Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 6 Jun 2007, 14:29 (Ref:1930325)   #1
KAM
Rookie

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
KAM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Career change into motorsport industry?

Rather than interupt the guys thread about wanting to join F1 I thought i'd start my own thread. After many years in a career in the print industry i realised that i just was not enjoying the work. I've been looking at going back and studying a degree again at 29. For a good few years I have enjoyed spannering on cars as a hobby but am looking into taking this further.
I have been in contact with the university of hertfordshire about studying their motorsport engineering course but reading some comments has left me a little worried that this is completely the wrong direction to take. I can't afford to take a mickey mouse degree as I am not in the position to be able to waste time and money.

I really am nervous as I do not totally know the job prospects in the industry and really would like some advice on the type of money that can be earned realistically. I do not expect to be out in some pit garage every weekend working on a million pound car with pit girls bobbing up and down at the entrance (though that would obviously be nice lol). Just working cars i have a passion for will float my boat. I know i'd have to work my arse off to get anywhere but the dream of a hands on job that I actually have a passion for at least forces me to look seriously at this change of career.

Can anyone pass on some nuggets of wisdom?
Old 6 Jun 2007, 15:05 (Ref:1930361)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
If this helps, this is what I did (although things may have changed a bit nowadays).
As a car mad, mechanical engineer I started helping out with a small racing team on a part time, voluntary & un-paid basis, preparing the cars & being a general dogs body.
After a few months, I was offered a full time job, with guaranteed work for only one year. (Single man, living with parents, not a problem).
20 years later, and I'm still here! No longer involved in Motorsport, but many years of great memories and experiences. I wouldn't have changed it for The World (even though the money's not that good! Bear in mind that because we're keen to get involved, money may not have to be the major incentive...)
Whatever happens, good luck mate!
Old 6 Jun 2007, 15:39 (Ref:1930387)   #3
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are no guarantees but if you are not happy where you are now, then I'd look for a change. Sometimes you have to make a sacrifice to get ahead. I always think about where I want to be when I'm 40, 50 etc.
Old 6 Jun 2007, 17:58 (Ref:1930474)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
If you try a career change you might find that it really is what you want. We all get p****d off with our jobs from time to time but the grass is always "greener". If you are financially secure to try something else then do it . You can always go back to what you know, ok I know that things change quickly with modern technology but a mate of mine was headhunted for a job that he had been out of for about 15 years because very few people knew how to operate a certain type of machinery that was still being used, and is getting silly money !

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 6 Jun 2007 at 18:01.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Jun 2007, 18:27 (Ref:1930507)   #5
Jamesd
Racer

Jamesd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HI

How much does a normal motorsport mechanic normally earn does it change a lot from doing F1 to LMS to DTM

College in September doing motorsport
Castle combe helping out again soon cant wait

James
Old 6 Jun 2007, 19:20 (Ref:1930562)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
.....or you can do what I have and start your own printing (and sign) business its not nearly as boring when you are the boss. Then you earn enough money to run your own car for fun! Working for a race team is fun enough but its the same thing I have said to girls like my mates daughter who are horse mad and want to follow a career with them very intelligent girl and just about to start a job for £50 plus living expenses, its damned poorly paid, hard work so why not get a career in a well paid job and buy yourself a horse and have fun at the weekends. Apart from anything else with all this 'carbon footprint' crap floating about in nearly every article or advert you see I think personally the long term prospects in this industry may not be all that rosy.
Old 7 Jun 2007, 08:51 (Ref:1931025)   #7
KAM
Rookie

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
I don't think I have the capital to do something like that Al lol
Got a job for a sulking artworker? - i freelance lol
True i really would love to earn a shed load of money and just ramp up the hobby to having a working racecar and going out and enjoying that but i'm struggling to find that job which inspires me day to day. Like the job I applied for airbrushing lingerie models lmao. Sometimes I think even if the money is pants if you are having fun then life is good which is why I looked at a completely different career.

I did work out how much I would not earn if I decided to go to uni and its a sickening amount lol It would certainly build me a car and a few race seasons of fun!.

