Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Mar 2016, 01:32 (Ref:3625789)   #1
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Last Sydney 500 at Homebush in 2016... Will Gosford Replace It?

change of dates for sydney 500

Also this will be the last v8 race at homebush
Old 22 Mar 2016, 02:14 (Ref:3625783)   #2
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
change of dates for sydney 500

Also this will be the last v8 race at homebush
Not surprised by either to be honest. Regional city events do seem to add more to the local economy than those in big cities.
Old 22 Mar 2016, 02:31 (Ref:3625787)   #3
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So with the money saved from building and tearing down the Olympic track. Better spent on the Motorsport Park or Wakefield?
Old 22 Mar 2016, 02:44 (Ref:3625790)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A genuine shame to take V8SC out of metropolitan Sydney.

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 22 Mar 2016, 02:46 (Ref:3625791)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
So with the money saved from building and tearing down the Olympic track. Better spent on the Motorsport Park or Wakefield?
No chance, and neither it should be

Unrelated to this post for general info, I didnt title the thread, posted in the 2016 silly season and it was moved here)
Old 22 Mar 2016, 03:35 (Ref:3625794)   #6
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

On a weekend it takes a maximum of 20 minutes to drive from Homebush to Eastern Creek so it is hardly taking the category out of metropolitan Sydney.The proposed Gosford race is dependant on the state government being prepared to underwrite V8SA operating losses the way it was done in the initial Cochrane-MacDonald contract for Homebush.They are hoping that they will get access to a money pit again because it will be classified as a regional event.Highly unlikely.
Take them to Thailand.
Old 22 Mar 2016, 03:55 (Ref:3625795)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
On a weekend it takes a maximum of 20 minutes to drive from Homebush to Eastern Creek so it is hardly taking the category out of metropolitan Sydney.
Its hardly the same infrastructure for the teams to work from, or to showcase their product being worked on, nor with the same ease of public transport by catching a train right to the front door.

I guess some people got what they wished for..
Old 22 Mar 2016, 04:50 (Ref:3625798)   #8
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Its hardly the same infrastructure for the teams to work from, or to showcase their product being worked on, nor with the same ease of public transport by catching a train right to the front door.
I love watching the racing at EC but it is a stinkhole with horrible access in and out.

Plus to get there from where I was living in Sydney (Zetland) was all but impossible apart from at midnight.
Old 22 Mar 2016, 05:52 (Ref:3625801)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Is it a shame?

I mean sure some people had high hopes for the event - however this event has failed to deliver on each and every metric it advertised its government investment on.

Where was the evidence or business case for this to continue?
Old 22 Mar 2016, 06:32 (Ref:3625803)   #10
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After all the hype in 2009, what an inglorius end for an event we were promised (told?) would be the greatest thing since sliced bread for V8Supercars, SOP and Sydney itself.... what did it all achieve in the end??

Wasn't this event supposed to be the final piece of the puzzle to confirm that V8Supercars had finally become a big time sport??

Seven years later and all the talk from 2009 was a load of hot air, the event has dropped away alarmingly ever since about 2012, the last year they had the concerts that had been so central to the forecasted success of the event back in 2009 when we were promised international superstars like Kyle Minougue (seriously) to go along with the racing.

Seven years later and the current man at the helm, Mr Warburton, has still been quoted lately as saying V8Supercars are Australia's biggest secret....

Interesting to read this article from just after the first one in 2009......
http://www.motoring.com.au/motorspor...sh-roar-17623/

Quote:
nor with the same ease of public transport by catching a train right to the front door.
The ultimate problem for the event which some have always missed over recent years is that not enough punters were actually catching the train to the front door! (or driving, or walking etc.. for that matter)
Old 22 Mar 2016, 07:29 (Ref:3625819)   #11
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can put up my hand and say i was one that badly wanted this event to work, but it missed on so many levels that ultimately forced its demise. Whilst the infrastructure was great, the viewing for the general punter was nothing short of atrocious and as the event went by there were even less and less atrocious spots for the GA punter to stand. Add to that the ludicrous charges to walk into a hallway to watch cars being worked on (3 day pit passes only even if youre there for friday only) and little in the way of relief from the weather. In a city with so many entertainment options and so little disposable income, the Sydney 500 quickly earnt itself a name as a poor value event, especially from the time when V8Supercars themselves seemed to stop caring about the race.

