Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Jul 2011, 07:19 (Ref:2925878)   #1
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Drayson & Lola to build all electric prototype

I put this in the rumours thread, but I think it deserves its own thread so:

Quote from Press Release

"Lola and Drayson Racing announce electric race car collaboration
Lola Cars International Ltd and Drayson Racing Technologies LLP today announce the formation of an official partnership that will initially deliver an all-electric prototype race car, the Lola-Drayson B12/69EV. Lola Cars will have responsibility for developing the racing car chassis and Drayson Racing will have responsibility for developing the electric drivetrain.
The new project aims to fast-track the development of a range of new and next generation technologies including an all-electric drivetrain and sustainably sourced composite parts for the B12/69EV. These technologies will present a number of key opportunities to drive commercially viable innovation into many industries looking to improve energy efficiency and performance, such as aerospace, automotive, defence, renewables and of course motorsport.

The Lola-Drayson will be showcased during the last quarter of this year at a public test session where the aim will be to evidence the high performance of the electric powered race car on-track and to make public the innovative technologies being developed on the car. The ultimate goal of the Lola-Drayson partnership is to deliver an all-electric race car for the planned 2013 FIA electric car championship.
Additional information will be unveiled to the media at the Lola Technology Showcase Day at Lola on Wednesday 7th September 2011.
Martin Birrane, Executive Chairman, Lola Group "This is a very exciting and challenging project and Lola are pleased to welcome Drayson Racing to this unique partnership. I have known Lord Paul Drayson for some time now and I am aware of his many successes as a science entrepreneur in the UK. The team at Lola are looking forward to delivering this and many other innovative programmes."
Robin Brundle, Managing Director of Lola Cars International Ltd "This joint technology showcase programme will truly evidence the technical excellence that exists within Lola. We are delighted to work with Drayson Racing and on this very exciting and multi-industry led programme. You cannot fail to be impressed with the full range of new technology that will be used in this first project which will demonstrate performance in a different class."

Lord Paul Drayson, Managing Partner of Drayson Racing Technologies "This project aims to tap into the huge demand from high tech industry for innovative new technologies that improve vehicle performance and sustainability. The Lola-Drayson B12/69EV will act as a racing laboratory, catalysing technology innovation and driving commercial application in the automotive and related industries.”'
Old 13 Jul 2011, 07:24 (Ref:2925882)   #2
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks good. If they improve electric technologies for both road car and race car use, then this is the best way to do it.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 07:56 (Ref:2925890)   #3
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
The ultimate goal of the Lola-Drayson partnership is to deliver an all-electric race car for the planned 2013 FIA electric car championship.
That's the interesting part. Anyone know any details about this?

I had a feeling that the announcement was about Drayson and a Lola electric car (well, just a chassis from Lola's perspective). It looks like I was right. Anyway, maybe GreenGT and Courage will have some competition. I know the Drayson car won't be ready to race next year, but still, the best we could come up with for the 56th garage next year is the Delta Wing?
Old 13 Jul 2011, 08:20 (Ref:2925896)   #4
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
That's the interesting part. Anyone know any details about this?

I had a feeling that the announcement was about Drayson and a Lola electric car (well, just a chassis from Lola's perspective). It looks like I was right. Anyway, maybe GreenGT and Courage will have some competition. I know the Drayson car won't be ready to race next year, but still, the best we could come up with for the 56th garage next year is the Delta Wing?
If Drayson and Lola pull this together, I can definitely see them as contenders for the 56th garage beyond next year if the ACO continue with it
Re: the Delta Wing I can't help wondering if the ACO have been impressed more by the names involved (Dayton/Highcroft, Gurney/AAR etc) than the car itself- as a few people have suggested, apart from the off-the-wall concept of the chassis, it doesn't really offer much that's new- the basic idea of a lighter, smaller-engined prototype is pretty old hat...
Old 13 Jul 2011, 08:25 (Ref:2925899)   #5
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it's going to race in then LMP ranks then this is really exciting. If it's just going to obliterate the competition in some series no one will watch then it's not.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 08:46 (Ref:2925908)   #6
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
If it's going to race in then LMP ranks then this is really exciting. If it's just going to obliterate the competition in some series no one will watch then it's not.
Hopefully once they've proven the car in the FIA electric car series, they'll look at stepping up to something more high-profile like a '56th garage' entry for LM- Given Drayson's background in ACO racing, I wouldn't be too surprised by that
Old 13 Jul 2011, 08:57 (Ref:2925910)   #7
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Re: the Delta Wing I can't help wondering if the ACO have been impressed more by the names involved (Dayton/Highcroft, Gurney/AAR etc) than the car itself- as a few people have suggested, apart from the off-the-wall concept of the chassis, it doesn't really offer much that's new- the basic idea of a lighter, smaller-engined prototype is pretty old hat...
The names are a big deal I think. Also, it's probably the most likely of the three contenders (GreenGT and Courage) to actually be ready with something remotely competitive and reliable by next year. Green GT seems to have an actual product, but the performance and reliability of it is probably still questionable. I don't know the progress of the Courage. The Delta Wing is a regular old ICE in an odd chassis. There's nothing really all that remarkable about it from a green technology perspective especially considering we had hybrids this year and that thing probably won't even be hybrid. Finally, I think Panoz talked the ACO into allowing the Delta Wing. He stands to make money off this through his businesses.

