Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Sep 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2954666)   #26
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
It's not the circuit's fault that the one end of the pitlane is built effectively below ground? Whose fault is it then?
I think that Victor was only talking about the order of the teams in the pits.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2954669)   #27
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles lives! View Post
Fortunately, I've been going to Silverstone long enough to know what to expect, so none of the drawbacks really upset me that much. I still believe the new layout has improved the spectacle and will be back next year .
I have been going to Silverstone since the late 1980's and whilst a lot of money has been spent on the circuit, very little of it benefits the paying spectator.

The grandstands are still temporary structures, would a premier league football ground be allowed to have temporary stands? All the circuit has done is take the grandstand from the old pit straight and put it at club corner. These stands whilst covered do little or nothing to protect the spectator from the wind, so the spectator can see the sun shining but is still freezing to death and struggling to turn the pages of the programme.

I know there is talk of a new grandstand opposite the pitlane but do you really think that a standard admission ticket will get you a seat there, without paying a premium to upgrade your ticket.

Silverstone claims to be a world class venue but the experience of the paying spectator is hardly that. Silverstone needs to give the paying spectator a wow experience and it fails to deliver that, and shows little sign of improving in the future.

This is the 21st century and Silverstone is still a 20th century venue.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 20:14 (Ref:2954672)   #28
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having read all the previous posts, my opinions for what it's worth...
As working media, along with the teams we had to park behind the old pits/medical centre and catch a bus to and from the media centre in "The wing". The bus was often over crowded and would not stop/pick up at any places other then the designated stops. Cannot understand why parking wasn't available closer, there is a huge runway 100 yards away.
Apparently phase 2 ? includes revised parking closer to the new pits and importantly a tunnel/bridge from the wing to the outside of the circuit. As a previous poster pointed out there was no access from the grid to the outside of the circuit, whether you were a guest on the grid or a photographer.
Other than the above and a few comments in previous posts I feel the circuit has improved and the pit facilities are light years ahead of the old complex.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 20:20 (Ref:2954676)   #29
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
The grandstands are still temporary structures
Think this is actually to do with Business Rates
Old 12 Sep 2011, 20:22 (Ref:2954677)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Fortunately, I've been going to Silverstone long enough to know what to expect, so none of the drawbacks really upset me that much. I still believe the new layout has improved the spectacle and will be back next year .

Well I'm with you. My ticket outlay for the weekend was £25. I sat in 3 different grandstands for nothing extra - and Copse was absolutely fine for me - more than fine - the view was so superb I would have shelled out money for it if I'd needed to. I'd dressed for the weather and wasn't cold in there - but was in Becketts a little later on. That was my fault for not having a better coat on. I also walked a fair few miles. I'm 54 and overweight too so not having a bus to jump on probably did me a little good! I had a great weekend. Yes, the facilities could be better, particularly the food (my interest in which is generally why I'm overweight... ), but bring circuits into the 21st century and I'm not 100% convinced I'd be happier.....
Old 12 Sep 2011, 20:32 (Ref:2954685)   #31
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imagine you are a family with 2 young children, firstly it would cost you a small fortune to get in but that would be no surprise to most families.

It would certainly be a hard day pushing a buggy containing young infant on cinder car parks, uneven ground around the grandstands and then having to load all the belongings onto an overcrowded bus for a 2 mile drive, instead of a disabled friendly tunnel, so the little ones can get a balloon or an autograph from the paddock.

I would certainly not do it and look to take my family elsewhere regardless of how much I wanted to watch the race.

If you don't make the experience something special then the families and future motorsport fans are going to be put off. I know the wife/girlfriend might not be too enthused about a day out 'watching cars driving round in circles' but if it means spending time as a family then it has to be worth shelling out hard earned cash for.

Last edited by mark_l; 12 Sep 2011 at 20:37.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 20:34 (Ref:2954688)   #32
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Imagine if they brought Le Mans into the 21st century!

Or maybe I should never go to Le Mans again because the parking it a bit pants Joke - I accept that we should say when things could be better, but I ain't going to miss something because of some of these things. Why should I lose out because of it?
Old 12 Sep 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2954689)   #33
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'll take the bleachers, open paddock, and virtually non-existent chain-link of Road America any day over what some of these "21st Century venues" offer! I need to get back up there for the racing, and some bratwurst!
Old 12 Sep 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2954699)   #34
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did enjoy viewing from luffield1, at the same level as the cars and only a couple of feet from the barriers. Just in front of the tv screen.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 21:33 (Ref:2954715)   #35
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a marshal, the new layout has created some great new/improved posts (Vale, Farm, Village, The Loop) and killed some others (Woodcote, National Pit Straight (was Ped Bridge), Luffield Centre) plus we've lost Abbey, Priory & Bridge. It can be very confusing when both pits are used-we never know which pit lane the cars will go into during & after the races.

The Wing is a fantastic building and really needed to be built to keep the circuit moving forward. There are a few teething problems, which I won't go into here, but I'm sure they will be ironed out soon. The circuit does take on board what we suggest & things are changed for the better. We're getting shelters put on all the posts soon (hopefully in time for the 24hr!) and flag posts have been moved.

