Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 30 Mar 2014, 14:38 (Ref:3386611)   #26
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So is JPM fat then? Or have we resorted to stereotype?

I assume he is just slow because he is old and out of single seaters for ages.

Will he get better is the question. All comes down to motivation, and I am not sure the fire burns inside him in recent years.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 15:05 (Ref:3386616)   #27
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
So is JPM fat then? Or have we resorted to stereotype?

I assume he is just slow because he is old and out of single seaters for ages.

Will he get better is the question. All comes down to motivation, and I am not sure the fire burns inside him in recent years.
Montoya's physical condition was 'deteriorating' during his NASCAR years which started showing in both his own size and results and on his Twitter account in the past has admitted his love for McDonald's and other fast food. He apparently lost a load of weight over the off-season in preparation but he's still rather pudgy for single seaters.

Keep in mind Tony Stewart had to drop a load of weight and ended up looking like a different man just to fit in an F1 car.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 17:11 (Ref:3386697)   #28
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is hopefully going to be my first season following Indy Car all the way through.

Glad to see Sato on pole.

I have watched St. Petersburg before and am looking forward to it.

Sad as an F1 fan to see JPM down in 18th.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 18:46 (Ref:3386739)   #29
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Half expected Montoya to come back like Zanardi came back, struggle for pace having gone off the boil, having struggled in other series. That said, it's very early in the season, the first race hasn't even started yet.

I'm happy enough with the season ahead, I'm just not particularly bothered to post much on it.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 19:23 (Ref:3386762)   #30
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
First DNF of the season: Mario Andretti
Old 30 Mar 2014, 19:31 (Ref:3386766)   #31
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just got the start of the race and I thought it looked a little scrappy.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 19:46 (Ref:3386770)   #32
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nice stop by Pagenaud, caught Montoya napping as they botth came out of the pits.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 20:02 (Ref:3386778)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
That was a bit of a moment there, with Power's overtake. Power did catch Sato quickly after his stop.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 21:03 (Ref:3386804)   #34
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well, wtf was that...
Old 30 Mar 2014, 21:06 (Ref:3386806)   #35
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Will Power being an idiot again ...
Old 30 Mar 2014, 21:37 (Ref:3386823)   #36
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
"Great job Will! ...Still, you have some explanation to do..."

Too bad about Montoya and Bourdais...
Old 30 Mar 2014, 22:38 (Ref:3386845)   #37
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Unfortunately, I missed just over half the race as the feed went down and had to resort to the IndyCar web site.

Congrats to Power, it would seem he drove in his inimitable style. I'll just have to watch the highlights on IndyCar's YouTube channel.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 23:15 (Ref:3386858)   #38
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure what to make of that crash, that's a rule they'll need ironed out by next race! Power stated that he didn't brake, but he still lifted on the straight.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 00:21 (Ref:3386878)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
Not sure what to make of that crash, that's a rule they'll need ironed out by next race! Power stated that he didn't brake, but he still lifted on the straight.
I missed this incident; 'hopefuly' they'll include it in the highlights. It would be interesting to see it in the context of penalties; something that's being talked about here as an aftermath of the Malaysian GP.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 00:42 (Ref:3386886)   #40
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll eat some crow here.

I made many posts in this forum last year regarding dumping double file restarts because of the amount of incidents they caused but they found a way to cock up the first single file restart of the season. Think Power should take most of the blame for this one, as it looks like everyone went but him. Even he admitted that he lifted, but he also stated that he was confused. Pretty ugly, but thankfully, they got the next one right and that was the only ugly part of the event.

And Will can flat out get it done on road/street circuits. Decent start to the season, IMO.

I am officially a Newgarden fan. Hope he can get a win this year.

As for JPM, he had a Danica like day for his first attempt in an OW car in 8 years. I suspect he'll have pace by the year's end.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 01:23 (Ref:3386893)   #41
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Good race. There weren't as many passed as I'd prefer, but still it was fine.

Ganassi, Penske and Andretti seem the top teams again, but not all their drivers.

About the first restart, I believe Power's comments. It seems that the marshall drew out the green before Power reached the initial mark they had set. He was waiting to reach it, then found the green unexpectedly.

Power reacted by keeping cruising, the mid pack saw the green (or didn't) and throttled down, then chaos began.

It was a minor mistake by the marshall, but it obviously affected the race. I can't really complain, sometimes these things happen.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 03:40 (Ref:3386917)   #42
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought this was the best race of the weekend. There were some pretty good battles all race. Im putting most of the blame for the restart incident on the flagman as the replay from behind shows he dropped the green too soon. It doesn't really matter though cause it only took out andretti and the bloody hell kid, so who cares.

Montoya did about like expected. He had to qualify in the rain which I'm sure has been a long time.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 07:12 (Ref:3386942)   #43
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
The start/re-start procedure does need looking at.

In both instances, the chaps at the back just boot it off the hairpin. Graham Rahal's 'fantastic' start was, in my opinion, a jump start. As the green flew, he was doing 20mph+ more than everyone infront of him....

As for the restart, seemed to be a bit of confusion. Power may have lifted slightly, but he was waiting for the line while everyone from 10th on back just exited the hairpin at racing speed, you could see that coming a mile off.

Overall, not a classic race, but impressed with the glimmers of wheel to wheel and that they lasted 60odd laps of green before that caution. The level is rising!
Old 31 Mar 2014, 09:39 (Ref:3386979)   #44
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Decent race on the whole. Power drove well, but the restart incident all looked a bit unnecessary.

I was disappointed to see Sato slip down and sadly Montoya was poor as expected, but I guess it was only his first race back.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 09:43 (Ref:3386981)   #45
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aki13 View Post
Montoya was poor as expected, but I guess it was only his first race back.
He was giving the whole "It's a learning weekend...." shtick, which is fine, but he's got to be careful not to let that mindset slip to 5 races, then first half of the season, the the whole season. Bad mindset.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 11:13 (Ref:3387015)   #46
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
JPM will be fine in a few races..
Old 31 Mar 2014, 12:44 (Ref:3387041)   #47
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I also thought Allen Bestwick did a good job on the coverage as he obviously did his homework. Some of his former colleagues could learn something from that.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 16:55 (Ref:3387115)   #48
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
The start/re-start procedure does need looking at.

In both instances, the chaps at the back just boot it off the hairpin. Graham Rahal's 'fantastic' start was, in my opinion, a jump start. As the green flew, he was doing 20mph+ more than everyone infront of him....
Exactly. Rahal should have been penalized, he totally cheated at the start.
Old 31 Mar 2014, 17:45 (Ref:3387124)   #49
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I also thought Allen Bestwick did a good job on the coverage as he obviously did his homework. Some of his former colleagues could learn something from that.
He was a huge step forward and had obviously done his homework on the history of the sport and the new regulations. The whole crew kept mentioning the technology angle. Hearing Paul Page on Indycar Radio for the practices was nice too. Derrick Walker as the competition director is a step in the right direction and won't back down on the aero kits despite the whining of the owners. Verizon is an excited title sponsor. It feels great to have the season under way, I feel more positive than I have in years about Indycar. Watching towards the end of the race it really struck me the quality and depth of driving talent on the grid. Not too many undeserving ride buyers.