Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Sep 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1703464)   #51
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All good comments guys and a little bit contentious; excellent!

Race 7 was for the Glover Trophy, and as Alan Brown has said saw a great dice for the lead between poleman, Duncan Dayton and fellow front row man, Bobby Rahal, both in Brabham BT11s. Rahal had the lead for much of the early part of the race but Dayton eased in front eventually. In his attempts to retake the lead, Bobby made an error and crossed the line 3.6 seconds behind. These two were in a class of their own, both recording best laps nearly 2 seconds clear of the next best. Richard Attwood qualified 4th, but in his usual laid back manner dropped back a few places at the start. Equally usual was his consummate drive back to 3rd place although he could make no impression on the leaders. A very good drive from James Hanson in the Scirocco-BRM netted him an excellent 4th and close to Attwood.

After deleting most of the rubbish pics I took of this race, I find that I have very few left and those aren't that good either. However, here is Mike Wanty in his Lotus 24. He finished 10th:-

David Clark drove his BRM P57, the oldest car in the race, to 17th:-

Michael Fitzgerald brought his Lola-Climax Mk4 into 5th place. The hidden car may be that of Robs Lamplough. He qualified 4th but finished 6th and was very close to Fitzgerald at the end:-

Full results here:-
http://www.msttiming.com/result.asp?...d=goodwood.gif
Old 6 Sep 2006, 19:01 (Ref:1703616)   #52
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 8 was the Freddie March Memorial Trophy for cars in the spirit of the Goodwood Nine hours 1952-55. More lovely cars, none more stunning than the Derek Hill driven Alfa Romeo 3000CM which took pole and eventually won the race, from an inspired Nigel Webb in the C-Type. Johnny Herbert qualified the Austin Healey 100S, 2nd which was way above where that car should have been and I think some harboured thoughts that the wet conditions presented him with a chance of outright victory; no chance, frankly, and he did extremely well to finish 6th. Jochen Mass drove superbly as ever and took the Lancia D24 from 5th on the grid to 3rd with fastest lap. However, it was the dice at the front that held our attention, since although Webb had qualified the C-type 3rd, I don't think he was expected to keep Derek Hill honest but he did more than that and in a demon start took the lead off the start. Hill took awhile to get passed but never had a lead he could sit on and he won by 2.8 seconds, a margin larger than it had been for much of the race. I took several pictures of the Alfa on its own but all have been hit by the delete button. Same problem as for the last race, so just 3 poor pics again I'm afraid. The first shows the leaders coming through St Mary's:-

The 9th place Aston DB3S of Urs Muller and the Allard J2X of Tom Walker which failed to finish:-

The RGS Atalanta of Barry Wood, which finished 13th:-
Old 6 Sep 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1703762)   #53
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a great weekend Post 3 at Madgwick out was a great place to watch historic racing cars. I thoroughly enjoyed all 3 days, but I would like to see some more different classes, with 64-66 F3 cars, perhaps a true period TT (say '62) with small GT cars as well as the big ones. This year though the Freddie March Trophy and the Sussex Trophy were absolutely brilliant, with Gounon being the star of the meeting. Seeing 2 Lancia D50's racing each other wasalso an absolute highlight.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1703769)   #54
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
the Allard J2X of Tom Walker which failed to finish:-
I'm not sure why he failed to finish but if I were asked to guess I'd say he chewed out the rear tyres steaming out of Lavants in enormous highspeed power slides lap after lap.. Brilliant to watch!!

Derek Hill and the 3000CM were great in the adverse conditions, smooth just like all winning race cars.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1704521)   #55
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Apologies to those expecting further updates today; I've had a number of distractions! Service will be resumed sometime tomorrow along, I hope, with better pics from me!

In the meantime, Autosport has given this event good coverage. 2 double page spread report from Marcus Pye, comments from both Nigel Roebuck and Marcus (in his own Humble Pye column), and several other relevant news items and pictures in the National section of the mag.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 07:41 (Ref:1704790)   #56
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Terrible news from down under. Peter Brock who raced at the revival last week has died, taking part in a rally down there.
http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.a...E23770,00.html

See the tributes forum. RIP Peter.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 08:00 (Ref:1704817)   #57
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Terrible news from down under. Peter Brock who raced at the revival last week has died, taking part in a rally down there.
http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.a...E23770,00.html

See the tributes forum. RIP Peter.
yes I had just read that too - very sad, especially after seeing him in action this time last week
Old 8 Sep 2006, 09:46 (Ref:1704959)   #58
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Andrew, Simon; it's absolutely right to mention this here since Saturday at Goodwood was Peter's last race. It's absolutely dreadful news.