It's still work in progress, so let's give it time.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 21:58 (Ref:2954722)   #36
T600
Rookie

England
Norfolk
T600 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, I've been going to Silverstone regularly since the early 80s and must say I love the new circuit. Been 4 times now since the new pits opened, the first time was a bit of a shock to the system and actually a bit disorientating, but now I've seen what it offers I wouldn't want the old circuit back. I must agree though that there was a lot less catering vans around at the weekend for some reason.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2954732)   #37
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Imagine you are a family with 2 young children, firstly it would cost you a small fortune to get in but that would be no surprise to most families.
Mmm, we paid £41 for two adults and two 15 year old boys, that's got to be good value for entertainment lasting from 9am around to 5.30 pm ?
To me it was the quickest 6 hours of racing that I've seen in a long time !
Old 13 Sep 2011, 07:08 (Ref:2954826)   #38
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Mmm, we paid £41 for two adults and two 15 year old boys, that's got to be good value for entertainment lasting from 9am around to 5.30 pm ?
Yep, it represents terrific value for money. Sensible pricing has long been an ACO tradition, long may it continue.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 07:26 (Ref:2954835)   #39
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
To me it was the quickest 6 hours of racing that I've seen in a long time !
Yes - I paid £25 for a full days entertainment for myself and 2 kids - where else do kids under 16 get in for free?

I agree that the food quality was poor and could so easily be so much better. You only have to go to Goodwood to see how much better quality a burger van can be

Definitely need a crossing point near the wing but a little bird tells me that is on the plans for the future.

Biggest waste of money would have been paying £5 upgrade for a few select grandstands. I would have been really p***ed off if I had paid for that especially on the pit straight where the free grandstand could see the big screen but the paid one could not!
Old 13 Sep 2011, 09:43 (Ref:2954896)   #40
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I have been going to Silverstone since the late 1980's and whilst a lot of money has been spent on the circuit, very little of it benefits the paying spectator.

The grandstands are still temporary structures, would a premier league football ground be allowed to have temporary stands? All the circuit has done is take the grandstand from the old pit straight and put it at club corner. These stands whilst covered do little or nothing to protect the spectator from the wind, so the spectator can see the sun shining but is still freezing to death and struggling to turn the pages of the programme.
Is there a circuit in Britain that would provide better facilities as well as being a great venue for an endurance race? Compared to the only other UK circuit to have hosted an LMS race, Silverstone feels like royalty. I say that despite Donington being far easier for me to get to.

Yes, improvements do need to be made but for a long race like this I think you'll have a better time at Silverstone than anywhere else in Britain.

Racing circuits are generally in wide open spaces, and are open to the elements. They've always been cold places and I'm not sure how that can be changed just by building a permanent grandstand? You'll still be cold!
Old 13 Sep 2011, 11:44 (Ref:2954929)   #41
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I'm pretty sure Rockingham suffers from wind, and rain, and cold? Bear in mind I have NEVER been there...
Sillystone is, as said, a Work in Progress. Those complaining now, should have been there April last year, for FIA GT. NO grandstands, a sea of mud (I heard of one building worker who just sank into a piling tube through the mud...), and next to nothing on the catering front. Yes, we had the new track, but the rest was a MESS.
It's getting better. Relax.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 13:13 (Ref:2954960)   #42
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been to Rockingham and it's not got anything that Silverstone hasn't (unless an unused oval is considered a positive).

Access is horrible, you can see most of the circuit from the stand, but in the same way you can see The Stones at Wembley Stadium; from a great distance and the stands are open, so you're exposed to everything the weather offers up.

The car parking is rough ground (was where I parked anyway) and the food and drink facilities were expensive and limited.

All that said, I try to avoid eating at Silverstone if I can avoid, prefering to buy some basic food in the supermarket and carrying it around with me. My total food bill came to less than £5 on Sunday and was a lot tastier and healthier than anything I suspect was on offer (And that included a £2.50 ice cream I bought in the afternoon).

I'm not sure where everyone else was during the race, but I never put my coat on all day, being warm enough in a t-shirt and thin cotton jumper - At times I even rolled my sleeves up!

Silverstone's never been my favourite circuit (in fact, it's one of my least favourite), but I think the changes afford more overtaking opportunities and some great spectating spots (and even a few photography spots not plagued with fencing!).

I never found the 'stalls' area unless it was the couple near the BMW stand near what was Bridge, I didn't even bother venturing to the paddock behind the Wing as it was clearly miles from the track and, like an earlier poster, I was a bit disgruntled to find there were no programmes left at 9:30 on Sunday... (although it probably saved me a fiver that I didn't need to spend).

I'd rather go to Donnington or Brands to watch sportscars, but I doubt that'll ever happen, so I have to visit Silverstone for an affordable meeting and I think Silverstone's a better track now, even if it lacks some of the drama of the pre-90's track, with its awesomely fast corners - Not a meeting goes past these days when I don't stand near the end of the Hangar Straight and wonder at how SLOW the cars seem compared to the Group C racers of the late 80s (ah nostalgia, it's not what it was is it? ).

