Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Nov 2008, 00:00 (Ref:2335527)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John Bowe

When the music stops, at the life of a hired gun changes dramatically, it can lead Here

Here's hoping the treatments assist Mr Bowe, and he is able to manage the problem.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Nov 2008, 00:08 (Ref:2335531)   #2
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hope John can recover to his former self. After seeing this, I'm worried Mark Skaife might follow the same path.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 01:00 (Ref:2335544)   #3
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the link GTR.

I observed John at the Sandown Historic meeting last weekend, and he was simply a face in the crowd, albeit, a very popular one.

He was doing a fair bit of hand shaking, back slapping & was chatting and smiling.

As much as it is unfortunate to hear of his condition, I applaud him in being public with it, to assist others.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 01:18 (Ref:2335547)   #4
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
That's sad to hear, hopefully he has the people around him to help him get through this. When you've been doing something for most of your life and then you stop doing it, it can be a profound change.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 02:16 (Ref:2335557)   #5
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good on John for speaking up about it, I hope he gets the support he needs.

The Drag Racing community is currently grieving the loss of one of their own because of depression.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 03:05 (Ref:2335567)   #6
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07
That's sad to hear, hopefully he has the people around him to help him get through this. When you've been doing something for most of your life and then you stop doing it, it can be a profound change.
There's a lesson here for all of us. We get fed up with work and look forward to retiring, only all too often we find that having nothing to replace work can have unexpected, negative impacts on our lives.

I have observed retired relatives and friends, and listened to informed comment made by doctors. We must prepare ourselves for our senior years. When we retire from our regular jobs there needs to something meaningful and social to replace it......casual work, unpaid work, charity work and hobbies. I have read more than once, that when it comes to the brain "use it or lose it!" One retired friend once said to me "you can't play golf everyday"......he is now the unpaid president of the golf club and occupied with management issues.

That's my 2 cents worth......feel free to comment.

I wish JB all the best for the future and thank him for having the courage to speak out.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 03:55 (Ref:2335580)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I could tell JB was hanging on and didn't want to go, but there are heaps of things he can still do like Carrera Cup, Historics, driver training, manufacturer programs, targas, etc. Also it might be good to find other things in life of interest outside motor sport.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 05:26 (Ref:2335616)   #8
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My support of MOvember makes it all worthwhile.

Keep the chin up John.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 05:51 (Ref:2335627)   #9
PhaseIII
Racer

Australia
In a Land Down Under
PhaseIII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MOphotos ???
Old 16 Nov 2008, 06:17 (Ref:2335634)   #10
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Too ugly - LOL
Old 16 Nov 2008, 08:18 (Ref:2335662)   #11
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA
Good on John for speaking up about it, I hope he gets the support he needs.

The Drag Racing community is currently grieving the loss of one of their own because of depression.
I know who you are talking about Driver, he was a fantastic bloke, so full of life and extraordinarily generous, the last person you would suspect to have depression.

I applaud JB for having the guts to air his struggles, hopefully it will help someone have the courage to seek help when they have lost hope.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2335700)   #12
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is stupid, to be honest. Stop sobbing and get out on the track! Race in production cars, PCC, historics, maybe even improved production. He has the name, reputation, money and passion to do it, and raise the profile of other championships in the process.

V8s are not the end all and be all. It's disappointing that someone as intelligent as JB fails to see that.

Last edited by RotorFan; 16 Nov 2008 at 10:40.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 10:45 (Ref:2335706)   #13
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you summed up your own post perfectly with your first six words.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2335725)   #14
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've got no idea what your talking about Rotor.

You don't understand how low people get with depression.

I've lost 2 friends over the years to depression. No one knew until it was too late.

go research the topic and understand it before making anymore dumb posts!
Old 16 Nov 2008, 12:09 (Ref:2335745)   #15
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
Too ugly - LOL
As far as I can recall, both the before & after photos fit the above description...

A fuzzy 'Mo', trev, dont expect a kiss from me when we neext meet.

BTW: Rotor, Out of Line this time.

Most of what i read from you is good, today you missed the mark, by a long shot.

I'm with TBA, Depression is a pox on humanity, and those that are afflicted need support, not a misguided "get over it" attitude

Last edited by Rachel Richards; 16 Nov 2008 at 12:13. Reason: karp spalling
Old 16 Nov 2008, 19:29 (Ref:2335986)   #16
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
This is stupid, to be honest. Stop sobbing and get out on the track! Race in production cars, PCC, historics, maybe even improved production. He has the name, reputation, money and passion to do it, and raise the profile of other championships in the process.

