Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Oct 2003, 12:45 (Ref:755864)   #1
Rulekeeper
Racer

Rulekeeper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do people hate Skaife??

1st off this is NOT a bag Skaife Thread. If you want to bag him start your own Thread.

There is no doubt that Mark Skaife is the most disliked driver in the series. But why???
The simple answer is "Tall Poppy Syndrome".
But this is not the case. I personally have disliked the guys mannerisms since he 1st started racing(yes, I am older than him) and most people I know also can't stand the guy, including most true red Holden supporters.
We all know that he has tried extremely hard of late to be nice on TV and come across as a nice , normal, caring human being; it just doesn't seem to be in his nature.
What can MS do to be liked, because to be a true Champion you have to be a Champion on and off the track?? It would be sad to see him fade into the distance once this facade of HRT ownership falls apart.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 12:49 (Ref:755870)   #2
Lyris
Racer

Lyris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately for Skaife first impressions last, and well for too many years those first impressions were nothing short of Crappy.

In years to come (if he lasts long enough that is), maybe the persona that he puts forward now will be the one most dominant in peoples minds, but for now he's just gonna have to suck it up.

Last edited by Lyris; 19 Oct 2003 at 12:55.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 12:53 (Ref:755871)   #3
White Knight

The problem is you see the public image and even indebt, there is that same sympton.

Old 19 Oct 2003, 12:53 (Ref:755872)   #4
Rulekeeper
Racer

Thanks for your opinion Lyris. Do you think that now that MS has lost the edge,in the driving stakes, that his downfall will be quicker than most would imagine??
Old 19 Oct 2003, 12:59 (Ref:755876)   #5
Lyris
Racer

No, I don't even think he's lost the edge as a driver (the competition just finally caught up).

I just think the public have long memory's and it will take a bloody long time (probably double the length he's already been 'round) and a huge effort on his part to erase the damage of the last decade and a half.

And does anyone believe that he'll really stay on top for the next 30years?????
Old 19 Oct 2003, 13:02 (Ref:755879)   #6
Rulekeeper
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Lyris
No, I don't even think he's lost the edge as a driver (the competition just finally caught up).

I just think the public have long memory's and it will take a bloody long time (probably double the length he's already been 'round) and a huge effort on his part to erase the damage of the last decade and a half.

And does anyone believe that he'll really stay on top for the next 30years?????
Well he's no longer on top but he does WIN in the "Highly Geared" stakes.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 13:22 (Ref:755888)   #7
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What can't understand people who have never met the guy or had to deal with say he's arrogant or what not. I personally have had contact with him way back in 1994 when I was an accreditated photographer (freelance Motorsport News). I went on a ride with him in the Winfield car. 2 days later he spotted me and we had a good laugh about me Sh#tting myself. He was a true gentelman and very proffessional. And as recently at Bathurst I was talking with my brother on the phone, (he was at Bathurst) and went up to Skaifey only an hour before the race and asked he would say hello to me on the phone and he said yes. He spoke to me for a couple of minutes which I was absolutely thrilled with. If he was such and arrogant person then he would've told my brother to p off. No matter what everyone else thinks I think he's fantastic and a nice guy. And before you all say that I just follow him cause he's been dominant over the last few years that's not true, I started following him back in 1990-91 when he was just starting at Nissan. Everyone is entitled to there opinion but I just thought that it was time to give my opinion on my idol.
PS - I expect a lot of grilling going on what people think of him here on this forum.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 13:28 (Ref:755897)   #8
Lyris
Racer

This thread is not for grilling Scott.

I'm glad you had positive experiences with him, I on the other hand have not. It's that simple.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 13:32 (Ref:755900)   #9
White Knight

Gotta agree with Scott as I have had infrequent dealings with him dating back to his Laser series days.

Old 19 Oct 2003, 13:32 (Ref:755902)   #10
Scott75
Veteran

I suppose Lyris I'm a bit biased but when I suppose you get an idol it's very hard to see the other side of someone where other people can (bad side), it happens in all sports.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 13:33 (Ref:755904)   #11
Scott75
Veteran

Thanks White Knight!
Old 19 Oct 2003, 13:37 (Ref:755910)   #12
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Why do people hate Skaife??

Quote:
Originally posted by Rulekeeper
We all know that he has tried extremely hard of late to be nice on TV and come across as a nice , normal, caring human being; it just doesn't seem to be in his nature.
What can MS do to be liked, because to be a true Champion you have to be a Champion on and off the track?? It would be sad to see him fade into the distance once this facade of HRT ownership falls apart.
I can assure you it is perfectly in his nature! I have met him plenty of times over the past couple of years and I have never met a more modest, caring, genuine man on the face of this planet. No other driver in the paddock goes out of their way to remember my name and greet me with a hug like he does.

