Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 10 Mar 2017, 05:33 (Ref:3717675)   #51
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have not been to Sebring yet but St.Pattys Day
at Sebring sounds dangerous. Ya'll have fun but pace
yourselves so you don't sleep away the 12hr. In other words,
just keep it to 2qts of hooch instead of 3.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 14:35 (Ref:3717781)   #52
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
at Sebring sounds dangerous.
Ya'll have fun but pace
Yeah, the 'Irish army' is ferocious!
Old 11 Mar 2017, 23:07 (Ref:3718074)   #53
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will really appreciate the slightly cooler weather, if the forecast turns out to be accurate.

Anything worth seeing in the town of Sebring? I'm not staying there, so just wondering if it's worth having a look at the end of one of the days.
Old 12 Mar 2017, 00:24 (Ref:3718085)   #54
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
Will really appreciate the slightly cooler weather, if the forecast turns out to be accurate.

Anything worth seeing in the town of Sebring? I'm not staying there, so just wondering if it's worth having a look at the end of one of the days.
I'll be honest. I don't think there's not much in central FLA to visit. There's some swamps, lakes, oranges and fires.

Old 12 Mar 2017, 00:32 (Ref:3718087)   #55
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I'll be honest. I don't think there's not much in central FLA to visit. There's some swamps, lakes, oranges and fires.

Thanks, that's very much the impression I've had
Old 12 Mar 2017, 00:37 (Ref:3718089)   #56
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Thanks, that's very much the impression I've had
I've only passed through so I'm not one to talk. Especially with such poor grammar.
Old 12 Mar 2017, 12:28 (Ref:3718164)   #57
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
at Sebring sounds dangerous. Ya'll have fun but pace
I do presume you mean per hour...

Then...

jimclark
Old 13 Mar 2017, 06:07 (Ref:3718300)   #58
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

A few things I think are worth doing:

Drive around the little downtown circle which is called Circle Park Drive. Not much to do here but it's a neat little downtown area to see and this is where they used to have the race car inspections in the 50's and 60's before driving the cars to the track.

Stop by Chicane's Restaurant Bar which is located at the Inn On The Lakes. The food's kind of pricey but good and if you sit by a window you'll have a good view of the lake. But mainly check out the bar area which has tons of old pictures from the races up on the walls. Plus a lot of the teams stay here so you'll always see crew guys hanging out. Like one year I sat at the bar next to Doug Fehan and noticed Franz Konrad was at the next table over.

At least one of the days drive to the track via Kenilworth Blvd./Airport Rd. so you can drive directly through the orange groves and smell the freshly blooming orange blossoms.
Old 13 Mar 2017, 08:19 (Ref:3718317)   #59
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmmm. The last time I was in old downtown was in the 80s.

http://downtownsebring.org/

Is the little "cat" restaurant/diner still there? (iirc, on the E.S.E. "corner" of the circle)

Last edited by jimclark; 13 Mar 2017 at 08:38.

jimclark
Old 13 Mar 2017, 14:35 (Ref:3718379)   #60
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
That's mega info, thanks!

Flying out tomorrow
Old 13 Mar 2017, 16:34 (Ref:3718391)   #61
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Here's something annoying:

If you go to the Sebring website and look at 2017 tentative schedule you will see a short list of things for Wednesday. One of those (the last for Wednesday) is listed as a track walk for 90 minutes. From memory it seemed that the competitor track walk was only listed on the very detailed schedules that showed things like load in times, chapel service times, lunch schedule, various race track minutiae things.

So, when I read this on a listing that only shows the on track activities it leads me to believe that perhaps this means that this is a public track walk, and that gets me very excited. Excited enough that I will leave my house extra early on Wednesday for my ten hour drive so that I can get there in time for it. (I remember doing a public track walk at Mosport once and it was fantastic, made me wish that all tracks did it)

So today I call the raceway and talk with someone there. Here's a basic transcript from memory of our conversation:

Person answering the phone (PATW):
Hello, Sebring International Raceway how can I help you?

