Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Oct 2006, 09:01 (Ref:1736937)   #26
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reliabillity.

If it makes you feel any better, you might be interested to know tthat it took me 4yrs to get anywhere near a finish at the 6hrs, then with 25mins to go ,having worked very hard to be first M.G.B,OUT OF 13 others, my other driver sort of hit the wall at Le Radillon.{this was on the 5th year!}
Old 13 Oct 2006, 09:07 (Ref:1736953)   #27
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
was yours the one Whizzo raced and went to Graham Horder? If so I drove it twice, one time at Pau and ended in the tyre wall and the second time at Spa and couldnt hand it over to Graham quick enough!! The half shafts kept breaking and putting oil on the back wheels which was at best exciting! If it is the same one Tony Bianchi now ownss it and has sorted it and is having a lot of fun in Gentlemen Drivers with it
Old 13 Oct 2006, 09:14 (Ref:1736968)   #28
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, i still own it , but Whizz and myself have used it to good effect since.{100% reliabillity}the plan is that we do the 6hrs next year.Usally half shaft breakage is caused by the rear hub,s not being correctly torqued ,thus allowing the hub,s to move which then let,s out the oil!.

Last edited by terence; 13 Oct 2006 at 09:22.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1737024)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
freezes, hell, over & when are the words that come to mind if discussing Terry's sale of his B.

I recall the first time he took it on a track at Goodwood.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 13 Oct 2006 at 10:16.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 10:41 (Ref:1737049)   #30
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
certainly all our prblems have been diff and prop linked
Is that on a Lotus Cortina?

None of my business I know but are you running an alloy diff nose?

If so I strongly suspect that it is the cause of your problems with the diff (whatever those problems are).

Diff problems caused by the A-Frame passed into folklore eons ago but those who raced LC's in the sixties will tell you that the alloy diff noses were a pain.

Finding someone who can set the diff up with an alloy nose is difficult - I know from my own experience that there are loads of experts out there with wildly different theories on how to set up the cwp given that the nose housing expands at a different rate than the standard item.

The alloy ones can also leak badly.

It's bad enough finding someone these days who REALLY understands how to set up the original salisbury type LSD let alone these problems.

After lots of aggro and weird opinions we went to Tran X who now manufacture these slipper units and they really didn't want to know if we continued with the alloy nose - they too had had lots of problems, bad feedback etc with alloy noses.

Whipped the diff out and sure enough a mint cwp had machined itself into virtual nothingness.

Rebuilt with original housing - have had no problems at all - even using cut slicks and other sticky rubber, big power, 8 standing starts a meeting (hillclimbs) etc etc

Not having one feels retrograde but they can give you endless trouble. Doesn't seem to trouble the Elan though with it's all diff carrier.

Apologies - LC's are like a trigger to me - just can't help myself....
Old 13 Oct 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1737165)   #31
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
thx for that - its always good to get others' experience. I think our problems were more to do with the previous set up which had the car set to one side and the diff at the wrong angle. This is apparently a quirky set up by a previous owner the net result was an oscillating propshaft which kept knocking out tailgates. We have sorted that so it doesnt vibrate any more rewired the car and had stripped and rebuilt the engine for Spa only for the damn water pump to go when we were leading class!!!
the car doesnt fit into our plans for 2007 so its for sale with someone getting the benefit of a lot of prepping!!!
Old 13 Oct 2006, 13:27 (Ref:1737177)   #32
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Dobri Den, Petre, 4/4/90. 3rd in class behind Peter Spooner,B and Malcomb Young,M.G.C. Sebring replica. Ah yes I remember it well.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 13:34 (Ref:1737182)   #33
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting Johnners, I run an ally dif nose with no problems, but I don't have A frame obviously, I don't think anyone races seriously with an original spec A frame anymore, theyre either 'modified' ( legally or otherwise) or revert to leaf springs.

