Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 May 2016, 10:30 (Ref:3643400)   #51
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
and i reckon we need more points for the top 3 to increase the fight for a podium
Do you think the issues that led to the current flat points system no longer exist?

HRT domination seemed to be the issue of the day, and the championship not going down to the final event...
Old 21 May 2016, 10:41 (Ref:3643401)   #52
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Do you think the issues that led to the current flat points system no longer exist?

HRT domination seemed to be the issue of the day, and the championship not going down to the final event...
the issues are still there, but to be honest that wasnt an issue for me then,

2014 didnt go down to the final event either with the current system.

I just think that encouraging people to fight for more points might spice up the race.

Todays race a great example of where more points may have encouraged some genuine passing attempts in final laps.
Old 21 May 2016, 10:58 (Ref:3643405)   #53
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it's about the points, or even a lack of wanting to make a pass. These cars are just so evenly matched that there is nearly no opportunity for a move to happen.
Old 21 May 2016, 11:06 (Ref:3643408)   #54
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by leothedrummer View Post
I don't think it's about the points, or even a lack of wanting to make a pass. These cars are just so evenly matched that there is nearly no opportunity for a move to happen.
maybe sometimes, but not always, Im of the opinion that, in at least some cases, the point gain is not worth the risk
Old 21 May 2016, 11:29 (Ref:3643412)   #55
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I just think that encouraging people to fight for more points might spice up the race.
It is possible, I mean both Ingall and Kelly's championships were not universally liked for the boring way in which they won, but you can only play to the rules as they sit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leothedrummer View Post
It is always risk vs reward. Soft tyre has created difference which have defintely spiced up the racing.
Old 21 May 2016, 11:38 (Ref:3643413)   #56
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It is always risk vs reward. Soft tyre has created difference which have defintely spiced up the racing.
Agree. More (non aero) grip is always a good thing IMO.
Old 21 May 2016, 22:54 (Ref:3643524)   #57
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More manufacturers ..... Oh wait....I think there's a category that has that now.
Am and pro drivers racing together .............. "
therefore creating more passing ...................... "
A mix of sprint & endurance races throughout the season......"
Real Supercars, not 4 door family cars .......... " (they should get done for false advertising)
O/S Teams & drivers that could slot straight in ........ " (imagine their showcase event, the Bathurst1000 with more than 26 cars)
A fan friendly TV broadcast ........................... " (ditch payTV, put it on a live YouTube channel & back to fta TV)
Less shonky "entertainment" rules ................... "
There's a lot more that could be done to fix it, like aero and tyre rule changes but after watching yesterdays processional, boring race, they'd only be polishing a turd, to change the existing or any future variances of the cars they are racing now. Unfortunately for the series, they are now in the TV doldrums, where 2 men and a dog are only going to be watching it, until later in the year.
A few fanboys on a forum and some dodgy TV ratings PR releases ain't gonna change the bleedin' obvious.
Old 21 May 2016, 23:46 (Ref:3643528)   #58
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Less shonky "entertainment" rules ................... "
Oh really?

How do pit stops work in AGT?
Old 22 May 2016, 09:11 (Ref:3643577)   #59
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
and i reckon we need more points for the top 3 to increase the fight for a podium
How about, as per Bernie, Gold medal for first, Silver medal for second, Bronze medal for third, most golds at the end of the year wins the championship? (silvers etc.. used in a tie-break). Afterall, as mentioned on the telecast today, the only team not to get a podium this year in Erebus, so its not as if there would be people with no chance.

I agree with your point completely though.

Quote:
Any GT3-style series that "took over" from Supercars (not that i see it happening) wouldn't be run as a pro-am, so therefore the AGT pit stop rules would be a non issue......

...the only issue would be minimum fuel drops and minimum pit stop numbers at Bathurst...
Old 23 May 2016, 05:11 (Ref:3643727)   #60
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh really?

The difference is, that isn't created for entertainment reasons due to the series being basically a privateers competition. Its about giving AM drivers of varying performance a chance.

Supercars has a huge advantage in all drivers being of a very high standard and in the right car pretty much the entire grid could win races.

GT3 on the other hand is opposite. Every car has a chance of winning but the drivers do not.

A full blown professional GT3 series in Australia would be very very different. Safe to say you would not have one or 2 teams dominating the way they do due to different cars suiting different circuits
Old 23 May 2016, 07:12 (Ref:3643749)   #61
velly4
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post

After that, it's more to do with making it harder to stop someone passing, and that's down to the rules. I'd be very happy to go back to the days where if you stuck your nose into a gap you've earned the right to a car's width of road and it's up to the guy outside to leave you sufficient space. Gets rid of all of this nonsense about someone being turned around because 'the other guy wasn't far enough alongside'. The laws of physics say that if he's inside, however little, he's going to be still there at the corner anyway, so you may as well frame the rules to reflect that. Hopefully the result is fewer collisions and more passing, or more exciting defences of passing attempts.
While watching the races on the weekend I thought of this post a lot. Plenty of times where drivers pulled out because they knew the driver in front would just turn in.
Old 25 May 2016, 12:28 (Ref:3644304)   #62
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We used to call it 'a good move'. You'd managed to brake later so you could get your nose just inside the back corner and that meant the driver in front had to leave you space. This then moves the overtaking battle to the middle and exit of the corner which is pretty exciting stuff - especially pre-traction control.

