Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 29 Mar 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1264364)   #1
Dob
Rookie

Dob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Medical Conditions

Hi all,

about 18 months ago I was diagnosed as being epileptic and although its now controlled with drugs I havent driven or riden anything since. I find this a real ***** as I used to love driving and riding my bike. So, as I'm not allowed to drive on the road I was looking into driving off the road. Anybody know of the rules on this sort of thing at track days? Is it really nescassary to hold a current road licence?

I can guess the answer would be no chance.

Cheers,
Dob
Old 29 Mar 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1264683)   #2
pootles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Berkshire
pootles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Short "n" sweet

Don't know for sure but I would guess that unless you have a current driving license the organisers may not allow.

Current valid drivers license being one of the few things you need to produce on the day.

Good luck! Oh! let me know when you're going. I might give it a miss. Hope you can take a joke?!!!!
Old 30 Mar 2005, 12:16 (Ref:1265198)   #3
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dob,
I'm pretty sure that you need to present a valid driver's licence at any trackday, whether circuit or airfield (because it's an organised day). However, it would be worth checking with the organisers themselves. I would suggest an honest email to either Jonny Leroux at Bookatrack or Marcus at EasyTrack (both websites are .co.uk). Both will be very helpful, and keen to find a way to take your money if at all possible. I think you know the answer, but worth a punt.

There is another possibility. Have you considered private hire? Brands Hatch may be beyond your means, but you could consider the smaller venues like sprint tracks. Perhaps:
- Curborough: Near Lichfield. About £300 for a full day, up to 10 cars (so find a few mates). Small and tight, but it does have a loop that you can keep circulating. Only one vehicle on track at a time.
- Llandow: Near Swansea. About £100 a head, if you mix with others. More open and faster, though still quite short (35 sec lap). Up to 6 cars on track. However, sweet talk them, be flexible, and you will find a day when there are only a couple of others there (and you'll get loads of empty track time)
I've never been asked for my licence at Curborough. I can't remember at Llandow, but I do know they will be flexible (last time I was there, a 14 year old was planning a first run in an FFord). Both have websites (probably .co.uk, but Google will find them)

Sure, you'll get no Paddock Hill or Cascades, but in your situation I guess something is better than nothing. You might also be able to take both car and bike. So arrange a vehicle, chauffeur, and some mates to make a day of it. I think you'll find a good way to scratch your itch.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 12:58 (Ref:1265240)   #4
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having asked BaT about somebody sans licence recently, I believe the main issue is one of insurance unfortunately...
Old 31 Mar 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1266525)   #5
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Insurance will be the main problem. As has been said earlier some of the smaller venues may be able to help easier than the main circuits. The reason I say this is twofold firstly bigger venues bigger costs. Secondly the smaller venues insurance restrictions might not be so strict. Good luck in your endevours, but do talk to your consultant about this before you take this any further. Who knows he might even support you if he feels your condition is under control.