Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jun 2002, 22:05 (Ref:319217)   #1
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
Tom Fuller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Michael retired then...

If Michael Schumacher retired from Formula 1, the sport would be so much more interesting.

I mean look - he leads the championship with 70 points, after 8 rounds, 80 points max, has won 4 championships, always wins. If there was no Michael, then there'd be a better championship battle.

What are your views
Old 22 Jun 2002, 22:22 (Ref:319226)   #2
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has the best car in terms of speed over a race distance, as well as the most reliable car. In terms of raw speed over a qualifying lap, he is not the best in the world, but in terms of racecraft, he is. And the combination of those factors makes the championship what it is at the moment.

However, I don't want him to retire. Not until JPM beats him thoroughly.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 22:26 (Ref:319228)   #3
Rambo
Racer

Rambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone remember 1992? How Nige walked away with that one with a brilliant, worldbeating car and a team mate that always moved over for him? Everyone cheered for our Nige, didn't we?

Hypocrites.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 22:28 (Ref:319231)   #4
Rambo
Racer

Rambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mind you, it's a great complement to him. **** off, Michael, you're too good! RAOTFPMLMAO
Old 22 Jun 2002, 22:36 (Ref:319240)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rambo, can you remember Nige driving people of the track to win the championship? Can you remember his teammates pulling over with 100m to go? I believe not.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 00:21 (Ref:319285)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mansell always fought with his teammates (remember the famous Piquet/Mansell duels? One of which led to a WDC for Alain Prost?) He may have been a bit of a drama queen sometimes but he was a racer who made the most of the talent that he had.

And incidentally, he didn't whine that oval racing was "too dangerous" -- he went out there and competed and won, even when other race drivers tried to park on top of his head! [Does Dennis Vitolo sleep with the fishes nowadays or what?]
Old 23 Jun 2002, 01:12 (Ref:319294)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by R
In terms of raw speed over a qualifying lap, he is not the best in the world, ..............
I beg to differ, and I am sure Red will also.

And I don't even like the guy.
(MSch I mean, Red is OK )

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 23 Jun 2002, 02:08 (Ref:319311)   #8
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He'll probably retire next year if he beats Fangios record in 03. I cant see anyone beating the Ferrari next year either - unless Michelin get it all right and Bridgestone get it totally wrong.

Williams are way behind in aero - it'll take longer than a season to catch up to Ferrari.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 02:16 (Ref:319315)   #9
kwd
Racer

kwd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be cheering for DC to kick Pablo's rear.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 02:57 (Ref:319325)   #10
jpmontoya_fan
Rookie

jpmontoya_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Michael retired then..... (I say it in other site) everybody will be happy, the sport will live again, the dirty moves on the track will dissapear, the peace will be reached, there will not be more hunger or plagues in the world, the earth will be one just country, in one word everything will be fixed.

But I agree with "R", I just want him retired after Juan Pablo kick him right to h**l. Chao!!
Old 23 Jun 2002, 03:25 (Ref:319327)   #11
Aussiefan

I wonder if people would be saying the same thing if Michael was in a team that wasn't winning all the time.

Old 23 Jun 2002, 04:02 (Ref:319335)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Probably, then maybe not.

Old 23 Jun 2002, 04:06 (Ref:319337)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Michael retired, then:

Unless someone really bursts onto the scene, Ferrari will begin to struggle. Team infrastructure would slowly break down as TGF is the one who holds it all together - many are ex-Benetton men and only there because he is.

Most likely, Williams would begin to dominate.

Allegations of cheating would not go away, they'd just follow someone else. Supporters would find someone else to despise and abuse.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 04:15 (Ref:319343)   #14
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree entirely with your first statement, F1Manoz. Jean Todt is not the boss of Ferrari F1 - Michael Schumacher is - and I supremely doubt that the team will the championship the year after he is gone...that man, I am not sure how, pulls the team together, and is the centre of the prancing horse universe. And yes, I believe Williams would dominate, with Renault and Toyota licking at there heels, along with traditional rivals, Mclaren.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 05:22 (Ref:319370)   #15
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
Williams are way behind in aero - it'll take longer than a season to catch up to Ferrari.
how are you so sure that ferrari's main advantage is in the aero department????
i'd say its more to do with the "made to suit ferrari but no one else" bridgestones than anything else that is giving them the advantage.
williams and, to a lesser extent, mclarens problems this year stem from the fact that the michelins are still pretty cra**y in race conditions, and are made to suit a variety of cars, not just one.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 06:51 (Ref:319386)   #16
kwd
Racer

kwd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
If Michael retired, then:

Unless someone really bursts onto the scene, Ferrari will begin to struggle. Team infrastructure would slowly break down as TGF is the one who holds it all together - many are ex-Benetton men and only there because he is.

