzuka 1,000km and the Super GT championship. It was jointly developed for Formula Nippon and GT500 so it was designed to do more than sprint races.
A 1,000km race is a sprint race compared to a 24 hour race.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 19:41 (Ref:3701656)   #2031
Buddybryan3
Rookie

Buddybryan3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If any of you guys are interested in video of the DPi's I did a small one from the weekend! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUNGf3aeHGA Personally I'm loving the new Cadillacs, they sound awesome.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 20:21 (Ref:3701662)   #2032
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A 6 hour race is in no way a sprint event, compared to anything.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 20:22 (Ref:3701664)   #2033
godlameroso
Racer

godlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgodlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I wonder if esm is using the gtr gt3 engine just because that's what is available 'on the cheap' or the fastest approach? It's obviously making the car overweight, but may be worth it if it's good power. So why not something like that gtr lmp1 engine? Or the super gt engine? I think Nissan is a willing partner but not to the point of the others (obviously). So with the recent interview, I wonder if next year they step up support and the engine and it's components gets lighter or changed? And if it's ESM doing the bodywork, what is the chances that the lmp1-p rumor is true and they find a way to get the car over to the wec or LM?
They're sandbagging, Scott Sharp and Ed Brown went to the beach to work on their tan, and all the sand ended up in the cars.

Last edited by godlameroso; 10 Jan 2017 at 20:30.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 20:54 (Ref:3701668)   #2034
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
50kg is a lot, and it affects performance everywhere. For BoP's sake IMSA could make it a rocket on the straights.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 21:29 (Ref:3701672)   #2035
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
A 6 hour race is in no way a sprint event, compared to anything.
It's only 1/4 the distance of a 24 hour race. That's a sprint by comparison. NO, it's no small feat, but it's nowhere close to 24 hours.

On top of that, the Super GT engines do get repairs and rebuilds in between races.

This makes the Toyota engine's successful usage in a 24 hour race a genuine and very welcome surprise. The engines were NOT originally designed to run that long without maintenance. Proof that we shouldn't assume that an engine designed for purpose A isn't capable of purpose B, but at the same time enough of a difference to have concern about things until they actually DO the job.

As far as the Gibson, I expect teething issues at Daytona and Le Mans. But I feel they'll be ironed out for 2018.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 22:04 (Ref:3701675)   #2036
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
It's only 1/4 the distance of a 24 hour race. That's a sprint by comparison. NO, it's no small feat, but it's nowhere close to 24 hours.

On top of that, the Super GT engines do get repairs and rebuilds in between races.

This makes the Toyota engine's successful usage in a 24 hour race a genuine and very welcome surprise. The engines were NOT originally designed to run that long without maintenance. Proof that we shouldn't assume that an engine designed for purpose A isn't capable of purpose B, but at the same time enough of a difference to have concern about things until they actually DO the job.

As far as the Gibson, I expect teething issues at Daytona and Le Mans. But I feel they'll be ironed out for 2018.
That's good points but the engines are not fragile pieces. The new one's especially since they see multiple races with the same engine. It is not a huge task to make a reliable race engine from a fast one.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 18:39 (Ref:3701883)   #2037
godlameroso
Racer

godlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgodlameroso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if the speed of the Mazda's was due more to it being cool, than them actually having a lot of power. If it's warmer like it will be in 2 weeks time they won't have the same pace.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 18:51 (Ref:3701885)   #2038
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by godlameroso View Post
I wonder if the speed of the Mazda's was due more to it being cool, than them actually having a lot of power. If it's warmer like it will be in 2 weeks time they won't have the same pace.
I have been following the practices online and following the top speeds. I think the top speed of the Mazda was just one lap, it could be because it was driving behind another car, because average top speed was a lot lower as we can see on the analisys.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 18:56 (Ref:3701886)   #2039
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a comparison, how reliable was the LMP2 VK45 Nissan engine when it was first used at Le Mans?
Old 11 Jan 2017, 20:05 (Ref:3701894)   #2040
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley speed 8 View Post
As a comparison, how reliable was the LMP2 VK45 Nissan engine when it was first used at Le Mans?
Top users finished 1-2 in class, 8th and 9th overall. One car retired with overheating, but that was driving slowly back to the pits after a crash which had also damaged the water radiator.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3702566)   #2041
xjr14
Rookie

xjr14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 Jan 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3702567)   #2042
xjr14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
This photo is the first time I have seen ANY resemblance to the GT-R in the front end of the Nissan DPi, and even then it's only JUST visible to me:

And I'm sorry to say this, but as a result of this angle I think it's the only DPi that is aesthetically a step down from the LMP2 base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 Jan 2017, 19:20 (Ref:3702993)   #2043
xjr14
Rookie

ESM NISSAN DPi

Probably will look something like this.....Enjoy!
Old 18 Jan 2017, 14:53 (Ref:3703383)   #2044
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Doubt the stanchions for the nose will be green. They're gonna wanna make sure the GT-R shape is super noticeable.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3703408)   #2045
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I have to say, I see a lot of GT-R in ESM's effort. The GT-R is a big, hulking grand tourer, having its face attached to a tiny single-seater inspired Le Mans(/Daytona) prototype.

Chris
Old 19 Jan 2017, 00:48 (Ref:3703450)   #2046
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post

I have to say, I see a lot of GT-R in ESM's effort. The GT-R is a big, hulking grand tourer, having its face attached to a tiny single-seater inspired Le Mans(/Daytona) prototype.

Chris
All I see is a catfish without whiskers.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 03:05 (Ref:3703466)   #2047
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I don't think ESM's Nissan's are quite ready for the Daytona 24 I feel. I expect some reliability issues with them overnight. (as is the cases with other DPIs). Sebring they will be good though.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 13:27 (Ref:3703813)   #2048
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjr14 View Post

Probably will look something like this.....Enjoy!
It won't. ....

They've got a pretty great livery worked out to push the Nissan connection. Just wait. You'll be very happy.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 20 Jan 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3703906)   #2049
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post

Chris
Surely that is just a photo of a modified road GT-R I front of a DPi?
Old 26 Jan 2017, 17:17 (Ref:3705272)   #2050
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joest Looks To IMSA DPi For 2018 Comeback

The factories that are looking at prototype programmes are certainly looking here (in North America) and that’s what we are targeting. Audi is not on list of interested parties for 2018.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...-comeback.html