Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Oct 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1741997)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
HSCC - Silverstone - 21st October, 2006 (with photos)

The HSCC's season finale should be fun provided the weather isn't too bad. I'll be there clicking away and hopefully catching up with a few people. Who else is going?
Old 19 Oct 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1742031)   #2
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan and I will be there. Alan will be Chief Flag as normal and I will be Chief Marshal. As things look at the moment I may even have chance to walk round on Saturday morning and visit all the posts.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 12:01 (Ref:1742034)   #3
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I suppose I'd better be there
Old 19 Oct 2006, 13:18 (Ref:1742107)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It might help smooth proceedings John
Old 19 Oct 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1742108)   #5
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wish I was going now! FF1600.co.uk has loads of people at the festival, so I doubt I'd be missed much... bit late to sort out accreditation now though I think!
Old 19 Oct 2006, 13:26 (Ref:1742111)   #6
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
I wish I was going now! FF1600.co.uk has loads of people at the festival, so I doubt I'd be missed much... bit late to sort out accreditation now though I think!
Mike.
If you just pitch up, go to 1st floor in Race Control, they can sign you on as Media
Old 19 Oct 2006, 13:27 (Ref:1742113)   #7
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I might do that... haven't heard from MSV regarding accreditation yet, and I may have something else I could do tomorrow... we shall see.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1742115)   #8
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
It might help smooth proceedings John
Not necessarily
Old 19 Oct 2006, 20:04 (Ref:1742406)   #9
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there, racing no.89 in the Historic FFords, I'll make sure I give everyone a wave!
Old 19 Oct 2006, 20:37 (Ref:1742426)   #10
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
The HSCC's season finale should be fun provided the weather isn't too bad. I'll be there clicking away and hopefully catching up with a few people. Who else is going?
The forecast has improved over the past few days....and probably see you at the usual spot John
Old 20 Oct 2006, 09:10 (Ref:1742840)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, indeed, Brands, although I might also try a couple of other places as well?
Old 20 Oct 2006, 17:08 (Ref:1743341)   #12
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be there, speccying, paddock in the morning, probably Luffield in the afternoon.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1743441)   #13
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I shall be marshalling for my third meeting and very much looking forward to tomorrow. Touch wood; I might even remember my pass to get in, unlike my last time at Silverstone .
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1744898)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Great meeting as ever. Much enjoyed catching up with Johngee (thanks for the course car ride, John) and brands, finally met John Monson and Richard Trott, as well as seeing a number of non Ten Tenther (tut, tut) friends. I'm sorry that I still didn't manage to meet Gary Critcher, and since my mobile phone decided to cease functioning (again!), I wasn't able to make contact with a couple of people I had intended to. Weather stayed fine for most of the day, although we did have rain during one of the races.

I was, frankly, a bit concerned with some overtaking manoeuvres, going for gaps that weren't really there, and two of them were for the lead and quite possibly had an effect on the outcome of the races concerned. A slightly worrying trend since this is not the first time this has been mentioned in these threads.

Oh, and Silverstone, get your act together. I can't remember the last time I saw so much litter lying around Luffield. It was suggested that this was left over from last week's BTCC meeting! Well, if that is so, that is pretty poor! Can you imagine Jonathan Palmer allowing this to happen at any of his circuits?

Great job by the HSCC, and all the marshals to keep the timings on track for the 9 race meeting, despite a couple of fairly lenthy stoppages. I think the last race may even have started a few minutes early.

Will do my usual of posting a pics and a few comments but it will take even longer than usual to complete because I am away for a 48-72 hours in the the middle of the week.

Last edited by John Turner; 22 Oct 2006 at 11:51.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1745008)   #15
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice of Silverstone to put barriers on the entrance ramps to the spectator areas on the inside of the circuit on the run from Copse to Beckets and also the outside of Becketts (for cars I should add). Another sign of the anti spectator aspect of the circuit. Also no PA working on the outside of Becketts.

Mallory a fortnight ago was so much better.

Nevertheless, the racing was as always with the HSCC pretty entertaining, a little too much contact in the saloons though. Interesting to see a short oval stockcar on a trailer in the paddock - would have been an ideal choice for the mid pack of the saloons

Excellent work as usual by the Marshals clearing up the incidents.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 15:55 (Ref:1745079)   #16
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll not tell you anything about my lacklustre performance in the FFord race. Suffice it to say, I now know what happens when you get your seatbelts done up just a little too tightly !!!
Old 23 Oct 2006, 09:54 (Ref:1745935)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Pit and Paddock

Sounds painful, Gary!

