Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 21 Dec 2006, 18:21 (Ref:1796995)   #1
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometune
Have to agree with colin. If you've a reasonable mechanical ability and a driveway it can be done from home. Don't worry about how much X says he spends or how little Y paid for his season, most people seem to use their budget to support some other point they are making in a thread on these forums.

It can be done for very little and if you've almost nothing start in the roadgoing classes of sprints and pick up experience that way.

Hope to see you out there soon.
the problem is i dont have much/any mechanical skill at all, this is were the problem comes in and again i have to get to the track most weekends of the year which is a huge problem because i only work at weekend's.

also i dont have a full time job yet, only a part time job because of being in
6th form, which involves, being bogged down with coursework over the christmas holidays, because you can only work weekends it means you then work over christmas and new year's to cover some birk's going off sick conveniently for the past 6 weekends.

when i was at oulton park for the Tcars and saxmax race meetings last year it looked so damn good, but the motivation i get from my family is "stop dreaming and get in the real world".

but i am looking into motorsport for work experience, i want to work i autosport or help a race team out at the weekends even if its for free, i just want to be a racing driver and like many, my absolute dream is to be thundering down the mulsanne straight at over 200mph in an LMP1 car, lemans 24 hours
Old 21 Dec 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1797041)   #2
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey! You've got the rest of your life ahead of you!

I recall an instructing "customer" when I was at Silverstone a few years back who had the talent, was keen to have a go at racing, was just 18 and had the "Experience" as a gift for passing his A-levels.

He was in the lucky position of being accepted into Uni to study law, and my advice to him was do his degree, get the qualification behind him, a decent job, and then have a go at motorsport. He had no racing background, and no rich daddy to pay for it, so there was no way he was going to become the next Bunson. He would become a competant "Gentleman Racer".

Since his chosen profession will be corporate law, he stands a bit of a chance in pulling some strings in the "old boys network" and getting some sponsorship!

Now, Master Choc-Ice....

I don't know what you're studying in the 6th form, but when you get out of there, get yourself into somewhere like Brookes, or Cranfield, Swansea, or one of the other Uni's that do degrees in Motorsport. You can finish that off with a Masters at Cranfield...... Though there will be plenty who will now add their bit of advice.

Then you'll be technically minded... and in motorsport.... and in a position to earn your fortune.

The choice, as they say, is yours.

Rob.
Old 21 Dec 2006, 23:43 (Ref:1797233)   #3
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
University course and Saturday job in motorsport, split from Cheap Racing, Easy Regs

well im looking at a motorsport technology course in hertford uni, it looks damn good.

a 3 year course and inbetween the 2nd and 3rd year you have a "sandwich year" were you do work experience with a team for a race season, which sounds kick ass basically.

im doing geography, history, english and critical thinking in 6th form.

i am looking at also getting work with a race team maybe at the weekends, i hate my job in next at weekends, its boring, uninspiring and my work colleagues go sick left right and centre at the weekends all the time, basically due to getting bladdered on the friday night.

im looking forward though to doing well, getting a job which i will enjoy with a good income and also, at weekends, going racing hopefully
Old 21 Dec 2006, 23:52 (Ref:1797242)   #4
barry barnes
Racer

England
West Kingsdown, Kent
barry barnes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
well im looking at a motorsport technology course in hertford uni, it looks damn good.

a 3 year course and inbetween the 2nd and 3rd year you have a "sandwich year" were you do work experience with a team for a race season, which sounds kick ass basically.

i am looking at also getting work with a race team maybe at the weekends, i hate my job in next at weekends, its boring, uninspiring and my work colleagues go sick left right and centre at the weekends all the time, basically due to getting bladdered on the friday night.

im looking forward though to doing well, getting a job which i will enjoy with a good income and also, at weekends, going racing hopefully
Wot the hell is Critical Thinking ???????

Old 22 Dec 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1797449)   #5
hometune
Rookie

United Kingdom
essex
hometune should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry barnes
Wot the hell is Critical Thinking ???????

What none of us did before getting bitten by the motorsport bug !!!!
Old 22 Dec 2006, 10:26 (Ref:1797482)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Sorry, but I don't see how your choice of sixth form subjects fits in with your desire to do a technology course. A crucial requirement for success in engineering is a knowledge of, & reasonable competence in, maths. Physics is also desirable - simple Newtonian mechanics applies even to F1 cars!

Nothing personal, but does 'A' level English not teach punctuation nowadays?
Old 22 Dec 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1797686)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I think the critical thinking may have been a waste, because if you think about it critically, you get paid by Next. I don't think you would get any income for work experience for a race team at weekends, let alone a good one.

Your English needs some improvement as well.
This is also a bit off topic so it might get moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Nothing personal, but does 'A' level English not teach punctuation nowadays?
No Dave, that would be primary school.

