Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 17 Mar 2008, 09:54 (Ref:2154508)   #1
scholar96
Rookie

United Kingdom
Great Sutton
scholar96 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DNC 750 formula car

I am making a plee for information about the Ex Pete Knipe DNC, which is the only left hand drive 750 formula car ever built. We are about to start the chassis restoration on this car with a view to racing it in the 750 trophy, I need information on the original specification of the car, the builders name and possbly a contact would be realy good.

So far we think we have established that it was built in the early 1970's, originaly ran 10" wheels, and the engine was laid flat on the right hand side of the car. Late on in its career it was converted to run a fiat engine bit in my opinion this didn't realy work as the car is relatively small and the Fiat is a crossflow engine meaning that the intake is facing the floor.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2154679)   #2
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholar96
I am making a plee for information about the Ex Pete Knipe DNC, which is the only left hand drive 750 formula car ever built. We are about to start the chassis restoration on this car with a view to racing it in the 750 trophy, I need information on the original specification of the car, the builders name and possbly a contact would be realy good.

So far we think we have established that it was built in the early 1970's, originaly ran 10" wheels, and the engine was laid flat on the right hand side of the car. Late on in its career it was converted to run a fiat engine bit in my opinion this didn't realy work as the car is relatively small and the Fiat is a crossflow engine meaning that the intake is facing the floor.
DNC stands for David Newman Camshafts who are still in business. They may be able to help.

http://www.newman-cams.com/

David won the 72 championship in a DNC Mk3 - is this your car?

I ran a DNC Mk6 in the 80/81 although the engine and driver were in the normal position..
Old 17 Mar 2008, 17:26 (Ref:2154854)   #3
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also do a search for "750 formula" and they have a dedicated website for the formula. They have there own forum where most of them would have raced against the car over the years and be able to help you most.

Hope that helps
Old 18 Mar 2008, 09:52 (Ref:2155437)   #4
scholar96
Rookie

United Kingdom
Great Sutton
scholar96 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys, just to let you know my position, we have been building 750 trophy, formula and sports 1000 cars for about 20 years now, I have known Pete's DNC for much longer. My understanding was that the car was built by or for Mike Whatley for his wife to drive, later raced sucessfully by Pete Knipe until it was changed to meet the new engine regs, at this point it was converted to Fiat but never gained the previous sucesses.

Recently this has been put in doubt in that the car was built for a couple (who now live in new zealand) then bought by Mike Whatley.

My main interest in the history revolves around establishing if it ran 10" wheels in period, so that we can build it that way.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2155559)   #5
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholar96
Thanks guys, just to let you know my position, we have been building 750 trophy, formula and sports 1000 cars for about 20 years now, I have known Pete's DNC for much longer. My understanding was that the car was built by or for Mike Whatley for his wife to drive, later raced sucessfully by Pete Knipe until it was changed to meet the new engine regs, at this point it was converted to Fiat but never gained the previous sucesses.

Recently this has been put in doubt in that the car was built for a couple (who now live in new zealand) then bought by Mike Whatley.

My main interest in the history revolves around establishing if it ran 10" wheels in period, so that we can build it that way.
Linda Whatley was driving it when I was in 750's. It was painted yellow in those days.

Somebody on here may have a contact number or address for Mike Whatley.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 14:30 (Ref:2563692)   #6
mike whatley
Rookie

mike whatley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DNC 750

Yes
I built it for my wife to drive, if you want any info drop me a line mike@teamensign.com
or 01484 680777
Mike
Old 1 Jan 2010, 05:41 (Ref:2606967)   #7
Steve E
Rookie

Steve E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'Ex Pete Knipe DNC, which is the only left hand drive 750 formula car ever built'.

There was a second Left Hand Drive F750 (or maybe it was the first). It was called The Silver Y, which was a morphing of the Maggott F750 cars built in 1976-77 by Chris Elmes. Chris build F750's called Maggotts from 1974 to 76, then in '77 the LHD Silver Y was developed, built LHD to allow the engine to be tilted over at about 80 degress from horizontal, and therefore, as I recall had to be LHD to allow the exhaust system to come upwards. It was also one of the first semi-monocoque cars too, as opposed to the traditional spaceframes. It went quite well too, a few top 3 placings in the '77 F750 Championship plus a win sometime that year on the Silverstone Club Circuit. I guess one of the reasons it was quick was the lower C of G that it had with the laydown engine.

The car was sold at the end of that year to a chap called Trefor Slatter, who raced it in '78 with a few good results too.

The car then sat in a garage in Hemel Hempstead until about 1989, when it was disposed of.
Old 29 Aug 2012, 21:56 (Ref:3127129)   #8
roger saretzki
Rookie

roger saretzki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DNC ???

Dear Sirs

Last week i bought a 750 RASER near Canterbury (Kent) .
Now i try to find out the history from this car .

Who build the car ?
When ?
Where ?
Who drove the car ?
Other/more pre/owners ?
Raceresults ?

I put a few photos in a folder . Please have a look here :

https://fotoalbum.web.de/ui/external...iUXut0IdQ23903

I appreciate any Information.........................

Best Regards from Germany , Roger