Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 19 Oct 2012, 19:13 (Ref:3154496)   #51
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
I read that headline on Autosport's site, but when I clicked to read the article a window popped up saying I'd used all my free views this month and that to read anything I'd have to pay.
Bloody cheek!
So anyway, I didn't get to read it...
Not totally true as she is leaving DTM to give her more time for her single seater commitments!
Old 19 Oct 2012, 19:31 (Ref:3154507)   #52
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Not totally true as she is leaving DTM to give her more time for her single seater commitments!
I'd laugh my butt off, if she starts appearting in FR3.5 or even IndyCar next year.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 20:20 (Ref:3154531)   #53
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder why this is being discussed at all. Coulthard is Scottish and so is di Resta and it never seemed to be a problem.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 23:57 (Ref:3154586)   #54
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrinck View Post
I wonder why this is being discussed at all. Coulthard is Scottish and so is di Resta and it never seemed to be a problem.
I didn't think either of them married a team (part) owner...
Old 20 Oct 2012, 00:30 (Ref:3154594)   #55
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Most of this post to me, seems to be making snide remarks about Miss Patrick.
no. totally wrong. fair play to her for making the most of her situation, i have no beef with her. the only women i have a problem with in motorsport are the same as the men i have a problem with in motorsport. the comment about the fashion and party set was actually provoked by a male driver. and you know what? i was thinking about a male driver using his sexuality to get sponsors too. i think you're tarring it with your own agenda.

Quote:
Most of the ill feeling directed at her is the mysoginist rubbish comming from those who resent women in motorsport.
and as a woman, close to motorsport, with plenty of female friends involved *in* motorsport in various occupations... i don't know if you're suggesting that statement covers me but... well, we're back to your own agenda there aren't we? but i agree there's usually a lot of either jealousy or resentment behind people who dislike danica and her career path. some people see it as just doing whats necessary to get what she wants and manipulating the male press, other see it the other way around and that she shouldn't be taking her clothes off for the odd photoshoot because it reinforces the "women are objects not people" concept that still underpins a lot of male dominated sports and environments.
Old 20 Oct 2012, 00:35 (Ref:3154595)   #56
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post

If you think she's hot, just wait til you see the rest of the internet!
Old 20 Oct 2012, 00:37 (Ref:3154596)   #57
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
no. totally wrong. fair play to her for making the most of her situation, i have no beef with her. the only women i have a problem with in motorsport are the same as the men i have a problem with in motorsport. the comment about the fashion and party set was actually provoked by a male driver. and you know what? i was thinking about a male driver using his sexuality to get sponsors too. i think you're tarring it with your own agenda.

and as a woman, close to motorsport, with plenty of female friends involved *in* motorsport in various occupations... i don't know if you're suggesting that statement covers me but... well, we're back to your own agenda there aren't we? but i agree there's usually a lot of either jealousy or resentment behind people who dislike danica and her career path. some people see it as just doing whats necessary to get what she wants and manipulating the male press, other see it the other way around and that she shouldn't be taking her clothes off for the odd photoshoot because it reinforces the "women are objects not people" concept that still underpins a lot of male dominated sports and environments.
O.K. but no agenda I assure you!
Old 20 Oct 2012, 10:46 (Ref:3154782)   #58
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have no idea what this thread has to do with Danica.

She came over to the UK to learn, came 4th in the Formula Ford Festival, returned home and through hard work and talent became a star. She's chosen her own path and has outperformed men who probably feel annoyed about it because when they do see her marketing photos they feel uncomfortably attracted to her rather than to the often very short male racing drivers looking extremely macho advertising an aftershave or similar. If that sounds like you I'd phone a therapist, there is a solution.

It's her choice what series she contests, not going all out for an F1 career was clearly a good decision. I dare any "hater" to sit at turn one at Indy or four at Talladega and tell me she doesn't deserve her place in the sport.
Old 20 Oct 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3154806)   #59
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
I have no idea what this thread has to do with Danica.

She came over to the UK to learn, came 4th in the Formula Ford Festival, returned home and through hard work and talent became a star. She's chosen her own path and has outperformed men who probably feel annoyed about it because when they do see her marketing photos they feel uncomfortably attracted to her rather than to the often very short male racing drivers looking extremely macho advertising an aftershave or similar. If that sounds like you I'd phone a therapist, there is a solution.

It's her choice what series she contests, not going all out for an F1 career was clearly a good decision. I dare any "hater" to sit at turn one at Indy or four at Talladega and tell me she doesn't deserve her place in the sport.
Good post !
Old 20 Oct 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3155049)   #60
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Flavio: Good assessment. While I do not think Danica to be untalented as a driver, I do not think that she is at (or ever was at) a level where you could consider her for an F1 type of program developmentally.

Danica has carved out a niche for herself - a "brand" if you will where she has maximized her opportunities for marketing to not only generate revenue for herself, but to help ensure that she gets to be with a top team as that brand brings sponsor dollars to the team as well.

I wish that she had spent more time on her career/craft as I think she could have accomplished more in IndyCar than she did and possibly more than she might in NASCAR. In any event I do not believe her to be "overmatched" in NASCAR presently nor previously in IndyCar.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 20 Oct 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3155051)   #61
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC View Post
. While I do not think Danica to be untalented as a driver, I do not think that she is at (or ever was at) a level where you could consider her for an F1 type of program developmentally.
To be fair, and without hoping to sound sexist, there isn't any woman currently out there that is at the level of being able to do an F1 program.