RIP Sydney 500, a good idea poorly executed.
Old 22 Mar 2016, 09:11 (Ref:3625850)   #12
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So much potential.

A lot like the Canberra race, sadly.
Old 22 Mar 2016, 09:27 (Ref:3625862)   #13
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Mayhem, I reckon that your last sentence sums it up very well.

To me it was a great shame that the environs at this event and in particular the facilities for GA spectators were not developed more over time to improve the experience for spectators.

If that approach had been taken, it may well have led to stronger spectator attendance and a longer-lasting event.

Hopefully those lessons will be learned and applied to any replacement event.
Old 22 Mar 2016, 11:42 (Ref:3625912)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Lets see which of the Newcastle/Gosford/Northern Beaches/Sydney Harbour proposals gets dusted off international public airing in the next few days as a replacement
Old 22 Mar 2016, 13:30 (Ref:3625944)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
we were promised international superstars like Kyle Minougue (seriously) to go along with the racing.
I'd rather listen to a V8, to be honest...
Old 22 Mar 2016, 14:17 (Ref:3625963)   #16
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Shame, I loved the layout and it put on some great racing.
Old 22 Mar 2016, 21:46 (Ref:3626092)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Shame, I loved the layout and it put on some great racing.
If only that was the criteria for government investment
Old 22 Mar 2016, 22:47 (Ref:3626102)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
If only that was the criteria for government investment
NSW Government Invests $1.6bn in Ball Sports Stadiums

Personally, I would prefer a racetrack or seven but the government apparently knows what its doing
Old 22 Mar 2016, 22:59 (Ref:3626107)   #19
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can agree on fixing Parra Stadium but tossing $800m at Allianz/Moore Park is ludicrous. The difference in the V8s/Homebush story and the NRL/NSW Gov story is that the government s asking for the NRLs support and not the other way around.

The only possible way the V8s will get NSW government assistance for their precious street races from here is to take it out of the city and rely on the money coming the regional development coffers. Although with Mount Panorama currently asking for $20m from the NSW government (as part of a $50million development) for their new circuit, the Baird government may see this as enough funding for motorsport at this stage.
Old 22 Mar 2016, 23:03 (Ref:3626108)   #20
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I can agree on fixing Parra Stadium but tossing $800m at Allianz/Moore Park is ludicrous. The difference in the V8s/Homebush story and the NRL/NSW Gov story is that the government s asking for the NRLs support and not the other way around.
The utter graft and corruption institutionalised in the NSW continues unabated.

You can bet your backside the motivation for these developments is as much political "donations" from property developers and/or pollies with a vested interest in one way or another.
Old 22 Mar 2016, 23:14 (Ref:3626110)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
NSW Government Invests $1.6bn in Ball Sports Stadiums

Personally, I would prefer a racetrack or seven but the government apparently knows what its doing
V8SC received government investment - the discussion here is that they failed to deliver on its promises for that investment.

Bringing up ball sports and crying poor isnt helping your argument GTR.
Old 22 Mar 2016, 23:15 (Ref:3626111)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
V8SC received government investment - the discussion here is that they failed to deliver on its promises for that investment.

Bringing up ball sports and crying poor isnt helping your argument GTR.
I have no argument.. Maybe the NSW government can spend the $5m a year contributed to use of existing assets towards improving the spectator facilities at Eastern Creek?
Old 22 Mar 2016, 23:24 (Ref:3626113)   #23
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
The best thing they can do at the Creek is move the tip that resides next door. Then move Parra Speedway out there. And re-open Corporate Hill to punters. And work on the logistics of parking.
Old 22 Mar 2016, 23:30 (Ref:3626118)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
AFL gone, V8 supercars gone

Wonder what will go next
Old 22 Mar 2016, 23:35 (Ref:3626122)   #25
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Gone from where?