Now yesterday moring, I put up some more paddock picture from Sunday morning, but the post got eradicated following the forum outage, discussed elsewhere. So before I move onto the races, I'll reinstate them here:-

Old 8 Sep 2006, 09:52 (Ref:1704962)   #59
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes it is dreadful news, although Sunday was his last race in the Stingray in the TT was it not? Don't have a programme to hand.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 10:34 (Ref:1704996)   #60
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Yes it is dreadful news, although Sunday was his last race in the Stingray in the TT was it not? Don't have a programme to hand.
.. only spoke to Peter Brock once,at Eastern Creek earlier this year he was networking at an Historic race meeting,had talked with the driver/entrant/mechanic of the only competetive pre 1960 Holden still racing
in Australia,Phil Barrow.
Brockie seemed extremely interested in this FX Goodwood project-the man's energy and enthusiasm in returning from UK and racing here a few days later
are a tribute. RIP PB.

any photos ??
Old 8 Sep 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1705011)   #61
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Andrew, yes, you are absolutely correct; in Corvette No.12 which failed to finish in the TT. My apologies.

Sunday morining appeared even worse that 24 hours earlier, since the cloud base was even lower and curtailed much of the flying. We were promised that the weather would be brighter by 11.00am but as our excellent commentator, Marcus Pye, wryly observed, it didn't look likely. He was right; it was afternnoon before the sun emerged!

The first race of the day was Race 9, the Brooklands Trophy for cars of a type raced at Brooklands prior to 1939. Mark Hales sat on pole with the Bugatti Type 35B entered by Ten Tenths Ltd (Nick Mason's company) but it was Julian Mazjub with the Bentley Pacey Hassan Special, who burst into the lead at the start, and even though he had qualified 5 seconds slower than Hales, opened up a lead. Over the ensuing couple of laps Hale closed in but the expected battle was shortlived as at the end of lap 3 Majzub had to retire the car into the pits. The picture below shows the pair at the end of the Lavant Straight, entering Woodcote, probably a few seconds before Majzub pulled in. Andy Bell in the the Monoposto Aston was a very fine 2nd behind Hales:-

The battling Frazer Nashes mentioned earlier, I think, by bauble. They finished 5th and 6th in reverse order to that shown here:-

I'm afraid that I don't know which of the Bugattis this is (some-one will no doubt tell me), as I didn't take note of the number, but it has clearly been kept in as original condition as possible. I note the stark contrast between it and the portaloo, big TV screen and modern aeroplanes behind the bales and make no further comment!:-

The Mercedes-Benz 710 Rennsport, driven by Markus Kern which finished 20th:-

Old 8 Sep 2006, 11:33 (Ref:1705040)   #62
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Our tribute to Peter Brock.

henk4 has just sent me this picture, taken by Wouter, of Peter Brock in the Holden FX:-

Thanks to henk and Ultimatecarpage.com for allowing us to show this on here.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 11:45 (Ref:1705051)   #63
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks John and henk4 Perfect PB shot.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1705140)   #64
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
very apt that you have the recovery landrover going out above my car!!
Old 8 Sep 2006, 13:41 (Ref:1705171)   #65
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have a number of shots of the Holden taken at the Chicane and I will send copies to anyone who sends me an e-mail address.
Old 8 Sep 2006, 15:35 (Ref:1705255)   #66
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
very apt that you have the recovery landrover going out above my car!!
You've taken this all remarkably well, Simon! Do I take it that you left the bag there with your name on so that you knew which car to go to?
Old 8 Sep 2006, 15:40 (Ref:1705258)   #67
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
You've taken this all remarkably well, Simon! Do I take it that you left the bag there with your name on so that you knew which car to go to?
yup - they all look the same to me!
Old 8 Sep 2006, 16:59 (Ref:1705329)   #68
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 10, The Richmond Trophy, was for front engined F1 cars 'of a type that raced between 1948 and 1959'. The front row was occupied by the Ferrarri Dinos of Gregor Fisken (he is getting better all the time, isn't he?) and Tony Smith. However, you just know that if a BRM P25 qualifies well up the grid at Goodwood and the conditions are damp to wet, and that in the cockpit is someone like Gary Pearson it's going to be hard to beat. Remember that superb drive by John Harper in his P25 at the soaking 1999 event, in which he had a dominant win against a class field? Well, Pearson qualified 3rd and for once I called the outcome right! He took the lead very early on and was never headed thereafter although Gregor Fisken drove probably what is his best race so far and kept up the pressure until the end. They are seen here exiting Lavant Corner:-