M
Old 13 Sep 2011, 14:54 (Ref:2954989)   #43
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Just back from a terrific weekend of racing at Silverstone. I'd be interested to know the opinions of those who attended with regard to the new layout/facilities from a specatator's point of view and from those who were working (media/team member/circuit staff/driver/marshall).

It was a very different experience from previous years!

Cheers,
James
I was talkin with a friend of mine , who I usually go to Le Mans with , he was at Silverstone . He said that from the grandstand , you cant see the cars in the pits anymore ?

Is that a fact Mr.B please ?
Old 13 Sep 2011, 14:55 (Ref:2954990)   #44
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I'm pretty sure Rockingham suffers from wind
Yeah ..... so Im not alone then !!!
Old 13 Sep 2011, 15:37 (Ref:2955004)   #45
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm pretty sure Rockingham suffers from wind, and rain, and cold? Bear in mind I have NEVER been there...
Sillystone is, as said, a Work in Progress. Those complaining now, should have been there April last year, for FIA GT. NO grandstands, a sea of mud (I heard of one building worker who just sank into a piling tube through the mud...), and next to nothing on the catering front. Yes, we had the new track, but the rest was a MESS.
GT1 in 2010 was ridiculous. The mud, weather and lack of food vans was an utter joke.

Anyway here are a few points I wish to make regarding LMS.

The ticket prices were fair and good, used a discount code so race day tickets were £18 each which is a fantastic price for a days racing. The wing is superb as is the new paddock. The circuit layout is very good as well, I will admit I miss bridge corner but the quick abbey curve makes up for it. The racing was superb, seems the ACO have listened to fans because the cars were louder than last year and sounded better as a result (especially the Krohn 430.) The big TV's were a god send as well, good darts by the circuit for putting those up.

The biggest problem is getting to the new paddock, I won't say anymore on that because what I would say has been said by god knows how many. The old paddock is quite odd, I'm used to it being heaving there but it was dead. I feel maybe some sort of entertainment center, amusement section in the old paddock would be a bit of a coup. Maybe even turn the old pit garages into a museum of some variety.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2955021)   #46
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I was there for that meeting. Woodcote B used to be my favourite stand (could see the final complex of corners, the pits and usually a big screen), I was almost heartbroken to discover it was in pieces at that race meeting! Was a health and safety nightmare if ever I've seen one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosgt View Post
I have been to Rockingham and it's not got anything that Silverstone hasn't (unless an unused oval is considered a positive).

Access is horrible, you can see most of the circuit from the stand, but in the same way you can see The Stones at Wembley Stadium; from a great distance and the stands are open, so you're exposed to everything the weather offers up.
Rockingham is ok in its own little way, I saw Britcar there a couple of years ago and enjoyed my day (which was thankfully hot and sunny), the layout of the facilities is rather different to other circuits, for some races it may be a bad experience, for some others it might work - but I wouldn't want to see any international endurance races there. The traffic issues would be horrific (the A43 is nice for a quiet Sunday drive, definitely not for 40,000 racing fans!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice View Post
The racing was superb, seems the ACO have listened to fans because the cars were louder than last year and sounded better as a result (especially the Krohn 430.)
I actually thought the ACO had tightened the reigns on that one even more this year, but the 458s, ZR1 and certainly the Krohn car were a pleasant surprise when I turned up on Saturday morning!
Old 13 Sep 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2955046)   #47
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

I loved the new circuit. I absolutely love it.

I couldn't find a bad view on the circuit (Copse, maybe?), and so many corners provide some real excitement - the Loop and Vale in particular.

Another HUGE bonus was the patch at club where there is no catch fencing - excellent for photographs, that.

The Wing is an incredible structure and it really makes the pit straight feel like a proper pit straight. I disagree with those who say the Wing will look out of date in 10 years time - the Le Mans Starship Enterprise and the pits balcony are now 20 years old, and they're still mightily impressive.

The lack of food places and the sold-out programmes were my only annoyances. I'm not sure what an airfield circuit like Silverstone is supposed to do about the wind, especially after a hurricane in the Atlantic!?

And about the grandstands - it's not Silverstone's fault they have to deal with a mardy County Council who won't give them planning permission. And besides - how many covered granstands are there on the UK's circuits? When it's raining, I'd much rather be at Silverstone than Brands!

The 24 Hours will be epic around that circuit. I plea for every endurance racing fan to make an appearance - the circuit will look spectacular at night.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2955085)   #48
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I heard of one building worker who just sank into a piling tube through the mud...
That was actually a marshal!
Old 13 Sep 2011, 19:06 (Ref:2955086)   #49
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I was talkin with a friend of mine , who I usually go to Le Mans with , he was at Silverstone . He said that from the grandstand , you cant see the cars in the pits anymore ?

Is that a fact Mr.B please ?
From the current grandstands, you can only see about half of the pit garages (due to the track rising on the straight & the pit lane being level). We have been told that the new stands will be higher so all of the garages will be visible.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 19:20 (Ref:2955092)   #50
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the correction, Stephen, you're right. Were you one of those considering sailing on Abbey Lake that weekend?