Last edited by Tim Falce; 22 Dec 2006 at 13:47.
Old 22 Dec 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1797689)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Hey you guys come on this is 2006 now, nearly 2007 and these days you don't have to be able to spell or add up even in an English and Maths test to pass, I remember getting marked down in History and Geography for poor hand writing! Get a job as an apprentice mechanic (road cars) then try to go to Motor sport, thats what I did years ago, then went back to mechanics again because I made more money and could then afford to race!
Old 22 Dec 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1797890)   #9
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Critical Thinking A-Level....

Topics include
How arguments work
Constructing an argument
Evaluating arguments
Putting it all together
Resolution of dilemmas
Critical reasoning

Sounds like a perfect qualification to work in F1. Just needs a couple of extra's....

Back Stabbing
Getting Away with it
Advanced Blagging

Does "Constructing an argument" include "Starting an argument"??

I thought that Maths was a "standard" A-Level - one you have to do because President Blair said so.

English won't matter soon, as the bureaucrats want them to teach a johnny foreigner language starting at primary school. I suggest if they are going to force them, they should teach Gaelic (Highland dialect), and Welsh.

Then our children will be more than happy for their championships to go to Knockhill, Pembrey, and Anglesey!!!!! (you see, critical thinking!)

Best of luck Choc'y ol' boy....

One final question.. where are you in this great sceptred isle of ours? There might be someone who's willing to show you the ropes (spanner operation).
Working for a race team at weekends is a good idea, don't expect any pay, but if you get some, it'll be a bonus. What you're looking for is experience, which is far more valuable than any amount of letters after your name IMHO.
You'd start at the bottom, which would include the "fetch and carry" jobs, together with wheel washing/cleaning, but you'd be on hand to watch and learn.

Rob.
Old 22 Dec 2006, 22:08 (Ref:1797983)   #10
barry barnes
Racer

England
West Kingsdown, Kent
barry barnes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
Best of luck Choc'y ol' boy....

One final question.. where are you in this great sceptred isle of ours? There might be someone who's willing to show you the ropes (spanner operation).
Working for a race team at weekends is a good idea, don't expect any pay, You'd start at the bottom, which would include the "fetch and carry" jobs, together with wheel washing/cleaning, but you'd be on hand to watch and learn.

Rob.
Well if you are serious, can take all the jibes from this load of cynical old bas***** and prepared to get your hands dirty for nothing except experience then you have half a chance of reaching your goal ! - I could do with a hand especially tuning my zimmer frame.

Happy xmas everyone !

Old 24 Dec 2006, 15:02 (Ref:1798766)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
dj - from experience please do maths too - you will definatley need it.

Alternativley give up on A-levels all together and go to the college at Castle Combe - I toured it on Wednesday - its an incredible facility
Old 24 Dec 2006, 15:31 (Ref:1798773)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DJ, I have worked this season for a single seater team who race on 750MC meetings. I did it not for a future career as a mechanic but because I wanted a better understanding of the cars and plan to do at least one race next season and would like to know a little more about what I'm driving!

I wasn't paid and didn't ask to be but did got to visit a new circuit as well as some others (Cadwell was the new one - was too young to remember first time I went there) and had a good time. Doing basics such as oil, fuel and tyres is a good start in my opinion - and three days at Cadwell in the cold and rain getting there for 7am and at least one night leaving at midnight due to damage did give me a new experience!

I had no mechanical understanding before doing it and still have little now but by watching the guys and also doing the basics made me at least feel like I was doing something! And I felt I was learning and better still enjoyed it.

It may be a little harder if you're working PT at weekends but maybe see if there's something else for a few hours a week midweek to still bring some money in? That way would mean you could still go racing too...

Anyway my point is - see what's local to you (not sure where you are or what's around) and offer your services for nothing - even if it is hard work and no reward at least it's some experience on your CV because the A levels you're studying before don't demonstrate anything towards an engineering course or similar.
Old 25 Dec 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1799145)   #13
historicmechy
Rookie

England
Near Snetterton, Norfolk
historicmechy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the way i got into motorsport was to get work experience with a local race team, not expecting to get paid at first, and after a few months they took me on after i finished my ND in Mech. Engineering. I then went on to do a HND in Motorsport Engineering and work there whenever not at College!! Am going to be there full time after that.

Anyways, you really need to be doing somekind of maths based subject. Work really hard and send out as many letters to race teams as you can afford the stamps for (i sent 150 out). But i had also been helping out a local guy who races Minis and rebuilding my first car for experience before i got into where i am now.

