Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Nov 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1457337)   #26
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
It woesn't really possible to have a huge gravel trap. There's a small river just behind the Tamburello-corner.
There was and is room for a gravel trap and tyre wall
Old 10 Nov 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1457355)   #27
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal
Surely a tire wall at least. Ayrton hit a concrete wall, Roland hit a concrete wall. Remember how tyres saved Luciano Burti at Spa despite losing nearly no speed in 2001.

I never saw the Osterreichring live but for what is worth, the A1 Ring usually provided some passing and good racing.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1457356)   #28
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the time of Senna's death the suspension was made of steel (or a metal in any case) And what killed him, was not the wall, or the speed differential of the accident, but the suspension hitting him in the head.

Today suspension is made from carbon firbre (I think) and is designed to shatter in the event of a crash like that.

Imola didn't really have much choice but to alter that corner, because to landscape past the stream would have been too expensive.

---

The A1 Ring wasn't a patch on the old track, but it was a excellent race track.

---

Brands did hold the deal to host the British Grandprix, polictics destroyed it. But to upgrade to modern F1 standards would have completely destroyed the soul and character of the Brands Hatch track. Lots of trees would have bitten the dust. And although the new Hockenhiem can produce some good races, Many of pine after the old flat stretch through the forrest.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1457361)   #29
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James North
At the time of Senna's death the suspension was made of steel (or a metal in any case) And what killed him, was not the wall, or the speed differential of the accident, but the suspension hitting him in the head.
I know the facts, have heard and read about them a hundred times, but surely if he had hit tyres instead of concrete there was a much better chance of the crash not being as violent, therefore not thrusting the suspension arm into his helmet?
Old 10 Nov 2005, 18:54 (Ref:1457429)   #30
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But that gravel trap was just too small.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1457443)   #31
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
But that gravel trap was just too small.
I have seen small gravel traps stop a car or truck just as effectively as a big one or even more effectively. It is not the size of the gravel trap but the size of the gravel itself that counts. At Brands there is a larger gravel stone than at Silverstone and it works.

Last edited by ascarmarshal; 10 Nov 2005 at 19:10. Reason: spelling
Old 10 Nov 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1457569)   #32
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The A1-Ring did hold some good races, as I think I mentioned earlier, but it's not a patch on the old track. You got good races there too, and just watching the cars go tround that track at an average speed of about 150mph or whatever it was, really was amazing. Imagine how fast that track would have been in this era of F1.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1458013)   #33
WapFlap
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
WapFlap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats true, but Turkey is cool imo. And thats because of the height diffrences etc. Sakhir and Shanghai are too flat and not exciting.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 11:40 (Ref:1458016)   #34
WapFlap
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
WapFlap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ah, that message above was a reply on pingguest @ page 1 Haven't noticed the other pages
Old 11 Nov 2005, 11:53 (Ref:1458025)   #35
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I have seen small gravel traps stop a car or truck just as effectively as a big one or even more effectively. It is not the size of the gravel trap but the size of the gravel itself that counts. At Brands there is a larger gravel stone than at Silverstone and it works.
After extensive personal research, I can verify that the gravel traps work better at Brands than anywhere else. I think I still have samples in my race boots...