Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Oct 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1733911)   #1
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Revival on telly

One hour tonight - 11pm on ITV1.

Any incidents, funny hats worth looking out for....??
Old 10 Oct 2006, 12:23 (Ref:1733983)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I was at Woodcote and we had a couple of 'offs' to deal with so they may show the heroic hero marshals in action
Old 10 Oct 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1734329)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
typical . . .I have to get up at 5am tomorrow morning !
Old 10 Oct 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1734340)   #4
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Lavant straight and had a visit from Adrian Newey, but I don't think he wanted to be there, at least he wasn't aware of being there!! made a heck of a mess of his E type though!!
Old 10 Oct 2006, 23:06 (Ref:1734592)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well that was all pretty pathetic really, wasn't it? 47 minutes, barely scratching the surface; who exactly were they catering for?
Old 10 Oct 2006, 23:09 (Ref:1734596)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lost interest myself half way through and went back to the lap top and 10/10ths!
Old 10 Oct 2006, 23:58 (Ref:1734640)   #7
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best part of it was hearing and seeing "The Maestro - Murray Walker " at work again.

Stirling at 77 sure can handle a car still.......Awesome !!

Tony Jardine is certainly very quick.

Nite

Paula
Old 11 Oct 2006, 09:00 (Ref:1734881)   #8
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Why oh why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Well that was all pretty pathetic really, wasn't it? 47 minutes, barely scratching the surface; who exactly were they catering for?
I was VERY disappointed especially with the disproportionate time spent on the motorbike racing. After all they made up only a tiny percentage of the actual racing over the week-end yet took up far too much of the time last night! I suspect that was the Murray Walker influence!

There was also far too many showings of the same incidents from every possible angle - one has to ask why?

All in all in very POOR programme in comparison to the FoS coverage last week! Oh and why only 47 minutes when it was scheduled for an hour? If I was one of the firms who bought advertising time in that programme I think I would be asking for my money back!

Old 11 Oct 2006, 09:33 (Ref:1734922)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well it was an hour with the adverts, but I just don't see what they were trying to achieve with such poor and minimal coverage.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 09:47 (Ref:1734934)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whetting people's appetite for the official video at Christmas time I suspect.

Seriously, there's nothing that appears in the ITV specials that isn't shown in each year's official release, so I regarded yesterday evening's programme as no more than a taster. On that level, I was satisfied. The St Marys coverage was good and they clearly had some cameramen who knew how to film low-flying Spitfires.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 13:10 (Ref:1735170)   #11
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think 47 minutes is the standard length of a programme filling an hour-long slot on commercial TV these days.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1735182)   #12
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Bring back the Beeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
I think 47 minutes is the standard length of a programme filling an hour-long slot on commercial TV these days.
Which is the best argument I have heard for a long time to get Motor Racing back on the BBC where it belongs!
Old 11 Oct 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1735193)   #13
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah, but they'll just fill the 13 minutes up with their new idents and trailers for Robin Hood
Old 11 Oct 2006, 15:30 (Ref:1735309)   #14
Startline Ed
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Startline Ed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was nice to see the cars but it skipped through the races very quickly. Not particularly good coverage of what is an amazing meeting.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 16:33 (Ref:1735374)   #15
Gironimo
Rookie

Gironimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wanted to see a bit of Formula Junior which was rushed through in a second or two.

... still better than no coverage at all. All down to the accountants, I'm afraid!

Gounon was spectacular though.

Also, I missed the beginning was there any mention in respect of Peter Brock?
Old 11 Oct 2006, 17:08 (Ref:1735396)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Welcome Gironimo. The only referenceto Peter Brock, I recall, was in respect of his drive in the Holden FX in the St Mary's Trophy; no mention of his subsequent tragic death a few days later.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1735539)   #17
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
on the subject of funny hats, how does stirling moss get past racmsa scrutineers with the 50's crash helmet,i do hope its not the one he had his big accident in?
Old 11 Oct 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1735550)   #18
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Brocky was also mentioned in the Sports car race, it would have been a nice touch and cost nothing if they had dedicated the program to his memory.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1735628)   #19
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gironimo
Also, I missed the beginning was there any mention in respect of Peter Brock?
NO mention of Brock's accident. Probably didn't have the time!
Old 11 Oct 2006, 21:48 (Ref:1735634)   #20
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
They could have stuck a small note in the rolling credits at the end.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 22:11 (Ref:1735653)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughan jones
on the subject of funny hats, how does stirling moss get past racmsa scrutineers with the 50's crash helmet,i do hope its not the one he had his big accident in?
I believe he long ago requested dispensation, and it was granted. He wanted his appearance to match the cars I guess.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1736043)   #22
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I believe he long ago requested dispensation, and it was granted. He wanted his appearance to match the cars I guess.
I applaud him for it - just as it should be.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 14:02 (Ref:1736242)   #23
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just about on topic

I would really like to get some full race length in car footage. They always have plenty of cameras in the cars but only show very small amounts. In the past I have bought the offical DVD but there isn't much on there.

At the Historic Motorsports show this year there was a stand showing a full race length in car which was fantastic but they told me they weren't allowed to sell it.

Surely I'm not the only person who would love to see a full race of say Peter Hardman in the 330LMB??

Any ideas??
Old 23 Oct 2006, 15:46 (Ref:1746376)   #24
JRTM
Rookie

Ireland
Orlando, FL
JRTM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the matter of Stirling and his hat - he has special dispensation from the FIA that escuses him from wearing proper helmets, fire proof suits, seat belts and "any other item of personal safety equipment". I have seen the letter myself. It is based on the ability to avail of a loophole called contributory negligence which allows a driver who wore the stuff in period do the same today as long as they take the blame. He makes this choice simply to maintain the integrity of his "brand image". In other words he looks the same in pictures now as he did then. its a carefully thought out decision as you might extect from the great man.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1746409)   #25
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well he might be entered in a race but he hardly 'races' any more, just as well as he has little personal protection other than the roll cage. You'd think at Goodwood especially he'd have everything going that he could to protect him. Seems his image is more important to him?