Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Jul 2015, 14:28 (Ref:3555617)   #1
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
HSCC Superprix

One of my favorite meetings
BH Full GP, one my favorite tracks

single seater overdose for me:

March 752 in HF2
Ralt RT1 in CF3
Brabham BT2 in HFJ

sadly no Guards, would have brought the DRW and shared it with a friend from Hamburg, who races my old Porsche 914

R.E.
Old 3 Jul 2015, 14:32 (Ref:3555618)   #2
jodi
Racer

United Kingdom
Northants
jodi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame there's series all on one day again, we're looking forward to round three of Jaguar Heritage Challenge though!
Old 3 Jul 2015, 16:16 (Ref:3555633)   #3
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Timetable http://www.hscc.org.uk/images/Provis...atch_SP_V1.pdf

Entry list http://www.hscc.org.uk/images/Provis..._Prix_2015.pdf
Old 3 Jul 2015, 20:02 (Ref:3555680)   #4
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Historic Road Sports is joining with FiSCAR, fielding an entry list of 41 racers, including Brian A with his totally delectable Alfa Giulietta SVZ.

I will be there with number 55, the Chev Camaro and a welcome to any Tenthers who drop by.
Nick
Old 11 Jul 2015, 11:36 (Ref:3557530)   #5
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just leaving home (work has been getting in the way a lot these last few weeks) and hoping to catch the JHC this afternoon. Scorchio in Kent today, and lots of Spitfires & Hurricanes in the skies. Going to try and finish a race tomorrow without destroying any engines, if I do it will be a first this year!
Old 11 Jul 2015, 12:22 (Ref:3557534)   #6
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quite warm out on the GP loop. A few clouds building but plenty of blue sky.
Most grids are very healthy
Old 11 Jul 2015, 15:15 (Ref:3557562)   #7
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Checking up on the Live timing every now and then and catching some of the accompanying commentary.

This week for once it is loud enough to be audible.

However - who have they got doing the post race interviews?

And why?
Old 11 Jul 2015, 16:28 (Ref:3557569)   #8
brands
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Checking up on the Live timing every now and then and catching some of the accompanying commentary.

This week for once it is loud enough to be audible.

However - who have they got doing the post race interviews?

And why?
Brian Jones and Lord knows why
Old 11 Jul 2015, 17:35 (Ref:3557574)   #9
brands
Veteran

The F3 race was close between two forumers
Old 11 Jul 2015, 20:28 (Ref:3557604)   #10
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Ha ha yes it was great fun . My mate who owns the car I'm driving announced after race that the slicks are four years old . Wondered why I was working so hard . Will resume battle tomorrow .
Old 12 Jul 2015, 09:22 (Ref:3557749)   #11
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had a great day yesterday, spot on weather and good, close racing from all involved. Great to see the cars getting used as they should be.

Here my vid and pics, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA8c...ature=youtu.be

https://www.flickr.com/photos/geordi...57655337502769
Old 12 Jul 2015, 10:38 (Ref:3557762)   #12
brakedisc
Racer

brakedisc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Davies on Davies was a bit of a lunge.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 11:44 (Ref:3557803)   #13
jodi
Racer

United Kingdom
Northants
jodi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had a great day yesterday, shame about some organisation
Old 12 Jul 2015, 18:31 (Ref:3557926)   #14
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
The Historic Road Sports/FiScar race seems to have had a few problems ... two red flags and not much racing.

I hope everyone is OK - anyone able to fill in what happened ?
Nick
Old 12 Jul 2015, 18:50 (Ref:3557939)   #15
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
The Historic Road Sports/FiScar race seems to have had a few problems ... two red flags and not much racing.

I hope everyone is OK - anyone able to fill in what happened ?
Nick
I thought you had entered for this one Nick? I hope whatever kept you away is not too serious.

Based on the Live Tthere was an almost iming commentary from Mr. Titchmarsh there was a bit of a problem at Paddock Hill on about the 3rd lap with leading cars going off as if on oil and people spinning a lot - so red flagged.

At the re-start, scheduled for 3 laps, there was an almost immediate coming together resulting in a nasty shunt so another red flag. At which point with a lengthy clear-up to undertake it was decided that there was no time to try again.

So far as was mentioned there were no serious personal injuries - perhaps no injuries at all although a few good shakings no doubt.

It's probably a different matter for a few of the cars.

I stand to be corrected on that information if it proves to be inaccurate.