The trouble is, it's not till you see him a few times and open yourself up to him that he shows his true colours to you. He is actually very shy person at heart, and he doesn't like to wear his heart on his sleeve like Ingall or Murph do.

What does he have to do? I think honesty and openess is a start. His book was a great read, it really got people reading about what the guy is really about. I'd love to see him do an online version on his website or perhaps a coloumn in a newspaper or something or just release another book. I have a feeling another is on the cards for next year.

And he certainly hasn't lost the driving edge, look at the way he hunted down the lead for the first five laps of Bathurst, or how he patiently waited for Rusty to make a mistake and then breezed past both him and Perkins!

And thank you for posting this sensible thread rulekeeper, I had begun to think you were a complete loser, but maybe there's still hope
Old 19 Oct 2003, 13:40 (Ref:755914)   #13
Lyris
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott75
I suppose Lyris I'm a bit biased but when I suppose you get an idol it's very hard to see the other side of someone where other people can (bad side), it happens in all sports.
Te he he, I tend to get a bit that way 'bout one Craig Lowndes actually

Just ask my friends, they're all very careful 'bout what they say in relations to Lowndes when I'm in earshot.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 13:40 (Ref:755915)   #14
Scott75
Veteran

Wizzby we should start our own Skaife fanclub. I'm sure where not the only Skaife fans out there. It's something that I would really like to do.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 13:41 (Ref:755917)   #15
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
I actually have one And I'm working on a website for it
Old 19 Oct 2003, 13:43 (Ref:755922)   #16
Lyris
Racer

I thought he already had an offical like fan club???? (and no I don't mean club1)

And Wizzby, um I know you're a one eyed Skaife fan and all, but would you please at least acknowledge that there are people out there who have had some very bad experiences with him??????
Old 19 Oct 2003, 13:45 (Ref:755924)   #17
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Yeah okay so there are, and I've had bad experiences with a lot of drivers as well, but I don't go around calling them ********s or what have you just because one person happened to catch them at a bad time either.

And no I'm pretty sure he doesn't have an official fan club...
Old 19 Oct 2003, 13:45 (Ref:755925)   #18
Scott75
Veteran

The way I am, people who don't even watch Motrsport or the V8's at all ask me how Skaife went on the weekend. My best mate never followed the V8's until he knew me now says to me, Skaife went well on the weekend before I've said anything. It's quite funny actually.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 13:49 (Ref:755931)   #19
Scott75
Veteran

Wizzyby let me know the web address when you've got it going as I've got images of Skaifey driving the Winfield car to his Sega if you would want to post them. But unfortunately I don't have a scanner but I could send them to you.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 13:51 (Ref:755934)   #20
Lyris
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Wizzby
Yeah okay so there are, and I've had bad experiences with a lot of drivers as well, but I don't go around calling them ********s or what have you just because one person happened to catch them at a bad time either.
Unfortunately for me it wasn't just one bad experience, thanx
Old 19 Oct 2003, 13:55 (Ref:755939)   #21
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Scott, I've been trying to PM you, but whenever I click for your profile it's freezing up. Mail me, wizzby@iinet.net.au, I'll give you the club email.

And Lyris, I understand that but like I've said, I think some of the drivers out there are the biggest pr&*ks on the face of the planet, but I don't slag them off in public forums in respect to their fans. I'd appreciate it if you could do the same.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 14:00 (Ref:755949)   #22
Scott75
Veteran

Wizzby I've sent you an email.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 14:02 (Ref:755953)   #23
Lyris
Racer

Wizzby, you seem to have missed something here (or should I say you've seen something that isn't).

I'm NOT slagging him off, if I were YOU'D know it that's for sure.

(I gave that habbit up, negativity is bad for my health apparently.)

I have though, indicated that there is a negative side to Skaife persona, and although it rears its head less and less frequently, it has done enough damage that its effects will last for a long time to come.

Last edited by Lyris; 19 Oct 2003 at 14:12.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 14:07 (Ref:755959)   #24
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
It certainly is, which is why I try to see the best in everyone...

And I think you'll understand why I get my back up everytime the words Skaife and hate are in the same sentence
Old 19 Oct 2003, 14:13 (Ref:755977)   #25
Lyris
Racer

I've stronger words than hate for you, but hey we are not turning this into a slag fest
Closed Thread