Me:
Hello, I hope you are having a nice day. I have a question about something on the schedule for Wednesday. It says that you have a track walk scheduled, is this open to the public?

PATW:
I'm not sure, do you mind holding so I can get an answer?
*Puts me on hold*

PATW:
There is no track walk, you must be looking at the wrong schedule, where did you see this?

Me:
I saw it on your website.

PATW:
No, that is not on our website.

Me:
It is, I am looking at it right now.

PATW:
Well you must be looking at the wrong thing, there is no track walk. Look for the schedule on our website.

Me:
Yes, the schedule on your website says there is a track walk.

PATW:
No it does not.

Me:
Okay. Thanks for your time.
*Obviously did not feel like arguing*

What do you all make of this? Does anyone else feel like calling and trying to get an answer? Does anyone know where we can get the old proper schedule?
Old 13 Mar 2017, 17:24 (Ref:3718396)   #62
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Well it's still there for all to see!

https://sebringraceway.com/sebring-e...dule-of-events

https://sebringraceway.com/images/20...t-schedule.pdf

I suspect it's best asking somebody at the time, although that's obviously not much help for you when you're driving down.
Old 13 Mar 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3718408)   #63
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Safe travels, fergus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
A few things I think are worth doing:

Drive around the little downtown circle which is called Circle Park Drive. Not much to do here but it's a neat little downtown area to see and this is where they used to have the race car inspections in the 50's and 60's before driving the cars to the track.

Stop by Chicane's Restaurant Bar which is located at the Inn On The Lakes. The food's kind of pricey but good and if you sit by a window you'll have a good view of the lake. But mainly check out the bar area which has tons of old pictures from the races up on the walls. Plus a lot of the teams stay here so you'll always see crew guys hanging out. Like one year I sat at the bar next to Doug Fehan and noticed Franz Konrad was at the next table over.

At least one of the days drive to the track via Kenilworth Blvd./Airport Rd. so you can drive directly through the orange groves and smell the freshly blooming orange blossoms.
See? Lakes and oranges.

Orange Blossoms!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecp-nD5aXIs

That's cool info about the DT circle. Didn't realize that. And I've driven past the lake restaurant every year I've been. Maybe we'll stop this time!
Old 13 Mar 2017, 19:39 (Ref:3718422)   #64
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
scottypinthemix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you're unfortunate enough to have to work...

Raise your hand if you'll be completely useless at the job tomorrow

Old 13 Mar 2017, 20:14 (Ref:3718432)   #65
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Here's something annoying:

If you go to the Sebring website and look at 2017 tentative schedule you will see a short list of things for Wednesday. One of those (the last for Wednesday) is listed as a track walk for 90 minutes. From memory it seemed that the competitor track walk was only listed on the very detailed schedules that showed things like load in times, chapel service times, lunch schedule, various race track minutiae things.

So, when I read this on a listing that only shows the on track activities it leads me to believe that perhaps this means that this is a public track walk, and that gets me very excited. Excited enough that I will leave my house extra early on Wednesday for my ten hour drive so that I can get there in time for it. (I remember doing a public track walk at Mosport once and it was fantastic, made me wish that all tracks did it)

So today I call the raceway and talk with someone there. Here's a basic transcript from memory of our conversation:

Person answering the phone (PATW):
Hello, Sebring International Raceway how can I help you?

Me:
Hello, I hope you are having a nice day. I have a question about something on the schedule for Wednesday. It says that you have a track walk scheduled, is this open to the public?

PATW:
I'm not sure, do you mind holding so I can get an answer?
*Puts me on hold*

PATW:
There is no track walk, you must be looking at the wrong schedule, where did you see this?

Me:
I saw it on your website.

PATW:
No, that is not on our website.

Me:
It is, I am looking at it right now.

PATW:
Well you must be looking at the wrong thing, there is no track walk. Look for the schedule on our website.

