Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 10 Apr 2001, 08:12 (Ref:79153)   #1
Sarah_I
Rookie

Sarah_I should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone have any views?
Old 10 Apr 2001, 14:17 (Ref:79239)   #2
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Courtney, after all his experience driving FFords there and being one of the most talented drivers ever he is sure to win
Old 11 Apr 2001, 13:26 (Ref:79459)   #3
farcnield

Oh i`m not too sure about that one!! Maybe Avanti will amaze everyone again, with both Davies and Milos driving.
Judging times from testing, i think more shock defeats for the big guns are on the table again!!
I`m sure Courtney will however put up a good fight, and watch out for Sato and Spence!

Old 11 Apr 2001, 15:27 (Ref:79511)   #4
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd reckon on Sato, Courtney, Davies and Bruni being there or there abouts. And Matt Gilmore in the Scholarship class
Old 12 Apr 2001, 07:45 (Ref:79751)   #5
LHR
Rookie

LHR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Matt Gilmore.

An empty talent with luck on his side.

I think Robbie Kerr will make up for last time.

As for Courtney, it depends on where he qualifies, as demonstrated by his ninth place finish in the second race, which many people (the JC fan club?) seem to have 'overlooked' in the race reports.

What about Jamie Spence? He was in pole for race one, so he's obviously on the pace.

Does anyone know if Davies got the money for Snet?
Old 12 Apr 2001, 10:19 (Ref:79770)   #6
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by LHR
Matt Gilmore.

An empty talent with luck on his side.

At Silverstone, 2 wins, 2 fastest laps, 2 mature drives to stay out of trouble and pick up maximum points. He may not be future World Champion material, but who in the scholarship class is?

I agree that Robbie should be right up there too.
Old 12 Apr 2001, 11:09 (Ref:79779)   #7
farcnield

Yes you`ll see Matt there, along with Milos, should be an interesting weekend. I do believe though that there may be some big shunts at Snett, as people try to resurect there career fromm falling depths, having not done as well as they were expected!

Old 12 Apr 2001, 12:12 (Ref:79792)   #8
dienekes
Rookie

dienekes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
quote: He may not be future World Champion material, but who in the scholarship class is?

----------------

Marshal, that's some crystal ball you must have there!

I was wondering how you can tell before they have a proper chance to prove themselves yet?
Old 12 Apr 2001, 12:20 (Ref:79795)   #9
Marshal
Veteran

Opinions are great aren't they? And I've been wrong many times in the past. But just occasionally I'm right.

If someone has blistering talent you can usual tell in their first two seasons of racing, IMO (Just as well considering Jenson and Kimi's progress).
Old 12 Apr 2001, 13:20 (Ref:79801)   #10
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by farcnield
as people try to resurect there career fromm falling depths, having not done as well as they were expected!
may i just ask..........like who???????? whose career is in falling depths?????
Old 12 Apr 2001, 14:08 (Ref:79814)   #11
LHR
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Marshal

If someone has blistering talent you can usual tell in their first two seasons of racing, IMO (Just as well considering Jenson and Kimi's progress).
Jenson and Kimi have more slick managment and matey sponsorship behind them than sheer talent.

Case in point: Craig Murray - sorry to keep going on about him (fellow Scot, that's all )- but not only did he blow James Courtney away in FF, but he also beat his team mate at Haywood, Jenson, to the first step of the podium on several occasions, notably in most of the Eurpoean Championship rounds.

But Jenson has a face that fits, and good manager, whereas someone with raw talent such as Craig is struggling to fund races in B class F3 because he doesn't have a manager with the right connections. And he's not mates with Mika Hakkinen (like Kimi).

So really, in motorsport these days talent means zilch, marketing is everything.

As for blistering talent, Matthew Gilmore was handed pole in the first race because of Robbie's fuel irregularities, and luck has meant he has had a consistent record. I still don't rate him, because I know that the competition in last year's Juniors was poor.

I'd like to see Robbie or Craig doing something good this year.

Even Mark Mayall. Just not Gilmore. *yawns*
Old 12 Apr 2001, 19:58 (Ref:79890)   #12
farcnield

You`ve got to be kidding!! TALENT MEANS ZILCH!!!
I guess you are a driver then!
If Kimi isn`t talented i take it as just fluke his ability to drive a F1 car on the limit as quickly as he has done. Not a bad year for him so far.

Jenson hes been a professional driver since the age of 11!!
His ability to drive on the limit consistently lap after lap is a true talent! have you ever seen his testing lap times, with 5/100ths diff over 15 laps!!

Yes these drivers have a lot of good management behind them, but why should that make them bad drivers, it just increases teams and peoples awaremness of their talent! Don`t forget motorsport is a sport driven and paid for in the majority, by company brand management tactics used to captivate and alter peoples perception of those company brands!
If drivers recognise this and adapt themseleves to be more applicable to that roll good on them. As far as being friendly with the right people, who you are friends with is due to your own personality and social skills, you can hardly hold that against a driver!

People can feel ****ed off by seeing young drivers landing F1 drives and cheap F3 deals, but it would be bad judgement to allow jealousy or personal dislikes to mould opinions!

Farc.

Old 13 Apr 2001, 08:42 (Ref:80089)   #13
LHR
Rookie

I don't think I said that good management made them bad drivers, just that they're not necessarily the best out there.

Good for Jenson being 'professional' since 11. But put him in an average car, and where does he finish? 15th, 17th? Either it's a case of the car's the star in F1, or maybe Jenson's just a very lucky boy, whose was in the right place at the right time ( ie, at a dinner table with his manager and Martin Brundle).

I think Kimi does have a rare talent, but the influencing factor of his mate Mika is probably stronger.

What I'm saying is that a lot of fuss is made over certain drivers in the media, that has absolutely nothing to do with their individual talents - Priaulx, Davidson, are prime examples.

Gary Paffet was Autosport Young Driver, and he won the Scholarship - Jenson didn't even win an F3 championship - and yet where is he now?

It's all media hype.