Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jan 2004, 01:53 (Ref:855882)   #26
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
From Toyota's perspective they have a very reliable and experienced driver in Panis. He's not the fastest guy on the grid, but why force him out for a guy like DC who's not any faster? I could see that with Ralf, but why would Ralf leave Williams for 2005?
Panis is reliable, but he's not a winner like DC. DC has proven that he can win.

Toyota needs to start stepping out now. DaMatta is a future star, no doubt, but holding onto Panis because he's reliable is not enough. Toyota needs to make a statement, and Panis is not the guy to do it.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 03:04 (Ref:855919)   #27
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Debatable, but Panis WAS a race winner...

Panis is also pretty quick in the Mclaren, and reliable. And considering the time DC spent in top quality cars, it would be really strange if DC din't win races...
Old 30 Jan 2004, 03:14 (Ref:855922)   #28
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my view Toyota would be better off with DaMatta and Briscoe, but if taking Ralf means that there is a seat at Williams for Webber, then I'm all for it
Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:35 (Ref:855961)   #29
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let me put it to you this way, if MS pariticipated in another high level race series (never in F1) would DC be a better driver? Car != Driver. If you rank the drivers purely on ability DC should not have had anywhere near the success he has enjoyed. If Toyota needs to make a statement DC is no improvement in that department. DC would be a move sideways. Given Panis' integration with the team it wouldn't be worth it.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:52 (Ref:855969)   #30
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I actually don't see Panis retiring at the end of the season, unless he has a shocker or is fired. He seems to me to be close to his peak and more motivated than ever. So unless da Matta goes, i don't see much change at Toyota at the moment.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 05:08 (Ref:855971)   #31
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I know your a big fan of Toyota Neil, so maybe you can tell me why they have kept Panis for this year? Was it strictly contractual, or do they really like him?

Personally, I think Toyota is wasting another year with him in there seat, but thats only MHO...
A big fan of Toyota , blasphemy!!!

Maybe its because Toyota likes to pick up all the drivers that raced in Hondas before... who knows
Old 30 Jan 2004, 09:52 (Ref:856158)   #32
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Pit_Lane_Babe

I have also heard that BMW have said that they would like to keep a German driver in the seat for next season.
So, unless they find someone new who can match Ralf's driving skills, Mr. Williams will not want to let Ralf go so easily.
BMW and Williams have extended their partnership till the end of 2009, if Frank decides to get rid of Rafe, there is nothing BMW can do about it. Unless of course, BMW stipulated that Rafe stay until the end of 09, which i think is very unlikely

Last edited by Mr V; 30 Jan 2004 at 10:02.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 10:21 (Ref:856191)   #33
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As long as Ralf no longer takes up a competitive Williams seat, I don't give a rats ass where he goes.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 11:59 (Ref:856272)   #34
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the German driver issue, it's commonly overlooked that both Nico Rosberg and Nelsinho have German mothers - in fact Nico doesn't speak any other language fluently.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 12:27 (Ref:856292)   #35
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure that it simply boils down to a case of why would Ralf want to leave Williams, it's more to do with why would Williams want to keep Ralf, other than just keeping a bit of continuity while they get someone ace in to replace Monster?!

My view is that with Montoya going, Williams is a little peed off and of the two they always wanted to keep the Colombian.

Williams won't have any hesitation in replacing Ralf as they already know of at least five or six guys (not including several not even in F1 yet) who could do as good and probably better job for lot less salary!! Williams can probably get 2 new drivers:
An ace and a budding ace for what they pay him!!

RS has had his chances and he simply does not warrant a seat with a top team any longer, he is too inconsistent.

I'd like to see him remain in F1 with another team though, just to see if it spurs him on a bit?
Old 1 Feb 2004, 14:12 (Ref:858927)   #36
Joe Machado
Rookie

Joe Machado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Da Matta and Dixon at Toyota next year? If Cristiano delivers on his promise I think Toyota would bring another of their US champions to the grid. Rumor is that RS is asking $15 Million and I see no reason why he would be worth this much. I believe DC would be a all around better choice.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 04:10 (Ref:859697)   #37
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't imagine why Willi and Ralf felt their position was strengthened with JP leaving, especially considering Franks attitude when it comes to demanding drivers. His loyalty is to his team, as it should be. I am almost certain he is now p.o.'ed enough to let him go, I also suspect that he had as much to do with suspending talks as Ralf and Willi did.

So who gets the drives? Gene? Pizzonia? Webber? (I feel Renault is more likely for him). If Ralf does end up at Toyota, I'll be disappointed.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 08:02 (Ref:859783)   #38
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah im of the opinion that Webber is more likely to be in a Renualt then a Williams but it all depends on when Jarno Trulli gets fired really. Williams will go for Gene over Webber i feel, well for 2005 anyway... as WEbber is tied to Jag until the end of then.

Ralf will be at Toyota i have no doubt, as for Briscoe.. When Jordan and Minadi bow out this season there will be 3 car teams so he will be racing soon enough

-jason
Old 2 Feb 2004, 20:33 (Ref:860582)   #39
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Nelsinho's mother Dutch, not German?

Ooh... Trust on Jordan means...