Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 26 Aug 2011, 11:53 (Ref:2946283)   #26
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
only spectated twice BEFORE marshalling silv 2008 bsb the last time before marshalling, so i didnt bother much anyway. wouldnt dream of going to a club event to spectate now, thats what tv's for! ill only spectate on sat and marshal sun next year at wsr and the like the big events because there's always shed loads to do... i wouldnt want to go photog it as to me its only worth taking photos at club rallies for the local clubs as every tom dick and harry decends on a circuit weekend with kit that the amateur cant justify the cost of a £3500 camerax2) .
Old 26 Aug 2011, 12:25 (Ref:2946304)   #27
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
We tend to to to places like LM and Spa either as media or just as spectators. We don't really watch very much we go to the events as many of our friends are there and we enjoy the overall experience. I don't really have the patience to sit in a viewing area for hours on end watching cars going around. We watch a lot of endurance motorsport on TV LMS/ALMS etc. which I suppose is spectating without getting wet or sunburnt!

I dont consider watching racing on tv etc as really spectating, I'm at work at the moment with the Belgian G.P second free practice blaring out of one of the computers on my desk. But I wouldn't call that spectating. In my book spectating is getting up at silly o'clock, driving hundreds of miles, paying a fortune to sit and watch cars through binoculars because they are so far away.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 18:53 (Ref:2946570)   #28
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my 20+ years of marshalling I've only spectated twice and both times it was with a hospitality package paid for by someone else!
Old 26 Aug 2011, 20:30 (Ref:2946612)   #29
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
only at stock car racing on the knockhill tri-oval and cowdenbeath, doesnt feel right being on the other side of the fence in civvy clothes
Old 26 Aug 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2946613)   #30
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's plenty of events that I spectate at. Taking the boys along has also helped to change my view (probably wouldn't go by myself). It's great to go to a sprint or hillclimb and have a decent look around the paddock, but I wouldn't marshal it.

Also been to Le Mans several times, but don't have any real desire to marshal.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 07:49 (Ref:2947484)   #31
Matt Hunter
Racer

England
Exmouth
Matt Hunter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't spectated at all this year. It's been really strange not having about 200 photos to go through. I will be for the first time this season at ILMC on the Sunday, but marshalling rest of that weekend.
I agree it'll certainly be strange being able to move about for a change. Plus it'll give me a chance to FINALLY have a nose at the Wing
Old 29 Aug 2011, 09:34 (Ref:2947547)   #32
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Completely lost the ability to spectate.
I'm not quite that bad but I find it hard being at an event and seeing things go wrong or being done badly and not having the ability to do something about it.

Mind you I've attended one or two things and ended up working at them because someone spotted me and has decided I needed to help out.

I hardly ever go to events I'm not working at these days as sometimes one needs to have a quiet weekend at home, mainly to get ready for the next event of course
Old 29 Aug 2011, 09:56 (Ref:2947561)   #33
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apart from the complimentary tickets to the Rockingham Stages for regular Rockingham marshals, in 6 years of marshalling I've spectated twice & both times it just felt wrong!
Old 29 Aug 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2947887)   #34
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I always spend a day spectating at the Silverstone Classic. My wife, kids and parents/in laws love it plus it gives me a chance to have a good look around. I've also watched the LMS at Silverstone, a couple of Fridays at the GP (before I could marshal it) and been to help out friends racing. Nothing beats being on the bank though!!
Old 30 Aug 2011, 00:34 (Ref:2948060)   #35
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
Nothing beats being on the bank though!!
Well I'd argue that being in the driving seat does.....

But when I can't do that, I've done some marshalling, some spectating - mainly because as self-employed I have to work when something needs doing, and can't easily commit well in advance to being available to marshal - so if I find myself available will drop in on a meeting I'm interested in to spectate....I suppose you can offer to marshal at short notice, but it does require a bit of faffing about, and I guess its easier to spectate, and I do like to be able to move around and spend time in the paddock - particularly when I know the competitors.....

Unfortunately a lot of the time I don't get to either drive, marshal or spectate....
Old 30 Aug 2011, 05:48 (Ref:2948109)   #36
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spectated for the first time since I became a Marshal, yesterday.

I went along to the Gold Cup at Oulton (took the other half and little lad to show them around my "other" home ).

I really enjoyed it to be honest and got to see the rally boys and girls strutting their stuff, which I've not been able to do in the past due to being on a post somewhere else. I would do it again, it proved to them how passionate I am about my hobby, because I didn't shut up about various things all day

But, I still prefer to be out there, trackside, even in the foul weather we had all weekend.

Elliot.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 08:09 (Ref:2948152)   #37
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've done the spectating thing a few times since I started and it does feel a little odd.

I'm planning on taking a day off the bank at the Classic next year, so that I can have a look round the paddock and may do the same at one or two other events.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 09:10 (Ref:2948190)   #38
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave vass View Post
You're nearly right! I get the best view in the house; from the commentary box!!
Beg to differ Dave, you're far to far away from the track!