Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Apr 2009, 14:12 (Ref:2430628)   #26
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Me again sorry everyone but what was Mons Al.
It can be an interesting lady part but I think Al is referring to the 1st battle in WW1 where the British cocked up.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 14:18 (Ref:2430632)   #27
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mons:
On the way to meet the French Army at Charleroi, the 70,000 strong British force met the advancing German Army at Mons.

To stop the advancing Germans, orders were given to a group of Royal Fusiliers to destroy the bridges over the Mons-Conde Canal. The men came under heavy German fire.

On the morning of 23rd August, General Alexander von Kluck and his 150,000 soldiers attacked the British positions. Although the German First Army suffered heavy losses from British rifle fire, the British Commander was forced to instruct his outnumbered forces to retreat. French favoured a withdrawal to the coast but the British war minister, Lord Kitchener ordered the British Forces to retreat to the River Marne.

The Battle of Mons was generally considered to be the first of many cock ups by the senior army staff under the direction of Kitchener. Undeterred the idiots in charge of both the French and British Armies continued until millions of the cream of Britain and France were killed.

We, the French, never really recovered from the decimation of our youth between 1914-1918.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 15:03 (Ref:2430651)   #28
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are marshalling in this area, if the drivers don't take Mcleans very slowly, you could be seeing a few shunts head on into an earth mound or wall. A speed limit on top of the yellow flag zone would make more sense, somethig like drop to 30 MPH between Mcleans approach until Coppice exit, it would reduce the chance of nasty shunts. The MSA have only awarded Donington a 2 day licence because of this yellow flag zone being implmented, but will it be enougth?
Old 1 Apr 2009, 15:15 (Ref:2430656)   #29
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an entrant in the MGCC event, I find Donington's behaviour totally unacceptable. I'm also a Clerk of Course and anyone will realise that if you intend to alter a track you consult John Symes at the MSA first and he then has to inspect the work before issuing a new licence. Surely the Donington management should know that?
As we are unable to race on part of the course, will Donington give us a pro rata refund?
It really makes one wonder if they are capable of running a GP.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 15:25 (Ref:2430663)   #30
Dave 455
Racer

Yes, its a shame such a nice racetrack is so poorly run. There is never any problems at any other circuit. They managed to put East Midlands Airport out of action last year, by putting up radio masts and fairground rides over the flight path without telling the airport! They also tried to run 2 days racing that there licence wouldn't enable, meaning that Britcar lost it's Donington night race event and also 7 BRSCC championships lost there final rounds, which totally upset the final points tables!
The place is a mess now, hopefully Someone new will take over the venue in the near future!
Old 1 Apr 2009, 15:28 (Ref:2430664)   #31
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Does the ongoing work mean they now have their funding in place? If so I take my hat off to them - they have succeeded where many corporates globally have failed....
Old 1 Apr 2009, 15:35 (Ref:2430669)   #32
Dave 455
Racer

The only work to have taken place is a new tunell, this has caused the MSA race licence to be refused. No further work is taking place, the infield is as it was last september, with a large motocross track and 2 large earth banks overlooking the wheatcroft straight, so even if money was found, no building work could start, until the infield was cleared. Although at the weeknd there was 1 digger and 1 dumper truck on-site, but no builders!
Old 1 Apr 2009, 16:42 (Ref:2430705)   #33
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have just been advised that they are running the races anti clockwise - this way the run off areas are no problem. Has anybody else received this information and can they please confirm?
Marcus
Old 1 Apr 2009, 17:00 (Ref:2430718)   #34
Dave 455
Racer

The runoff is the same at both sides of the track - non-existant, so it would not have any effect running anti-clockwise. The climb up the craners would be steep for old cars too, someone is having you on I think!
Old 1 Apr 2009, 17:10 (Ref:2430725)   #35
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think running wrong direction is probably an April Fools joke however the no racing area is not !!!
Old 1 Apr 2009, 17:31 (Ref:2430743)   #36
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
I have just been advised that they are running the races anti clockwise - this way the run off areas are no problem. Has anybody else received this information and can they please confirm?
Marcus
Missano Marcus. Its been done guys.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 18:23 (Ref:2430777)   #37
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is the infield open to spectators ?
Old 2 Apr 2009, 09:10 (Ref:2431146)   #38
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
up by the first corner it is as so presume it is all round but they would not be able to get very close to teh flagged area
Old 2 Apr 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2431214)   #39
Dave 455
Racer

No, the infield is totally closed and out of bounds according to Donington
Old 2 Apr 2009, 10:25 (Ref:2431218)   #40
simon drabble
Veteran

have those corporate suites now gone?
Old 2 Apr 2009, 11:26 (Ref:2431278)   #41
Dave 455
Racer

No they are still their.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 12:52 (Ref:2431351)   #42
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 455 View Post
No they are still their.
Glad you on board here Dave. My english is not so bad after all.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 13:30 (Ref:2431387)   #43
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pot and Kettle come to mind here, Iain!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2431500)   #44
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Crook View Post
Think running wrong direction is probably an April Fools joke however the no racing area is not !!!
You were right, it was my idea of an April Fool's Joke - I assumed the yellow flag between McCleans and Coppice was also an April Fool's Joke but I am starting to get the nasty feeling that that is not true - I wish people would not announce news like that on the 1st of April!
I guess I will just find out on Sunday - what a bore.
Still we qualified last year behind a pace car so if we do the whole race behind one this year, why not?
But, coming from Monaco, who needs run off areas anyway?
And in qualifying if we come up behind some slow coach just before the first yellow it will mean aborting the whole lap. It's going to make the last braking zone before the yellow flag very critical and dangerous!
And Mr. Gee going to have to define very precisely exactly where the no passing zone starts - this has never been very clear to me. Is it as you go past the yellow flag or as you come to the braking point before the yellow flag?
Old 2 Apr 2009, 15:28 (Ref:2431526)   #45
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus I`m sure there will be a full drivers briefing on Sunday explaining the rules regarding the no overtaking area. Hopefully we all get a much drier weekend than last year.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 15:58 (Ref:2431555)   #46
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I learnt of the possibility of yellow flag between McLean's and Coppice before 1st April, so you may draw your own conclusions - remember this licence was acquired at fairly short notice and is temporary.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 16:44 (Ref:2431584)   #47
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As of this morning, the whole circuit was due to be available for 'racing' - no yellows, no speed limits, etc., but the advice was also that a lot has changed over the last few days, so further change is not impossible...

James
Old 2 Apr 2009, 20:07 (Ref:2431773)   #48
Dave 455
Racer

The final decisions have been made this afternoon, and the whole Mcleans to Coppice area will be a full yellow flag zone and the meeting will be terminated if any drivers act irresponsibly in this area. Full update on www.hscc.org.uk
Old 2 Apr 2009, 21:18 (Ref:2431840)   #49
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 455 View Post
No, the infield is totally closed and out of bounds according to Donington
Thank you, I'll maybe try Donington next season then.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 08:45 (Ref:2432116)   #50
simon drabble
Veteran

before I decide whether to cancel my entry or not can somebody just confirm - where will we start being under yellow flags and where will we come out of yellow flags? Will it be on the rise to the right hander after the bridge and then all the way round to Wheatcroft Straight?