That said, she's done very well for herself, she's won a race in Indycars (no mean feat) and earned herself a way into NASCAR.
Old 20 Oct 2012, 22:26 (Ref:3155074)   #62
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
To be fair, and without hoping to sound sexist, there isn't any woman currently out there that is at the level of being able to do an F1 program.

That said, she's done very well for herself, she's won a race in Indycars (no mean feat) and earned herself a way into NASCAR.
That may be true, but I'd like to see Patrick, de Silvestro, Beatriz and Legge have proper multi-day tests in F1, at the upcoming Abu Dhabi test for example.
I'd just be interested to see what some of the world's best female racers might actually be capable of (I know Legge had a test with Minardi, but that was 7 years ago). Give them a couple of days each or something. I'm just a curious sole.
All this talk from us about who is and isn't good enough is just that - talk.
Before he stepped into a Toyota no-one thought Kobayashi was F1 quality, but now we'd all be gutted to see him go.
Old 21 Oct 2012, 10:38 (Ref:3155335)   #63
Jules Mini
Rookie

United Kingdom
Radstock
Jules Mini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vanina Ickx is worth a mention too she can certainly peddle a sportscar quite rapidly
Old 21 Oct 2012, 13:07 (Ref:3155398)   #64
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
That may be true, but I'd like to see Patrick, de Silvestro, Beatriz and Legge have proper multi-day tests in F1, at the upcoming Abu Dhabi test for example.
I'd like to see that too, but the fact that it doesn't happen, says, to me, that the team's don't think that they (the females) are of a required level either.

If we take Danica as an example, she certainly hasn't shamed herself in Indycar (not sure how she's going in NASCAR) yet she didn't do aswell as some of the male drivers, guy's who haven't been offered an F1 test either, so why should Danica?
Old 21 Oct 2012, 23:54 (Ref:3155640)   #65
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Mini View Post
Vanina Ickx is worth a mention too she can certainly peddle a sportscar quite rapidly
Ickx was disastrous in DTM. I wonder how Susie Wolf would do in sportscars?
Old 22 Oct 2012, 01:52 (Ref:3155660)   #66
FĂ©lix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
FĂ©lix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFĂ©lix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No mention of Maria de Villota?

Motor racing is a lot more about car than driver and F1 is now more than half full of pay drivers... I'd like to see a woman climb up the single seaters ladder so we could once and for all end the debate about whether they are physically capable or not. A good enough woman would certainly benefit from massive sponsor interest and from lower weight. (And instead of taking a break in their career to fall off motorbikes or crash rally cars, they'd use it to have a baby)
Old 22 Oct 2012, 07:31 (Ref:3155739)   #67
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Don't remember Vanina doing DTM-maybe breifly and an inferior car? Rahl Frey currently quicker than Susie in DTM.I think poor Maria has been well discussed?
Old 22 Oct 2012, 08:43 (Ref:3155770)   #68
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Don't remember Vanina doing DTM-maybe breifly and an inferior car? ........
2006 and 07 in an A4...
Old 24 Oct 2012, 04:10 (Ref:3156840)   #69
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IIRC Claudia Hurtgen showed great potential until she was injured in F3(?)

She's appeared from time to time doing good stuff, but F1's obviously not going to be an option now.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 10:00 (Ref:3156914)   #70
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
You're wondering, are you?
Old 24 Oct 2012, 10:18 (Ref:3156923)   #71
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post

I would back Danica anytime against some of the notables currently propping up the last row of the grid and trying their luck on Fridays ...

Not the best I'd hope from a woman, but competent in current terms anyway.

I'd also like to see Susie Wolff given a test!
Old 24 Oct 2012, 11:04 (Ref:3156951)   #72
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I would back Danica anytime against some of the notables currently propping up the last row of the grid and trying their luck on Fridays ...

I quite agree. What I admire about Danica is that she has NOT put F1 as the be all and end all of her ambition.

To paraphrase Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry "A woman's gotta know her limitations..." Why be maybe 20th on the grid and a pay driver in F1 when you can be a star in another series? She knows what level her talent is at and there's no shame in that. It's a good thing.

The fact is that she is without doubt a very talented driver, she's won an Indy car race, is currently not exactly showing herself up amongst the men on probably the toughest rough and tumble series in the world, and making the sort of living most of us can only dream about.

As for Susie, yes, let her test in the "young driver" event. Then she'll be able to take a rational decision.....
Old 24 Oct 2012, 12:04 (Ref:3156978)   #73
QnickFTW
Racer

QnickFTW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reading thru this thread would take longer than her actual test took
Old 24 Oct 2012, 12:20 (Ref:3156986)   #74
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction Junction View Post
IIRC Claudia Hurtgen showed great potential until she was injured in F3(?).
Hand injury after rolling her car, I think.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 13:59 (Ref:3157020)   #75
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:

I'm sure that Danica would compare quite favourably, the point i'm trying to make is/was that other drivers did a better job in the series she was racing in so would maybe more worthy of a chance first?

What we need is a woman to dominate a certain series and blow her male counterparts away then there would be no arguement.