Far superior to the current system whereby the guy on the brakes is committed, so when the guy in front turns in collision is almost inevitable. One car spins, the other is penalised, the race is ruined. Or else the guy behind doesn't try and you end up with processional racing. It's not the cars, it's the rules.

And now in F1, apparently you don't even need to wait for the corner, you can just move over on the straight if you've cocked it up. Puts both cars out of the race, but hey, it's just a racing incident and probably the fault of the guy who had the temerity to think he could try to overtake a slower car in a straight line. Hate to think where that decision is going to lead. I suspect us marshals will be pulling a lot of junior drivers out of the wreckage before long if that gets universally accepted.
Old 25 May 2016, 23:06 (Ref:3644435)   #63
Mosport Fan
Rookie

Canada
Sydney Australia, formerly Canada
Mosport Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My current opinion of the racing is fine- the races are a decent distance, qualifying rules are good, tyre formula seems to work from what I've seen so far this season.

Off the track is what needs to change in terms of rules & politics (yes, I know, easier said than done).

For me, the next gen should be like the Trans Am Series in North America- with the variables being controlling the amount of technology in play. T/A is mainly V8's as it is. The bigger classes are admittedly silhouette-based, but that doesn't mean the same approach needs to be done here- you could use Mustang and Camaro bodies and chassis without really tube framing it. I know there's 5 classes in T/A now, but again you don't need to follow that formula here to a T.

It's just my 2 cents- I know some might agree and some will disagree....but I think that might be helpful in keeping interest in the series (considering the pull out of Volvo, Ford etc). Seems to work over there, why not here?
Old 27 May 2016, 03:08 (Ref:3644733)   #64
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dont mind your idea, but will the manufacturers stop teams from using the body shapes as it appears Ford have said they will do if the proposed Mustang is used in VASC?

As an aside I'm actually not entirely sure how car companies can do that but it seems like racing a car without consent is treading on rights to intellectual property?
Old 27 May 2016, 03:19 (Ref:3644738)   #65
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Prohibit the changing of tyres at the same time as refuelling.
Old 27 May 2016, 03:38 (Ref:3644745)   #66
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Prohibit the changing of tyres at the same time as refuelling.
can you explain to me how that would spice things up?

Seems a bit of the opposite in my mind, but maybe im missing something
Old 27 May 2016, 10:30 (Ref:3644824)   #67
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
can you explain to me how that would spice things up?

Seems a bit of the opposite in my mind, but maybe im missing something
Sorry I wasn't very clear.

During a pit stop tyres can can only be changed after refuelling is completed.

Teams will then need to decide whether the extra time taken to change tyres will be able to be made up with the new tyres. The same as the WEC and other endurance series.

Moving to only two tyre changers would probably be necessary to slightly lengthen the tyre change time.
Old 27 May 2016, 12:12 (Ref:3644846)   #68
velly4
Racer

Australia
Quote:

Teams will then need to decide whether the extra time taken to change tyres will be able to be made up with the new tyres. The same as the WEC and other endurance series.

Moving to only two tyre changers would probably be necessary to slightly lengthen the tyre change time.

I was thinking the same thing. Adds another variable to strategy.

Teams would really have to weigh up the pros and cons
Old 27 May 2016, 20:42 (Ref:3644953)   #69
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Very much the sportscar method, it works well.
Old 27 May 2016, 22:52 (Ref:3644976)   #70
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Don't really think some circus act in the pitstops will help,you may as well get each driver to shear a sheep while the tyres are getting changed if you want more excitement.
Old 28 May 2016, 02:18 (Ref:3644990)   #71
dirtymacca
Racer

dirtymacca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Don't really think some circus act in the pitstops will help,you may as well get each driver to shear a sheep while the tyres are getting changed if you want more excitement.
That would give the Kiwis a problem........
Old 28 May 2016, 11:57 (Ref:3645062)   #72
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A minimum of a 900HP and a decent diff. Oh, and let 'em rev to 9000 as well. That brings up another curly issue for the future, different motors what are they going to do about the stupid rev limit they now impose.
Old 29 May 2016, 03:57 (Ref:3645358)   #73
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Burnouts allowed at any point in the formation lap. Creeping allowed at the start as long as you don't go outside your grid box.
Old 30 May 2016, 06:35 (Ref:3645720)   #74
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
A minimum of a 900HP and a decent diff. Oh, and let 'em rev to 9000 as well. That brings up another curly issue for the future, different motors what are they going to do about the stupid rev limit they now impose.
Horsepower and rev limit isn't going to improve the racing, everyone will be the same effectively.

Diff could make a difference, but skeptical its going to be a huge difference.
Old 31 May 2016, 00:17 (Ref:3645934)   #75
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Non spec tires.

Development Series cars allowed to run in the 1000, for as many as grid can hold. In case of dev entry overflow there would be prequalifying. All of those Dunlop cars would be categorized as "Class 2" entries but would obviously still be visible in overall results.