Anyway, I'll give Drayson credit for putting his money where his mouth is in regard to all this green racing stuff. I have no idea what this FIA Electric Car Championship is going to be about, but it sounds like it'll be the racing version of the WNBA. Maybe I'm just being a bit too pessimistic about it. Maybe it will rekindle the spirit of the early auto races, but I don't think it'll get nearly the amount of awe and attention.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2925932)   #8
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Anyway, I'll give Drayson credit for putting his money where his mouth is in regard to all this green racing stuff. I have no idea what this FIA Electric Car Championship is going to be about, but it sounds like it'll be the racing version of the WNBA. Maybe I'm just being a bit too pessimistic about it. Maybe it will rekindle the spirit of the early auto races, but I don't think it'll get nearly the amount of awe and attention.
As you say, the FIA Electric Car series is probably not going to be particularly high-profile- although I think there's been some talk of manufacturer interest (Mitsubishi IIRC?) That's one reason I think Drayson might ultimately look at Le Mans again- I suspect the EV Cup (the original plan for this year, but the start of the series seems to have been postponed to a couple of late-season races in the USA
http://www.evcup.com/EVCUP-English/race-schedule-2) and this new FIA series might be OK to get the project up and running, but he'll ultimately want to look at something more ambitious

It'll be interesting to see what chassis they use- whether it'll be a derivative of the existing Lola LMP family, or something designed specifically for the Electric series- I guess it'll depend on what the FIA regulations lay down. IIRC his original plans for the EV Cup involved Westfield's 'iRACER' concept
http://www.evcup.com/uploads/images/...oud_iRACER.jpg
Old 13 Jul 2011, 10:12 (Ref:2925937)   #9
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So this is the 'massive' Lola news we we're waiting for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Lola Cars International Ltd and Drayson Racing Technologies LLP today announce the formation of an official partnership that will initially deliver an all-electric prototype race car, the Lola-Drayson B12/69EV.

Quote:
The ultimate goal of the Lola-Drayson partnership is to deliver an all-electric race car for the planned 2013 FIA electric car championship.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 10:16 (Ref:2925940)   #10
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Hopefully once they've proven the car in the FIA electric car series, they'll look at stepping up to something more high-profile like a '56th garage' entry for LM- Given Drayson's background in ACO racing, I wouldn't be too surprised by that
I'm expecting this FIA championship to be another sprint series, it's pretty obvious that you can't compete for 24 hours (let alone 6 hours?) with electric power an batteries only. So I wouldn't be so sure about that LM entry
Old 13 Jul 2011, 10:19 (Ref:2925944)   #11
AGD
Veteran

Quote:

It'll be interesting to see what chassis they use- whether it'll be a derivative of the existing Lola LMP family, or something designed specifically for the Electric series-
I wonder if we can assume anything given that it has a /60 series name. Maybe it is based on the Lola LMP1 Coupe? I'm sure it will be quite modified though. It'll be interesting to see what kind of technology this thing uses. Swappable batteries? Fuel cells? We'll find out soon enough I guess, although things like this do have a tendency to become paper projects.