Me:
Yes, the schedule on your website says there is a track walk.

PATW:
No it does not.

Me:
Okay. Thanks for your time.
*Obviously did not feel like arguing*

What do you all make of this? Does anyone else feel like calling and trying to get an answer? Does anyone know where we can get the old proper schedule?
I think they have a track walk every year, just for the competitors which is what I'm sure this is. I don't know how it ended up on their schedule for fans, and neither do they apparently, but I would almost guarantee the track walk is not for the public.
Old 13 Mar 2017, 20:21 (Ref:3718437)   #66
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottypinthemix View Post
If you're unfortunate enough to have to work...

Raise your hand if you'll be completely useless at the job tomorrow

Working on that now. I am working Wednesday as well......
Old 13 Mar 2017, 22:52 (Ref:3718469)   #67
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Safe travels, fergus!
Thanks!
Old 15 Mar 2017, 01:15 (Ref:3718692)   #68
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Safe travels to everyone! Weather is looking great *knocking on wood*

Hope to be Southbound and down this time tomorrow night. I am too tired to pack so I'll have a Guinness to see if that "helps" anything.
Old 16 Mar 2017, 00:09 (Ref:3718919)   #69
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Day one impressions:

Sebring is special.
Some of the people are special 😂

Great experience, bring on tomorrow.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 04:40 (Ref:3719270)   #70
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Quote:
Day one impressions:

Sebring is special.

There's some special people there alright. Especially after the sun sets.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 15:15 (Ref:3719390)   #71
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Although it's a little cool here at the old airfield, it's a beautiful day to be at the track and not at the office. We did get into the sauce a bit too much last night, but these things happen in Green Park.

I'm a bit peeved that they've removed all porta lits from Green Park. Keeps me hovering close to the comfort station.
Quote:
Day one impressions:

Sebring is special.

It's a bit "controlled" this year, but there's still some silliness and silly people. Wouldn't be the same without it!
Old 17 Mar 2017, 19:55 (Ref:3719461)   #72
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Although it's a little cool here at the old airfield, it's a beautiful day to be at the track and not at the office. We did get into the sauce a bit too much last night, but these things happen in Green Park.
Do you have a favorite spot to camp there like Petit?
Which which part of the track will you be hanging on the fence the most?
Old 20 Mar 2017, 16:27 (Ref:3720227)   #73
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Do you have a favorite spot to camp there like Petit?
Which which part of the track will you be hanging on the fence the most?
Since we don't get there until well after the first comers get there, we've always camped in Green Park close to the hairpin as we can get.

There was a big screen in the hairpin that worked at least at the end of the race that was nice - could see it from our campsite but other than the hairpin, we wander to T10, which is good for people watching as much as the race, T3 is great, outside of Gurney/Big Bend are all great. Wish I had the energy to make it to the backside of the circuit. Say i'll do it every year, but once again, didn't make it...
Old 20 Mar 2017, 23:25 (Ref:3720305)   #74
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
I guess being young helps me, I was able to lap the circuit a few times from Wednesday to Saturday. No idea how many steps I did in total but I certainly felt it after each day. Sunday was tough for me until the evening rolled around, I'm not great in the heat so it was a long day until then!

I quite enjoyed watching at the hairpin- such a simple corner but great to watch the cars hard on the brakes then powerslide on exit. Good in the races too, not a lot of passing but when it does happen it quite often ends up with some wheel-banging.

Had a lap round the track shortly before the 12 hours, got to say it's a testament to virtual race simulators (thinking of iRacing.com) at how accurate they model the tracks- every bump I felt in person were exactly where I expected them to be thanks to the simulator.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 23:27 (Ref:3720306)   #75
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
As for the spectator experience- wow, for a major event that's the best I've ever experienced. No traffic, parking was easy as anything (and you're not miles from the car), even on race day it surprised me how easy it all was. Some great viewing points around the circuit and little in the way of catchfencing to disrupt the view. I got some great footage.