Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Jun 2016, 10:54 (Ref:3652900)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Matt White

V8 Supercars, Moto GP, F1 , rugby union.. Do we have to see his annoying face everywhere? Just glad he isn't commentating NRL games.
Old 26 Jun 2016, 10:18 (Ref:3655187)   #2
William5
Racer

William5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MotoGP?
Old 14 Jan 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3702516)   #3
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
V8 Supercars, Moto GP, F1 , rugby union.. Do we have to see his annoying face everywhere? Just glad he isn't commentating NRL games.
I fail to see what is so bad about him. People have blamed him for a lot he hasn't done when the Fox deal was done I know that
Old 15 Jan 2017, 19:45 (Ref:3702761)   #4
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceci1 View Post
I fail to see what is so bad about him. People have blamed him for a lot he hasn't done when the Fox deal was done I know that
Only heard him on V8SC, so here goes.

He's just a **** commentator, with a very annoying voice. He's a "rent a commentator", doesn't know any particular sport intimately, so just rambles and spouts out worthless crap as he's only calling what he can see, which is the same as we can all see. He has no background info or knowledge, didn't use to be a driver / team owner / whatever, and that info that only comes from experience ( ala Crompton, Skaife, Larkham etc ) is what makes a decent commentator in my book.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 00:19 (Ref:3702796)   #5
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
Only heard him on V8SC, so here goes.

He's just a **** commentator, with a very annoying voice. He's a "rent a commentator", doesn't know any particular sport intimately, so just rambles and spouts out worthless crap as he's only calling what he can see, which is the same as we can all see. He has no background info or knowledge, didn't use to be a driver / team owner / whatever, and that info that only comes from experience ( ala Crompton, Skaife, Larkham etc ) is what makes a decent commentator in my book.
Fair enough, what about Rhianna Crehan. Personally I also think she is a good commentator, but I am surprised that she hasn't been looked at for no background. The only knowledge Will has is how to whinge and swap teams. I also support Will but its the truth
Old 16 Jan 2017, 01:20 (Ref:3702821)   #6
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Fair enough, what about Rhianna Crehan. Personally I also think she is a good commentator, but I am surprised that she hasn't been looked at for no background. The only knowledge Will has is how to whinge and swap teams. I also support Will but its the truth
Hold on a minute, wasn't she a former Miss V8/Indy winner or something??? That completely qualifies her doesn't it??

Anyway if Matt White was Martha White and had a decent body, no one would be complaining, everyone would be lining up for a date....
Old 16 Jan 2017, 02:24 (Ref:3702831)   #7
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
Hold on a minute, wasn't she a former Miss V8/Indy winner or something??? That completely qualifies her doesn't it??

Anyway if Matt White was Martha White and had a decent body, no one would be complaining, everyone would be lining up for a date....
No I think that was Tahan
Old 16 Jan 2017, 02:36 (Ref:3702837)   #8
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
No I think that was Tahan

Rhianna was Miss V8 in 2004 or 2005 - something like that.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 03:26 (Ref:3702840)   #9
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 16 Jan 2017, 03:34 (Ref:3702841)   #10
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Rhianna was Miss V8 in 2004 or 2005 - something like that.
Apparently Tahan was as well, was Dave Reynolds grid girl too
Old 16 Jan 2017, 04:08 (Ref:3702845)   #11
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Can't string two words together, sooner she is replaced the better.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 08:14 (Ref:3702873)   #12
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Can't string two words together, sooner she is replaced the better.
Agree 100%. Even the drivers dont like talking to her.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 16 Jan 2017, 08:28 (Ref:3702878)   #13
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
He's a "rent a commentator", doesn't know any particular sport intimately, so just rambles and spouts out worthless crap as he's only calling what he can see, which is the same as we can all see.
So was Bill Woods, Garry Wilkinson, Darrell Eastlake (although he raced a little) etc... David Croft who fronts the F1 coverage is the same

Perhaps Matt White tries a little too hard to come across like he wants the viewer to think he is/was a racer and that could be what hurts him. The likes of Woods, Wilko & Dazza were open that they weren't racing drivers, left the tech talk to their sidekicks, and just got excited about the action infront of them....
Old 16 Jan 2017, 08:38 (Ref:3702879)   #14
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The SC coverage generally doesn't paint Ms Crehan in a very good light.