Lots of avenues to ponder lol
Old 7 Jun 2007, 13:41 (Ref:1931241)   #8
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAM Racing
I have been in contact with the university of hertfordshire about studying their motorsport engineering course but reading some comments has left me a little worried that this is completely the wrong direction to take. I can't afford to take a mickey mouse degree as I am not in the position to be able to waste time and money.
I take particular exception to the comment at the end of your thread, as I dare say will other graduates from the university of hertfordshire.......let me make this clear to you........in the big wide world of engineering, of which I'm currently well engrossed, as I graduated in 1999 from UH........ if you have a degree from the University of Hertfordshire, this is considered to be one of the best.......they run a TOP formula student team......and have excellent links to the motorsport industry through their motorsports lecturer Geoff Peters, who is a race engine expert in the feild of touring cars and lemans ........did you know that Sergio Rinland is a regular guest lecturer on motorsport engineering?........who the hell is he I hear you say.......ex F1 design engineer for Minardi, Benetton and latterly chief engineer at Sauber about 4/5 years ago, when Nick Heidfeldt was putting the Sauber on the podium.........he would not lecture on a mickey mouse course.

if you enjoy playing with spanners and race cars........go the mechanic route......if you are a tecchy like me, and have a passion for understanding how things work, and refining them to the last few percent, then go for a degree........sounds like you should be a mechanic to me.

Last edited by knighty; 7 Jun 2007 at 13:45.
Old 7 Jun 2007, 14:33 (Ref:1931281)   #9
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
are not the BEST engineers un afraid to get in and fix, build or what ever it takes getting their hands and clothing greasy, to get the job done right and on time.
Old 7 Jun 2007, 15:33 (Ref:1931326)   #10
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
are not the BEST engineers un afraid to get in and fix, build or what ever it takes getting their hands and clothing greasy, to get the job done right and on time.
yes, your quite correct, but thats not the way its done nowdays, thats a mechanics job........I understand what your trying to say, to become a good design engineer you must have an understanding of a mechanics job.......or in otherwords, you must have been a mechanic at one point or another......

fortunatley, I have built/spannered several race cars, both at a club and professional level........and to fund my way through university, I worked part time in a machine shop on lathes, mills, surface grinders etc, and was also a maintenance mechanic at a local factory.......

all too often its the minority that get the majority a bad name........if one graduete is seen as a slacker/pleb......it doesnt do the other graduates any favours........this is the whole idea of formula student, to work as teams, roll your sleeves up and get some practical experience before you even think about wanting to be a design engineer.

as a parting note I will tell you all this.......an engineering degree is a passport into almost any well paid engineering job, its almost an industry standard qualification......... to become a credible engineer, you must have a degree, take a look at the recruiting requirements on any job-site if you dont believe me.
Old 7 Jun 2007, 15:37 (Ref:1931328)   #11
Jamesd
Racer

Jamesd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a big difference between engineers and mechanics pay
Old 7 Jun 2007, 16:00 (Ref:1931341)   #12
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
from my experience, yes........a significant difference.
Old 7 Jun 2007, 16:18 (Ref:1931351)   #13
KAM
Rookie

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
I take particular exception to the comment at the end of your thread, as I dare say will other graduates from the university of hertfordshire.......let me make this clear to you........in the big wide world of engineering, of which I'm currently well engrossed, as I graduated in 1999 from UH........ if you have a degree from the University of Hertfordshire, this is considered to be one of the best.......they run a TOP formula student team......and have excellent links to the motorsport industry through their motorsports lecturer Geoff Peters, who is a race engine expert in the feild of touring cars and lemans ........did you know that Sergio Rinland is a regular guest lecturer on motorsport engineering?........who the hell is he I hear you say.......ex F1 design engineer for Minardi, Benetton and latterly chief engineer at Sauber about 4/5 years ago, when Nick Heidfeldt was putting the Sauber on the podium.........he would not lecture on a mickey mouse course.

if you enjoy playing with spanners and race cars........go the mechanic route......if you are a tecchy like me, and have a passion for understanding how things work, and refining them to the last few percent, then go for a degree........sounds like you should be a mechanic to me.
I'm not saying it is a mickey mouse degree, just that I cannot risk taking one! Sorry to hit a nerve! I've already done a degree which didnt know whether it was an art course or a computer science course and skipped from one to the other without focusing enough so i didnt get what I wanted out of it . I dont want that again and I want a course that is well respected in the industry, and teaches the right skills and understanding to hit the ground running so to speak.
I am currently handy with the spanners but love to get stuck in to the details of how things work. I always ask why something works rather than just accepting it does
Old 7 Jun 2007, 18:58 (Ref:1931469)   #14
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think I know what KAM is on about Knighty when he refers to Mickey Mouse degrees as it sounds like he is basing his experience on degrees in the graphics industry and I have meet so many people including my own daughter that have done this course, think they are going to end up at Sarchi & Sarchi or JWT's on 100k a year when the reality is they are bloody lucky to find a job at a little shop like mine or the local ProntaPrint for not so much a year doing mundane things like van liveries etc. They often then totally disallousioned (like my daughter) move on to something different. I had a guy working part time for me who had a batchelors degree from Brighton University and he told me that nothing he learnt there had any relevance in the real world of the graphics industry. I have met delivery drivers that have done the same course and could not find work in the industry as have some of my daughters friends. Actually my daughter was goingto go to Herfordshire Uni and I had a look around with here and was impressed with the motorsport course as I naturally had a quick peek at the open day.
Old 7 Jun 2007, 19:21 (Ref:1931511)   #15
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Nephew just graduated with a degree in Computer Art graphics. He fell into a few ppl who needed someone to do a small web site for them.