as far as I know the LC wasn't ready until late 63 anyway, them there were homologation issues, then reliability issues, so even as a works outfit it took over a year to sort the car out
Old 13 Oct 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1737185)   #34
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
I think our problems were more to do with the previous set up
exactly, which is why I recommended reverting to standard and the tweaking from there, you have a known and documented reference point that way, especially given it wasn't a recognised set up when you got it.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1739495)   #35
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
No, i still own it , but Whizz and myself have used it to good effect since.{100% reliabillity}the plan is that we do the 6hrs next year.Usally half shaft breakage is caused by the rear hub,s not being correctly torqued ,thus allowing the hub,s to move which then let,s out the oil!.
you probably made a good wrench to tighten the nuts? and secure them very well!!!
Old 16 Oct 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1739502)   #36
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
you probably made a good wrench to tighten the nuts? and secure them very well!!!
I bought a large socket, the torque should be 120lbs. I always use new tab washers as well. Have you been on holiday?
Old 16 Oct 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1739508)   #37
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
I bought a large socket, the torque should be 120lbs. I always use new tab washers as well. Have you been on holiday?
yo, i was in spain on my anual trial holiday (now 15th time) we do 4 days of motorcycletrials with Spanish Friends . which means is 50kms a day (30m) one gallon of fuel!!!!!! 2 gallons of sweath and after that one gallon of wine and the beers and Mojitos I forgot about those............
Old 16 Oct 2006, 17:41 (Ref:1739511)   #38
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
never give the socket away..................must have been a work to find one . i made mine by drilling out a plate of 15mm................I have no race MGB anymore but the socket will be in my heritage!!
Old 16 Oct 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1739630)   #39
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
never give the socket away..................must have been a work to find one . i made mine by drilling out a plate of 15mm................I have no race MGB anymore but the socket will be in my heritage!!
That did,nt take 5 mins I know!
Old 16 Oct 2006, 20:45 (Ref:1739647)   #40
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
That did,nt take 5 mins I know!
octagon or six sides ?>>>. you should try las vegas. see you in a gt40 in the 6h next year. if you want to see some fun check my pages again. Must say got my feet back on the earth again (not in last weekend for sure!!)
Old 17 Oct 2006, 07:36 (Ref:1739865)   #41
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife

Spa Six Hours !more like a weekend of partying Esper, good effort. By the way I also know the de Vries ,I have worked on the different cars they have owned!. I did not see Case though, a very welcoming family as I recall. Las Vegas? GT40?Will you need another driver?????.
Old 17 Oct 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1740415)   #42
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Spa Six Hours !more like a weekend of partying Esper, good effort. By the way I also know the de Vries ,I have worked on the different cars they have owned!. I did not see Case though, a very welcoming family as I recall. Las Vegas? GT40?Will you need another driver?????.
Las Vegas, that was on your fast choosing of socket sizes.............
Old 17 Oct 2006, 17:50 (Ref:1740417)   #43
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Checked with a vernier first!!
Old 17 Oct 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1740439)   #44
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Checked with a vernier first!!
a gt40?
Old 17 Oct 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1740445)   #45
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Yes, but the vernier only measured 40mm .
Old 19 Oct 2006, 17:42 (Ref:1742306)   #46
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
AS has probably been observed, how about a disscusion about preparation for enduros, it might help anyone considering this type of racing, all your favorite tweaks,like taking all those spare screws you keep on the dash,and putting them in the bin!Just thought that this sort of thing might suit the thread tittle .
Old 19 Oct 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1742490)   #47
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
AS has probably been observed, how about a disscusion about preparation for enduros, it might help anyone considering this type of racing, all your favorite tweaks,like taking all those spare screws you keep on the dash,and putting them in the bin!Just thought that this sort of thing might suit the thread tittle .
ok i' ll start serious, whenever i can.
Last six hours learned me definitely to run 2 facet fuelpumps. one of the pumps caused a fuse to blow just as our least technical driver was at the helm. so it took him a while to solve the little problem but he could rejoin. which means evey pump its own fuse as well . small things but very helpfull. (and no no it was not a TVR mas problem , it was typical facet...............
Old 20 Oct 2006, 16:21 (Ref:1743290)   #48
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
ok i' ll start serious, whenever i can.
Last six hours learned me definitely to run 2 facet fuelpumps. one of the pumps caused a fuse to blow just as our least technical driver was at the helm. so it took him a while to solve the little problem but he could rejoin. which means evey pump its own fuse as well . small things but very helpfull. (and no no it was not a TVR mas problem , it was typical facet...............
Ive always had two pumps, clearly labeled, one driver of mine some time ago stopped on the 300km on the Nordschliefer, fortunatley he had the mobile in his pocket------- I think that on endurance events you should also have a second coil, a spare rotor arm is also a good idea.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1743492)   #49
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gentlemen, if you are replying to the previous post, you really don't have to quote it again!
Old 20 Oct 2006, 20:50 (Ref:1743557)   #50
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Gentlemen, if you are replying to the previous post, you really don't have to quote it again!
How about wrong button!!