When she hasn't got a director barking into her ear-piece, she's ok.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 02:07 (Ref:3703057)   #15
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Fair enough, what about Rhianna Crehan.
She's another one that needs to find a new job that has nothing to do with commentary or motorsport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
So was Bill Woods, Garry Wilkinson, Darrell Eastlake (although he raced a little) etc... David Croft who fronts the F1 coverage is the same

Perhaps Matt White tries a little too hard to come across like he wants the viewer to think he is/was a racer and that could be what hurts him. The likes of Woods, Wilko & Dazza were open that they weren't racing drivers, left the tech talk to their sidekicks, and just got excited about the action infront of them....
Right you are, but somehow these guys managed to pull it off, whereas Mr White just comes across as a tool. I think you may be on to something there, saying perhaps he's tries too hard. Woods, Wilkinson, Eastlake, etc, all never pretended for one second they were qualified in any way and never tried to make the viewer think that either, they left the tech stuff to the pros / ex drivers of the day.

I don't know why they think they need Matt White or that blonde piece. Neil Crompton has hosted the entire show before and did fine. Just keep him, Skaife, Murphy and Markham in the pits, and it'll be much better, and a lot less cringe-worthy.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 03:52 (Ref:3703073)   #16
William5
Racer

Matt White will be back for a special edition of RPM: Summer Series starting this Saturday.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 02:11 (Ref:3704163)   #17
McLean Fan
Racer

Australia
Currumbin
McLean Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rhianna Crehan is the real world embodiment of the Smurfette Principle.

From Wikipedia :
The Smurfette Principle is the practice in fiction, such as film and television series, to include only one woman in an otherwise entirely male ensemble. It establishes a male-dominated narrative, where the woman is the exception and exists only in reference to the men.

Effectively, Rhianna is our Smurfette.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 18:44 (Ref:3704262)   #18
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William5 View Post
Matt White will be back for a special edition of RPM: Summer Series starting this Saturday.
That show was a waste of time, nothing but repeated segments. With all the news since Homebush, not one item mentioned. Hope next week is not more of the same.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 02:52 (Ref:3704374)   #19
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLean Fan View Post

From Wikipedia :
The Smurfette Principle is the practice in fiction, such as film and television series, to include only one woman in an otherwise entirely male ensemble. It establishes a male-dominated narrative, where the woman is the exception and exists only in reference to the men.

Gold
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 24 Jan 2017, 05:37 (Ref:3704658)   #20
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLean Fan View Post

From Wikipedia :

Be interesting to see how Shea Adam compares to Rhianna in her pit reporting role at the Supercars Events 12hr next weekend.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 06:03 (Ref:3704659)   #21
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If past experience is any indicator of future performance, like chalk and cheese.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 06:39 (Ref:3704664)   #22
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
If past experience is any indicator of future performance, like chalk and cheese.
Agreed, Shea usually appears to be bored, speaks in a monotone with little apparent enthusiasm and brings little real insight to the role.

Rhianna displays a genuine enthusiasm and her interview with Will at Bathurst last year was a highlight, although like Shea, she brings little real insight to the role.
Old 24 Jan 2017, 09:51 (Ref:3704705)   #23
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ms Crehan could offer insight as she has done in the past, but isn't being utilised that way.

Does have medical and fitness background. Has potential to touch on things not normally spoken about.
Old 25 Jan 2017, 07:55 (Ref:3704922)   #24
William5
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
That show was a waste of time, nothing but repeated segments. With all the news since Homebush, not one item mentioned. Hope next week is not more of the same.
I believe it will be the same, but it will only be half hour.
Old 25 Jan 2017, 22:49 (Ref:3705100)   #25
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Agreed, Shea usually appears to be bored, speaks in a monotone with little apparent enthusiasm and brings little real insight to the role.

Rhianna displays a genuine enthusiasm and her interview with Will at Bathurst last year was a highlight, although like Shea, she brings little real insight to the role.
Actually, I don't think we do agree. I believe that Shea is a better pit lane reporter than Rhianna.

That being said, I have more exposure to Shea through her RadioLemans.com work than Rhianna and her VASC gig.