Most likely, Williams would begin to dominate.

Allegations of cheating would not go away, they'd just follow someone else. Supporters would find someone else to despise and abuse.
Kudos f1manoz everyone loves to see 'the best' fall and I say that loosely because no-one can prove anything til identical equipment is driven,although history is built on conquests and failures.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 07:20 (Ref:319397)   #17
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know what! (I apologize, but I have to bring communism here). Long time ago, someone compared communism with a farmer. He looked at his field and saw that some of his grains grew higher and others didn't grow as much. He wanted to make them equal, but instead of helping the short ones to grow he decided to cut the tops. :confused: Yes, he made them equal, but that's the definition of complacency in mediocrity.

PS: VB Indeed I beg to differ too! But that's not important (I mean showing balls over a single lap)!
Old 23 Jun 2002, 07:23 (Ref:319398)   #18
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:"If there was no Michael, then there'd be a better championship battle."

Think of it this way...if there are more drivers of Michael's calibre and ability, then there'd be a better championship battle.

I prefer seeing many great drivers fighting it out... not taking out the better ones, leave the crappy ones to make a joke out of rookie racing.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 07:24 (Ref:319399)   #19
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And that is precisely why, despite supporting Michael, i am always happy to see JPM, Ralf, Nick, Fisi, etc do well...because i think they are good, they are bringing the fight to the best...
Old 23 Jun 2002, 09:24 (Ref:319445)   #20
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, JPM has the most number of poles, and the most number of fastest laps (in races) so far this season... I'd say he's better over one lap than Michael. But Michael is better (so far) over a race distance. But that also has got to do with the fact that JPM's equipment keeps breaking when he's in those positions to threaten Michael (for example Brazil (OK, someone else broke it for him) and Indy last year, Canada this year). To me, Williams' problems seem to have more to do with tyres (they seem to come on and off) and lack of engine reliability, than aero. But then again, I'm no technical expert.

I hope Michael doesn't retire, because I love the duels JPM/TGF. We're watching two great drivers in action, make no mistake about it. The old master, Michael Schumacher, with four World Championships and 59 GP victories, versus the up and coming Juan Pablo Montoya, with just the one GP win to his name so far, but destined to be just as great as TGF, if not greater. I want to watch these two battle it out on the track, for race wins and championships, in a close-fought battle. But for that to happen, JPM's bad luck will have to stop. We were robbed of a great duel in Canada.

Last edited by R; 23 Jun 2002 at 09:37.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 10:07 (Ref:319461)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by R

I hope Michael doesn't retire, because I love the duels JPM/TGF. We're watching two great drivers in action, make no mistake about it.
Your right of course R,but my main concern though is that the Williams will not come up to the standard of the Ferrari in TGF's time left in F1.

Read this in this weeks Autosport by Nigel Roebuck, a man who knows a thing or two about Motorsport.
As much of a fan of Barrichello as i am, still there are times when i mutter to myself, "jesus, if only Montoya were in the other Ferrari....." It will never happen of course, because Michael is too autocratic - and too smart - to let it. "
Old 23 Jun 2002, 10:12 (Ref:319470)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Red

PS: VB Indeed I beg to differ too! But that's not important (I mean showing balls over a single lap)!
Again, I beg to differ. MSch has won many races in previous years ( not that important this year) by putting in the necessary hot laps before coming into the pits. His qualifying ability is well known, and he is no stranger to pole position on the grid.
Runar, when you say he's not the fastest of drivers over a single lap, the inference here is that he is relatively slow over a single lap, (that's how the English language works). That he has fewer poles or fastest laps than JPM this year means little, the fact is that on many ocasions, MSch has gotten pole, and is usually right up there in time.
God!! I can't believe I am actually defending this guy. OK everybody, please disregard this post. :confused:

Old 23 Jun 2002, 10:13 (Ref:319472)   #23
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Mr v,

its trulli

Old 23 Jun 2002, 10:19 (Ref:319478)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Mr v,

its trulli

Sorry VB, you've lost me, whats Trulli?
Old 23 Jun 2002, 10:22 (Ref:319482)   #25
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VB, R, Montoya has more fastest laps than Schumacher (3 as opposed to 2) but I wouldn't say that he has more poles. They're both equal on 3.

PS: Mr V, I believe that Trulli is the guy that should drive the car no. 2, but unfortunately the chances to see that are next to zero.