While all the above was going on, another fine drive was taking place! Sir Stirling Moss was down to drive the Ferguson Climax Project 99 (Ok so it was a 1961 car but it was front engined and only 1.5 litres) but there were quite a few niggles with the car and Stirling qualified it well down the field and decided not drive it. Can't blame him at the age of 77; so he handed it over to a younger man; well one 10 years younger anyway; namely one Barry 'Whizzo' Williams. His drive through thefield was meteoric and, at one stage, it looked as though he was going to get on terms with the leaders but following a spin settled for 3rd:-

The Ferrari 166/212 'America' of Clive Bate which came 19th:-

One of the biggest 'wow' moments of the meeting. Jochen Mass in the Replica 1954 Lancia D50 only had 4 qualifying laps so started well back; he worked his way steadily up to the back of Alain De Cadanet in the Replica 1956 Lancia-Ferrari D50 and for a while the two circulated together for the last few laps with Mass easing by De Cadanet on the lavant straight to take the position by eight tenths of a second. They finished 9th and 10th, the last of the unlapped runners:-

http://www.msttiming.com/singlesessi...d=goodwood.gif

Last edited by John Turner; 8 Sep 2006 at 17:04.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1706505)   #69
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 12 was the second part of the St Mary's trophy. It was stopped after 8 laps as I understand it because Jim Woodley in the Austin A105 Westminster needed to be retrieved from the gravel, although he was classified 7th. Can anyone confirm that was the reason for the stoppage? John Young drove a fine race in the older A95 Westminster and worked his way through to finish 4th.

The race appeared to be a straight fight between the 2 Jaguar Mk1s of Justin Law (pole) and Grant Williams, but Justin' s car only lasted for a couple of laps and then Grant was hounded home by Rae Davis. I placed myself midway between the exit of St Mary's and Lavant Corner for the next shots. In the first lap, the two Jaguars have already gone through as William Lynch (DNF), Rae Davis (2nd), Shaun Rainford (3rd), Adam Gittings (DNF), Jim Woodley (7th) and Nick Wigley (6th) pour out of St Mary's:-

The early dice between Davis and Raynford which resolved in the favour of Davis:-

Andy Johnson in the Mk1 Zodiac finished 19th, whilst Nick Whale in the BMW 502 V8 finished 16th:-

Rowan Atkinson, as owner of the MkV11 Jaguar decided that he could improve upon the spin Sir Stirling had undertaken in the same car in the first race, by doing so on the exit of St Mary's. He spun off onto the grass but the momentum carried him back onto the track. I can't imagine that there are many worst places to be broadside across the track at Goodwood. Fortunately, he gathered it altogether and still managed to finish, 11th:-

Last edited by John Turner; 10 Sep 2006 at 10:23.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 10:20 (Ref:1706510)   #70
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
that is the first time ever I see a BMW Baroque Angel on a racing track (being actually raced )
Old 10 Sep 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1706571)   #71
Tom Walker
Rookie

England
leics
Tom Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
I'm not sure why he failed to finish but if I were asked to guess I'd say he chewed out the rear tyres steaming out of Lavants in enormous highspeed power slides lap after lap.. Brilliant to watch!!

Derek Hill and the 3000CM were great in the adverse conditions, smooth just like all winning race cars.
Sorry, a bit late on this and Im new to this great site. You were right to say I had a problem, but actually it was much more boring than tyre wear....the b...dy fan belt threw itself off, immediately she boiled and I had to go in, totally gutted, having had the time of my life! I had never raced the Allard in the wet before, was bricking it pre-race, but was amazed how balanced and fun it was to drive. Lavant is an interesting double apex corner, but I twice managed to get the whole thing in one big power-slide, (thanks to the damp and a large lump of Detroit I-ron up front !) which was a real blast !