V8s are not the end all and be all. It's disappointing that someone as intelligent as JB fails to see that.
I have to agree with Rachel Rotor, you are out of line.

I have worked closely with people who were suffering the effects of post traumatic stress disorder to try help them through their problems, so until you understand what you are tlaking about it is best to be quiet.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 20:59 (Ref:2336031)   #17
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a bit of a surprise. I've done a lot of work with him this year and he's always appeared to be the same old JB.

Then again, he was either driving a Ferrari or Lamborghini at the time!
Old 16 Nov 2008, 21:12 (Ref:2336037)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I think life changes or transitions are hard for some. No need to beat up on people over it. I think we all experience such things in our lives. As I said there is plenty for him to do and as long as friends and fans support him, he'll be fine.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 21:28 (Ref:2336046)   #19
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you're being overly defensive. It seems to me the best cure for John Bowe's depression is to get out of the house and go racing! That's what I said in my post.

Depression isn't nice, and I wasn't making light of it. But I stand by what I said. According to the article, his depression stems from the belief that V8s are the end all and be all, and that's just not true!

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 22:46 (Ref:2336088)   #20
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
I think you're being overly defensive. It seems to me the best cure for John Bowe's depression is to get out of the house and go racing! That's what I said in my post.

Depression isn't nice, and I wasn't making light of it. But I stand by what I said. According to the article, his depression stems from the belief that V8s are the end all and be all, and that's just not true!
But your previous post is based on sound reasoning and logic. Depression defies sound reasoning and logic......it is not just sadness, but something much deeper and blacker. It must be dealt with in a kind and compassionate manner......I have sometimes thought that the Lord allows people to suffer illness and trauma because until you have suffered yourself, you cannot truly understand the condition and be able to help others......JB, now that you understand, the door is opening for you to help others and in so doing, help yourself.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2336097)   #21
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
his depression stems from the belief that V8s are the end all and be all, and that's just not true!
In your opinion, but not his, so who are you to judge how he feels, you have no idea how he feels, so it is best to keep your opinions to yourself on this occasion. Thank you.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 23:40 (Ref:2336107)   #22
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly depression is sometimes taken a little lightly until someone close to you succumbs to its torment, as has happened to a dear friend over on the Ford Forums last week.

This bloke was well liked by all in the eastern states car scene, and gave his time at work and at play to almost anybody without condition. If you think somebody has depression and you dont wish to interfere, at least ask how they are going in a general sense, and reassure them of their value. It may just stop the demons long enough to pull them through the day.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 10:07 (Ref:2336293)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i see the triple 8 cars will be sporting Mo's this weekend
Old 17 Nov 2008, 11:05 (Ref:2336322)   #24
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think you're being overly defensive. It seems to me the best cure for John Bowe's depression is to get out of the house and go racing!

I am being treated for depression. Have been for eight years.

You can't get out of the house, sometimes. You are flat out getting out of bed. Nothing makes you happy. Nothing relieves the pain. Nothing. Not booze, sex, food, racing - nothing. Everything is a disappointment.

It's not about being sad, either. You can have a good laugh and still be depressed - sounds weird, doesn't it?

So to glibly say that we should get over it is incredibly insensitive. I'm going to assume you were glib out of ignorance and allow you the chance to learn.

Some people think it's something shameful to have a mental illness. Maybe it is, but if that's the case, it's also shameful to have a cold or pimples.

I hope John gets the help I've had. In the meantime people, please support Beyond Blue and the Black Dog Institute.

Kramer
Old 17 Nov 2008, 11:06 (Ref:2336323)   #25
agosling
Racer

agosling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depression is a very common thing for retiring sports people, it is far more than just not racing anymore and to suggest that he goes out and races something else is a simplistic view.

For the best part of a quarter of a century John has lived and breathed not just the racing but also the lifestyle, the adoration, the adenine, the demands, danger, the whole package that is being a professional driver and in an instant that is gone. My hope is that he has people around him who will give him the support he needs because it is a hard road and I don't want to read that he hasn't made it.

I was lucky enough to shake is hand on the grid and Phillip Island last year and I want to be able to see him many more times.

And yes, we should think about Skaife because he is going to face the same massive life changes very soon.