Alexander Morton's Ausper T3 being detrailered:-

Robin Lackford's Elva 100. Behind is Crispian Besley's OSCA and to the right his Elva 100:-

David Methley's Lenham Hurst GT. It was a real disappointment that it did not turn out for its race:-

Another Elva 100; this one is Rob Manger's 'touring' the paddock:-

Last edited by John Turner; 23 Oct 2006 at 10:01.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 10:32 (Ref:1745982)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Qualifying

Tim Barry awaits the 'off' for qualifying his Trojan T102 in the Derek Bell Trophy race:-

Nick Overall exiting Becketts in his Lyncar - also the DBT:-

Late entrant (he doesn't appear in the programme!), Steven Wilkinson in his Brabham BT21, in between the bridges at the end of Club Straight - the classic Racing Car series:-

John Monson returns after qualifying 10th in his Lotus 20b, in the very big field of 41 cars that made up the Millers Oils FJ race:-
Old 23 Oct 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1746199)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 1 - The Bates IT Historic Saloon Car Championship

Great start to the racing day! Long shot of Les Ely, Bob Bullen (Anglia) and the Lotus Cortinas of Louis Bracey and Jonathan Gomm coming through Brooklands. Gomm's 'crinkly' (every nearside panel including front and rear light clusters were damaged!) Lotus Cortina appears to be displaying a remarkable degree of roll, compared to the others:-

Jackie Oliver (BMW) and Mark Garritt seem to be displaying oversteer and understeer but didn't meet in the middle! They came 5th and 7th respectively, after the restart .....:-

....... which came after several laps, when a substantial oil slick was laid through Woodcote (by whom I do not know) and a couple of offs, caused the red flag. Fine work by the marshals:-

On the restart, which was a 5 lap sprint to the line, the battle at the front resumed. Whilst Les Ely still leads here, he succumbed to the onslaught of Louis Bracey who won after a fine drive having qualified only 6th. The other Lotus Cortina of Gomm moved up one place too, to finish 3rd in front of the Anglia of Neil Wood. (Bob Bullen's Anglia shown in the first picture above dropped to 9th):-

Last edited by John Turner; 24 Oct 2006 at 08:53.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 16:01 (Ref:1746397)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Roger Ebdon pulled the Mini Cooper up to 8th, but I hope he would agree that this damage was self-inflicted going for a gap that really wasn't there. Car 51 is Michael Wrigley's Lotus Cortina, which qualified 7th but does not appear anywhere on the MST results as either a finisher or a DNF. Anyone know why:-

Tony Pearson finished 10th in the S type Jaguar whilst class winner, Chris Hunter, came 15th in his Cooper S:-

Despite losing his passenger, David Bennett declined the invitation to pit and continued to finish 17th in his Lotus Cortina, chased all the way by Ed Glaister's Ford Anglia 100E, surely the oldest car in the field by some margin:-

Rob Kerkhoven endures an assault from the 'tiddlers', to finish 11th in his Lotus Cortina. As we have seen, Chris Hunter dropped behind this group to finish 15th. Adrian Oliver's Imp moved up one to finish 12th, and Steve Platts Singer Chamois moved up two places to finish 13th, which just leaves Roger Phillips Mini Cooper (84) which finished 14th.

Last edited by John Turner; 23 Oct 2006 at 16:56.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 16:09 (Ref:1746410)   #21
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Car 51 is Michael Wrigley's Lotus Cortina, which qualified 7th but does not appear anywhere on the MST results as either a finisher or a DNF. Anyone know why:-
Because he didn't have a transponder! MST are now taking a stand, I believe on 'instructions' from the MSA, not to time cars without them. It may seem draconian but many warnings have been given this year!
Old 23 Oct 2006, 16:20 (Ref:1746421)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
Because he didn't have a transponder! MST are now taking a stand, I believe on 'instructions' from the MSA, not to time cars without them. It may seem draconian but many warnings have been given this year!
I belive we have been getting warnings for the last 2yrs!
Old 23 Oct 2006, 16:41 (Ref:1746447)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks for the clarification, John. However why not at least recognise his presence by saying 'not classified due to the absence of transponder'. Afterall, he was there racing but motor race historians years down the line relying on MST and the official results will deny his existence at the meeting.

Terence, yes, I think that this has been an issue for quite sometime, now.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1746472)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember 3yrs ago I entered an event at Donnington, we were informed in the finals that we had to purchase a transponder from MST,otherwise we would not race,after a lot of messing about,I persuaded MST to loan me one as there were none available! guess what, we did not need it!!!!!!!.One up to MST I suppose. I have to say that I thought the Tin Tops provided the best racing,up until the red flag,that is.

Last edited by terence; 23 Oct 2006 at 16:54.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 16:56 (Ref:1746480)   #25
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, John. However why not at least recognise his presence by saying 'not classified due to the absence of transponder'. Afterall, he was there racing but motor race historians years down the line relying on MST and the official results will deny his existence at the meeting.

Terence, yes, I think that this has been an issue for quite sometime, now.
I take your point John - I'm not defending the position but, like the police, I don't make the laws, just enforce them with as much sensitivity and creativity as I can .