Hooligans all of course ....
Old 12 Jul 2015, 19:21 (Ref:3557952)   #16
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
Grant,
Thanks ...I was watching the Live Timing too, but just could not get an audio feed.

Yes, I entered the race ... and yes, I left home at 0700 in the Chev Camaro, all noisy & shiny. By 0730 I was stranded on the M25 with a non-functioning muscle car. It's an ignition problem and not one I or the AA could fix. Back home on the top of an AA wagon.

The Chev has been really reliable over the last 3 years but has definitely got something against going to Brands - clutch fail in 2013 and now this. I will get to the Superprix one year !
Nick
Old 12 Jul 2015, 20:05 (Ref:3557965)   #17
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Sounds like my Oulton bogey. Class win in 2008, and 2 disasters thereafter

Coupled with the indescribable hell of actually getting there and home I vowed never to return, a shame as its a nice circuit.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 20:33 (Ref:3557969)   #18
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Grant,
Thanks ...I was watching the Live Timing too, but just could not get an audio feed.

Yes, I entered the race ... and yes, I left home at 0700 in the Chev Camaro, all noisy & shiny. By 0730 I was stranded on the M25 with a non-functioning muscle car. It's an ignition problem and not one I or the AA could fix. Back home on the top of an AA wagon.

The Chev has been really reliable over the last 3 years but has definitely got something against going to Brands - clutch fail in 2013 and now this. I will get to the Superprix one year !
Nick

That's a blow Nick.

You'll have to make a concerted special effort next year with a Support Vehicle on a "just in case" basis. Get there no matter what and if problems have occurred fix them at the circuit. Or, if not, you would have the means to get home anyway.

Obviously only required for Brands ....

The Audio feed was, finally, pretty good but to be the little control symbols are back to front and it has its own volume control to add to the system volume control (Or controls - my machine seems to have several layers of audio controls although that's not a problem for the live commentary from MST. However it does sometimes set multiple Mute controls unannounced)

Also there were times when it seemed appropriate to re-load the link BUT the audio part of that may just have been Mr. Titchmarsh "doing a Benaud" and staying silent when there was not much to say.

Overall it was pretty good and James Beckett doing the post race interviews seemed to work pretty well I thought. Easy to listen to - for those of us with sound.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 20:50 (Ref:3557973)   #19
brands
Veteran

A sump full of oil was dropped from before Paddock Hill bend all the way to the dip and beyond.
The #46 hit it first and went through the gravel and hit the "soft" barriers (actually started the restart), then the followed 10-15 cars hit the oil and departed the scene left and right. Only one got stuck in the gravel, no one hit anyone else. Red flag.

After much laying of cement dust a 3 lap, no green flag lap, race was started, one car failed to go and got rear ended. Red flag and end of race.
Didn't witness the second incident but it was cleared quickly and assume drivers were OK.

Home now, good meeting from the spectator POV, preferred the weather yesterday.

Photos to follow in the week.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 06:58 (Ref:3558119)   #20
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
A sump full of oil was dropped from before Paddock Hill bend all the way to the dip and beyond.
The #46 hit it first and went through the gravel and hit the "soft" barriers (actually started the restart), then the followed 10-15 cars hit the oil and departed the scene left and right. Only one got stuck in the gravel, no one hit anyone else. Red flag.

After much laying of cement dust a 3 lap, no green flag lap, race was started, one car failed to go and got rear ended. Red flag and end of race.
Didn't witness the second incident but it was cleared quickly and assume drivers were OK.

Home now, good meeting from the spectator POV, preferred the weather yesterday.

Photos to follow in the week.
Sitting on the grid for the restart, I was expecting a green flag lap. When everything was ready, there was a 1 minute board, quickly followed by the 30 seconds then 5 seconds and then no green flag but lights and the start. I suspect that others were also surprised and I don't know if this was the reason that some cars did not move off the grid, maybe it was the time waiting on the grid with hot engines, but it was one of the Elans that received a big impact which scattered quite a lot of fibreglass on the track.

Apparently the commentators (and therefore spectators) had been told about there being no green flag lap - pity the drivers weren't.

