Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jul 2015, 10:22 (Ref:3555354)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
British Grand Prix 2015 - Weekend Thread

It's time for F1 to 'come home' to Silverstone for the British Grand Prix. Seven of the ten teams are based in the country and within a 100-mile radius of the circuit. The Northamptonshire-located track was also host to the very first Formula 1 World Championship race in 1950 and this year hosts its 49th World Championship Grand Prix (and its 51st in total - the first was in 1948).

17 of the 48 Silverstone world championship races and 17 of the 50 Grands Prix have been won by British drivers - quite an impressive tally.

Jim Clark has led more British Grand Prix laps than any other driver - 365.

Ferrari have won more British Grands Prix than any other team, 16 to McLaren's 14 and Williams's 10.

Of the current drivers, Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton have won two British Grands Prix apiece, while Raikkonen, Vettel and Rosberg have all won once.

The hot weather has given way to slightly cooler conditions for this weekend, with some sun and 24 and 25 degrees currently forecast for Saturday and just 20 degrees and possible outbreaks of rain due on Sunday.

If Lewis Hamilton leads even one lap at Silverstone, that will beat Sir Jackie Stewart's 45-year-old record of 17 consecutive Grands Prix led.

The smallest victory margin at a British Grand Prix was in 1955 at Aintree, Fangio beating Moss by 0.2 seconds. Perhaps the strangest win was Michael Schumacher's for Ferrari in 1998, in which he took a penalty on after the finishing line on the final lap, winning in the pitlane.

2015:

Tyre compounds: Medium and hard

Last edited by Born Racer; 4 Jul 2015 at 09:26.
Old 3 Jul 2015, 04:17 (Ref:3555535)   #2
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks Born Racer, I always look forward to the British GP, "F1 coming home", hope it is a really good one!
Old 3 Jul 2015, 06:49 (Ref:3555547)   #3
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sauber mechanics are working overtime in the Silverstone pits on Thursday.

That is because, as of 6am, the Swiss team's trucks carrying the cars for Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson had yet to arrive at the British grand prix venue.

Germany's Auto Motor und Sport reports that Sauber left Hinwil on time, but got held up in France during a Eurotunnel strike and blockade.

The transporters diverted, but got caught up in a four kilometre traffic jam, meaning mechanics are now racing against time to prepare the Ferrari-powered cars.

pathetic - if ever there was an example of F1 looking inwards not outwards this is it!
How come they didn't set off for Zeebrugge or St Malo of even Rotterdam. Obviously in denial that world events could affect them .......
Old 3 Jul 2015, 10:22 (Ref:3555573)   #4
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manor with another new sponsor.

Really like the blue on the car

Old 3 Jul 2015, 13:20 (Ref:3555608)   #5
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
like the new nose on the FI. is the car a full 'B-spec'?

think they should be applauded for trying something new out mid season when the trend (sensible choice) seems to be to move money to next year.

now just hope it works out for them
Old 3 Jul 2015, 13:32 (Ref:3555609)   #6
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Car looks fantastic. They look a little closer to the pack so far (still not close enough to compete at all), but a little better.

Makes a lot of sense for them now to just get it right for 2016...as they're really going to have to step up and compete with the likes of the ones ahead of them next year, as you'd expect Haas to come in and be fairly competitive with the Saubers et al.
Old 3 Jul 2015, 15:57 (Ref:3555627)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting View Post
Manor with another new sponsor.

Really like the blue on the car

The car looks really nice....

What can one say about the British Grand Prix... I love it !
Old 3 Jul 2015, 17:49 (Ref:3555653)   #8
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Normally, I would get quite enthusiastic about the British GP but what with the last few races, it's a little hard to. It's not so much Mercedes romping away with it every time, though that doesn't help, it's the processional aspect and the lack of overtaking further down the field, that makes for a rather lack lustre spectacle. Hopefully, that won't be the case but I won't hold my breath.
Old 3 Jul 2015, 20:49 (Ref:3555686)   #9
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
David A Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Normally, I would get quite enthusiastic about the British GP but what with the last few races, it's a little hard to. It's not so much Mercedes romping away with it every time, though that doesn't help, it's the processional aspect and the lack of overtaking further down the field, that makes for a rather lack lustre spectacle. Hopefully, that won't be the case but I won't hold my breath.
I agree, that's why I'm hoping for rain..
Old 3 Jul 2015, 20:59 (Ref:3555691)   #10
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They're not allowed vented noses in the middle, but Force Insia have obviously managed to avoid this.
Old 4 Jul 2015, 00:12 (Ref:3555711)   #11
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Marussia looks much better with the blue and - shock - a sponsor. That's gotta be a good sign, along with their improved pace so far. I've rarely wanted a team to survive more. After everything they've been through with De Villotta and then Jules, almost going out of business etc, they deserve a bit of a break.