On a related note, Scott Atherton was talking about electric cars just yesterday. He said that there could be an electric car series that runs with ALMS weekends as support events I guess. He says a couple of manufacturers are interested in the topic. Then again, Atherton says a lot of things.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 11:40 (Ref:2925968)   #12
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, I was actually stupid enough to be excited about this. I guess the Westfield iracer (or whatever it was called) in the EVCup is not working out for the Lord. I really hope Cocker isnt stuck and finds a good ride in sports car racing, or even open wheel, because what a great talent he is.

Last edited by FordCosworthPanoz; 13 Jul 2011 at 11:46.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 13:27 (Ref:2926030)   #13
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It would have been nice to see a picture or sketch or something with this announcement.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 15:08 (Ref:2926089)   #14
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
An all electric racing series? This sounds almost as exciting as the Jetta TDi series.... almost.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 15:15 (Ref:2926091)   #15
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
An all electric racing series? This sounds almost as exciting as the Jetta TDi series.... almost.
What ever happened to that series? I remember watching it at Mosport and it was as dull as standing by the roadside in a college town.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 17:03 (Ref:2926128)   #16
dsegs
Rookie

European Union
Delft, NL
dsegs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I heard this I assumed it would race in one of the Le Mans series, which would be awesome... Are you saying it'll only race in an electric car championship?
Old 13 Jul 2011, 17:19 (Ref:2926137)   #17
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
What ever happened to that series? I remember watching it at Mosport and it was as dull as standing by the roadside in a college town.
offtopic: I liked the TDI series, nice and entertaining in the rain at Road Atlanta a few years ago!

It is weird though that the FIA hasn't made a big announcement regarding an electric series. or have they and i missed it?
Old 13 Jul 2011, 19:45 (Ref:2926201)   #18
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsegs View Post
Are you saying it'll only race in an electric car championship?
That is indeed what the announcement states.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2926207)   #19
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry Mr Drayson but it's Le Mans or GTFO for me.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 20:59 (Ref:2926233)   #20
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
I really hope Cocker isnt stuck and finds a good ride in sports car racing, or even open wheel, because what a great talent he is.
Has he ever raced in single seaters?? Why assume he has the talent.

Has this topic anything to do with Le Mans? It's just a (currently0 non-exsistent electric series.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 21:14 (Ref:2926238)   #21
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel View Post
Has he ever raced in single seaters?? Why assume he has the talent.

Has this topic anything to do with Le Mans? It's just a (currently0 non-exsistent electric series.
And???????? What does that have to do with anything, he has talent driving a sports car. If Cocker has shown he can race in sports cars, then give him a ride in sports cars. By that logic we cant assume that Sebastien Loeb or Jimmie Johnson has any talent, mind you some F1 fans probably think that.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 22:27 (Ref:2926264)   #22
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I wonder if we can assume anything given that it has a /60 series name. Maybe it is based on the Lola LMP1 Coupe? I'm sure it will be quite modified though. It'll be interesting to see what kind of technology this thing uses. Swappable batteries? Fuel cells? We'll find out soon enough I guess, although things like this do have a tendency to become paper projects.

On a related note, Scott Atherton was talking about electric cars just yesterday. He said that there could be an electric car series that runs with ALMS weekends as support events I guess. He says a couple of manufacturers are interested in the topic. Then again, Atherton says a lot of things.
Recently read about "liquid fuel for electric cars" @ http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/08/m...electric-cars/ it'd be the way to go
Old 14 Jul 2011, 09:59 (Ref:2926435)   #23
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Electric car series? Why would anyone watch that? Buy a scalextric set, you'll have more fun and you'll probably make more noise.

I'm sorry, but I draw the line at full electric power. Le Mans wouldn't be the place it is without the noise of the cars. If it was ever and all electric-race, I'd give up on it I think. Might as well watch horse racing...

Good luck to Drayson with the entry, I love the team - but I really, really hope this doesn't catch on.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 06:30 (Ref:2926926)   #24
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be very interesting to see how much time Lola-Drayson will need to re-charge the car during LM24.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 06:38 (Ref:2926930)   #25
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
It will be very interesting to see how much time Lola-Drayson will need to re-charge the car during LM24.

I would expect they have more than one set and just change the packs when its in the pits.

I would be amazed if the tech is at a stage where an all electric car could run in the main race and set a realistic pace. If it is good luck to them and it will bring more variety to the race.