Now he has 12 business that he manages web sites for. Plus he is a graphic artist so he has snazzy web sites for his customers.
Old 7 Jun 2007, 21:55 (Ref:1931742)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thats in America the land of opportunity this is sad old rip off Britain. Having said that natural talent and hardwork will often shine through but you hit the nail on the head, he is doing it for himself not expecting to step into a 100k a year job at a top ad agency.
Old 8 Jun 2007, 07:32 (Ref:1931969)   #17
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
again, I think this is the minority degree course giving the majority of degree courses a bad name.......yes, I agree, many people go into degree courses with rose tinted glasses, and do not realise how much hard work is involved once you have actually got your degree........

I worked in motorsport for free initially, just to get the experience, then my first paid job in motorsport was peanuts, then I got 10% more when I became a design engineer for Mountune, then a 33% rise when I was a design engineer for TWR race engines, then I started contracting in the road car engine design industry 4 years ago........to cut a long story short, I started up my own company 10 months ago and am now earning 3 times what I did when I graduated in 1999.......belive me, I have worked very hard to get where I am now, having a degree does not meen someone is going to offer your new world on a plate, you make your own luck and go for it........heres my web site!

www.knightecengineering.com

Old 8 Jun 2007, 11:57 (Ref:1932209)   #18
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
Good Job Knighty.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 20:13 (Ref:1934350)   #19
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
This weekend while watching the F1 race, the annoucers mentioned that Toyota had 900 employees at their F1 headquarters
Old 11 Jun 2007, 20:35 (Ref:1934366)   #20
PeterGrant
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxford/East Sussex
PeterGrant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats brilliant. SA have what? 150 lol.
Old 13 Jun 2007, 15:26 (Ref:1936014)   #21
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think a lot of people think a degree is a silver bullet and after graduation employers are gagging to get their hands on you. It's only the beginning.
Old 14 Jun 2007, 06:22 (Ref:1936588)   #22
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
When I were a lad (lol) a degree in any engineering dicipline would pretty much guarantee you a decent job, but maybe that's because there weren't that many people getting them. All the folk aiming for a more "hands on" job did apprenticeships and or HND/HNC at polytech. Now the latter mostly seem to call themselves universities and do degree courses. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just that having a degree doesn't have the same meaning as it used to (separating academic from more practical careers).
Old 14 Jun 2007, 06:59 (Ref:1936606)   #23
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
When I was about to leave school we had to see a career's officer. He would then look into your results and decide if you should be a "factory or office"worker. You didn't seem to have a lot of say (how things have changed) and when I was asked what I wanted to do, I said I wanted to be a Movie film cameraman. He looked at me as though I had gone completly mad .
Later on in life I used to do work for the Director of the Star Wars films (who was living near me) and could easily have got a job in the industry doing something. Well I could have made the tea !!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Jun 2007, 08:19 (Ref:1936673)   #24
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's an interesting thing to consider before taking a career change into the motorsport industry. Most of the people that contribute here are fans, some participants, I would imagine very few make their living from the sport... and those who do will tell you that its not for the faint hearted. A friend of mine was the team manager for a champ car team about 7/8 years ago and before that he worked for several F1 teams. His job utterly engulfed his entire life - literally 24x7 with no respite. He told me that his situation was pretty much the norm and that people got 'burnt out' pretty quickly. Needless to say his personal life was in a shambles. At the time it got me thinking as to whether you could have too much of a good thing.

If you're seriously thinking of a career change into the motorsport industry rather than a sabbatical for a year or two, I'd recommend popping along to something like an F3 or BTCC meeting and chatting with some of the guys involved in the teams there to get a sense of what its like... and if it is for you, then see if they could do with some volunteer help, gofers are always in demand, before you commit to a degree course at 29. A change of career may still be a wise thing to do if you're frustrated in design, but maybe motorsport is not the only option.
Old 14 Jun 2007, 08:55 (Ref:1936693)   #25
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Another thing - they say "never mix business with pleasure". If you love motorsport, you may not actually want to work in it. You may find the love you once had for the sport dwindling..