Encouraging stuff about Michael Schumacher this weekend too although its almost gone unnoticed - Sabine saying she's pleased to announce he's now doing "much better" - its the tone of the quote, by far the most positive, happy sounding thing to come out of this for ages.

Also (and I shouldn't really say this I know), I think it's a massively positive thing that Nico is really starting to gain the upper hand on Lewis, we need a proper battle between these two.

Generally quite a positive weekend so far on those three counts.
Old 4 Jul 2015, 09:26 (Ref:3555735)   #12
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see that BBC2 tonight has a program about Hunt V's Lauda in 1976 and John Frankenheimer's classic.
Old 4 Jul 2015, 09:33 (Ref:3555736)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Head-on view of change of direction at Copse - always a joy!
Old 4 Jul 2015, 10:10 (Ref:3555738)   #14
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Red Bull look a bit more competitive based on the weekend as a whole.
Old 4 Jul 2015, 13:29 (Ref:3555755)   #15
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trying to comprehend McLaren, and I can not.
Old 4 Jul 2015, 15:16 (Ref:3555769)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
its better not to think about it.
Old 4 Jul 2015, 16:33 (Ref:3555773)   #17
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I'd love to see a side-by-side bunch of stats breaking down Manor and McLaren's expenditure this season.

You can only imagine how much more McLaren have spent to be one place ahead of Manor.

Selby
Old 4 Jul 2015, 17:47 (Ref:3555780)   #18
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How do folks feel about the track limits rule and I wonder how it is going to be administered in the race?

I do think something has got to be done about drivers going out over the edge of the track. Mind you a triple layer of armco just beyond the white line would deal with the problem but create another.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119842
Old 4 Jul 2015, 18:24 (Ref:3555784)   #19
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by m355y View Post
I think it's a massively positive thing that Nico is really starting to gain the upper hand on Lewis, we need a proper battle between these two.
I just don't get this whole Nico getting the upper hand thing, he drove very well in Austria granted but that is it, i would imagine that normal service will very much be resumed tomorrow and at Hungary, also, does anybody really think anyone other than Lewis will be champ come the end of the season?
Old 4 Jul 2015, 18:24 (Ref:3555785)   #20
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Seconded. Yeah. I think that this year - the cars are a lot more difficult to overtake. We did have some decent battles in the mid field at Austria - but I get the feeling, that it's not something that is going to happen too often this year.
Old 4 Jul 2015, 19:16 (Ref:3555790)   #21
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
was hoping the B-Spec Force India would have shaken things up more but maybe we will see it tomorrow in race pace.
Old 4 Jul 2015, 19:21 (Ref:3555792)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post

pathetic - if ever there was an example of F1 looking inwards not outwards this is it!

How come they didn't set off for Zeebrugge or St Malo of even Rotterdam. Obviously in denial that world events could affect them .......
If ever there is an example of the problems F1 has this is it.
Old 4 Jul 2015, 19:25 (Ref:3555793)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
It's proving to be a lot more difficult for McLaren-Honda than anyone thought, then again the other teams/PU manufacturers do have the advantage of the 2013/14 off season, the whole of last season and the 2014/15 off season.
Old 4 Jul 2015, 19:36 (Ref:3555797)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
How do folks feel about the track limits rule and I wonder how it is going to be administered in the race?
generally agree with Ric's comments, drivers will use every possible inch of track they can so a better deterrent is needed.

ultimately i dont want to see a driver get knocked out for one mistake though. lose time sure but damage and beached cars usually result in saftey cars and that ruins a race more imo.

stewards were being consistent and tough in quali so hopefully that was deterrent enough for the race.
Old 4 Jul 2015, 19:44 (Ref:3555799)   #25
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
It's proving to be a lot more difficult for McLaren-Honda than anyone thought...
including themselves.

its really a spectacular level of fail going on here.