Its not easy to get into (i got 3 replies from my 150 letters and only one said yes!) but hard work and applying yourself help a lot.
Anthony
Old 27 Dec 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1800071)   #14
retro_msport
Racer

England
Harlow
retro_msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DJ Choc Ice ... where are you in the country? if that was in your profile then you may get some people thinking.. ' he's only round the corner, he can get the coffee's, push the car etc and we can pick him up on the way through'

That should get you to the track for nothing ... lend a hand and you may get fed ...

As for a car ... get a car and build it up over a few years ... or just enter sprints and hillclimbs as a stepping stone
Old 28 Dec 2006, 09:44 (Ref:1800305)   #15
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
getting involved off your own back is key
Old 28 Dec 2006, 10:27 (Ref:1800342)   #16
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
That's always worked well for me. It "shows initiative" as they say.

Well DJ's made a start - he's asked on here - and he sounded keen enough...

Let's see where he is when he comes back from his Christmas slumbers..

Rob.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1800598)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
indeed. maybe a reading list?
Old 30 Dec 2006, 16:52 (Ref:1801832)   #18
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
well as racing59 put it, im back from my christmas slumbers

well here is a basic profile on me

17 years old
learning to drive
work in next
live in old colwyn, in north wales

unfortunately i feel that were i live is a bit of a problem, im only close to 2 race tracks.

ty-croes and oulton park

then the next closest is donington at around 2-3 hours away

then silverstone 3-4 hours away

the rest are over 4 hours away

furthest away would be snetterton which is around 5 or 6 hours away.

its getting to the further afield race tracks which is a problem i.e brands, snetts, silverstone, knockhill etc etc.

but i am close to oulton and ty-croes and kinda close to donny.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 23:11 (Ref:1802535)   #19
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Where Diz when you need him......
Old 1 Jan 2007, 01:32 (Ref:1802582)   #20
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
First step is to joing your local motor club thats absolutley the no.1 piece of advice I can give you.

Read Racecar Engineering - I don't just say that for reasons of having to I really believe it, most trades have trade magazines and if you are in the trade you should read them and motorsport engineering is no different.

Read up on the subject some of the stuff will go over your head but don't worry it will come, you never ever stop learning.

Your location says to me - don't just focus on racing look at rallying too - no shortage in your neck of the woods. Also don't write off volunteering to help some manx bound crews bikes, karts, cars all will pass by you.
Old 1 Jan 2007, 02:04 (Ref:1802593)   #21
SPBRacing
Rookie

United Kingdom
North West
SPBRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dj choc ice

Sent you an email as you aren't that far from me.
Old 1 Jan 2007, 18:13 (Ref:1802936)   #22
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is a guy I was in Scout's with, he did Automotive Engineering at Oxford Brookes, he got some backing from TWR and did has placement there and the got a job there after graduating before moving on to BAR and then to Renault.
Old 2 Jan 2007, 17:38 (Ref:1803809)   #23
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
First step is to joing your local motor club thats absolutley the no.1 piece of advice I can give you.

Read Racecar Engineering - I don't just say that for reasons of having to I really believe it, most trades have trade magazines and if you are in the trade you should read them and motorsport engineering is no different.

Read up on the subject some of the stuff will go over your head but don't worry it will come, you never ever stop learning.

Your location says to me - don't just focus on racing look at rallying too - no shortage in your neck of the woods. Also don't write off volunteering to help some manx bound crews bikes, karts, cars all will pass by you.
ill look into the motor club but to be honest i have no knowledge of any local motor clubs.

only one i know of is the "old colwyn crew" which is basically a bunch of chavs on the dole with nova's, who go round terrorising other people

there is a lot of rallying round north wales as well ive looked into it already, also i never thought of the manx bound crews and so on needing help, afterall i can see the isle of man from my house on a clear day

ill start ringing round in a few weeks so i can hopefully work for a team instead of next, if i get paid its a big bonus, i dont care about getting paid if i can be close to the sport i love, i will practically do anything!

thanks for all the advice so far btw guys, its been a huge help in pointing me in the right direction and i value it very much, hopefully ill see some of you guys at the track one day
Old 4 Jan 2007, 13:54 (Ref:1806188)   #24
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
there will be a proper local motor club - try this site.

http://www.hayes0.co.uk/WAMC/clubs/clubs.htm

Quote:
i dont care about getting paid if i can be close to the sport i love, i will practically do anything!
thats an excellent attitude to have.

Theres always Glan y gors kart circuit too I think its near Langollen - I went there once during the Astra stages

Hey RDJ who did you know at brookes?

Last edited by ss_collins; 4 Jan 2007 at 13:58.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 17:02 (Ref:1806350)   #25
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
ok i actually found there is a motor club not far from were i live in rhyl, which is about 15-20 minutes away from were i live.

im just wondering how i would go about joining this motorclub?