Just to add to the previous comments, for me Goodwood is simply light-years ahead of anything else, (bearing in mind I come from a lowly VSCC background !) and as a driver or mechanic the treatment/facilities (all FOC) are nothing short of mind blowing. The circuit is brilliant to drive, especially if you have a big car. (You dont want to think about the entry into St Marys too much....simply v exciting !)

Lord March runs a peerless event, and I only wish he asks me back so I can do a full 15 laps !
Old 10 Sep 2006, 15:30 (Ref:1706950)   #72
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Walker
....the b...dy fan belt threw itself off, immediately she boiled and I had to go in, totally gutted, having had the time of my life!

Lord March runs a peerless event, and I only wish he asks me back so I can do a full 15 laps !
Tom, very warm welcome ..... and extremely hard luck. Hope you get your wish.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 09:35 (Ref:1707722)   #73
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
The RAC TT Celebration remains, for many, the centre piece of the Goodwood Revival, catering as it does for 'closed cockpit GT cars in the spirit of the RAC TT races 1960-64' and with its fine array of drivers. Actually, if they were open cockpit wouldn't they then be sports cars rather than Gts? I think these big front engined GT cars are my favourites and I'm grateful that 25 years later, Dodge saw fit to reintroduce this genre with the Viper so that we now have cars like, C5R & C6R Corvettes, Ferrari 550 & 575LM, Aston DBR9 and now the BMW MZ4 Coupe (MZ4GT would be a better designation!), the debut of which I saw at Silverstone (it won!) last weekend. Sorry I have digressed!

It would be fair to say that Juan Barazi's pole sitting Lightweight E-type in the hands of Michael Vergers had the legs of everybody and stormed away from the pack. Here he is halfway through the first lap having already opened up a gap. By the time he handed over after 45 minutes or so of driving, Barazi, who I think has greatly improved over the last couple of years, was pretty much able to stroke it home to victory. Vergers set a new lap record for this 'revived' event in a stunning 1.26.581, which was over 1.5 seconds faster than the next best lap:-

The next two pictures show the two cars that I really would love to see win the Revival TT before I get much older! The first shows the Ferrari 330LMB (only 3 ever built and what I liken to a 'big' GTO), driven here by Nicolas Minassian. He was later to hand over to Peter Hardman, who, in his usual spectacular (but also very fast!) style stormed to 3rd behind the John Bendall/Darren Manning which he waas catching at about 5 seconds a lap:-

The one and only Aston Martin Project 212, a car that back in 1999, Martin Brundle had put on pole for this race, only to have it crashed later in practice so that it could not start. Martin's time, in the 1.27s was only beaten this year, by Vergers (see above). Wolfgang Friedrichs, who owns the car, shared it with David Clark, and consistent and improving lap times saw them bring this car from a lowly 21st on the grid to a fine 10th place:-

This view shows Jean-Marc Gounon with the later style 250 GTO overtaking on the outside into Lavant Corner. He drove that GTO qiucker than I have seen one driven for many a year. He started 17th on the grid, charged through the field, and handed over to Sam Hancock, no mean pedaller himself, and the car finished 7th:-

Last edited by John Turner; 11 Sep 2006 at 09:38.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 09:46 (Ref:1707735)   #74
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This view shows Jean-Marc Gounon with the later style 250 GTO overtaking on the outside into Lavant Corner. He drove that GTO qiucker than I have seen one driven for many a year. He started 17th on the grid, charged through the field, and handed over to Sam Hancock, no mean pedaller himself, and the car finished 7th:-
From what I heard Gounon drove a much more balanced race than the previous week in Donington, where he kept charging the Courage during its final stint in the 1000 km race, while there were really no places to be gained any more.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 16:25 (Ref:1708096)   #75
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The next two pictures show the two cars that I really would love to see win the Revival TT before I get much older! The first shows the Ferrari 330LMB (only 3 ever built and what I liken to a 'big' GTO), driven here by Nicolas Minassian. He was later to hand over to Peter Hardman, who, in his usual spectacular (but also very fast!) style stormed to 3rd behind the John Bendall/Darren Manning which he waas catching at about 5 seconds a lap:-

Hardman is really mighty in the 330. Ferrari 330

This really is a car that I would like to see win the TT!

Manning also impressed with the Cobra I thought, and if he had a slightly quicker co driver could have posed a challage to the E-type.

However the best sight of the day?
TT Start!