Finished up as a great disappointment as we had to be at the circuit early as we were the second practice but the race wasn't until 4.55 pm. Long day for only 2 competitive laps......but at least the Alfa has now completed a race.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 10:40 (Ref:3558160)   #21
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched from Paddock Hill and the commentators mentioned several times that there would be no green flag lap. Given that all the complaining I heard afterwards was about how long it took to regrid there's no excuse for not telling all the drivers what was happening, there was plenty time while the long fluid spill was dealt with, all the way from P Hill to Druids.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 12:03 (Ref:3558176)   #22
bigvalveelan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gaunts Common, Wimborne
bigvalveelan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HRS redflagged race

I was in Car no 46 (Turner) that was first on to the scene of the dropped fluid and went straight for the barriers at unabated speed. The gravel slowed me a fair bit and the soft barriers saved my car from being very badly damaged. I was surprised to be able to continue - I would vote that other circuits make more use of them.

As for the restart, I was told that there would be no green flag lap and I could see the grid marshals making their way through the grid telling people. I would definitely have preferred a sighting lap, with my main focus being the cement and fluid at paddock with a full grid of cars. Fortunately for me, I was able to get to the front and then go fairly sedately through the corner, only to see the red flags again.

Bob Rowe was in the Elan that got rear ended. He is a bit sore, but ok. His car is a terrible mess though - we'll find out quite how bad when we get the remains of the body off later today. The 911 that caught him has some damage (that won't be cheap either) but it faired much better than the plastic Lotus.

Some good points - I was using HANS (have been all season) and despite hitting the barrier pretty hard, I have had no ill effects at all. And the fuel tank in the Elan didn't split despite being pretty well mashed!

A great shame, as HSCC had run a fantastic two day meeting.

Paul
Old 13 Jul 2015, 12:45 (Ref:3558181)   #23
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

I was in HFJ directly after the red flagged race

we were in assembly area, first were to to ldwait and be prepared for a longer wait
that at least avoided cooked engines....
i saw the tractor leave with mechanical dust sweeper and resigned myself to stay calm until it returned because nothing would happen before that

later were all shown a board with a map where to expect oil
very helpfull that
there was no mention on the change to starting procedure in our grid
if there was some, then I missed it (grumble, not impossible, but...)
luckyly for me, i twigged it, when on the grid, 1 min and 30 secs boards were shown, i then realised that they had shortened the starting procudure to make up lost time

after my race, first thing was sprint to assembly area to warn my mate in the Porsche in 70ies Road Sports about the shortend procedure.
he knew already, they must have been told in a clearer way

my 0,02 pounds worth:
we now wear modern padded close fitting helmets and in my case the best earplugs money can buy
you can shout at me and wave arms, wont make too much of a difference unless you speak directly into my visor
but if you hold a sign at me, i can read that, even with my earplugs in

FJs have learned that long ago, prize-giving time is announced in assembly area by somebody waving a sign at each and every driver...

R.E
Old 13 Jul 2015, 13:30 (Ref:3558193)   #24
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
i spoke with my mate in the Porsche in the 70ies roadsport

they were NOT told about the altered procedure
he watched our start and came to his own conclusion

i can only repeat: annoucements on the tannoy are no use in a car wearing a helmet

R.E.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 14:03 (Ref:3558205)   #25
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvalveelan View Post
I was in Car no 46 (Turner) that was first on to the scene of the dropped fluid and went straight for the barriers at unabated speed. The gravel slowed me a fair bit and the soft barriers saved my car from being very badly damaged. I was surprised to be able to continue - I would vote that other circuits make more use of them.

As for the restart, I was told that there would be no green flag lap and I could see the grid marshals making their way through the grid telling people. I would definitely have preferred a sighting lap, with my main focus being the cement and fluid at paddock with a full grid of cars. Fortunately for me, I was able to get to the front and then go fairly sedately through the corner, only to see the red flags again.

Bob Rowe was in the Elan that got rear ended. He is a bit sore, but ok. His car is a terrible mess though - we'll find out quite how bad when we get the remains of the body off later today. The 911 that caught him has some damage (that won't be cheap either) but it faired much better than the plastic Lotus.

Some good points - I was using HANS (have been all season) and despite hitting the barrier pretty hard, I have had no ill effects at all. And the fuel tank in the Elan didn't split despite being pretty well mashed!

A great shame, as HSCC had run a fantastic two day meeting.

Paul

Paul

The message didn't get further back unfortunately.

But if you're interested my wife got some dramatic pictures of your impact - or perhaps you'd rather forget it!

And 100% agree about using a HANS, I adopted one at the end of last season and I'm very happy to have the extra security it offers.